Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

Help! Brakes

hawkeye372

Seasoned Member
My XLR/V(s)
2006 infrared xlr
This has been happening during the non rainy times. The last couple days when I take topless baby for a drive, after a short while her brakes start making a high pitch squeal. I would understand if its been raining but this is happening when the roads are not wet. It's somewhat annoying especially when coming up to a shop light.

My dealer told me "they all do that," which irritated me until I read enough that it seems somewhat true. I will say on the Pa trip, I did not notice anyone else's XLR squealing when braking, & there were 11 others there. At this point, I tried replacing the rotors & brake pads - took care of most of it so it's no longer embarrassing, but still a slight squeak. Then I had the calipers replaced as part of getting them powder coated, & was hoping that would end all squeaks. Nope.

It's tolerable now, but I don't remember the last time I had any other car with ANY squeals.

That's just my experience with mine.

This has been happening during the non rainy times. The last couple days when I take topless baby for a drive, after a short while her brakes start making a high pitch squeal. I would understand if its been raining but this is happening when the roads are not wet. It's somewhat annoying especially when coming up to a shop light.

Mine has ALWAYS had a slight squeak when stopping at a stop sign or light. Pads & rotors have virtually no wear. I've just learned to live with it...

I had a bad squealing problem for a while - finally replaced my pads this summer while Cadillac Tech replaced my shocks (OK, Bruce replaced the pads). No squealing problems now. :) thanks Bruce.

Brake Noise

I am now on my second set of pads and have never had any noise with either set. Dry or wet, no squeaks. Guess I am lucky on that problem but have had a few other head scratchers over the past 8 years.

I sometimes get a "whistling" noise on the freeway ...wondering if GM has a warning device for worn pads...anyway, I am nearing 40k, time for new factory pads I guess.

Majority of the time the problem with brakes squeaking is either their worn,dusty, or a lot of times not compatable with each other. Depending on what kind of rotors you have determines the pad composition. Metallic,semi,ceramic,etc. ceramic works the best for performance and no dust. But their a harder material which will wear the rotors faster. Never had luck with metallic pads on previous cars.

Changed to "Red Stuff," screeched for the first couple hundred miles, then went away after they were seated. Another plus, they are virtually dustless!! Very happy with them.

Changed to "Red Stuff," screeched for the first couple hundred miles, then went away after they were seated. Another plus, they are virtually dustless!! Very happy with them.
"RED STUFF"? I'm thinking might try some "brake spray" at a auto store. If i remember that helped a little when i had my honda crv. Is the "red stuff" stocked at the dealerships? From what i saw on the web pages from google. They are made for high performance cars.

I sometimes get a "whistling" noise on the freeway ...wondering if GM has a warning device for worn pads...anyway, I am nearing 40k, time for new factory pads I guess.
I bought the car in early oct and only had 20,758 miles. I'm getting used to the noise but still a little embarrassed every time i come to a stop and I have a mustang or other high performance car next to me. :dunno:

"RED STUFF"? I'm thinking might try some "brake spray" at a auto store. If i remember that helped a little when i had my honda crv. Is the "red stuff" stocked at the dealerships? From what i saw on the web pages from google. They are made for high performance cars.

They're brake shoes and I bought them on-line. If you need brakes try them. Stop fast, virtually no dust, and after a short time no squeak!!

I have noticed that after I cleaned my rims with the chrome wheel cleaner, that my brakes have stopped squeaking. I used the cleaner last week before the car show. I've been driving her almost everyday now since. I haven't heard any squeaking sound so far

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have noticed that after I cleaned my rims with the chrome wheel cleaner, that my brakes have stopped squeaking. I used the cleaner last week before the car show. I've been driving her almost everyday now since. I haven't heard any squeaking sound so far

What ever you used may have removed some of the glazed film off the rotors.

Dan & Wendy
"05 GRAND DADDY"

What ever you used may have removed some of the glazed film off the rotors.

Dan & Wendy
"05 GRAND DADDY"

Yep no more squeaky brakes :thumbsup atleast for the time being. except i've had the top up the last couple days because of the cold. But being that it will be in the um........ mid 70's this week :spin: . i might just have to go cruising topless this week. But i'm debating whether or not to register for this car show in march.I just went to the local auto parts store and purchased a wheel brush cleaner. So that way i can clean all the way to the far back of the rim. Down here in florida the car cruise ins/shows really are year round. So keeping my baby cleaned is a regular weekly chore. You never know when the next car show is going to pop up. 2 weeks ago when i was at the ancient city cruisers car show, someone plopped this flier in my window.
car show flier.jpg

Yeah there is still some going on up here there was one show up for November 13th mostly shows for Toys for Tots, for Christmas Toys for the needy kids!

Dan & Wendy
"05 GRAND DADDY"

I replaced the stock set up on my V with Power Stop's Z26 Street Warrior kit. I was very careful to observe their break-in procedure to the letter. No panic stops or "spirited" driving until the pads were well bonded to the rotors. Have put about 500 miles on them and not one squeak. I'm very impressed with the package. It's a great compromise between price and performance. I also managed.to find all four OEM calipers on Amazon for about $275 so I had them replaced as well. Also upgraded to DOT 4 fluid and full braded steel lines. The entire upgrade was under $1000 parts and labor.

Power Stop 1-Click Street Warrior Z26 Brake Kits | Power Stop

I replaced the stock set up on my V with Power Stop's Z26 Street Warrior kit. I was very careful to observe their break-in procedure to the letter. No panic stops or "spirited" driving until the pads were well bonded to the rotors. Have put about 500 miles on them and not one squeak. I'm very impressed with the package. It's a great compromise between price and performance. I also managed.to find all four OEM calipers on Amazon for about $275 so I had them replaced as well. Also upgraded to DOT 4 fluid and full braded steel lines. The entire upgrade was under $1000 parts and labor.

Power Stop 1-Click Street Warrior Z26 Brake Kits | Power Stop

Thanks I'll have to look into these when i'm ready for new brakes?

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back
Top Bottom