Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

Help! Transmission situation.

Thanks for the pic helpful. Now on the trans lever is there a round stud that the clip attaches too,or is there a ball stud ? Maybe ill jack mine up and see for myself. Then I can see the condition of mine.
Just from the pictures looks like the white bushing probably dry rotted,cracked causing it to fall out. Then the black clip fell off the rod attachment on the trans lever. Not allowing the cable to shift anything. Need something to keep the larger black clip from coming off the lever even if the white one breaks. Ill post when I get a chance to look at mine and see what's going on.

Shift cable

Thanks for the pic helpful. Now on the trans lever is there a round stud that the clip attaches too,or is there a ball stud ? Maybe ill jack mine up and see for myself. Then I can see the condition of mine.
Just from the pictures looks like the white bushing probably dry rotted,cracked causing it to fall out. Then the black clip fell off the rod attachment on the trans lever. Not allowing the cable to shift anything. Need something to keep the larger black clip from coming off the lever even if the white one breaks. Ill post when I get a chance to look at mine and see what's going on.

got off work last I had no time to finish my contraption. Lol!! Will post soon..

A few questions? Is this plastic grommet on both ends or just top or bottom, next ? to get to the trans end what all needs to be removed to get access to this cable? Where can one buy the XLR manual books with diagrams & repair direction? The older these cars get the more beneficial I see these manuals becoming and probably less available to find them! Mine's a base 05 model!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Dan & Wendy
"05 GRAND DADDY"

Shift cable

A few questions? Is this plastic grommet on both ends or just top or bottom, next ? to get to the trans end what all needs to be removed to get access to this cable? Where can one buy the XLR manual books with diagrams & repair direction? The older these cars get the more beneficial I see these manuals becoming and probably less available to find them! Mine's a base 05 model!

Dan & Wendy
"05 GRAND DADDY"

The Gromment is at the Trans and the gear shifter,it's a solid so call rubber gasket that get brittle from heat from the muffler, to get to the cable u r suppose to remove the tunnel plate which has 36 screws then the cable is exposed. But I didn't do all that it takes about 4hrs. I took the Gromment out of the new cable. But I'm work on a sturdy way to eliminate that problem. If u Google shift cable diagram one will pop up.

Thx! That would mean also dropping H pipe on exhaust correct? That's below tunnel plate right?

Dan & Wendy
"05 GRAND DADDY"

The Gromment is at the Trans and the gear shifter,it's a solid so call rubber gasket that get brittle from heat from the muffler, to get to the cable u r suppose to remove the tunnel plate which has 36 screws then the cable is exposed. But I didn't do all that it takes about 4hrs. I took the Gromment out of the new cable. But I'm work on a sturdy way to eliminate that problem. If u Google shift cable diagram one will pop up.

yes that y it takes 4hrs to do the job,then u have to realign the pipes. The housing that holds the Gromment in place seem to be really strong,cause I held it with needle nose pliers to put the new gromment in.

25889637-cadillac-xlr-xlr-v-cashmere-wood-shift-knob-control-lever-bolt-5.jpg

i think rushmore stated he was able to pop the new grommet out of the new cable,
and pop it into the old cable still installed in the car. then snapping it back onto the stud(part13/14)
without removing any other parts like tunnel plate or H pipe...
if it was the end by the shifter, could probably do the same by just exposing the shifter.
the cable, though flimsy, probably wont ever break.
update: cable wont break, but it can kink and the weak plastic tubes/guides on either end can break!
have to be very careful not to snap off the weak plastic parts when working on the end by the shifter,
or you will have to replace the whole cable.

Last edited:
stole this from the corvette forums, i bet it works for us too.
common problem for auto trans corvettes
plastic bushing inside cable end disintegrates, either at shifter or at trannny.
bushing can be replaced!!
common kit mentioned on C5 and C6 repairs
dorman 14041 $6 at autozone
use 2nd smallest bushing
403 - Forbidden

at corvette forum was some discrepancy if same bushing worked on both shifter end AND tranny end, most said it absolutely does.
someone with a new cable in hand could confirm if kit bushing looks similar to whats in both cable ends...

from the c5 section
Automatic Shifter Failure - Page 4 - Corvette Forum

and the c6
c6 shifter linkage problem resolved. - Corvette Forum

some mentioned an oversized stud kit for the tranny side
a simple replacement kit for $21 from here
this one is for the c5 , i bet it fits, i will email the company... update there kit is only for the c5.
ours is actually similar to the c6. they dont have a c6 kit. not compatible, maybe have to drill it out or something.
92-05 Corvette 4L60E Shifter Cable Repair Pin | ATF Speed.com

Last edited:
rushmore, with your new cable missing the grommett, you are a prime candidate to test out the dorman kit 14041, that would verify if it fits the end by the tranny. and you could return your unused like new cable to the dealer for full refund!!:thumbsup

Shift cable

rushmore, with your new cable missing the grommett, you are a prime candidate to test out the dorman kit 14041, that would verify if it fits the end by the tranny. and you could return your unused like new cable to the dealer for full refund!!:thumbsup

The c5 stud looks different from the xlr stud. Tomorrow I will post some pictures of the Gromment kit I have. And I'm going to take the new cable apart.

So how do you get to that trans. Cables from the top or bottom without removing any parts? Is the tranny exposed enough to get to that cable with long needle nose pliers? And if so would it be possible to change the cable or you can't maneuver it to both ends! Sorry for so many ?s but never had the pleasure to encountered the look

Dan & Wendy
"05 GRAND DADDY"

GREAT POST

Thanks - this is most helpful. This set-up is very similar to a Jeep Wrangler. Can't really tell if it's possible here, but I put a metal "cap" fastener on the end of the rod from trans link after it goes thru the hole in the cable - keeps it from coming loose the next time this plastic bushing fails. Not sure if you can do that on the XLR.

Thx! That would mean also dropping H pipe on exhaust correct? That's below tunnel plate right?

Dan & Wendy
"05 GRAND DADDY"

Dan, yes when they fixed mine they had to drop the exhaust to get the tunnel off & replace the entire cable. As you know I have the Corsa exhaust like you & the same guy who put it in was involved with the cable replacement, so he was VERY careful not to mess up the alignment.

The work everyone is sharing on this thread is great! :thumbsup

GDaddy,
only the rear is reachable without removing anything, so can only pop the bushing in and out.
if the front is loose, from my readings,
it is easier to repair from underneath the car,
remove tunnel plate, remove exhaust Hpipe, and then front bushing by the shifter is easily reached from underneath
without having to open up center console inside the car.
others say it is possible to fix the shifter bushing from inside the center console,
but they said it was really tight and would be way easier from underneath.
that is just if its a bushing replacement.
if you had to replace the entire cable, you would have to remove the tunnel plate and H pipe as there are brackets for the cable inside the tunnel.

It gives you a warning!

When I experienced this problem, as posted recently, I was completely surprised.

I won't be again.

Since the replacement process, which included the complete system, there is a profound difference. Before it broke there was a slight bit of play in the shift lever. Not huge but noticeable. Since the replacement the shift process is tight, precise and fast. In manual mode the shift is instant from the standpoint of feel.

When you feel even the slightest looseness in the lever get ready.

And when it goes can you say...stranded.

Flick the traction control and you can chirp it in 2nd and 3rd at 6000 and change.

When I experienced this problem, as posted recently, I was completely surprised.

I won't be again.

Before it broke there was a slight bit of play in the shift lever. When you feel even the slightest looseness in the lever get ready.

I actually had the opposite experience - the shifter ended up really loose after the cable was replaced. I figure they never tightened the adjustment at the transmission end of the cable. I drove it like that for quite a while, then when I was having a bunch of other work done I had the dealer check it & they replaced the shifter itself (so maybe my suspicion was wrong). NOW I have snappy shifts!

O5 XLR , TRANSMISSION WILL NOT GO INTO GEAR

i WAS DUMBSTRUCK THIS MORNING WHEN I FIRED UP RAVEN FOR THE 2ND TIME TODAY (05 XLR) AND WAS UNABLE TO SHIFT OUT OF PARK. I CALLED MY MECHANIC AND HE PROCESSED A TOW TRUCK TO MY HOME. THANK GOODNESS THE CAR WAS IN MY DRIVEWAY. MY NEXT STEP WAS TO GO ON THIS WONDERFUL SITE WHICH IS PERFECTLY CRAFTED, AND HUGELY INFORMATIVE. I SEARCHED THE PROBLEM AND CAME UP WITH BUKI'S ( APOLOGIZE IF MISSPELLED ) EXACT SAME PROBLEM. MEMBERS RESPONDED AND POINTED OUT IT WAS PROBABLY THE TRANNY CABLE, WHICH IT WAS. i WAS CONCERNED THE FLAT BED DRIVER WOULD NOT BE ABLE TO ROLL THE CAR TO THE LIFT SINCE WE WERE LOCKED UP. WHEN HE ARRIVED i EXPLAINED THE POSSIBLE PROBLEM , VIA XLR NET'S CONTRIBUTORS. HE ASKED ME TO POP THE HOOD SO HE MIGHT BE ABLE TO RELEASE THE TRANNY OUT OF GEAR. I DID AND THEN REMEMBERED TO TELL HIM IT COULD BE ACCESSED AT THE TRAN. UNDER THE REAR END. BEING A LARGE MAN LOOKING AT A LOW BACK END HE JACKED THE REAR UP AND WHEN HE GOT UNDER HE COULD SEE THE CABLE WAS DETACHED AND THE END PIN WAS BROKEN. HE MANEUVERED IT BACK IN PLACE WITH THE HOPE I COULD SHIFT INTO REVERSE , AND THEN DRIVE THE CAR IN MYSELF WITH THE IDEA I COULD AVOID $150 TOWING FEE. THE GUY WAS AWESOME AND I MUST CERTAINLY DOUBLE PAY THIS ONE FORWARD. THE CAR STARTED AND HE WAITED TO SEE IF I COULD THEN GET INTO DRIVE WITHOUT HIM HAVING TO RECONNECT IT AGAIN WHILE JACKED UP. I WAS ABLE TO SHIFT TO DRIVE AND WAS ON MY WAY TO SANTA MARIA A 30 MINUTE DRIVE FROM PISMO BEACH, AFTER PROFUSE THANKS AND A NICE TIP. SO I'M ON THE FREEWAY AND ONCE I HIT 65 I NOTICED THE FRONT HOOD BOUNCING. AWW SHUCKS (THAT'S NOT WHAT I REALLY SAID) I RECALL PULLING THE HOOD RELEASE BUT IN ALL THE EXCITEMENT NEVER LOCKED THE HOOD BACK DOWN. IMMEDIATELY PULLED OFF TO THE EMERGENCY LANE, SINCE I HAD ONE HOOD POP OPEN ON ME YEARS AGO, ( A LIL PORSCHE BATHTUB) AND IT WAS QUITE EXPENSIVE. AND I WASN'T ABOUT TO HAVE THAT HAPPEN AGAIN. SO I'M ON THE SIDE OF THE FREEWAY IN DRIVE AND THE XLR WILL NOT ALLOW ME TO PUT THE EMERGENCY BRAKE ON. IF I GO TO PARK I'M IN THE SAME PLACE I WAS THIS MORNING. MAYBE I CAN JUMP OUT REAL QUICK, RUN TO THE FRONT AND JUMP BACK IN REAL QUICK WHILE THE CAR WAS CREEPING FORWARD SLOWLY. NAH, THAT IDEA SCREAMED 6:00 NEWS AND BESIDES THAT WHILE IN DRIVE I COULDN'T RELEASE THE DOOR. WELL I COULD ALWAYS CLIMB OUT THE WINDOW REAL QUICK..NOT...
THEN I THOUGHT, ALRIGHT PUT ON THE EMERGENCY FLASHERS AND DRIVE SLOWLY IN THE RIGHT LANE ALL THE WAY TO SANTA MARIA, AND THEN I THOUGHT , BOY I SURE GOT UP ON THE STUPID SIDE OF THE BED TODAY. AND GEE WHY DIDN'T I THINK TO PEE BEFORE I SAID GOOD BYE TO THE TOW TRUCK DRIVER AND TOOK OFF. GEEEZZZ. DUH, I DROVE SLOWLY TO THE NEXT EXIT AND PULLED OFF INTO A BUSINESS WHERE I SAW A FEW LINGERER'S BY THERE TRUCK. UH EXCUSE ME " WOULD YOU BE KIND ENOUGH TO PUSH THE FRONT END OF MY HOOD DOWN IF I PROMISE NOT TO RUN YOU OVER". THE LOOK I RECEIVED COMPELLED ME TO GIVE A REASONABLE EXPLANATION FOR MY DILEMMA REGARDING THE EXQUISITE PIECE OF MECHANICAL ENGINEERING I WAS SOMEWHAT TEMPORARILY TRAPPED IN.... HAHAHA, I ARRIVED SAFELY AT THE MECHANICS AND BECAUSE OF ALL THE EXCELLENT INFO FROM THIS SITE I WAS ABLE TO EXPLAIN TO MY MECHANIC THE PROBLEM AND THE PART #. I'M GRATEFUL IT WASN'T MECHANICAL.. THANK YOU ALL FOR YOUR CONTRIBUTIONS TO THIS SITE. NEEDLESS TO SAY IT HAS BEEN A CRAZY DAY FOR ME, IT STARTED THIS MORNING 1ST THING WHEN I WAS AT MY THERAPY APPOINTMENT. MY THERAPIST TOLD ME MY NARCISSISM CAUSES ME TO MISREAD SOCIAL SITUATIONS, I'M PRETTY SURE SHE WAS HITTING ON ME.... THANKS FOR LISTENING, DAVID

Possible Transmission Problem

My 06 XLR V was at at Chev dealer to get a new battery. When I left the dealer I noticed that my check engine light was on. Then when driving away the trans shifted to 3rd and seemed to miss a gear, emitted a thud and then 3rd engaged. From there it would not shift, up or down. I stopped the car and shut off the engine. I restarted it and the transmission shifted normally. I returned to the dealer and they ran the codes. It showed P 2730 and P 0700. The suggested fix was a new trans module at a cost of $1,135. I declined and drove the car home after I had them clear the codes. The check engine light did not come back on and the trans is shifting just fine. Could the problem I experienced have been related to the battery replacement, as in an electrical issue or a computer glitch caused by the battery change, or should I dig into the trans?
The car has 42K and is a garage queen.
I posted on this thread because I couldn't figure out how to post a new thread.
Help would be much appreciated.

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back