Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

Exterior Color Confusion

Rob

Seasoned Member
Staff member
Site Administrator
My XLR/V(s)
Not yet!
Ok, I updated all of the production info in the Model Center with the marketing names of the exterior colors. So now, the engineering names and the marketing names are side by side and hopefully a little less confusing!

• Admin
But wait, there's more! I bought some touch-up paint from my GM dealer for my Light Platinum vehicle. . . . The parts guru looks up the RPO code for the color and sells me a paint (which matches perfectly) called: Light Tarnished Silver.

Has anyone else bought GM touch-up paint that had a completely different name from either the mfr or dealer brochure paint codes?

CC

• Admin
But wait, there's more! I bought some touch-up paint from my GM dealer for my Light Platinum vehicle. . . . The parts guru looks up the RPO code for the color and sells me a paint (which matches perfectly) called: Light Tarnished Silver.

Has anyone else bought GM touch-up paint that had a completely different name from either the mfr or dealer brochure paint codes?

CC
Ahhhhh, but it's not:

http://xlr-net.com/specs/2004/2004prod.html

CC

When I did the repair on mine and ordered the paint using 80U code, on the can was "Red Jewel", not Infrared nor Monterey Red.

Rod,

Both 2006 & 2007 Red's were paint code 80U. The other names were used on marketing materials.

When I did the repair on mine and ordered the paint using 80U code, on the can was "Red Jewel", not Infrared nor Monterey Red.

The paint names in the brochure are decided upon by a team within the design staff. That name will change depending on the vehicle. For example, Light Pewter Metallic (Corvette), Silver Sand (Escalade) & Willow Sage (Dupont, 3M paint supplier), all the same color & code. The name really isn't important, go by the paint codes.

As I mentioned in another thread, I recently ordered paint to do my engine cover. After a day or so of agonizing over GM/Cadillac paint codes, I have found that the paint codes that are listed below are all the same.

:cool:

WA316N Gold Mist Metallic (Cadillic Paint Code)
2006 Model Year

WA506Q Goldstream Metallic (Cadillac Paint Code) 2008 Model Year

WA929L Cashmere Metallic (Cadillac Paint Code)
2009 Model Year

NG GM 516 & WA5333 Gold Metallic (GM/Saturn Paint Code)

The paint names in the brochure are decided upon by a team within the design staff. That name will change depending on the vehicle. For example, Light Pewter Metallic (Corvette), Silver Sand (Escalade) & Willow Sage (Dupont, 3M paint supplier), all the same color & code. The name really isn't important, go by the paint codes.
You're right. Except, the name is important to me for the sake of building the Registry.

What I needed were the names as found on the Window Stickers, so that I don't have people coming to me stating that they cannot find their color in the Registry or in the Model Center as has happened in the past.

Bruce,

It's marked wrong in the Model Center. It should be Blue Steel in the paranthesis. I noticed that this afternoon.

I have a 34U, Blue Steel 2005 XLR. I don't see that code listed for 2005.
Bruce

Bruce,

It's marked wrong in the Model Center. It should be Blue Steel in the paranthesis. I noticed that this afternoon.

Awesome! Fixed!

If you guys notice errors like this in the Model Center, please let me know so I can fix it. :blinzel:

Bruce,

Cool. Very nice info Rob, glad to see it all in one place.
I think 86U is also marked wrong in 2005.
Bruce

Cool. Very nice info Rob, glad to see it all in one place.
I think 86U is also marked wrong in 2005.
Bruce
What should it be?

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry