Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

"Top Not Secure"

Blue Steel

My XLR/V(s)
2005 Blue Steel XLR .... 40,000 miles
I took the car out today for a nice ride, top went down with no issues. I went to put the top back up before I put it in the garage and it would not go up. The trunk looked like it was up all the way but there was a message on the DIC that said "Top Not Secure". I could hit the top switch and lower the trunk but if I try to put the top up it gets to the same condition and the error message pops up. What do I need to do to get the top to come up? I'm at a loss on this one. Is it possible the cargo cover in the trunk has come loose and needs to be reseated into its storage position. Any ideas???

I believe you get a different message if the partition is not secured, but you can check it to make sure. You may have a sensor going bad. Try and lift the back of the top to see if it is secured.

I took the car out today for a nice ride, top went down with no issues. I went to put the top back up before I put it in the garage and it would not go up. The trunk looked like it was up all the way but there was a message on the DIC that said "Top Not Secure". I could hit the top switch and lower the trunk but if I try to put the top up it gets to the same condition and the error message pops up. What do I need to do to get the top to come up? I'm at a loss on this one. Is it possible the cargo cover in the trunk has come loose and needs to be reseated into its storage position. Any ideas???

If this problem doesn't go away, you may have a position sensor or switch issue.

When a sensor value doesn't match what's stored in the system's memory, the Folding Top will not advance to the next step. This is a protection measure because the system doesn't know the position of a component. In your case, the Front Tonneau folded up, the rear deck lid raised, the Header Latch should open and then the operation stopped. The next step is for the Rear Tonneau to retract.

First, inspect the physical mounting of the Front Tonneau position sensor; it's located between the seats at the front of the trunk behind the fabric cover. If it's loose, that will affect the resistance value. Ensure the Front Tonneau isn't mechanically binding and is moving to the fully extended position, by manually moving it as per the Owner's manual instructions.

Next, check the physical mounting of the Rear Tonneau position sensor. It is located on the left/rear scissors lifting mechanism. You could unlatch it and re-stow it to move the sensor per the same procedure in the Owner's manual.

Running the cycle again with the Header Latch cover removed, you should see the hex head rotate as it opens. When it opens, it sets a switch to inform the Folding Top Control module it has changed position. The switch is pretty reliable, so I would be more inclined to believe this to be sensor-related.

If everything looks and operates mechanically, you can manually raise the top and lock it into place. You need a Tech 2 to examine the system in operation and perform a sensor re-learn if a sensor is out of tolerance or replaced.

This will likely mean a dealership visit if you don't have access to a Tech 2.

CCC :wave:

Last edited:
probably isn't stated enough,,,

,,,but I'm sure glad that we have Cubby and CC here to answer the tough questions about the XLR.

You both are much appreciated by me, and those you 'help' assist with their questions!

Don't ever leave us................

I believe you get a different message if the partition is not secured, but you can check it to make sure. You may have a sensor going bad. Try and lift the back of the top to see if it is secured.

Correct, you will get an error message (CLOSE CARGO COVER) on your DIC if the Luggage Barrier switch is not closed.

CC :wave:

Last edited:
When I get that message I just do like cubby558 said. Get out of the car and check the partition. Sometimes it gets loose every now and then.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for the accolades, but there are many on here far more smarter than I; ccclarke for one. It helps to have the service manuals and a Tech II. I've not had any major problems with the two I have owned, but try and search my manuals when someone posts a problem. As ccclarke has stated, this car is very advanced electronically and singling out one thing is difficult without the proper guides and tools.

,,,but I'm sure glad that we have Cubby and CC here to answer the tough questions about the XLR.

You both are much appreciated by me, and those you 'help' assist with their questions!

Don't ever leave us................

Top Not Secure

When I got up this morning I popped the trunk and made sure the cargo cover was secure. I gave a look to the top in the stowed position and everything looked to be proper. I tried to pull up on the top as it was stowed and there was no movement. I pushed down and in as well on the top and it appeared that there was no movement in either of those directions either. I took the car out for a ride and when I got back home figured I would try the switch to raise the top and it went up with no issues. I had a few things to take care of around the house and then the wife and I went for a ride out to an early dinner. I cycled the top completely down and up a few times at the house with no issues, and when I got back from dinner no issues, the top went right up. I may take it in to the dealer to have them run the codes to see if there may be a sensor starting to go bad. Thanks to all for the great advice on this site! :thumbsup

The small black panel behind the role bars that lifts stright up and is the last piece to go down before the trunk closes when you put the top down, what is this called?

It has a rubber strip at the side that touches the panel that tucks up under the trunk when the top is up. Mine doesn't go down all the way when the top is down, the rubber gasket or strip doesn't fold under the panel.

What has to be adjusted to make this panel lay flat?

"Top Not Secure"

Found out My side flap bar was bent. That was making the area not close completely. So for just the "shop time" they fixed the problem. My service guy just bent the bar back in place.
On my labor and parts list it tells me it's the center tonneau cover and outer tonneau cover. I guess the rubber trim comes all in the same.
881ecd0cdbb32de9414a201542fbede5.jpg
3033fb34e97c694d75997d497969af6c.jpg

The dealer was trying to find the listing for this in parts for me. Their price was $281.84 for mine. The parts and labor sheets I got lists the price for 04-05 black 203.44 (r) and 191.99 (l) then the 2006-09 203.44-171.03 depending on weither it's left side or right side But that's what they dealer was saying

Last edited:
Hawkeye thanks for the pictures. The part #15 is the center part that does not go down flat, it's about 1/4 inch too high. The part 27 that is in yellow on the page, on the passenger's side, was not popping up all the way and I had to use my hand to make sure it came up all the way. I did this a couple of times and that was last year. It has not malfunctioned since but that center panel still does not lay flat as it should.

Maybe a relearn would solve that problem?

Yeah your welcome. My main problem was a hole in the rubber right side. So that's when I took it in to my dealer, when they finally found the parts listed. They came up with the 2 hundred something price. I don't think that includes labor charge. But the center is still not to my 100% satisfaction. But the center wasn't the problem. The problem was the outer flaps.

The panel (three to be exact) in question goes by two names: Front Closeout Panel and the more commonly used term, Front Tonneau. The center portion is adjustable via it's three retaining fasteners.

It's late, but I'll review the adjustment DVD and Service manual and attempt to put together a halfway-coherent procedure in a day or two.

Thank you cclarke

It's late, but I'll review the adjustment DVD and Service manual and attempt to put together a halfway-coherent procedure in a day or two.

Adjustment DVD??? There's a adjustment DVD? Never heard of it! How'd ya' get that? That would be interesting to watch!

Adjustment DVD??? There's a adjustment DVD? Never heard of it! How'd ya' get that? That would be interesting to watch!

I have the two workbooks for the GM XLR Tech course and the GM Folding Top Troubleshooting and Repair DVD. Both are very rare.

I will be putting them up for sale (along with my Tech 2) in the next two months. Watch for them in the Classified section if you're interested.

CC

Sounds very interesting. I would like to get my hands on it too. If the price is right.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

Is there a hint there that maybe you are getting rid of the XLR as well?

I have the two workbooks for the GM XLR Tech course and the GM Folding Top Troubleshooting and Repair DVD. Both are very rare.

I will be putting them up for sale (along with my Tech 2) in the next two months. Watch for them in the Classified section if you're interested.

CC

You are correct. I'll be trading the XLR in, and want my Tech 2 and other XLR-related things going to a good home where they will be used. I'll post more when it happens. Until then, I'll run a last scan to ensure it's in tip-top shape just before I turn over the keys.

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back