Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

wiper problem

Tbirdusa

05 XLR, just bought it 2 weeks ago. When I use the intermitant setting, the wipers will stop half way through their swipe, then swipe for a second or two and stop, then then same thing.
If I use the "1 swipe" function by pushing down on the switch, the wipers stop as soon as I let off of it instead of returning to their resting position. Anyone had this issue?

2005 Cadillac XLR | XLR (VIN Y) Service Manual | Document ID: 1724271 <HR>
<FORM name=CellHandlerForm onsubmit="javascript: return true;" action=/si/cellHandler.do method=post>#PIC3761: Wipers Will Not Park - keywords inoperative mist park switch windshield wiper - (Nov 8, 2005)

999999995.gif
<TABLE border=0><TBODY><TR><TD vAlign=top width=100>Subject:</TD><TD vAlign=top>Wipers Will Not Park</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

<TABLE border=0><TBODY><TR><TD vAlign=top width=100>Models:</TD><TD vAlign=top>2004-2006 Cadillac XLR </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
<TABLE border=0><TBODY><TR><TD vAlign=top width=100></TD><TD vAlign=top>2005-2006 Chevrolet Corvette </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>​

<HR>The following diagnosis might be helpful if the vehicle exhibits the symptom(s) described in this PI.
<A href="http://gsi.xw.gm.com/si/showDoc.do?docSyskey=1724271&from=sm#ss1-1724271">Condition/Concern:

Some customers may state that the wipers will not park after using the wipers in any position. The customer may also notice that when using the mist button, the wipers will stop when the switch is released and mist function will not continue to wipe windshield and park.
Recommendation/Instructions:

Check the wiper on/off relay (relay #45) in the Underhood Buss Electrical Center (UBEC) and make sure that the relay is properly secured into the socket of the UBEC. If the relay is secured, try a good known relay from a good known vehicle and replace as needed.
Please follow this diagnostic or repair process thoroughly and complete each step. If the condition exhibited is resolved without completing every step, the remaining steps do not need to be performed.
<TABLE width="95%"><TBODY><TR><TD align=left width="80%">GM bulletins are intended for use by professional technicians, NOT a "do-it-yourselfer". They are written to inform these technicians of conditions that may occur on some vehicles, or to provide information that could assist in the proper service of a vehicle. Properly trained technicians have the equipment, tools, safety instructions, and know-how to do a job properly and safely. If a condition is described, DO NOT assume that the bulletin applies to your vehicle, or that your vehicle will have that condition. See your GM dealer for information on whether your vehicle may benefit from the information.

</TD><TD align=middle width=42> </TD><TD align=middle width=167>WE SUPPORT VOLUNTARY TECHNICIAN CERTIFICATION
</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>​
© 2009 General Motors Corporation. All rights reserved.
</FORM>

WOW !!!!

Where do I send my money? I'm on a few chat boards for my boats and my hot VW and I usually just get opinions. To actually get facts???? unheard of on the web.

THANK YOU !!

Glad you like our Cadillac Tech .... we all LOVE him .... if you want to show your gratitude come join us at our Rendezvous in San Antonio next month and meet him in person ... (take a well-deserved bow, Bruce...:worship:) We love new owners. :love:

WOW !!!!

Where do I send my money? I'm on a few chat boards for my boats and my hot VW and I usually just get opinions. To actually get facts???? unheard of on the web.

THANK YOU !!
Welcome to the XLR Net! :blinzel:

Tbirdusa,
Come join us in San Antonio & meet a great group of people. It's a once in a lifetime event! Kansas City, MO isn't that far away! You could even join our Midwest caravan if you like.

Kathy :)

Yes, we all do love our Cadillac Tech!!! By all means... come to San Antonio!!! You won't regret the trip... it will be a once in a lifetime event. Well, at least until next year's once in a lifetime event!!!

well, pulling it and putting back in didn't help so off to the Caddy dealer I'll go.
How in the world do you guys road trip in a car that my chihuahua won't even fit in ? Ya' all must roll to San Antonio with the tops up :lol:

Yep .... tops in .... throw the cr*p in the room .... tops down! :rocker:

P.S. You do have to get a little creative when you pack ...:willy_nilly:

Come join us and find out! :cool:

So, I got a new relay and things are getting weird. I put the new one in and now the "push down once" for a swipe works great. Wipers now swipe once and return to their correct off position. Here's what it's doing now.
With the old relay, the intermitant would stop in mid swipe and run at various speeds no matter which speed I selected. Now, they swipe once and return to the off position and don't come back on intermitantly like they should. So, here's my theory.
Previous owner had this problem before and put in a relay that was either the wrong part number or just a bad one. It was a Delphi 8865 15328865

The new one is a Borg Warner v08345 R3109

The guy at O'Reilly's used the old one to cross reference the new one. he didn't go by a Cadillac number. Thinking I've got one bad one and one wrong one now.

Or, the relay in position #45 doesn't control the intermitant settings. HELP !!:pat:

And that might expain why I'd never seen these cars in KC. I've at least now got the pulse. We're getting 1" per hour right now and the lightening is wicked. She's in the garage and I'm in the bottle.:beerchug:

I think you and Rutie might have something in common here. Diving into bottles.:pat:
And that might expain why I'd never seen these cars in KC. I've at least now got the pulse. We're getting 1" per hour right now and the lightening is wicked. She's in the garage and I'm in the bottle.:beerchug:

Relays are cheap-- compared with most everything else for this car. Try installing a genuine GM part instead.

CC :wave:

This is kind of a cool problem (from a technical standpoint, not an owner's) and would be fun to troubleshoot with a meter. The circuitry consists mostly of switches, relays and an outside moisture sensor on your dash. Relay 45 controls the ON/OFF function. Relay 41 controls the Hi/Low speed. Ensure relay #41 is secure in its socket. If it's the same as 45, swap them and see if the symptoms change. A good tech ought to be able to nail this in a short period of time by taking a few measurements. It's tough to xshoot electrical problems over the net without lots of going back and forth.
CC :dunno:

I didn't realize there was a moisture sensor. :pat:

So, when I've been jacking with this, it hasn't been raining, or I haven't had the car our in it. Today, I'm on my way to work, it's raining, and the dang thing is working properly. I'm used to cars that have intermitant that goes 3 seconds, 6 seconds and 10 seconds no matter what the conditions outside.
Apparently it is now working properly. Go figure. Case closed, relay 45, you've been found guilty as charged.

You are still able to adjust the frequency yourself if you take it out of rain-sensing mode, just like the old days.

Floyd (BB)

Floyd is correct. You should read your manual about the differt positions of the wiper control arm.

You are still able to adjust the frequency yourself if you take it out of rain-sensing mode, just like the old days.

Floyd (BB)

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back