Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

Does your car have relay chatter?

Phrede

Seasoned Member
My car is at the dealer for a number of issues. One that they are saying normal, but was not there before that I can remember.

When ever I press the engine start button I hear what sounds like relay chatter from behind the radio for about second. This happens when starting or stopping the engine or going into or out of accessory mode. It only happens after the button has been pressed

It is hard to describe the sound. It sounds like a very quick series of clicks for just a second.

Sound familiar?

My car is at the dealer for a number of issues. One that they are saying normal, but was not there before that I can remember.

When ever I press the engine start button I hear what sounds like relay chatter from behind the radio for about second. This happens when starting or stopping the engine or going into or out of accessory mode. It only happens after the button has been pressed

It is hard to describe the sound. It sounds like a very quick series of clicks for just a second.

Sound familiar?

My XLR has always done that, ever since I have owned it. I think it is normal. You hear the same "clicking" if it doesn't detect a FOB, correct? :dunno:

My XLR has always done that, ever since I have owned it. I think it is normal. You hear the same "clicking" if it doesn't detect a FOB, correct? :dunno:

Thanks for the reply, Dave. I can't say for sure. I get to visit my car in the morning and should be able to tell. I'm just trying to see if it really is normal.

My design experience tells me that relay chatter is very undesirable and causes premature relay failure and electrical noise problems. If they all do it, there is nothing to fix though.

Mine makes the same noise. Haven't had a no fob detected to compare.

My 2006 does the same thing, but only if I have a different fob in my pocket. Normally I use fob 1, if for some reason I grab fob 2, then upon opening the door I will hear the "chatter" you described...before pressing the start button.

:cool:

Thanks to all. You have helped a bunch. It is a shame I can not trust what my dealer sez.

I just noticed that the other night, intermittent relay chatter, and "no fob detected." the relay noise stopped when the fob was recognized a short time later.

Sounds like a software or design hack, if all cars do it.

Dave

Mine did alot if clicking when I first got the car and CTech told me to replace my batteries in my FOB as the car was not getting a strong signal and was rechecking for the FOB. It was even clicking it as I traveled down the road. :willy_nilly: I put new batteries in it and it stopped doing that (mid May) ....... well I have noticed recently it starting to do a bit more clicking again but just when starting & stopping etc. It does not do it when driving down the road; at least not yet! :rolleyes:

So, all you 'vetran' XLR owners who drive their car more or less daily need to speak up. Do you find you need to replace your batteries in the FOB often? :dunno:

My 2006 does the same thing, but only if I have a different fob in my pocket. Normally I use fob 1, if for some reason I grab fob 2, then upon opening the door I will hear the "chatter" you described...before pressing the start button.

:cool:

That could actually explain some things. When I first got the cart I only got one FOB, #2. The dealer could not find the #1 FOB for a while. That may explain why I didn't notice it at first.

I will take my #2 FOB with me (with fresh battery if I have them) in the morning and see if it makes a difference.

So, all you 'vetran' XLR owners who drive their car more or less daily need to speak up. Do you find you need to replace your batteries in the FOB often? :dunno:

I have not changed batteries in either fob since I got the car in August, '08.

PHREDE said:
Sound familiar?

Mine has always done the series of clicks you are talking about...

Same for mine - starts up the moment I open the door. '08 Caddy (not an XLR) with push button start is even worse. No clicking, but LOTS of high pitched whirring noises under the hood that start and go on a long time just from opening a door. It "comes alive." Haven't had problems with either car though. :rocker:

The FOB with a new battery made no difference. Just to be clear....
What I am talking about is a very sharp and distinct rapid clicking that sounds like it is coming from behind the radio.

I also have a more muffled whirr sound that happens sometimes when I open the door or after I have turned the car off. It sounds like it is coming from behind the gauge area of the dash. This sound lasts a little longer and reminds me of a dampener opening or closing.

The sound itself does not bother me, if it is normal. My only concern is future problems as a result. I think the comments here make me think they all do it.

They all do. I have the same sound - it almost sounds like a cooling fan (with bad bearings!) behind the instrument Panel Cluster. It's been like that forever - nothing to worry about for any of the above mentioned sounds. They are very normal.

I agree with the "fan with bad bearings" noise being normal. I'm not so sure about the other noise behind the radio. I'm starting to think that I may not have been clear enough and some people may be getting the two noises confused. I have two distinctly different noises.

They are all normal. The relay you are hearing is actually under the console near the shift lever. When you press the brake pedal and start the car the relay move a lever to be able to shift it out of park.

They are all normal. The relay you are hearing is actually under the console near the shift lever. When you press the brake pedal and start the car the relay move a lever to be able to shift it out of park.

The same noise occurs when going from off to ACC mode or from ACC mode to off. With or without the brake being depressed. I think tomorrow I am going to pull the radio just to see if I can get a better idea. I want to do the NAV speed input hack anyway.

Same "noises" in my 06. It sounds to me like the relay clicking is actually coming from the BCM located under the carpet near the firewall on the passenger side. You can easily pull the carpet back from the top and check that before tearing your radio out of the dash! There is also a shift interlock solenoid located in the console near the shifter that moves when you press the brake pedal like Cubby says. The whirring noise I think is coming from the HUD. I just ignore them all because once the engine starts my mind is in another place!

This sound must be normal

They all do. I have the same sound - it almost sounds like a cooling fan (with bad bearings!) behind the instrument Panel Cluster. It's been like that forever - nothing to worry about for any of the above mentioned sounds. They are very normal.

I bought my 05 in March of this year and I have drivin this car every day and even put on 6000 miles since I bought it and these sounds are always there. But no issues of any type causing any problems, I did have FOB 1 go haywire it just started acting up, would not open the doors,trunk and sometimes no FOB detected, than I change the battery in the FOB and it just stop working all together, so I order a new one had it programed and it's work perfect ever since But the sound are still there they must be normal. :pat:

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back
Top Bottom