Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

10th Anniversary dates & who's interested

Dates for Anniversary Event

• Total voters
This is great finally some feedback! I also agree that we should just settle this now a choose the weekend 26th -29th start Thursday eve (for those that want to) as arrival and Sunday morning as a depart time!
We plan on leaving PA Wednesday driving part way then come down the rest of the way on Thursday as our trip is about 10 and half hours non stop.
I am booking my room this morning also!
Does anyone have a inside connection with NCM to set up set may be a show of car on Friday afternoon / evening???
They gave me a contact of Jana Sublett as the Event contact!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Thanks Dan

Mike & I have been "in" since this first came up long ago. I'm just hemming & hawing on when we could leave because that is an awful time of year for me at my work (which is why originally I preferred the Oct date). Anyway, once we figure that out it would be great to CARAVAN there with anyone we can pick up along the way across Va - & we have several walkie talkies we can use too. :burnout:

I know someone typically gets shirts made up for such events that everyone can buy, but since this is an anniversary, why not caps too? That's something we could check into as we know a pretty good hat embroidery company, if there is interest & folks here can agree on a design. We also know a company that can embroider shirts, but I know some others here have better experience with that than us for these events.

Thanks to everyone who started pushing to get this going! :worship:

You are absolutely correct in everything you stated, Phrede. The National Corvette Museum, is exactly that; A CORVETTE MUSEUM. There are no XLR's on display there and never have been. The largest event for XLR's was in Bowling Green at RIII, with just shy of 100 XLR'S in attendance and GM helped a few members here put this together. I don't think you will ever get anything like it again, as there will be no GM help because the car is no longer produced. I'm sure you can talk to the Museum and get a designated area for parking and we can meet up there, tour the museum, take pics of our group etc, but I don't believe it will be a 'big event'.

For those wanting to attend, I think our best bet is the BGACC Car Show at the end of Sept. for our 'get together.' JMHO

IMHO.....

I think we should take advantage of the Bowling Green Assembly Corvette Club Show and use their connections and expertise. Do we really need more than a place to gather? This could be a chance to exhibit to some of the employees and local residents that may not otherwise get much exposure to XLRs. It would certainly lighten the load of coordinating everything and is at the factory. I really enjoy sharing with non-XLR people too.

I don't have a lot of interest in separate trophies or classes for our cars, but will "go with the flow" on that.

As much as some think that the NCM owes us something because our cars were made there, they really do not. It is the National Corvette Museum, not the Bowling Green production museum. Anything they do for non-'vettes is a token. That is not to say that we couldn't gather there for some pics.

The earlier the date the more likely it will be drier and warmer for some topless driving. Always a good thing.

It may be an advantage or disadvantage for those traveling a long distance. I don't know and will let those making the trip comment on that. I can certainly offer at least a list of things to do and see in the general area for those wanting to fill some time between the two events. A few things come to mind depending on what the interests are; Pork Chops and Key Lime Pie at Patti's at Land Between the Lakes, Makers Mark Distillery tour (no there are not samples :) ), Kentucky Horse Park, Churchill Downs or Keenland Race Tracks, Mammoth Cave, Tail of the Dragon, Nashville, Beale St. in Memphis, etc.etc. Just let me know what floats your boat. My point is that there is a lot to do within a couple/few hours from Bowling Green.

I first voted for OCT 4-6, but now think this one makes more sense, unless it creates a problem with those traveling, enough to limit participation.

You are absolutely correct in everything you stated, Phrede. The National Corvette Museum, is exactly that; A CORVETTE MUSEUM. There are no XLR's on display there and never have been. The largest event for XLR's was in Bowling Green at RIII, with just shy of 100 XLR'S in attendance and GM helped a few members here put this together. I don't think you will ever get anything like it again, as there will be no GM help because the car is no longer produced. I'm sure you can talk to the Museum and get a designated area for parking and we can meet up there, tour the museum, take pics of our group etc, but I don't believe it will be a 'big event'.

For those wanting to attend, I think our best bet is the BGACC Car Show at the end of Sept. for our 'get together.' JMHO

As We all know we can never meet everyone's life style & plans so I guess we must put a date in motion and run with it! Sorry that some of the group would of like the 1st week of October but as mentioned most of hard planning is already done for the weekend of the Sept. 28th and this will get our XLR's more attention then an Event at the NCM! Now PRAY FOR GOOD WEATHER! Now we need to plan what else we are interested in planning on scheduling the rest of the time! There has been a few other restaurant and place to visit mentioned for group gatherings. Also always remember you DO NOT need to go where the group members go! If you have something you want see or do on your own, just do it! Probably Sunday we will head down to Nashville after morning breakfast departure as its only about an hour south! " Have not ever been there yet" We checked room rates they are super high down there so may want to consider coming back up to Bowling Green!

I agree with you Cubby - we all need to realize/remember that the XLR is a discontinued model, we will never get the same attention/turnout that Corvette club get (Corvettes have quite a CULT following - and are alive and well). For us XLR owners, we basically are a group of owners that enjoy getting together and hanging out with each other... we won't have any "input to future enhancements", etc... we can just enjoy our cars, one another and showing others what GM used to make. Much like any other classic car collector (ie: Delorean, Vega, Allante, etc...). JMHO. :cool:

Allante-XLR Chapter of the Cadillac LaSalle Club

Just wanted to let you know the Allante-XLR Chapter of the Cadillac LaSalle Club in the Chicago area is a great organization. You can find them at this site: WWW.ALLANTE-XLR-CLC.ORG
Contact person is Bob Klopfer 3115 Deerfield Road, Riverwoods, IL 60015-3768 Phone 847-940-777 or 847-975-9002.

Bob is a good friend of mine, he is full of information and a tremendous help when it comes to the Allante and XLR's.

Just wanted to let you know the Allante-XLR Chapter of the Cadillac LaSalle Club in the Chicago area is a great organization. You can find them at this site: WWW.ALLANTE-XLR-CLC.ORG
Contact person is Bob Klopfer 3115 Deerfield Road, Riverwoods, IL 60015-3768 Phone 847-940-777 or 847-975-9002.

Bob is a good friend of mine, he is full of information and a tremendous help when it comes to the Allante and XLR's.

Funny you just posted this! Last week I got an invite to take Roxy to to PA shows by members of PA CLC Club one at Kelly Cadillac of Lancaster / May and the other July at the AACA Museum in Hershey!

Thursday & Sunday would be travel days for most people that will be attending. Thursday night could be a welcome dinner @ some place like Montana Grill or Raferty's. You could do a farewell breakfast on Sundy morning @ The University Plaza Holiday Inn (we did that @ RIII). The show on Saturday the 28th will be from 9:00 - 3:00. There could be a group dinner later that day @ WahBah's.
There could be a drive up to Maker's Mark Distillery on Friday sometime. Visit the NCM during the day on Friday.

The GM room rate for the weekend of Sept. 26-29 is $92 a night @ The Courtyard by Marriott.

:dunno: AS OF THIS MORNING THE BG MARRIOTT HAS NOT HEARD OF THE $92.00 GM ROOM RATE YET! :dunno:
I tried to book our for Sept. 26-30 and they said plenty of rooms available at regular rate, but she did not see anything on the books for a GM Block @ $92.00 a night!
So who ever has a contact with the Dave for car show set up that mentioned this rate, could you please check this out so we can start booking our rooms? :wave:

Folks,
As I have been credited with having special knowledge, interest, connections or affiliations in the area we are visiting. This person, based on my experience, is normally a very graciously step up and take on tasks when, and as, asked.

We all must realize that just because someone has an idea(s) there is a limited time to plan and organize.

IF you do not wish to take such a monumental task on; why not simply offer to assist where needed.

Please understand that trips are normally planned for a fixed, and many times short, duration. IF you would like to add extra days / events to your itinerary; enjoy yourself and do so. If you find something that might be of interest to other site members simply post the information and a link. You will be surprised the response you will get.

IF, at the end of the day, you have no real intention to realistically participate in making this event happen - QUIT COMPLAINING

It is my opinion that are the ones keep coming up with unrealistic expectations of this event or the NCM

Being retired certainly does free one :wave:

Sandy,
If nothing prevents, Dawn and I will be driving down on Thursday. Depending on the 'tail winds' and the absence of occasional visits with the highway patrols we would be there sometime late afternoon / evening.

Do you want me to come up with a general place the attendees could meet for a 'welcome dinner'? Bruce already posted a couple of ideas. I am willing to run with it.

I will keep in touch. ;)

Dave,

I think I'm getting the message. .. Yet, I was wondering what day/time do you have the after hours reception at the NCM scheduled? And do you really expect the guys to all wear a coat and tie? I am honestly so glad you are retired because without something like this to keep you busy...I fear you would spend all your time just sitting on the side of a road pointing a baseball speed gun at on-coming cars.

Hope to see you at the welcome dinner. Take charge my friend;... your treat?

Steve

Folks,
As I have been credited with resurrecting interest in this trip I have also been on the receiving end of a number of members venting on what has developed as a result. Please understand the following:

1) In order for any excursion to be successful someone must step forward who is willing to do the leg work. This would include having special knowledge, interest, connections or affiliations in the area we are visiting. This person(s) also needs to be willing to chair the planning 'committee' for any trip. This committee, based on my experience, is normally a very limited number of site members who graciously step up and take on tasks when, and as, asked.

2) We all must realize that just because someone has an idea(s) there is a limited time to plan and organize same - ESPECIALLY THIS LATE IN THE GAME.

3) IF you want to be in charge of a trip, especially this one - simply let Bruce know and I am sure he will step out of your way and let you run with it.

4) IF you do not wish to take such a monumental task on; why not simply offer to assist where needed.

5) Please understand that trips are normally planned for a fixed, and many times short, duration. IF you would like to add extra days / events to your itinerary; enjoy yourself and do so. If you find something that might be of interest to other site members simply post the information and a link. You will be surprised the response you will get.

6) IF special rates at hotels can be obtained at such short notice please investigate and share your good fortune with site members. Sometimes this is because we are a national car club, AAA, Veterans or AARP members.

7) IF, at the end of the day, you have no real intention on attending OR you are not willing to actively, constructively and realistically participate in making this event happen - QUIT COMPLAINING

I know this post might offend some of you. That was not my intention. It is my opinion that those offended are the ones who keep coming up with unrealistic expectations of this event or the NCM - that will NEVER happen especially when this trip is being 'finalized' so late in the game.

For those site members not falling into that category - Please accept my sincere apology I did not mean to offend you but simply wanted to stop some of the Bulls*&t.

Being retired certainly does free one to speak their mind. Have a nice day :wave:

I didn't know that anyone was "in charge" or that anyone was getting credits for creating an interest. It seems to me that if anyone has concerns they should put on their big boy/girl pants and post here. No one is obligated to do any part of the trip or leave home at all. If you don't like what is playing change the channel. I hope the lurking whiners will cease and desist so the rest of us can focus on some productive discussion.

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back
Top Bottom