Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

15th year BG plant homecoming reunion Sept 26 - 28 2018

Chad,

You might also want to check with the National Corvette Museum, to see about possibly getting us on the track for some parade laps. Dave Crissley should be able to get you in touch with the right people at the plant and also at the museum.

OK, everyone!! Rogene and I are going to go to Bowling Green to do some eats places scouting and go to the Assembly plant Vette club show, to see if they'll let us XLR's in it next year. Also want to stop at the plant and see if they'll do a special tour for us. I got an E-mail in to the Media officer to see if they can do anything for us, but I haven't heard back. (Anybody have any connections at the plant?). I thought (or would like too) do the plant tour on Friday and go to the car show Saturday.

As far as eat's places go, one night will be at the Montana Grill, it's right behind the hotel (hotels by the convention center), easy to get to. At one of our meets, years ago, we had a "pizza night", it was a blast. We stay at the hotel, maybe they'd let us use a meeting room, and we just have pizzas delivered, everybody just pitch in for the pizzas, and BYOB. That's two nights, now I'm stuck can't think of any other places to eat at.

Someone has said let's go to a distillery. The one I found was Maker's Mark, up close to Elizabethtown, It would be about a 1 1/2 hour drive from BG. They also do a tour / drinks / dinner on Fridays and Saturdays only, but it's $75 a head. I guess we could just only do the tour. Also, online, I found that in Bardstown they have a scenic railroad dinner train. But again, it's 1 1/2 hours away and is about $60-$70 a head, and only Friday or Saturday night again. One thing for sure! I am planning on a trip to Mammoth Cave Park, (hope you all got your park pass like I said earlier).

So for right now, what I'm thinking, Thursday to the cave, Friday (hopefully) tour the plant (can we see a mid engine Caddy?), and Saturday (if they'll let us) the plant club car show.

I'm open to more ideas!! Need something to do earlier in the week (?). How long of a stay do we want in BG?

Be kind to me!!! This is the first time I've ever done anything like this! I'm not a tour guide that's for sure! And I'm 600 miles away!

Chad

Another idea for something to do....

You might also want to check and see if we can get into the Performance Build Center; which builds the engines. This was moved from Michigan to Bowling Green to offer Corvette buyers/owners the ability to help build their motor for their car. This is also the facility that built every XLR-V motor during production.

Count me & Mike in. And I have total confidence in you Chad! Everyone here will help AND appreciate you for taking this on! :blinzel:

I've forgotten about the track and the build center!!! Thanks Cubby!! I'll check into it when I'm out there.

Here's some eats places that we're going to check out when we're there.

MARIAH'S

Home | Micki's / 440 Main

I got to check on parking. The 440 is downtown. Also might have to reserve these as a banquets. Must pay ahead and all on one check. Everybody willing to pitch in?

Chad

MARIAH'S

I got to check on parking. The 440 is downtown. Also might have to reserve these as a banquets. Must pay ahead and all on one check. Everybody willing to pitch in?

Chad

Chad - see if they'll work with you on the banquet/pay ahead deal. There were at least a couple of eateries on the VB/OBX trip that indicated that on their web sites but were willing to work with us when they realized it was just plain old unprofessional me & Mike at work. Guess they felt sorry for us and I did some pleading too!

Chip in

MARIAH'S

Chad

I'm certainly willing to help out. What do you need? $10? $20? ??
I suspect this may be the first test of the those truly interested in making this happen, and those who are just tire-kickers.
Also, any place we go, you might check to see if we could not only reserve a room, but enough parking for our 'babies'.
Certainly appreciate your doing this.
Doug

Which hotel?

Well.... Rogene and I are in BG right now!! We're at the Courtyard Marriott. When we had the other get together's. We all (mostly) stayed at the Hilton "Garden Inn. At the Hilton, for 2018, we may be competing with a football team for the hotel. I like this hotel! Of coarse, I can't set up anything for a year out just yet, but I'm getting business cards and finding people to contact. Both for eats places and hotels. What does everyone thing about which hotel?

Tomorrow we're going to the BG assembly club Vette show. Hopefully I can find Dave C., and if I'm lucky, Will.

Chad

15 year BG plant homecoming in 2018? Maybe??

Well.... Rogene and I are in BG right now!! We're at the Courtyard Marriott. When we had the other get together's. We all (mostly) stayed at the Hilton "Garden Inn. At the Hilton, for 2018, we may be competing with a football team for the hotel. I like this hotel! Of coarse, I can't set up anything for a year out just yet, but I'm getting business cards and finding people to contact. Both for eats places and hotels. What does everyone thing about which hotel?

Tomorrow we're going to the BG assembly club Vette show. Hopefully I can find Dave C., and if I'm lucky, Will.

Chad
Don’t get me wrong but let’s stay away from the hotel with the football people. 2 reasons 1 I don’t think we want to be in a hotel with rowdy football players especially after a game. 2nd for the safety and security of our rides. We could wake up to several cars that have been broken into.
This is just my personal preference.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You obviously have never been to Bowling Green. The multiple times we've been there, we've never had a problem. If a football team is in town, it's for a game and they travel by charter bus. When we have had events, the hotels have provided special parking areas for us. We will be staying at the Courtyard for the points and perks we get, but it doesn't matter which hotel, they are close to one another.

Don’t get me wrong but let’s stay away from the hotel with the football people. 2 reasons 1 I don’t think we want to be in a hotel with rowdy football players especially after a game. 2nd for the safety and security of our rides. We could wake up to several cars that have been broken into.
This is just my personal preference.

I have a HH Card and really like Hilton and get free nights but I also have Marriott, only thing in BG the Hilton is right next to Hilton so we aren't going to that far away either way, but at least we wouldn't be in the same building if we stay at the Marriott!

You obviously have never been to Bowling Green. The multiple times we've been there, we've never had a problem. If a football team is in town, it's for a game and they travel by charter bus. When we have had events, the hotels have provided special parking areas for us. We will be staying at the Courtyard for the points and perks we get, but it doesn't matter which hotel, they are close to one another.

Ok I stand corrected. Thank you yes I have been to bowling green but that was in the late 70’s-mid 80’s. Thanks again for replying

Chad,
The Courtyard sounds like a nice property. I know several of us working stiffs frequent Marriott hotels and it is our preferred hotel. One suggestion, see if you can negotiate a continental breakfast as part of the package. Thanks for all your efforts.

The football teams stay at the Hilton. We're now at the Courtyard, and yes we have the breakfast package. I'm really leaning toward this Courtyard.

Went to the BG club show, talked to Dave C. We can get ours cars into the show, it's open to all cars. If we get at least 10 cars, we can have our own class.

LOTS & Lots of construction at the plant. Being expanded, a lot of new buildings being added on. We might be a bust at a plant tour. Dave said and I've read, that the plant will not have tours for 18 months!! This is a bummer!! Because this is one day of my plans knocked out. What to do!? Does anyone with powers-to-be, help get a plant tour lined up?

More to report on later.

Chad

Hum I would say as will Cooksey. He might be able to pull some strings. I would ask him but he would probably say when is the date?

Hum I would say as will Cooksey. He might be able to pull some strings. I would ask him but he would probably say when is the date?

Dave C., said that even Will can't get into the plant!

Ate lunch at Mariah's. Website listed in earlier posts somewhere. We're definitely eating there as a group! Parking in the baseball field parking garage.

The football teams stay at the Hilton. We're now at the Courtyard, and yes we have the breakfast package. I'm really leaning toward this Courtyard.

Went to the BG club show, talked to Dave C. We can get ours cars into the show, it's open to all cars. If we get at least 10 cars, we can have our own class.

LOTS & Lots of construction at the plant. Being expanded, a lot of new buildings being added on. We might be a bust at a plant tour. Dave said and I've read, that the plant will not have tours for 18 months!! This is a bummer!! Because this is one day of my plans knocked out. What to do!? Does anyone with powers-to-be, help get a plant tour lined up?

More to report on later.

Chad

Just got this message from will

Guy, The rules for plant tours has changed for everyone. Since I retired the NCM is now handling all tours. All the XLR stuff has been removed. I hope the car comes back one day. I still have my 2004. Thanks, Wil

More to report on later.

Chad

Maybe tour the NCM as a replacement? (we can see the sinkhole cars this time around). Or some track time at the new NCM track? To actually go high speed the cars would need to do a lot of prep (and I wouldn't be interested in replacing tires, brakes etc when done) but maybe we could do a few "fun" laps.

15 year BG plant homecoming in 2018? Maybe??

YES YES YES! Chad don't forget to check if we can do a parade of some track time on the new racetrack the NCM built!

Last edited:
What would everyone think of a "road trip" on the road trip to BG? Today Rogene and I went to the Maker's Mark distillery. It's a 4+ hour and 215 mile round trip drive. Neat place! And with a café, we could eat lunch there. And, yes we had a sample drink! $12pp for the tour. What da' think?

Tomorrow, we'll go to the NCM and see what they can / will do, and also to the Mammouth cave. The cave is about 35 miles up I-65.

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back
Top Bottom