Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

Daily Chat

And the glass ;)

Since there was no Cabernet on the menu worth drinking, I actually had a beer last night... the best "Nut Brown" I've had in a while... brewed in Belt, Montana, a very small community 220 miles northwest of here. And, yes, I thought about licking the glass, but my tongue isn't quite long enough!!!:chuckle:chuckle

Wow, does that sound good you needed a roll with butter to clean that plate up right.
Speedway:wave::wave::wave:

The roll was a very good cheesy, herb bisquit... not very condusive to wiping up sauce. Believe my... I tried!!!! Ended up using my finger to get ALL I could off the plate... I think by the time the waitress came to get the plate, it looked as though I had licked it clean!!

Yea, my 600 hp Cobra would love to begin the day eating a has-been C5 for breakfast.

You are indeed delusional, probably the result of staying up late watching your favorite "newsman" Bill Maher.
Mark, after you told me what you did with this Shelby I already told you I couldnt beat it. But I can beat Cobra's and have on numerious occassions got beat twice but neither of those were stock either. I can only get a Harley for a block and then there gone. But its still fun for that block especially if they have a chick on the back and they just look at me like did that just really happen.:laugh::laugh::laugh:

Wasnt any cars or bikes out so I just enjoyed this fantastic weather were having and cruised for awhile. Back home now so i am going to get involved with "THE EDGE" fasten your seat belt.:lol:

Lets debate

Only problem with everyone coming up for this meal is the chefs are creating new entrees on a weekly basis. I'm thinking Cindy & I will be making a weekly trip to eat at "Bull Mountain Grille"...
And no, I've never heard of a mystery meal cruise... tell me more!!! Sounds like fun!!
A mystery Meal is when only the lead car is the only car that knows where your going. The person(s) leading provide everyone with a sealed envelope with the map and name to the restrauant your going to. The reason is in case you get separated they will still be able to find you. Its a lot of fun and you can plan this out where they think they know and start guessing in the walkies talkies but only find out there not even close. Most people Cruise for at least 45 minutes prior to actually going to the location. As I said we had one in carson City but we stayed 7 days went everywhere. Keeps them guessing. You find well in advance how many cars and number of people are going and then cut a deal with the Restrauant to have special reserve parking normally directly in front so everyone can see the cars and we always get 15% discount and free soft drinks. :D

Speedway:rocker:

A mystery Meal is when only the lead car is the only car that knows where your going. The person(s) leading provide everyone with a sealed envelope with the map and name to the restrauant your going to. The reason is in case you get separated they will still be able to find you. Its a lot of fun and you can plan this out where they think they know and start guessing in the walkies talkies but only find out there not even close. Most people Cruise for at least 45 minutes prior to actually going to the location. As I said we had one in carson City but we stayed 7 days went everywhere. Keeps them guessing. You find well in advance how many cars and number of people are going and then cut a deal with the Restrauant to have special reserve parking normally directly in front so everyone can see the cars and we always get 15% discount and free soft drinks. :D

Speedway:rocker:

This sounds like a BLAST... we should incorporate one into our next get together.

This sounds like a BLAST... we should incorporate one into our next get together.
The nice thing about it is you can rotate it and everyone has a different ways to make it more enjoyable.:D

The most we ever had was 42 corvettes that was great we had three differnet convoys so we wouldnt lose anyone.

We should try and put a group together on this end of the Country. We have the MM's group, West Coast group, Eastern group and the Southern group we could do the yearly run by rotating group sponsors of it. Just a thought it would take awhile but eventually you would collect people and we really dont care what they drive so it would happen sooner then one might think. Just think of how many people and cars would go altogether.:D

This part of the Country offers so much we could do quarterly gathering for those would would enjoy doing it.:rocker:

Speedway;)

The nice thing about it is you can rotate it and everyone has a different ways to make it more enjoyable.:D

The most we ever had was 42 corvettes that was great we had three differnet convoys so we wouldnt lose anyone.

We should try and put a group together on this end of the Country. We have the MM's group, West Coast group, Eastern group and the Southern group we could do the yearly run by rotating group sponsors of it. Just a thought it would take awhile but eventually you would collect people and we really dont care what they drive so it would happen sooner then one might think. Just think of how many people and cars would go altogether.:D

This part of the Country offers so much we could do quarterly gathering for those would would enjoy doing it.:rocker:

Speedway;)
Hey MT, what you think about this idea? I mean its a little crazy to think the members living on this side of the Country are going to drive 2000 to 3000 miles for an Event (as much they would like to go) the miles alone would devastate the value of the cars in 2-3 months. Lets get some motivation out here and enjoy some new friendships and good times. If we plan things in the middle of where we live it wouldnt be many miles for any of us. For example I know Jetboy mention Estes park once I looked it up on the internet and it appears to be something that would be fun. But there are many places we can go and its always nice to getaway from everything. :D

Lets get some talk going here and see if we can get some interest. Maybe if we could get two or three interested and we plaanned something others would want to participate. You wont know until you've tried.

Hey MT, what you think about this idea? I mean its a little crazy to think the members living on this side of the Country are going to drive 2000 to 3000 miles for an Event (as much they would like to go) the miles alone would devastate the value of the cars in 2-3 months. Lets get some motivation out here and enjoy some new friendships and good times. If we plan things in the middle of where we live it wouldnt be many miles for any of us. For example I know Jetboy mention Estes park once I looked it up on the internet and it appears to be something that would be fun. But there are many places we can go and its always nice to getaway from everything. :D

Lets get some talk going here and see if we can get some interest. Maybe if we could get two or three interested and we plaanned something others would want to participate. You wont know until you've tried.

Estes Park would be fun... although some may have went to Estes Park last May during the last rendevous. Not sure as we were unable to go... anybody that went: did you make a side trip to Estes Park? Or maybe somewhere in northern California?? Anywhere on the coast??? Yellowstone Park?? Jackson Hole, WY?? Just throwing out suggestions...

Estes Park would be fun... although some may have went to Estes Park last May during the last rendevous. Not sure as we were unable to go... anybody that went: did you make a side trip to Estes Park? Or maybe somewhere in northern California?? Anywhere on the coast??? Yellowstone Park?? Jackson Hole, WY?? Just throwing out suggestions...
Estes Park was an example living out here we have nice weather year around there are many places we could go. The nice thing about the MM's is that they have a lot of cars right in there immedate area so its not a problem for them. However, for us its a very big problem because for one thing my wife still works and I am sure others do to so when you throw in the travel time your on the road more than you are with the group and the Event and by the time you have the total mileage there and back as well as what you travel on the Event you may end up with as much as 6000-8,000 on your car. Plus its hard to get that many days off when you work. I just dont see where thats a feasible option. Doesnt mean those that want to do that cant continue but I think if we had a something around us it would be fun we would make and meet a lot of friends who would have a lot of enjoyment.

I would like to clarify one thing I am in no way trying to or speaking badly of the MM's in fact if it were possible I am sure everyone including me would like to attend all there Events. We all see the pictures they share which makes us feel that we are with them. If we get something going we can also share photo's with the XLR Net and I am sure they will feel the same way.:D

Estes Park was an example living out here we have nice weather year around there are many places we could go. The nice thing about the MM's is that they have a lot of cars right in there immedate area so its not a problem for them. However, for us its a very big problem because for one thing my wife still works and I am sure others do to so when you throw in the travel time your on the road more than you are with the group and the Event and by the time you have the total mileage there and back as well as what you travel on the Event you may end up with as much as 6000-8,000 on your car. Plus its hard to get that many days off when you work. I just dont see where thats a feasible option. Doesnt mean those that want to do that cant continue but I think if we had a something around us it would be fun we would make and meet a lot of friends who would have a lot of enjoyment.

I would like to clarify one thing I am in no way trying to or speaking badly of the MM's in fact if it were possible I am sure everyone including me would like to attend all there Events. We all see the pictures they share which makes us feel that we are with them. If we get something going we can also share photo's with the XLR Net and I am sure they will feel the same way.:D

I think we should keep trying to get this going. Everyone this will be a great group once we get it going. We wont be a club with all that non sense thats in that. We wont have iniations or requirements of any type will just be a fun group inclusive of EVERYONE. This will be extremely informal no chain of command structure just good times. Come on get involved and lets have a good time.:D

Speedway

Luck of the Irish

We are headed up to South Bend on Saturday to join Todd & Karen @ the Notre Dame football game.:rocker: We have wanted to see a home Notre Dame game for years...it should be great fun! Thanks T&K :wave:

Here's a good example that offers so much to do.

logo.jpg
promptimage.jpg
HomeMapChoose a DestinationFeature ArticlesGetaway MachineNews DownloadsContactAbout UsWhale-watching

20,000 gray whales migrate off Cal coast

By CARY ORDWAY
There is something magical about viewing sea creatures in their native habitat, and maybe
whale1.jpg
one of the best examples is the opportunity to watch gray whales off the California coast. Just as predictable as Pasadena's Rose Parade, a "parade" of some 20,000 gray whales is ready for viewing each winter in waters easily reached by tour boats.
Some may have the impression that these huge mammals only travel in deep waters far from the coastline, but the reality is it's even possible to see whale spouts from some points on land. In the San Diego area - where we spent an afternoon whale watching from a boat - the whales are just five or so miles off the coastline.
The big question for us was whether our trip would indeed yield any whale sightings. The website for San Diego Harbor Excursion has a guarantee that, if you don't see whales, you can come back for a free trip. But, to us, that still meant there was the possibility we wouldn't see whales and that would be disappointing since we were investing an entire weekend afternoon.
The second question was whether we would get seasick. The public relations people at the boat company made a point of warning us to take seasickness medication ahead of time if we thought we'd need it. We haven't been seasick since, decades ago, we made the mistake of staying down below deck on a cruise through Pearl Harbor. Since then, we'd weathered hurricanes on cruise ships and sailed boats through the San Juan Islands without any recurrence - but still, we had to wonder about that strong admonition. Was this going to be particularly rough?
The great thing about whale-watching out of San Diego is that you leave from the San Diego waterfront. If you take an afternoon whale-watching cruise, that leaves the morning to do things like visit the USS Midway Museum or tour a Russian submarine, or see the sailing ship from Master and Commander. It's also fun to grab a burger and beer at the Beach Bay Cafe - where, coincidentally, we boarded our whale-watching tour.
We showed up about a half-hour early for our 1:30 p.m. departure to ensure good seats on the railing of the outside decks. The 100-foot Marietta offers plenty of outdoor seating - enough, it seemed, to accommodate almost everyone on the cruise. In a pre-cruise briefing passengers were advised not to linger in the restroom - where some people apparently tend to go if they're feeling queasy - because that will only cause more motion sickness. Then the captain offered that the morning cruise had, in fact, spotted several whales. That was the good news. The bad news was that there were four to seven-foot swells - enough to make some people sick.
boat-deck.jpg
Heading out through San Diego Harbor, a naturalist from the Birch Aquarium took the microphone and began a three-hour narration that was packed full of information. We had expected many details on the whales but also included were sightseeing tips about the harbor area and San Diego in general.
For example, we learned that the U.S. Navy has 30 sea lions and 80 dolphins that have been trained to help guard Navy vessels and operating areas. We had never heard of John Wayne Jetty, which stretches out from the harbor into the sea, and which got its name because Wayne hit the barrier twice with his boat in two separate years when the barrier was obscured by high tide. And did you know that Cabrillo National Monument is the second most visited National Monument in the country? Only the Statue of Liberty sees more visitors.
The naturalist's expertise, of course, is sea life and we learned that San Diego Bay is home to the largest seahorses in the world - 12 inches long - and also to giant green sea turtles weighing 350 pounds. And we found out there are more than 4,000 pairs of the once-endangered brown pelicans in the San Diego area -- birds with a wingspan of up to 84 inches and a height of four feet.
Then, of course, it was on to a discussion about the gray whales that, between November and May, migrate 10,000 miles from their summer feeding grounds in frigid artic waters to the warm lagoons of Mexico. In November and December, they're on their way south; the return begins in early February with the whale-watching season in San Diego ending about the end of March. San Diego, in fact, was home to the very first whale-watching tours which commenced in 1955.
After leaving the harbor, our boat began some moderate rolling in the increasingly larger swells, but we were pleasantly surprised that the Marietta seemed to handle the water just fine. We looked for any reaction from our fellow passengers, but everyone seemed to be enjoying the sunny weather with little care about the swells. The tour company had done a good job of managing expectations; the "rough" water didn't really seem rough at all - just a little bit of movement that probably wasn't bothering anyone who stayed up in the fresh air and followed the captain's advice of gazing at the steady horizon or land.
At this point everyone on the boat went on alert - it was time to keep an eye out for whale spouts. Our naturalist explained that the whales come to the surface - emerging from the waves, then diving under the waves, then re-emerging a few times - and then disappearing for three to five minutes before coming up again. Sometimes they stay down for as long as 20 minutes.
naturalist.JPG

We wondered who was going to yell "Thar she blows!" upon the first sighting.And then it came. Not exactly like Moby Dick, but rather a calm announcement from our naturalist that the captain had spotted a whale spout at "12 o'clock" - meaning straight ahead of the boat. Passengers moved forward to get a look and, sure enough, there it was in the distance: a spout that, on land, might be confused with the Old Faithful geyser.
Soon, nearby boats were joining us as we moved closer to get a view of the giant mammal breaching the water, then slicing its way through the waves with its barnacle-covered back clearly visible to the elated passengers. Once the whale had been underwater several minutes, our boat moved on and quickly spotted more spouts on both sides of the boat. There were spouts at "10 o'clock" then "2 o'clock" and on it went to the point that the naturalist admitted there were more whales visible on this day than most. There was never more than a few minutes before another spout was spotted. Some were quite distant, but all were visible from the boat. In between whale appearances, schools of dolphins were flying from wave to wave on both sides of our boat. Occasionally a sea lion or seal would wander by.
The gray whales are up to 45 feet long and weigh 30 tons so you might think it would be easy to get good pictures. The reality is that you really need a high-powered telephoto lens and a little bit of luck to catch one with a good part of its body above the water. Most times we could see the back and barnacles, but we only saw the classic tail fins on one or two occasions. It also should be noted that responsible whale-watching companies observe strict rules about not getting too close to the whales or in any way agitating them.
But overall, for us, this turned out to be a very successful day: not only did we enjoy numerous whale sightings, but we left our lunch in our tummies right where it belonged.

AT A GLANCE

waterfront.JPG
WHERE: San Diego Harbor's one of several locations along the California Coast that offer whale-watching trips.
WHAT: Whale-watching is a great combination of an enjoyable cruise on the ocean and some truly spectacular natural scenery.
WHEN: Whale-watching season in San Diego runs from approximately December through the end of March. This time of year can be chilly on the water, even in San Diego, so be sure to dress warm - you'll probably be spending most of the cruise out on the deck.
WHY: Whale watching is fun for the entire family and educational, too.
HOW: For more information on San Diego whale-watching, please visit sdhe.com or phone 619-234-4111.
Photos by Cary Ordway, Sandi Ordway
Captions, from top: Gray whales are visible just a few miles off San Diego coastline (whale photos courtesy Jeff Talsky, Birch Aquarium); open decks allow for plenty of outdoor seating; naturalist (in hat) shows passengers barnacles and other sea life; San Diego waterfront is always fun and festive
OTHER DESTINATIONS: If you're looking for other California vacation ideas, be sure to check out other California Weekend articles on Los Angeles, Balboa Bay Club, Huntington Beach and Getty Museum.
Getaway Media Corp publishes websites focused on getaway travel, including californiaweekend.com and northwesttraveladvisor.com. If you enjoyed reading about whale-watching, be sure to visit our sites and read the hundreds of feature articles on the many getaway travel destinations in our coverage areas. Like whale-watching, these other activities and attractions are worth including in a your upcoming vacation or getaway. If you think about it, we're fortunate to live in a place where we can enjoy activities such as the whale-watching without traveling thousands of miles. This is why Getaway Media Corp sites are so popular with the traveling public -- they showcase vacation or getaway.

cwlogo.jpg

Click here for more great California vacation ideas!​

When not whale-watching, find some other great things to do on San Diego, CA vacations

Click here for great deals on Oregon travel as well as travel in Washington, Idaho, Montana and British Columbia​

php-power-micro.png
©Copyright 2003-2008. CaliforniaWeekend.com. All rights reserved.
Web site design by Think Research, Carl Klem (Webmaster); graphic design by Jill St. Michael.
poweredbymysql-88.jpg

Received an email from the Sportsman Lodge in Studio City today with some special deals. That is where we stayed two years ago so we could go to Bob's Big Boy to see the car show. Sure was a lot of fun but does not seem like it has been almost two years.

New years in vegas

We have been thinking of doing Las Vegas Dec 30, thru Jan 2. We have always wanted to do a New Years in Vegas. Anyone else interested if we have enough we can try and get a deal.:D

Fred & Ingrid

We have been thinking of doing Las Vegas Dec 30, thru Jan 2. We have always wanted to do a New Years in Vegas. Anyone else interested if we have enough we can try and get a deal.:D

Fred & Ingrid

NO!!!!!

Going to be in the mid 70's here until Sunday, then drop to the mid 50's... Saturday may be the last day for top down weather here for quite a while. (hope not though)...

Not trying to doubt your ability, but that is typically one of the most expensive weeks to be in Vegas. I normally get comp'd when I go based on the play I give them and can't get comp'd during that week--you must be a high roller if you can get a discount during that week!

Fred & Ingrid

Received an email from the Sportsman Lodge in Studio City today with some special deals. That is where we stayed two years ago so we could go to Bob's Big Boy to see the car show. Sure was a lot of fun but does not seem like it has been almost two years.

Hey; how do you rate? They never send me nothing and we tried to drink them dry when we were there !!! :lol:

Not trying to doubt your ability, but that is typically one of the most expensive weeks to be in Vegas. I normally get comp'd when I go based on the play I give them and can't get comp'd during that week--you must be a high roller if you can get a discount during that week!
We got a deal for three nights comped beginning Dec 30 and $200 free play at new York, New York. We really do not care for that Casino. We had a deal for the month of October for three nights comped and $ 50 free play and free buffet for Monte Carlo. We do like it there but they do not have there deals for New years out yet. If you look up there regular rate for this period for 4 days it is $640 total. Were waiting on Bellagio, Caesar's Palace or Encore to send us there deal. We go to vegas often because its close to us. They will have deals so if someone is interested and we get it you will have to react right away because as Cubby has pointed out its hard to get in at this time of the year. I will let you know when we find something that we would enjoy. We both think it would be a lot of fun to be there to bring the New year in.:D

Speedway

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back