Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

XLR-V for Dummies, help

Doug Doty

Seasoned Member
My XLR/V(s)
06 black/ black XLR-V
I have been reading on forums for several hours a day for a few days now, "Really" , and I have only found one reference to headlights turning with steering and that was on one of the re-publishings of GM's 2006 specifications. I obviously have an issue with my car cause I have one headlight, pass. side that sweeps outward and then re-centers on startup and the other is motionless, what gives, what is normal. Also I have a driver headlight bulb that is sometimes intermitent, is this typical of going out or are they either good or dead. If these cars do have steering headlights do all years ???

Believe the headlight movement at startup is normal mine does the same. As far as working intermittent, I would say you may have one nearing end of life. 2006 was the first year for 'steering headlights'

HTH

I have been reading on forums for several hours a day for a few days now, "Really" , and I have only found one reference to headlights turning with steering and that was on one of the re-publishings of GM's 2006 specifications. I obviously have an issue with my car cause I have one headlight, pass. side that sweeps outward and then re-centers on startup and the other is motionless, what gives, what is normal. Also I have a driver headlight bulb that is sometimes intermitent, is this typical of going out or are they either good or dead. If these cars do have steering headlights do all years ???

My 2006 does the same at startup. :cool:

I noticed that mine didn't always run through the "startup procedure" when cranking the car. My local XLR tech said that was normal and depending on how recently the vehicle had been shut down. It is simply a routine to determine if the process is operating in good order.

I think it's kinda cool :rocker:

I have definitly got my next car narrowed down to a Cadillac, i'm really thinkin XLR, but i'm gonna wait til after the Chicago Auto Show to go back to the dealer and pull the trigger. Does anyone want to give me a pros and cons run down between this or a different model?

I have definitly got my next car narrowed down to a Cadillac, i'm really thinkin XLR, but i'm gonna wait til after the Chicago Auto Show to go back to the dealer and pull the trigger. Does anyone want to give me a pros and cons run down between this or a different model?

I think most of us will tell you that there is nothing else like an XLR. Yea, a vette may be faster - but they are not nearly as unique and "rare to see" as an XLR. Yea, I think the CTS coupe is pretty nice - but no TOP DOWN fun with it and you are starting to see more and more of them around. I really don't think you will regret it if you pull the trigger on the XLR. About the negative side would be if you happen to get a car that has issues - then, with the car being so "unique" - you may have trouble getting those problems addressed. Get one with a warranty and then that is not an issue.

I have a BASE 2005 and I have not problems with the power I get (I keep up with the V's in our group with no problem). I've told Cadillac Tech (Bruce) many times - I could not imagine NOT owning an XLR - for the rest of my life... I love the car THAT much. I've had my car almost 3 years and I STILL just walk out into the garage sometimes - and can't believe I own such an amazing car. For me - its like owning one of those "exotic" cars (like a Lambo or something). Good luck with your decision. Hope this helps. :cool:

[/QUOTE] I have a BASE 2005 and I have not problems with the power I get (I keep up with the V's in our group with no problem). I've told Cadillac Tech (Bruce) many times - I could not imagine NOT owning an XLR - for the rest of my life... I love the car THAT much. I've had my car almost 3 years and I STILL just walk out into the garage sometimes - and can't believe I own such an amazing car. For me - its like owning one of those "exotic" cars (like a Lambo or something). Good luck with your decision. Hope this helps. :cool:[/QUOTE]

Dave, I have a V but I still agree with you, in fact I drove a loaner non supercharged car for a couple of days before buying my V an I think the non V car seemed more perfectly tuned and refined and was "MORE" than fast enough. My V is great too but it is just a little unnecessarilly punchy when you hit it on a passing situation. I can't imagine a situation in a Cadillac where anyone would really need the extra power the supercharger offers and Maint. issues are surley to be more and more expensive too. I would only say that the V hood might be something I missed if it wasn't there. !!!

I agree with both Dave and Doug... in that the base XLR has plenty punch for what I need and that you'll never regret the decision to pull the trigger on one, if not THE one, of the most unique head-turning automobiles on the road today!!!

[Quote[ I would only say that the V hood might be something I missed if it wasn't there. !!![/QUOTE]

My solution is to get a 2009! :worship:
Yes, you will pay more for an '09 but you will find a good selection of them just coming off of 3 year leases and the selection of low miles cars will be far better than older models. Most Cadillac dealers have a very extensive revamping of their 'Certified Cadillac' cars (Phrede: your dealer not with-standing) new tires, brakes, all fluids etc so it is almost like getting a new car but saving $20-$30 grand. (Check your dealer for services performed)

All 2009's have the V Hood, they are all Platinums (includes all of the neat options of the Platinums of previous years) they are the only year that are factory Blue-Tooth, the only year that so many pre 09 XLR owners really salavate over :drool:with the ground effects treatment to the front with the cool fog/driving lights, and they are the ONLY year with the wicked looking exhaust tips and rear valance, there are front fender 'vents' PLUS it is the last year of production AND there were only 892 of them built!

246950_10150190958104197_516479196_6609946_6915449_n.jpg

As for the exhaust ports: I did add a sweet sounding Corsa exhaust but I had the tail pipes customized to dump into the stock XLR tips.

Just my 'narrow' opinion on the issue!

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back