Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

Bluetooth into the XLR

Had the car in the shop today and the tech measured the steering wheel control resistance for me. The service manuals for 04-07 all incorrectly report a resistance value of 12.7Kohm when the tech verified mine to be 1.27Kohm --- the same as in the schematics for the 08 and 09 steering wheel controls.

I am under the impression that the only thing that would prevent the new onstar module from functioning properly would be in some of the other features (aka new signals for a crash from the BCM or something of that sort).

I see no obvious reason why the bluetooth features of the new module would not work if put into older versions of our car. All of the human interface aspects of the new module are capable with components currently installed on our cars. The manuals would not cover operation and some of the symbols on the buttons are different or they are in a slightly different place - but they are there.

It is not my intention to purchase a new module and antenna to give this a shot. Yet.

But if I were going to do so I would need the following parts avaliable from www.buy-oem-parts.com:
25990100 - VCIM - $263.64
15938939 - Bluetooth Antenna - $27.80

Ben

Ok, I'm game - I got $300 in my pocket burning a hole... and its either this or install a aftermarket kit which would just be ugly.

So - once I do this swap do I need to get the car reprogrammed or anything?

Do I need to call onstar and get my account modified for the new VCIM?

It is not my intention to purchase a new module and antenna to give this a shot. Yet.

But if I were going to do so I would need the following parts avaliable from www.buy-oem-parts.com:
25990100 - VCIM - $263.64
15938939 - Bluetooth Antenna - $27.80

Ben

Nevermind, I just read page 11-39 which referrs to page 11-37...

11-37 says that basically you need to reprogram the car's onstar system with a Tech2 and then that process will automatically trigger a call to onstar at which time you tell them all the new info about the VCIM swap.

I wonder if I can find a dealership thats as cooperative as yours! :) hmm...

Ok, I'm game - I got $300 in my pocket burning a hole... and its either this or install a aftermarket kit which would just be ugly.

So - once I do this swap do I need to get the car reprogrammed or anything?

Do I need to call onstar and get my account modified for the new VCIM?

In reading the section on bluetooth operation from the 09 owner's manual. It states, "[Talking Mouth Button] (Voice Recognition): Press and release to initiate voice recognition for the Navigation System. See Voice Recognition on page 4-74 for more
information.
Press and hold [Talking Mouth Button] for longer than two seconds to interact with the OnStar® or Bluetooth® systems. See OnStar® System on page 2-42 or Bluetooth® on page 3-77 for more information about these features."

In my car, pressing the voice recognition button momentarily, and pressing and holding it for two seconds provide indistinguishable results. But I don't have the bluetooth enabled VCIM, so who knows if it will produce a hick-up. The signals pass through the CD Changer not the BCM, and the CD Changer then passes the signal to the Class II lan and on to the VCIM. Looking at the CD Changers, they are the same from 2004-2008. I don't know about 2009, I have no data.

Something needs to be programmed. With any luck it will all work out. Let me know how it goes.

Ben

I just ordered the VCIM and antenna... I'll let you guys know how it goes.

I believe the key is getting the bluetooth option assigned to the VIN for the car then having the tech program the unit for the car. My tech did not know how to get the feature assigned to the VIN.

Some Dodge guys, when adding steering wheel controls, had to have it added to their vin numbers as an option that the vehicle came from the factory with. Their forums said that they simply called the dealer and had them add the code to the vin. I have no idea what they actually have to do.

Another problem I can see is that the RPO code for the bluetooth was not an option for the 04-08. Don't know if it is doable or how to accomplish it, but I believe that is the last important step for the car to recognize the new equipment.

Any update from your end?

I believe the key is getting the bluetooth option assigned to the VIN for the car then having the tech program the unit for the car. My tech did not know how to get the feature assigned to the VIN.

Some Dodge guys, when adding steering wheel controls, had to have it added to their vin numbers as an option that the vehicle came from the factory with. Their forums said that they simply called the dealer and had them add the code to the vin. I have no idea what they actually have to do.

Another problem I can see is that the RPO code for the bluetooth was not an option for the 04-08. Don't know if it is doable or how to accomplish it, but I believe that is the last important step for the car to recognize the new equipment.

Any update from your end?

When going to the dealer, I do not doubt this is the experience you will have... I had a similar issue with my GMC Yukon Denali where I had upgraded to GM 20" wheels and since they didn't come with the truck and didn't have a RPO code for them they didn't know what to do with my truck - so I feel your pain.

With that said, you can just order any part you want and stick in in your car and it has nothing to do with your VIN in terms of functioning. Just plug in a Tech2 and program it and its fine. Now whether you can find a dealer who will do this is a different story - many will, many won't (as I found)... ultimately, I just ended up buying my own Tech2 since I just wanted more control over the GM cars I own.

As for an update - I placed the order for the parts the day I posted my message about it, but they are backordered and I'm still waiting for them.

GM canceled my order...

"GM canceled part number 25990100 from the order. We are not able to supply this item. GM only offers this replacement module in case of fire, theft, or flood with supporting documents. Please contact your local GM dealership for this item."

Anybody have any idea how to get this part?

GM canceled my order...

"GM canceled part number 25990100 from the order. We are not able to supply this item. GM only offers this replacement module in case of fire, theft, or flood with supporting documents. Please contact your local GM dealership for this item."

Anybody have any idea how to get this part?

Checked with my GM dealer here, the part number has changed... he gave me a price of $351.52 then told me the fine print. There may be a way around it... I will PM you.

Waiting for the VCIM model (from another source)... meanwhile I did get the bluetooth antenna. :)

Ok Gentlemen... here's where I am...

I got the new VCIM and bluetooth antenna. As predicted, it was a a little less tall than the original, and although it fit in the bracket, it was a little lose... also as discussed, a little foam would solve that problem.

IMG_4000.jpg

IMG_4001.jpg

IMG_4002.jpg

IMG_4007.jpg

IMG_4010.jpg

IMG_4012.jpg

The VCIM appears to function properly - it functions exactly as the old one did.

When holding down the "Push To Talk" button on the wheel - nothing happened. After some re-reading and research - I guessed that maybe the radio was different between the 09 and the older cars... I mainly came to this assumption since the manual for the 09 says that the car will announce "Bluetooth Ready" - and I'm guessing that the older radios probably didn't have this in its vocab.

So - I ordered an 09 radio/changer set... it was actually a pull from an 09 - oddly it has the same part number as my 06 radio... so I'm guessing that it just has a different firmware load on it from the factory (or the changer attached to it is different and thats where the differences is - I haven't checked). Anyhow, when installed (and I cleared the theft-lock with my Tech2) it appeared to work fine... except...

The steering wheel controls were totally reassigned... all the buttons worked, but they had different functions... and, of course, the PTT button became Vol+ and none of the other buttons seemed to activate PTT. So my choices are I can either buy a new 09 steering wheel assembly (and new airbag) or I can change the resistor values on the older switches. I think that I'd rather do the latter...

So, dug out the service manuals for my 06 and these are the resistor values:

IMG_4031.jpg

IMG_4032.jpg

I'm quite handy with a soldering iron, and can probably even do the mod even if the resistors are surface mount... so the next question is:

Does anyone have access to the 09 service manuals? And if so, could they snap some pics of the new resistor values? It would actually be great, if I could get a high-res pic of the entire page to make sure that everything is also wired the same back to the BCM and Radio.

Hopefully we can get this figured out soon...

Had the car in the shop today and the tech measured the steering wheel control resistance for me. The service manuals for 04-07 all incorrectly report a resistance value of 12.7Kohm when the tech verified mine to be 1.27Kohm --- the same as in the schematics for the 08 and 09 steering wheel controls.

Richard,

I had all the schematics printed off at work. Since then I have moved and finally think that I shredded the copies that I had after verifying that the audio controls were the same signal paths between the steering wheel and the cd changer for all model years and the 09. As noted above, each of the tech drawings for the steering wheel wiring from 2004 to 2007 say that the one constant resistance, regardless of which switch is depressed, is recorded at 12.7KOhms but is actually 1.27KOhm - the same as in the 08 and 09 diagrams.

I don't know why your functions have swapped but the resistances corresponding to the buttons in the steering wheels did not change from your 06 to the 09.

I will see if I can dig up a photo copy or a scan of those diagrams and post it here.

Ben

Richard,

I had all the schematics printed off at work. Since then I have moved and finally think that I shredded the copies that I had after verifying that the audio controls were the same signal paths between the steering wheel and the cd changer for all model years and the 09. As noted above, each of the tech drawings for the steering wheel wiring from 2004 to 2007 say that the one constant resistance, regardless of which switch is depressed, is recorded at 12.7KOhms but is actually 1.27KOhm - the same as in the 08 and 09 diagrams.

I don't know why your functions have swapped but the resistances corresponding to the buttons in the steering wheels did not change from your 06 to the 09.

I will see if I can dig up a photo copy or a scan of those diagrams and post it here.

Ben

Ben - Believe me... after experiencing all the buttons being swapped around - I immediately went back and read what you wrote in this thread very carefully.

And I'm glad to say that I thought you said exactly that - that, your research showed that there should be no difference in resistance values between the old and newer steering wheel... but swapping out the radio's back returned my radio controls again.

:dunno:

Maybe they are wired differently? Maybe the service manual is wrong? I have no idea - but something is clearly different.

Worst case, I can just buy the buttons and harness and reverse engineer the resistance values... that'll probably cost about $150 but better than having to spend over a grand on a new wheel and airbag...

My thoughts are that it is a programming issue. When you program certain replacement parts of the car (ie. VCIM or BCM or CD Changer) they have to be programed with your car's vin number and its associated build codes. Don't ask me how to do this - it is just my gut feeling based on experiences with my truck (dodge) and how things must be done there. I have not been able to speak with someone knowledgeable about how this is done. The tech I worked with to get the wiring diagrams of all the XLR's said that he could just put in a new VIN number when programming the newly installed parts. I think the tech2 software syncs with the current database to see what codes are installed for the vin and then enables those features with your control modules.

I don't think that the cd changers or stereos were changed at all physically between models. I do feel that they could be looking for different signals to perform different functions. But I don't think that's a hardware issue.

My recommendation would be to first try to get your current vin updated with cadillac to include the bluetooth option. Then to have a currently synced tech2 reprogram your cdchanger and vcim with your new vin information.

My second recommendation would be to track down a vin number of a car with bluetooth and program the vcim and cd changer to those vins. I think this is what you currently have installed in your xlr - so you might run into some button functionality issues (just a hunch :blinzel:) - though I cannot begin to explain why.

I guess I would call cadillac and see how to get codes added to your vin in their database.

Sorry I can't be of more help. I was unable to track down those drawings.

Ben

XLR28 - I tried the CoSTAR BlueSTAR Bluetooth kit you had discussed at the beginning. I can confirm it works for the 04-05 XLR, mines an 05. Needed the GM Class II kit not the GMLAN-29bit, the OnStar communications were on the slower side of the VCIM. It literally was plug&play, and works fine. You lose OnStar capability in favor of your phone's Bluetooth, but I didn't have the service anyway.

I don't doubt what you're saying is true... but since I have a radio that was pulled from an 09 I don't need any programming done... but on that note - do you know what the RPO code is for the bluetooth on the 09? How do we find that?

Anyhow - When I plug in the 09 radio, the buttons are swapped around... when I plug in the 06, its all back to normal - so clearly, the two radios have different programming.

So getting my 06 reprogrammed as an 09, would just result in the same scrambled buttons - and right now, I'm trying to fix that. And it looks like I'll need an 08/09 steering wheel to make that work - or the diagrams for the resistor values to modify my existing wheel.

Does anyone have a set of 09 books? Those diagrams would be helpful. I've already sunk a lot of money in this retrofit process (all in fun, of course :D )

My thoughts are that it is a programming issue. When you program certain replacement parts of the car (ie. VCIM or BCM or CD Changer) they have to be programed with your car's vin number and its associated build codes. Don't ask me how to do this - it is just my gut feeling based on experiences with my truck (dodge) and how things must be done there. I have not been able to speak with someone knowledgeable about how this is done. The tech I worked with to get the wiring diagrams of all the XLR's said that he could just put in a new VIN number when programming the newly installed parts. I think the tech2 software syncs with the current database to see what codes are installed for the vin and then enables those features with your control modules.

I don't think that the cd changers or stereos were changed at all physically between models. I do feel that they could be looking for different signals to perform different functions. But I don't think that's a hardware issue.

My recommendation would be to first try to get your current vin updated with cadillac to include the bluetooth option. Then to have a currently synced tech2 reprogram your cdchanger and vcim with your new vin information.

My second recommendation would be to track down a vin number of a car with bluetooth and program the vcim and cd changer to those vins. I think this is what you currently have installed in your xlr - so you might run into some button functionality issues (just a hunch :blinzel:) - though I cannot begin to explain why.

I guess I would call cadillac and see how to get codes added to your vin in their database.

Sorry I can't be of more help. I was unable to track down those drawings.

Ben

Richard,

I'm trying to go by memory from RII in Bowling Green when we saw the debut of the '09; and I believe the steering wheels are different, so that may be where your problem lies. I think there are more buttons on the '08-09 wheel compared to '04-07 wheels. I could be wrong though.

Richard,

I'm trying to go by memory from RII in Bowling Green when we saw the debut of the '09; and I believe the steering wheels are different, so that may be where your problem lies. I think there are more buttons on the '08-09 wheel compared to '04-07 wheels. I could be wrong though.

Yes - if you read this thread you can see where we're talking about the new steering wheel and how I'm trying to avoid having to buy one by reconfiguring the resistors.

Here's a picture of an '09's interior from Cadillac:

http://www.cadillac.com/cadillacjsp/model/gallery.jsp?primary=2&model=xlr&year=2009&nid=1&sid=0&id=1

It looks like it has six buttons on it! Ours have four. One button on the 09's steering wheel is for the heated steering wheel, I wouldn't think that would make an difference on the bluetooth. But what's the 5th button??

GOSH!!! I hope you guys get this figured out!!! It would be so cool!!!

06-07 XLR-V - PTT, Source, Track+, Mute, Vol+, Vol-, Preset+, Preset-
08-09 XLR-V - Mute, Seek+, Seek-, Source, Heat, Vol+, Vol-, Preset+, Preset-, PTT

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back
Top Bottom