Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

Visor Vanity Light Cover

jjsea55

Seasoned Member
My XLR/V(s)
2006 Black Raven XLR-V, Shale interior
Just noticed my driver vanity light cover has broken off (I rarely use the visor, much less the mirror). My wife uses her passenger side vanity with more regularity, and when I checked it the left clip was intact, but the right was unattached. The plastic clips appear to be broken, not unseated. In my humble opinion, these squeaky plastic devices are not worthy of the XLR, but they are OEM nonetheless, and must be replaced.

Has anyone had issues with these on your XLR? Can anyone offer assistance as to sourcing these units... and then what is required to replace them? I taped the light plunger on driver side to keep the lights off until I can negotiate the repair/replacement. Thanks much, as always! :(

I believe the cover/light/visor is a one piece unit, the cover not being available separately. Not sure the cost, but if you would like, I could check what my wholesale price would be and let you know. To do this, I would need your VIN.

I believe the cover/light/visor is a one piece unit, the cover not being available separately. Not sure the cost, but if you would like, I could check what my wholesale price would be and let you know. To do this, I would need your VIN.

Yes, thanks. My preliminary search appears to prove you out... the entire visor must be replaced. Somehow not surprised... VIN sent in PM.

Try gmpartsdirect.com, but I don't think you can get just the cover. You will probably have to buy a whole new visor. Good luck !

Just noticed my driver vanity light cover has broken off (I rarely use the visor, much less the mirror). My wife uses her passenger side vanity with more regularity, and when I checked it the left clip was intact, but the right was unattached. The plastic clips appear to be broken, not unseated. In my humble opinion, these squeaky plastic devices are not worthy of the XLR, but they are OEM nonetheless, and must be replaced.

Has anyone had issues with these on your XLR? Can anyone offer assistance as to sourcing these units... and then what is required to replace them? I taped the light plunger on driver side to keep the lights off until I can negotiate the repair/replacement. Thanks much, as always! :(

Try gmpartsdirect.com, but I don't think you can get just the cover. You will probably have to buy a whole new visor. Good luck !

Reckon there's a chance in Netherland that a GMPP would cover their replacement? :confused:

Visors are easy to replace (a torx T-15 will do it) after you removed the plastic cover on the mount. There's one connector to remove. The driver's side costs more since it has the Home Link module, and runs close to $200. Source at any of the major GM parts outlets that have been discussed all over these threads.

CC :wave:

Visors are easy to replace (a torx T-15 will do it) after you removed the plastic cover on the mount. There's one connector to remove. The driver's side costs more since it has the Home Link module, and runs close to $200. Source at any of the major GM parts outlets that have been discussed all over these threads.

CC :wave:

Thanks for the replies & information. My dealer will replace both under the GMPP & I'm out my $50 deductible. Maybe they'll last another 8 years. ; )

Still kinda odd that they both failed practically simo.

SUNVISOR

YES I HAVE. CHEEP ASS MADE SUNVISOR. MINE KEPT FLOPPING DOWN. TRY TO FIND A NEW OR USED IN NETURAL COLOR. GM HAS NOTE WITH HOME LINK. I GOT ONE WITHOUT HOMELINK ON E-BAY. SAVED THE MIRROR. IF YOU WANT IT LET ME KNOW. FREE SHIPPING SHOULD NOT COST ME MUCH. CALL ME @ 662-253-8866 NAME IS DAVE. OH. THE VISOR WILL COME APART AT THE SEAM. SMALL SCREW DRIVER WILL DO THE TRICK. HOPE I CAN HELP

Driver's visor mirror

Thanks for posting this. I just noticed that the drivers visor mirror on my XLR has the same problem. It just occurred to me that the mirror cover may have gotten broken because I forget to lower the sunvisors when I put the top up and down.

Interesting development regarding my visors...

Had them replaced Tuesday at my local dealer under GMPP, as mentioned. HOWEVAH... I tried EVERYTHING that I could find relative to programming the embedded wireless device to operate my garage door opener TO NO AVAIL !! I started with the owner's manual and then progressed to whatever I could find online and no sequence worked. The previous visors were a relative snap to mesh in my first attempt.

Turns out that a change was made in 2007-up models to Lear Car 2 U devices from the HomeLink's that were used in 2004-06. My dealer sourced the visors and apparently received the later model visors. They're identical in appearance except for a small difference with the lights. HomeLink has a single light shaped like a house and the Lear unit has a small red-lit button under/over each button. The programming sequence is quite different and doesn't require a hand-held remote to pair the signal to the visor. I'm okay as long as it works. I have ordered sticker-covers for the air bag warning labels.

Just wanted to throw the device-change info out there in the event anyone has a similar issue.

SUN VISOR

Interesting development regarding my visors...

Had them replaced Tuesday at my local dealer under GMPP, as mentioned. HOWEVAH... I tried EVERYTHING that I could find relative to programming the embedded wireless device to operate my garage door opener TO NO AVAIL !! I started with the owner's manual and then progressed to whatever I could find online and no sequence worked. The previous visors were a relative snap to mesh in my first attempt.

Turns out that a change was made in 2007-up models to Lear Car 2 U devices from the HomeLink's that were used in 2004-06. My dealer sourced the visors and apparently received the later model visors. They're identical in appearance except for a small difference with the lights. HomeLink has a single light shaped like a house and the Lear unit has a small red-lit button under/over each button. The programming sequence is quite different and doesn't require a hand-held remote to pair the signal to the visor. I'm okay as long as it works. I have ordered sticker-covers for the air bag warning labels.

Just wanted to throw the device-change info out there in the event anyone has a similar issue.

THOUGHT THE 2007 AND UP HAD DIFFERENT FABRIC, MAYBE I WAS TOLD WRONG BY GM PARTS

THOUGHT THE 2007 AND UP HAD DIFFERENT FABRIC, MAYBE I WAS TOLD WRONG BY GM PARTS

That is a possibility. They had to keep the old visors due to the warranty (I asked for them), so they are not available to compare. If there is a difference other than the mentioned lights, it would appear to be quite subtle.

In looking at the 2008 owners manual, the programming is quite different from the '04-'06 remotes. I had to go through this on my Ford Fusion. I have an older garage door opener that uses dip switches.
epetu6uj.jpg

This procedure requires that you press the 1,2, or 3 button depending if the switch is in the up, down or middle position after you first initiate the programming sequence. I made sure all mine were either up or down. It took me about four times to finally program the thing. Here is a link to the 2008 owners manual. It explains the process on 2-47 and 48. Don't know if this is your problem, but i ran into this onto a similar system. https://www.xlr-net.com/specs/2008/2008_cadillac_xlr_owners.pdf
Tim

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Spoke with my dealer's parts guy this morning and he said the visors were ordered under my VIN, which I would think is SOP. He wasn't aware of any "design change", and appeared completely unaware of an electronics vendor change. Go figure. :(

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back
Top Bottom