Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

Do you use your XLR as a daily driver/commuter car?

XLRATING

Seasoned Member
My XLR/V(s)
2006 Infrared XLR (Beauty); 2008 GT500 (Beast); 2007 Black XLR-V (Victor)
Just curious on this - I know a lot of people who live where it snows have to put their XLR up for the winter. I also know a fair number of owners are retired. But offhand I only know one person who uses his for his work commute.

If you are able to, do many of you use your XLR for a daily work commute? How does it work out for you?

Just curious on this - I know a lot of people who live where it snows have to put their XLR up for the winter. I also know a fair number of owners are retired. But offhand I only know one person who uses his for his work commute.

If you are able to, do many of you use your XLR for a daily work commute? How does it work out for you?

Hi Amy,

I used to just not drive my XLR when it rained (or looked like rain) - in the spring/summer/fall time - but now that Devin is going to be needing a car for school, I use the XLR rain or shine (about the only time I don't take the XLR is when I travel - I don't like leaving the XLR at the airport).

That would explain the 173K miles on it,huh?

Qualify Work?

Yes, I use mine for work....but I am retired :cool: so I am working on having FUN! :burnout: :party

Last year while I was still working :rolleyes: (bought the car in May '11) I drove it to work anytime I did not need to bring a car with a baby seat for my granddaughter ...... unless it was going to rain and it was clean....which it usually is! Mind you, I had a reserved parking spot in the staff parking area on the property of my own retail business!

I am semi-retired and work from home, so that makes my XLR my daily driver. Like Gray Toad.....I'm working at having fun. :cool:

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2

Since I bought it

My X has been my daily driver since I bought it in 2005

I couldn't use my XLR for my "daily driver", even if I wanted to. I drive a Tahoe because I have to visit jobsites and carry technical gear.

That being said, I purchased my XLR to be driven only when the weather is nice, for pleasure driving only. I have enjoyed driving it on the Asheville trip last year and the Pennsylvania trip this year.

We drove the northern half of the Blue Ridge Parkway (and the entirety of the Skyline Drive as well) on our way to Pennsylvania and really enjoyed it. We are planning on driving the southern half of the BRP this fall.

Usually at least once per week, I will dare the commute (52 miles) on my V. Other than that, it is a del sol ( or del slow...del soak...lots of names)...anyway, I did invest in a 3m product...ala invisible bra to minimize rock chips.

Bought it to drive it!

I can't say it's my daily driver... but I DO get it out whenever possible. That's about 10-12,000 miles per year, and I only drive her for 3-4 months out of the year. I'm one of those that store mine duing the winter months...

Daily Drive

I bought it to drive. It is my daily Ride, my take for a Joyride, and my Trip ride. At the office when a couple of us go out for lunch it is the take us to lunch Ride. I had not had a car just for me to drive since before I was married, always family cars or trucks. The XLR V was a reward for a major accomplishment to myself. My wife generally tries to convince me to take her Prius on trips, but I just can't hardly stand it. The XLR V was built to drive, so drive it, I do. Bluehawk

Drive it ...
It's a C-A-R .... not a monument. Unless you've got a production, none of them are all that collectible. I intend to enjoy every day I have her. Yes, she is one of our daily driver's ..... MINE! ;)

It's not my car

Schooley's XLR has been a daily driver since it has been @ our house.:lol:

Unfortunately, by "work" I don't mean what Graytoad/Sandy gets to do! At least for me "work" means a 60 mile round trip commute Mon-Fri that isn't a lot of fun.

Chicago Dave definitely wins the mileage award on this thread. Good to hear the XLR isn't just a dedicated Devin datemobile! And owning a XLR-V & a Prius just seems like a complete conflict of interest - although I guess they balance well on carbon footprints.

I've been considering getting a XLR for my commute, because right now I only use mine on weekends (Beauty is also working towards dedicated show car status so it wouldn't be her). It's just an idea I'm playing with pending the point my current daily driver gives up the ghost.

I guess one side issue is the cars are "rare," & everyone has a different philosophy on the drive 'em up & wear them out approach vs. they aren't made any more so make them last. Not to mention the occasional parts shortage problem. And my driving style is such that if I'm driving them, I'm wearing them out! :burnout:

I would definitely put on a 3m "bra" if I used it daily. I have a similar thing on the headlights for my daily car because my commute completely scratched up the ones on my prior car, & I can't recommend them enough.

My daily commute is a 45 mile round trip which takes about an hour using 2 lane, 4 lane and divided interstate. For the 2 1/2 years that I've had the XLR, I've split the miles between the XLR and my '05 CTS. I originally considered trading in the CTS but decided that there are times that I need the room plus I'm usually the designated driver for my parents and my father said the XLR's trunk didn't qualify as a rumble seat and I defer to his judgement as he has first hand knowledge of that type seating. I had also put winter tires on the CTS in '09 so that is the bad weather winter car. With the mild weather this past winter the XLR had a lot of winter miles; as long as there wasn't snow on the road or snow wasn't forecasted, I drove it. Another winter factor is that the XLR is parked in the garage and the CTS is outside. Poor home design on having only a 2 car garage as I once said "why would 2 people have 3 cars?". I do avoid driving it on bad weather days since it is a bit of a hassle to walk around the car in the rain to get the computer case out of the passenger side. Obviously the trunk on a rainy day isn't ideal for storing the case. I go out for lunch each day and it is so rewarding to have that brief lunchtime drive. I bought it to drive it and I enjoy it.

I've been considering getting a XLR for my commute, because right now I only use mine on weekends (Beauty is also working towards dedicated show car status so it wouldn't be her). It's just an idea ........

When it is home with me the XLR is not my daily driver but it gets a lot of exercise traveling around with this group. Arrived at my first XLR event in Madison, Indiana the day after I bought the XLR in North Carolina. Love being a member of this group of XLR car groupies! Best folks ever!

Also love the idea of having two (2) XLRs. I suspect Kathy is on-board too..... Not there yet!

Steve

Love being a member of this group of XLR car groupies! Best folks ever!

Also love the idea of having two (2) XLRs. I suspect Kathy is on-board too..... Not there yet!

Steve

My plan is to eventually upgrade to a black XLR-V someday. I will still not ever get rid of my '05, but I will use it as my daily driver, then for our group events, Devin can bring it along (eventually probably selling it to him). :cool: I too, like the idea of having two XLR's.

Extending the two XLRs, one family discussion - We're in Seattle visiting son and daughter-in-law and their first house. The local dealer has a 2007 V, 18,800 and black of course = Coach has already suggested we go check it out so she could have one whether here or at home!

As far as daily driver, the only thing that limits Black Beauty's road time is trunk space - as previously reported in this forum, we rarely put the top up - but otherwise it goes.

Final note: As we were leaving for the airport, our daughter who is watching the house and the dog didn't wish us a safe trip but instead ask if we had checked Beauty's mileage:nono:!

What a wonderful concept!...two XLRs!...I'll have to formulate my plan...actually get the wife to drive mine so that she must have one ...then BAM!, my new commuter lol.

I have backed away from daily driver status a bit...alas, there is road construction on hwy 680. Not had mine that long...apparent from the undercarriage that the previous owner never drove in the rain.

Question is, how well do they handle in the rain?...'cus I believe it is gonna get wet!

Back to the second xlr...with my del sol beater nearing 200k, if treated right, how many miles should one expect from a N* ?

Schooley's XLR has been a daily driver since it has been @ our house.:lol:

THAT'S the answer - have SOMEONE ELSE'S XLR for a daily driver!

Steve - I'm sure you are curious as to whether your XLR would make a good daily driver in as many states as possible, and I'm happy to help! Send it my way next, I have a great mix of interstate, city, & residential neighborhoods I can run it through in my area. I'm sure you have better things to drive ... :cool:

I've driven mine to work a couple of times... once by design as I had a service scheduled after work... and the other when the battery died on my commuter. It's about a 10 mile city drive each way. We have gravel and heavy trucks in the area and I just don't like to subject her to the possibilities. I DO, however, look for all the OTHER opportunities to take her out ; )

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back
Top Bottom