Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

Lifting rear of XLR

Kenny Franklin

My XLR/V(s)
2006 Light Platinum XLR
I would like to remove the rear wheels to clean them and inspect the brake pads. Is the aluminum cross member behind the leaf spring substantial enough to lift the rear and wood using a block of wood be beneficial in distributing the weight.

Yes, you can do this. You may need a way to get the rearend high enough to get jack
with protective wood under the cross member, AND you need to use jack stands once you
get the car high enough.

I have done that too, but used 2 floor jacks than add stands for safety!

QUESTION? Does our XLR set on a C5 or C6 Corvette frame?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Dan & Wendy
"05 GRAND DADDY"

Last edited:
The C5 and C6 frame/chassis were used though I'm not sure when the C6 was first used.

C6 Corvette was started for the 2005 model year run,,,but production of that vehicle was:

Production2004–February 28, 2013

<TBODY>
</TBODY>

So I'd assume that maybe all XLR's are on the C6 frame?

Found this on the C6 forum,,,,

9a7f5838.jpg

Hope the picture shows up.....had trouble earlier posting a picture

c6-jacking-11b.jpg

Another method for jacking / lifting / supporting C6 - PICS!!! - Corvette Forum

Last edited:
C6 Corvette was started for the 2005 model year run,,,but production of that vehicle was:

Production2004–February 28, 2013

<tbody>
</tbody>

So I'd assume that maybe all XLR's are on the C6 frame?

Thanks but what frame do you think the 2004 XLR's produced in 2003 & 2004 was used?

Last edited:
All xlr chassis are the same.GM used a modified c5 chassis for the xlr and the c6 corvette. :) Al

OK, so if I have all of this sorted out, it should be fair to say that the C6 was built on the XLR frame, since our cars came first. :chuckle

Tim

(Just stirring the pot a little, yano...) :(

I still don't know! I'm really confused now so many different opinions lol! So is my 05 on the C5 or C6

Dan & Wendy
"05 GRAND DADDY"

I still don't know! I'm really confused now so many different opinions lol! So is my 05 on the C5 or C6

Dan & Wendy
"05 GRAND DADDY"

All 04 to 09 xlr and xlrV are on a c6 chassis.

Dan & Wendy
"05 GRAND DADDY"

There are very minor differences between a C6 Chassis and an XLR Chassis, but they are different with the XLR having some additional holes. The Main Frame of a C6 and C5 are very similar. Unless you start talking about the ZR-1:)

From Corvette Forums about C5 v. C6 frames:
The biggest difference that I know of it the rear sub-frame, control arms, and spring mounting are different. That's how they lengthened the wheelbase going from a C5 to a C6. The rear leaf spring on a C6 mounts the same as the front, as opposed to the method the C5 used.

The channeling around the door jams is different, and the frame IN FRONT of the front wheels is short, but the frame itself and subframes are pretty much the same.

C5%20Frame.jpg

X05AR_CA014.jpg

HTH

Last edited:
OK, so if I have all of this sorted out, it should be fair to say that the C6 was built on the XLR frame, since our cars came first. :chuckle

Tim

(Just stirring the pot a little, yano...) :(

Hi Tim, let me expand on this, you can say the c6 was built on the xlr frame BUT let's go back. the xlr frame is a modified c5 frame. c6 frame is modified from xlr. so to review: xlr built from c5, 1 1/2 inches longer for the N* eng. c6 built on xlr frame?? remember the xlr/c6 frames are about identical and were eng.for both vehicles. It's like the chicken or the egg?? that's the info I have from the XLR book.?? someone else jump in the pot w/ more info.:laugh: Al

Last edited:

Dan & Wendy
"05 GRAND DADDY"

I agree with 05 granddaddy. So my 06 is on the c6 chassis. :lol:
I love this forum with all the helpful info.

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back