Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

Driving to the XLR Homecoming 2013

onalaska

Seasoned Member
My XLR/V(s)
2006 Infared XLR-V
Anyone driving up from Texas that is interested in meeting up somewhere along the way?

Anyone driving up from Texas that is interested in meeting up somewhere along the way?

Hi Steven & Diane,

I'm planning on going up I-65 from Biloxi, MS. after picking up my +1 (a lady I meant on the way home after my visit to my uncle's in FL., after the TX. Mile event in Beeville, TX. last year. Her name is Gina.)
If you want to make a little change in this trip, turn east on I-10 and we can meet up in Biloxi, MS.
It's about a days drive from there to BG.

caravan

What route will you all be taking we are coming down from S. Central PA map shows our shortest way & time is down thur WV over thru Charleston WV 10 1/2 Hrs. 81 shows 1 hr longer

coming from RI to arriving thurs. after noon. could maybe hookup w/ victor v. I could meet victor v in va and we could meet you in pa.?? just my idea? you or victor v can let me know.

Long Distance Tally

I have an idea, it will be interesting to note how many miles everyone traveled to attend as a group and for that matter who is the longest distance and the shortest distance to the event. If everyone clears one of their trip meters on their car before they pull out of their driveway we can compile all of that info when we get there. I can print a sign that we can post at the event: This collective group of Cadillac XLR's traveled a combined XX,XXX miles to attend this Homecoming Event and Car Show! :burnout:

I have an idea, it will be interesting to note how many miles everyone traveled to attend as a group and for that matter who is the longest distance and the shortest distance to the event. If everyone clears one of their trip meters on their car before they pull out of their driveway we can compile all of that info when we get there. I can print a sign that we can post at the event: This collective group of Cadillac XLR's traveled a combined XX,XXX miles to attend this Homecoming Event and Car Show! :burnout:

204 miles from my house to the Museum and I never leave the state. I will not add much to the total.

204 miles from my house to the Museum and I never leave the state. I will not add much to the total.

Actually Fred, I thought you lived closer by some of the thing you have said. 3 hours is a nice drive too! :burnout:

I can already tell you, Phrede is the closest and Patrickv2221 and/or WB6BBZ will have the longest drives from CA. :):)

I can already tell you, Phrede is the closest and Patrickv2221 and/or WB6BBZ will have the longest drives from CA. :):)

I don't know if my drive could count as I won't be taking the shortest route from my home to BG because I'll be going down the west coast to San Diego, CA. then taking I-8 east to I-10 in AZ. then I'll stay on I-10 all the way to Biloxi, MS. to pick up Gina and then we'll be taking I-65 north to BG.
By the way Phrede, are you going to count just the 1 way trip or the round trip?

I have driven I-40, I-70, I-80 and I-90 from my home across the US so many times that it's getting boring so I figure it's time to take the southern route as I've never traveled on I-8 yet.

And if you're wondering why I haven't taken I-94 yet Rod (MTROCKET), i plan on taking that route after your gathering to drive to Wisconsin Dells, WI. to visit my youngest daughter and her family.

Actually Fred, I thought you lived closer by some of the thing you have said. 3 hours is a nice drive too! :burnout:
3 hours??!! Is that in Canadian time? :chuckle I'm not driving a tractor. I plan on leaving around 9 and arriving around 10:30. 10:45 if I'm drinking coffee :)

I don't know if my drive could count as I won't be taking the shortest route from my home to BG because I'll be going down the west coast to San Diego, CA. then taking I-8 east to I-10 in AZ. then I'll stay on I-10 all the way to Biloxi, MS. to pick up Gina and then we'll be taking I-65 north to BG.
By the way Phrede, are you going to count just the 1 way trip or the round trip?

I have driven I-40, I-70, I-80 and I-90 from my home across the US so many times that it's getting boring so I figure it's time to take the southern route as I've never traveled on I-8 yet.

And if you're wondering why I haven't taken I-94 yet Rod (MTROCKET), i plan on taking that route after your gathering to drive to Wisconsin Dells, WI. to visit my youngest daughter and her family.

About 200 is one way. I'm going to be careful with my route because Gizmo is not that much further and I expect his wheels may not be touching the ground part of the way. knowing the way he drives :)

About 200 is one way. I'm going to be careful with my route because Gizmo is not that much further and I expect his wheels may not be touching the ground part of the way. knowing the way he drives :)

About 290 miles for me, but I have to make more fuel stops. :laugh:

The drive to Bowling Green

I can tell you that as the crow flies WB6BBZ has the longer drive with him being in Lawndale and I'm a hundred miles further east in Palm Desert. But, I will be attending my 50th Reunion in Michigan first. Then we will visit friends in PA. We then plan to drive the Skyline Drive through Shenandoah NP and on through the Blue Ridge Parkway To Asheville, NC. Then it on up through Cherokee, NC on through the Great Smokey NP to Pigeon Forge, TN and on to Bowling Green, KY. My trip planner shows this to be a total of 3,551.7 miles give or take a few hundred yards. Am I crazy or what?:dunno:

If you are going through Cherokee coming from Asheville, you might as well drive up Route 129 to Pigeon Forge. Route 129 is 'The Tail of The Dragon'. It's great doing it on a motorcycle, but will still be fun in the XLR!!

I can tell you that as the crow flies WB6BBZ has the longer drive with him being in Lawndale and I'm a hundred miles further east in Palm Desert. But, I will be attending my 50th Reunion in Michigan first. Then we will visit friends in PA. We then plan to drive the Skyline Drive through Shenandoah NP and on through the Blue Ridge Parkway To Asheville, NC. Then it on up through Cherokee, NC on through the Great Smokey NP to Pigeon Forge, TN and on to Bowling Green, KY. My trip planner shows this to be a total of 3,551.7 miles give or take a few hundred yards. Am I crazy or what?:dunno:

Not crazy at all... you just LOVE to drive your XLR, as the rest of us do.

As long as you leave your house and head for BG on what ever route pleases you then that is fine. There are no rules here: you dont have to take the most direct route. I plan on leaving Wednesday and drive down the Blue Ridge pkwy and to the Tail of the Dragon which is a road I have never even driven on my Harley either, we will arrive in BG in the early afternoon Thursday. Yes I know I need to get out more and not be in a hurry to get where I am headed all the time. Life is a journey, NOT a destination! :burnout:

Closure of 20 mile section of Blue Ridge Parkway!

For those of you planning to travel via the Blue Ridge Parkway, be aware that there is a 20 mile section of the parkway closed, between MP 376 and MP 355. I don't know if it will be open by the end of September or not, but you can check this site for current conditions.

Parkway Road Conditions - Blue Ridge Parkway

When Alexis & I traveled to Gettysburg last year, we drove up the Blue Ridge Parkway to the northern end. We spent the night in Waynesboro, VA, and then drove the Skyline Drive the next day. We then drove from Front Royal on into Gettysburg, PA that afternoon.

It was a very nice drive. Keep in mind that the speed limit on the BRP is 45 and 35 on the Skyline!

Here's a nice picture that I took on the BRP on our trip last year.

DSC00783.jpg

For those of you planning to travel via the Blue Ridge Parkway, be aware that there is a 20 mile section of the parkway closed, between MP 376 and MP 355. I don't know if it will be open by the end of September or not, but you can check this site for current conditions.

When Alexis & I traveled to Gettysburg last year, we drove up the Blue Ridge Parkway to the northern end. We spent the night in Waynesboro, VA, and then drove the Skyline Drive the next day. We then drove from Front Royal on into Gettysburg, PA that afternoon.

It was a very nice drive. Keep in mind that the speed limit on the BRP is 45 and 35 on the Skyline!

DSC00783.jpg
Thanx for the heads up. In doing my trip research I found out that there is a 300 ft long by 6" wide by 4ft deep crack down the middle of the road. It is even closed to pedestrians and bicycles. I plan to drop down to Marion and then to Asheville.

DSC00783.jpg

WHAT A GREAT PICTURE!!!:wave::wave::wave:

Wow now thats a fantastic backdrop.

Driving the Skyline Drive and Blue Ridge Parkway is a lot of fun in an XLR, but keep in mind that the Skyline Drive is 105 miles long with a 35 mph speed limit. That's 3 hours minimum at the legal limit. There is also an admission fee to the Shenandoah National Park, which the Skyline Drive runs through.

The BRP is 469 miles long with a maximum speed limit of 45 mph in most places, some places are lower. At legal speed limit, that's more than 10 hours of driving. There are no fees associated with driving the BRP.

Keep these figures in mind if you are planning to drive either or both, and allow yourself enough time to do it properly and enjoy it!

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back
Top Bottom