Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

Daily Chat

A little tip I found is that if you get on all the time you will never notice the gas difference!! :laugh::laugh::laugh:

Of course it never hurts to have a company business gas card! :chuckle Then who cares!! :lol:

I would like to mention that I seriously do love :love: my Corsa Exhaust! Soft & Mellowuntil you want to crack down on it! :rocket::rocket::rocket:

Heavy Foot Dan!! LOL
I do have company gas cards but I own the company so I still have o pay for it. Good thought though on staying on it all the time so that I won't notice the difference. I like your way of thinking.

very nice. great work Bruce

I do have company gas cards but I own the company so I still have o pay for it. Good thought though on staying on it all the time so that I won't notice the difference. I like your way of thinking.

I know same way here, but with 16 vehicles, Vans, Pickups, & Box Trucks and filling up all the time my lillte fill ups are not even noticed!! :lol:

Dan

Thanks Bruce. I love Tiffany's new rear end. Sounds awesome. Took the back roads home so I could open it up. As always, you do awesome work. Don't know what this group would do without you.

It's always a pleasure to work on such a great car. :cool:

I just spoke with Jack & Lynda Parker from GA, they said to tell you all hello & that they really hated missing The PA Trip in June . They both are fine but have had a very busy 2012.:wave:

While on the subject of the XLR and Corvettes.

Somrthing has been bothering me for quite awhile!

I've heard it said and also read that the XLR was built on the Corvette C6's chassis but the C6 first production year was 2005 and the XLR's was 2004.

If this is so, then the Corvette C6 was built on the Cadillac XLR's chassis! RIGHT?

I think that the XLR chassis is slightly different from the Corvette one, in terms of fractions of inches - if I'm remembering what I heard at Bowling Green right.

BUT a lot of things that were new on the XLR got transferred over to the Vettes. If I remember correctly, putting the transmission in the rear was one, plus a lot of interior upgrades. All this info came from the guys who were in charge of the plant during most or all of the XLR production period.

Which, by the way, a number of the Corvette people at the show told me it was a shame they quit making the XLR - & they seemed to be genuine in saying that.

Somrthing has been bothering me for quite awhile!

I've heard it said and also read that the XLR was built on the Corvette C6's chassis but the C6 first production year was 2005 and the XLR's was 2004.

If this is so, then the Corvette C6 was built on the Cadillac XLR's chassis! RIGHT?

The C6 chassis was already deveoloped for the Corvette. From what I heard - the XLR was originally looking at the C5 chassis, but there were some issues - so they went with the C6 chassis instead. Yes, the XLR used the chassis first (for production), but it was designed for the Corvette. The XLR has about 3" extended onto the Corvette C6 chassis.

If I remember correctly, putting the transmission in the rear was one.

The transmission was moved to the rear of the Corvette for the C5 chassis.

You are correct with the interior upgrades - the XLR opened the door for a better interior for the Corvette. :wave:

Both cars benefitted greatly from the joint venture. There wouldn't even be an XLR without the C5 Corvette ('97-'04). The XLR did get many of the C6 parts before the C6 was launched in '05. The transmission being moved to the rear & attached to the differential, was first done on the C5 Corvette. The interior improvements on the C6 Corvette were done because of things learned during the designing of the XLR. They share many items, but they both have their own personality. Thankfully we have both.:wave:

Having no clubs in the area, I also have invites to the local vette club. Speaking of the production of the car, I recently went to the GM dealership to get the oil changed. It was interesting to see a customer come up to the car, peer inside and walk to the showroom...after a bit, she emerged, followed by a salesperson, pointed at the car...The salesperson shook his head, and it seems that she became a bit irate (glad she didn't approach me lol)

Bottom line that, if Cadillac still made the car...perhaps at a bit of a lower cost, they would still be selling.

When, at the corral in the Sonoma raceway, had a chance to talk to a few Cadillac techs. They were saying things about the motor (titanium rods, balanced & blueprinted, single mechanic, hand built, etc.) that cost a mint. Then also stated that Cadillac lost money on the car...

Part of me yearns for the CTSV motor or even the LS9 - mated to a manual transmission. What a monster that would be!...then I could almost keep up with all of those ZR1's!

The interior improvements on the C6 Corvette were done because of things learned during the designing of the XLR.

I had my XLR at a local car show last year, one put on by a church as a fundraiser. A couple came over and had a look at the car. They asked what the window sticker price on the XLR was. I told them that it was about $75,000. The woman then asked me "why would anyone pay that much when you could get a Corvette for quite a bit less"?

I opened the driver side door and invited her to have a seat. She got in, took a good look around and then placed her hands on the steering wheel as if driving. She got out with a grin on her face and said "I understand now"!

"Laps for life" 2012

Some of you may remember that last year on 9/11, the American Red Cross held its annual "Laps for life" event at Charlotte Motor speedway. In return for donating blood, you received 2 tickets for Bojangles "Pole Night", which is the qualifying event for the Bank of America 500, 2 tickets for the Dollar General 300, an event t-shirt, and best of all, you were allowed to drive your car around the speedway for a couple of laps!

This year, "Laps for life" was held Friday, September 7, 2012. Once again, I made an appointment on-line to give blood. This time, the event was held at the Media Center, located in the infield of the speedway. In return for your donation, you again received 2 tickets to "pole night', 2 tickets to the Dollar General 300, an event t-shirt, and something else!

This year, you received a "ride-along" in a NASCAR compliant racecar for 3 laps around the 1.5 mile long track. The cars are equipped with a passenger seat, complete with all safety gear. They get you set up with a helmet and a HANS device. You crawl in through the window, wriggle into the racing seat and they strap you in a 5-way harness. Once you are secured, the driver accelerates down the pit road and onto the track and into turn #1 and #2. Down the backstretch still accelerating and into turn#3 at full speed!

Quite a thrill to be only a foot or so away from the wall and come out of turn #4 and into the front stretch at full throttle! The total ride is for 3 laps.

Other than the sensation of horsepower and noise, the most noticeable feeling was the strong G-force through the high banked turns. It was like twice per lap, someone just shoves you as hard as they can against the right side of your seat! You don't move much due to the design of the seat and the safety harness having you strapped in, but you sure feel it!

It was a lot of fun, a great chance to donate blood, and some great perks!

Once again, looking forward to "Pole Night" and the Dollar General 300. The DG300 is a night race, which to me, is even more fun "under the lights"!

A short trip to historic Brattonsville, SC

Alexis and I took a little drive south to historic Brattonsville, SC on Sunday afternoon.

Culture & Heritage Museums

I took several pictures, but I thought this one looked particularly colorful!

DSC00966.jpg

Wishing you all a fabulous weekend at Bob Fest! :party

I will just mope about here in Ontario :( wishing I was there with you. It turns out that something special is happening for me this weekend and I would have to had cancel coming there anyway: I will tell you all about it after the fact!

Drive safe and have fun! :burnout:

I hope this works! As I said I would tell you all about my weekend after the fact! I am very proud to have received the Queen's Diamond Jubilee Award this weekend.
I am pasting a link to my facebook album I just posted: read the captions, it tells the story!

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10151137276294197.463266.516479196&type=1&l=4ad5d6e1e6

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back
Top Bottom