Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

Help! XLR Top & Trunk Problem!

tonypro99

Seasoned Member
My XLR/V(s)
2008 Red XLR-V
Hey all;

I got a problem with my XLR the top & trunk seem to be acting up. I will describe it in detail here.

1) The trunk opens no problem when the cargo divider is in place but if the cargo divider is not in place for example if I got a few more groceries, the rear cover behind the seats goes up and trunk does not open.

2) I then have to use the key and open the trunk manually then place the cargo divider into place and press the convertible button to cycle back into a closed state.

3) Now I cannot even run the convertible top to fold into the truck as it puts the windows down but the trunk fails to lift up (meanwhile the trunk will open no problem when I press the button on the fob or by my knee) and the top acts up wanting to fold into the trunk but obviously can't.

4) I had the latest software update applied to my XLR just 10 days ago and it seemed to fix the issue but at last it didn't and as such I have the following problems. Now my XLR is a 2008 so if that can be any reference for you guys. I also did remove all the carpeting inside the vehicle as it was SOAKED and even MOLD was growing on them!

Your help people would be extremely appreciated! Thank-you!

I am by no means an expert, but would guess you have a sensor problem. Per the Service Manual: 'The folding top module controls the opening and closing of the deck lid based on an input from either the interior lid release switch, exterior lid release switch, or the lid close switch.

Diagnostic Aids:
If the front tonneau is not in its fully closed position, the rear deck lid will not release. A DIC message will not be displayed to notify the driver should this occur. Air turbulence with the top down or jarring of the vehicle while driving may cause the tonneau to lift, thus creating an inoperative rear deck lid. In this instance, the front tonneau must be resecured prior to attempting a deck lid release function.

The rear deck lid release will also be inoperative if the vehicle is placed in valet mode. This is by design and not a malfunction. Once taken out of valet mode the deck lid relase functions will operate normally.'

The operation of the top and trunk are all syncronized together; so my suggestion is to return it to the dealer and have them diagnose the problem. They have the knowledge, tools and equipment to get it fixed!!

Hey all;

I got a problem with my XLR the top & trunk seem to be acting up. I will describe it in detail here.

1) The trunk opens no problem when the cargo divider is in place but if the cargo divider is not in place for example if I got a few more groceries, the rear cover behind the seats goes up and trunk does not open.

2) I then have to use the key and open the trunk manually then place the cargo divider into place and press the convertible button to cycle back into a closed state.

3) Now I cannot even run the convertible top to fold into the truck as it puts the windows down but the trunk fails to lift up (meanwhile the trunk will open no problem when I press the button on the fob or by my knee) and the top acts up wanting to fold into the trunk but obviously can't.

4) I had the latest software update applied to my XLR just 10 days ago and it seemed to fix the issue but at last it didn't and as such I have the following problems. Now my XLR is a 2004 so if that can be any reference for you guys. I also did remove all the carpeting inside the vehicle as it was SOAKED and even MOLD was growing on them!

Your help people would be extremely appreciated! Thank-you!

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back
Top Bottom