Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

Gas Gauge Error

My gauge has hovered around 2/3rd's of a tank since April. I was hoping that these Tectron treatments might work. My gauge does move down to about 1/4 tank when empty.

On mine the gas gauge only showed between 1/2 & 3/4 right after a fill then I left it run down under a half a tank and when I fill up again it stay at that spot just before 1/2 a tank ever since. It goes completely to empty when off and back up to full when starting then returns back to the same position! :dunno: Guess some switch
in the tank broke, :dunno:

Fuel treatment

Cadillac Tech had posted some time ago that the regular use of the GM Fuel Treatment might help prevent this problem. I began purchasing this item from my local GM dealer and using it in Crimson Pearl after seeing his recommendation.

At one point, the part number changed. It is currently known as ACDelco Fuel System Treatment Plus and the p/n is 88861013.

It is recommended to be used every 3000 miles.

It states on the label that it Cleans and Protects fuel gauge sensors from harmful sulfur in some gasolines.

Cadillac Tech had posted some time ago that the regular use of the GM Fuel Treatment might help prevent this problem. I began purchasing this item from my local GM dealer and using it in Crimson Pearl after seeing his recommendation.

At one point, the part number changed. It is currently known as ACDelco Fuel System Treatment Plus and the p/n is 88861013.

It is recommended to be used every 3000 miles.

It states on the label that it Cleans and Protects fuel gauge sensors from harmful sulfur in some gasolines.

I had read all 3 pages of this thread but never found anyone who had tried a fuel treatment and had it work. The Chevron product also makes the same claim. I have just put a dose in the tank. I will keep you posted.

I had read all 3 pages of this thread but never found anyone who had tried a fuel treatment and had it work. The Chevron product also makes the same claim. I have just put a dose in the tank. I will keep you posted.

I'm not sure if it is supposed to be able to solve the problem once it occurs as opposed to preventing the problem.

I've not experienced this problem with Crimson Pearl as of yet, so I'm currently using it as a preventative.

I read recently after mine went haywire that you should at least try the additive because it may just be corrosion on the contacts!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Thanks Dan

My car "stalled" on the freeway about a year ago, had it towed, and I was embarrassed when the dealership told me I "ran out of gas". I surely thought somehow I was distracted and didn't notice it was low. Two days ago, the same exact thing happened, only this time, I knew for a fact that the guage read 1/4 full. Towed it, and he said I ran out again! Then he suggested replacing the sending unit......$2,800!!!!!!!!!!! Please tell me that the additive at least works a little. What a complete hassle it will be to worry continuously that i will run out. I have always used Premium, not necessarily always from the same place, but I am really ****ed.

I would give it a try, it may help out. Until you get it fixed, you could reset one of your trip odometers everytime you fill up & watch the miles. It may keep you from running out again.

Make sure you have them run the tank sensor diagnostic with a testing unit they had check mine and ended up be a bad connection and NOT the tank sensor! Sad part was mine is covered to fix it under the warranty I bought and was hoping they had to drop it so I could get the exhaust H pipe and and pipes back to the mufflers ceramic coated! Ended up costing me about 250.00 for diagnostic which warranty does not cover to fix the gas gauge, but it is still working fine!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

Make sure you have them run the tank sensor diagnostic with a testing unit they had check mine and ended up be a bad connection and NOT the tank sensor! Sad part was mine is covered to fix it under the warranty I bought and was hoping they had to drop it so I could get the exhaust H pipe and and pipes back to the mufflers ceramic coated! Ended up costing me about 250.00 for diagnostic which warranty does not cover to fix the gas gauge, but it is still working fine!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

Gas Gauge and Fuel Treatmant Products

I guess I will have to take it to the dealer for a look. In the for what it's worth department; the Tectron fuel treatment did not solve the problem. It may have prevented the malfunction had it been regularly added. This car was not driven very much (47K in 9 years) and this my have been a contributing factor. I can only hope I get off for $250.00

I would give it a try, it may help out. Until you get it fixed, you could reset one of your trip odometers everytime you fill up & watch the miles. It may keep you from running out again.

My gauge has been not working half of the summer and that is all I do ... right now, I'm not interested in replacing a $60 part - at a cost of $2K. When my fuel gauge says a half tank, it is at half of a tank - so I stop and fill up. For long trips (like on my way to BG tomorrow night), I will just watch the miles on the odometer. Yea, its a hassle, but I can deal with it. :cool:

I guess I will have to take it to the dealer for a look. In the for what it's worth department; the Tectron fuel treatment did not solve the problem. It may have prevented the malfunction had it been regularly added. This car was not driven very much (47K in 9 years) and this my have been a contributing factor. I can only hope I get off for $250.00

I have the same problem with my fuel gauge ... my car has almost 185K on it ... I don't think it is from not being driven. :( My problem started shortly after I switched to PREMIUM fuel (had always used "regular" since I have gotten it - with just a few PREMIUM fill ups on occasion). I'm not blaming that as the cause ... I'm just sayin'. I too, tried ths treatment and it did not work. :(

Good luck at the dealer!

Also, the hours posted by Cadillac tech earlier in this post say six (6), far from the quoted 20 that my dealer gave me. How on earth could it take 20 hours to undo the rear suspension, mufflers, etc. on this car?? Is acces to the sending unit on top of the fuel tank(s)? Perhaps i could cut a small hole in the trunk to access it?

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back
Top Bottom