Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

Winter Storage vs Winter Driver

boilermaker

Seasoned Member
My XLR/V(s)
2009 Black/Tan XLR: 2008 STS V8 AWD: 2008 SRX Premium AWD
Was just wondering how many of us store their XLR's indoors for the winter months as opposed to those who drive theirs year around.

Of course this mainly applies to those who live in winter climates.

And if stored are they in warm storage or cold storage?

Never have taken my XLR's out in the winter months living south of Chicago....too much salt, cinders and/or sand on the roads. Mine is tucked away in a heated facility with battery tender and car cover in place; right next to my two Harleys...also covered and battery tenders attached.

Granted the bodies on these won't rust, but I like the look of the gleaming cast alumiun underbody parts, not dull salt pitted parts, and the frames are steel. If I could get at the underbody on a regular basis, it would be as clean as the top side of my car!!:)

If I had it my way, I wouldn't drive any of our cars during the winter months. Winter is so hard on cars. We put our baby up on her jack stands, put her covers on, connect the battery tender and wait for spring.:)

I have mine in an unheated garage, under cover with battery tender going. There is no way I would EVER drive this car in Montana winters... right now the ruts in the side streets are 8" deep - I'd NEVER get out!!!

Day late, Dollar short

As has been the case almost all year, except when it comes to my XLR, I'm a day late and a dollar short again. Got FireFox tucked away in a heated garage before the snow tonight, but my car cover isn't due to arrive till next Thursday. I'm not a big fan of all out storage for the entire winter. There are some breaks in the weather here good enough to drive for a few days. I also promised some friends that I'd bring it to the Chicago Auto show if there's no snow on the ground that weekend in February.

Had to send the Eldorado back to the shop to get the rear suspension redone, it keeps shimmying from side to side like the wheel alignment is wandering - a symptom of one bad shock being overcompensated by the other. New shocks and bushings being installed.

So I'm relegated to the Mustang which is my hoopty (in town, daily driver) which has been on loan to my daughter and sister most of the year. Finally winterized it today (in the rain). It, too, will be parked tomorrow and Monday while its snowing here. Luckily, the house is well stocked and I've got plenty to do here to keep me busy for the next two days.

I put my car in insurance suspension for three months so I am parked until March.

I put my car in insurance suspension for three months so I am parked until March.

I forgot to do that Friday. My insurance has a "storage" policy that only costs $15 a month and they cover the car even when transported from shop to shop (Mod Hell!) Works out great for me since at least one of my cars is always in this mode, saving me enough to buy a few more bottles of wine. :chuckle:

I keep mine ready to go at anytime, although she does sit in the garage most of the time... Here in Denver we have nice days more often than not.

winter storage vs winter driver?

Here's what made me post this topic.

On Thursday I just finished putting my XLR in cold storage all bundled up with a battery tender, but still accessible if there is a warm spell during the winter months.

Then on Friday while visiting the local Home Depot, a neighbor pulls into the parking lot with his black and white XLR. The hood, roof and trunk were black. The sides of the vehicle were white...

The two sides were completely covered with a white road salt spray as well as the chrome wheels. The wheels were caked with road salt.
I told him that i couldn't believe he drove his car in the snow. His response was "I don't buy a car just to drive in the summer" He had a black 2004 XLR previously to owning this black 2009 and he said I treat them all the same way. I buy em to dr

I must say I admire his attitude...but for me I will store mine during the winter months and drive my SUV in the winter !!

See ya'll in Bowling Green !!

And he is one of the reasons the values of the XLR'S are what they are----they just don't care!!!!! My first house....several year ago was less than the price of an XLR!! Do you not value where you live:dunno: BTW, I treat my Harleys the same way I treat my XLR and even my wife's car
TLC!!!

Here's what made me post this topic.

On Thursday I just finished putting my XLR in cold storage all bundled up with a battery tender, but still accessible if there is a warm spell during the winter months.

Then on Friday while visiting the local Home Depot, a neighbor pulls into the parking lot with his black and white XLR. The hood, roof and trunk were black. The sides of the vehicle were white...

The two sides were completely covered with a white road salt spray as well as the chrome wheels. The wheels were caked with road salt.
I told him that i couldn't believe he drove his car in the snow. His response was "I don't buy a car just to drive in the summer" He had a black 2004 XLR previously to owning this black 2009 and he said I treat them all the same way. I buy em to dr

I must say I admire his attitude...but for me I will store mine during the winter months and drive my SUV in the winter !!

See ya'll in Bowling Green !!

What are you going to do?

This provides me with the opportunity to pose a question that I have wondered about for some time.

I certainly can appreciate that some folks drive their cars daily or put a lot of miles on their XLRs. As enjoyable as the experience is, I can see why some drive them at every chance!

But the question is this: What are you going to do when you have run the mileage way up and the car starts to experience the inevitable maintenance issues that come with high mileage and age?

Parts availability is probably not the best for these cars and will probably only get worse as time wears on. I know that quite a few 2009 models were purchased by folks that were trading in their earlier models. Next time, there will be no newer model to trade for!

I purchased my XLR to last me for the next 20 years. I'm the kind of guy that keeps things. I have several vehicles that I have owned for over 30 years. I expect to have my XLR as long as I am able to drive!

This provides me with the opportunity to pose a question that I have wondered about for some time.

I certainly can appreciate that some folks drive their cars daily or put a lot of miles on their XLRs. As enjoyable as the experience is, I can see why some drive them at every chance!

But the question is this: What are you going to do when you have run the mileage way up and the car starts to experience the inevitable maintenance issues that come with high mileage and age?

Parts availability is probably not the best for these cars and will probably only get worse as time wears on. I know that quite a few 2009 models were purchased by folks that were trading in their earlier models. Next time, there will be no newer model to trade for!

I purchased my XLR to last me for the next 20 years. I'm the kind of guy that keeps things. I have several vehicles that I have owned for over 30 years. I expect to have my XLR as long as I am able to drive!
Well.... I don't expect that I will be here 30 years from now .... ;)
And a few years ago we sold a 64 Mustang that we were still able to drive and get parts for ... We have a couple of members who have well over 100K miles on their XLR's ... So, I guess it's just a matter of choice.... I love my car, and I drive her every chance I get ...

I'm one of those that love to drive my XLR (155K so far)... I'm just hoping that after mine gets to the point of needing replacement, that I can find one of those XLR owners that only drove theirs to church on Sundays. :cool:
These cars will last a long, long time - with the proper maintenance. While I do put a lot of miles on my car, I still baby it and keep it well maintained. Afterall, how many THOUSANDS did they make? Yea, they may be hard to find ... but it'll be worth the search efforts. :)

And a few years ago we sold a 64 Mustang that we were still able to drive and get parts for ... We have a couple of members who have well over 100K miles on their XLR's ... So, I guess it's just a matter of choice.... I love my car, and I drive her every chance I get ...

Well, there's a lot of difference in the technology for a 64 Mustang and an XLR! It's the high-tech pieces that will probably be hard to get. I have a 66 GTO and a 76 El Camino, and as you have stated, mechanical parts are not a problem for them.

I plan to be around in 20 years and still driving. My Dad was still a pretty good driver up to about the time he was 75. I want to be the 75 year-old guy that boggles the onlookers when he drives up in an XLR!

I guess those owners that keep the mileage low will be the "sources" of low mileage cars for those that need a replacement for their high-mileage cars in a few years! :)

I guess I'm gonna be one of those high mileage guys, too. But I figure, like Chicago Dave, as long as I keep it well cared for and maintained properly, even with high mileage, when I find my 2007 Xenon Blue V, I'll make money on the trade. (If 5AM doesn't take it away from me first.)

Although I love the updates, I don't think I'll ever consider the 09 cause those body parts are going to be even more rare. How long will I keep it. Don't Know. :dunno: I tend to be finicky with cars: Some I keep for years, others - as soon as the thrill is gone, its gone.

What I do know is I intend to keep an XLR in my stable cause I'm having too much fun cruising and hanging out with this group. 5AM would never forgive me, she's more a part of the group than I am.:pat:

Well, there's a lot of difference in the technology for a 64 Mustang and an XLR! It's the high-tech pieces that will probably be hard to get. I have a 66 GTO and a 76 El Camino, and as you have stated, mechanical parts are not a problem for them.

I plan to be around in 20 years and still driving. My Dad was still a pretty good driver up to about the time he was 75. I want to be the 75 year-old guy that boggles the onlookers when he drives up in an XLR!

I guess those owners that keep the mileage low will be the "sources" of low mileage cars for those that need a replacement for their high-mileage cars in a few years! :)

There are several XLR owners over seventy on this forum. It is a lot of fun to see reactions when you get out of the car with a cane and display your handicap hang card. I plan to keep right on driving "Little Bugger" and "Big Bertha" right up to the end. I have to renew my drivers license next month but I don't think that will be a problem.

Forecast for today is over 60 so I think I will get "Little Bugger" out as I have a doctor appointment in the northeast part of town. That will help keep the battery charged. The sunshine is full blast so I may even put the top down.

What I do know is I intend to keep an XLR in my stable cause I'm having too much fun cruising and hanging out with this group. 5AM would never forgive me, she's more a part of the group than I am.:pat:

Giz,

Keep in mind ... you don't need to have an XLR to hang out with the MM's ... heck, you don't even need a car :chuckle ... the group can always use a designated driver. :laugh:

We love hanging out with you and 5am also. :rocker: You two fit right in.

Tiffany stays in the garage all winter except for the nice winter days when the road salt is gone.. I fire her up at least once a week and back her out of the garage to keep her joints mobile and rotate the tires so they don't set all winter on the same spot and flaten out on me..

Tiffany stays in the garage all winter except for the nice winter days when the road salt is gone.. I fire her up at least once a week and back her out of the garage to keep her joints mobile and rotate the tires so they don't set all winter on the same spot and flaten out on me..

My story is the same as Marc's. I drive the XLR unless there is a good reason (like weather) not to drive it. HIGH MILES = MUCH HAPPINESS.
Some people buy cars to HAVE, this group buys them to DRIVE!
:rocker: Sometimes it's not about the money. :wave:

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back