Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

My February... BUSINESS FIRE

mtrocket

Seasoned Member
My XLR/V(s)
2007 Red Jewel XLR
My February 28th... BUSINESS FIRE

Started out as a normal thursday. Went to work to start in on a new job, where I had some welding to fashion a way to hang 275# tanks for refinishing. Started welding and... BOOM... Flash fire. Thinking about getting out of the shop, I got out of the area in which I was welding. I dropped & rolled at which time got the majority of the flames out, I went toward the rear walk-in door, but something was telling me not to open it. Anyway, so I turned around & headed for the front walk-in door, which is through an office area. Then, I found the office door to be locked (I had come in through the drive in door and had forgotten to unlock the walk in door.) So, I turned around once again to get my key out of my jacket pocket, hanging on the office wall. I get the key ring and unlocked out of the shop.
The first guy I see is a city worker that had been driving by. I noticed my neighbor already on the phone dialing 911. The city worker then told me 911 had been called and for me to just relax across the street on the cool grass.
I did so, the fire department got a little lost going only 6 blocks, I can't rebuild where I am located,and the rest is history...
The important part is that I'm still here, and not too much worse for wear. The website to send greetings to me is:

Connecting Friends & Family During a Health Event | CaringBridge.org

you can then search for:
rodney hessler
and all posts, etc for my caring bridge blog will come up, you may have to sign in to post.

Started out as a normal thursday. Went to work to start in on a new job, where I had some welding to fashion a way to hang 275# tanks for refinishing. Started welding and... BOOM... Flash fire. Thinking about getting out of the shop, I got out of the area in which I was welding. I dropped & rolled at which time got the majority of the flames out, I went toward the rear walk-in door, but something was telling me not to open it. Anyway, so I turned around & headed for the front walk-in door, which is through an office area. Then, I found the office door to be locked (I had come in through the drive in door and had forgotten to unlock the walk in door.) So, I turned around once again to get my key out of my jacket pocket, hanging on the office wall. I get the key ring and unlocked out of the shop.

Sure is great to see you on the forum again. Wishing you a very speedy and full recovery, keeping you in my prayers.

Hi Rod .... I just finished reading your post outloud to Ray. We've been thinking about you all week .... I told Ray that you had posted on the forum that morning .... so when you say just a normal Thursday .... we get that .... life as usual. We think you must have welded in that shop hundreds of times .... Which just goes to prove that you never know .... you just NEVER KNOW. I'm not clear on what a flash fire is ... my dad was a welder by trade and he did both weld (oxyacetylene and arc) ... I know when he said he got a 'flash' that was a painful burn of his eye .... Maybe later when you feel better we can talk about which you were doing. All I know is THAT WE ARE SO GLAD TO READ YOUR POST TONIGHT! :wave::rocker::love: I hope the docs are giving you the 'good' drugs to keep you comfortable .... Thank you for posting and giving us reassurance that you are on your way to recovery. You take care ... love you you and Cindy .... xxoo

Hey Rod, I'm so glad to see you are feeling decent enough to post. I hope all is going as well as to be expected. Hang in there, rest and get well.

Speaking for myself and hopefully a good part of the XLR family, I (we) really appreciate all of your different postings throughout the day. I noticed they had stopped before we were notified what had happened so that shows I logged on each day to see what "mtrocket" found today. You always come up with great stuff.:worship:

Rod, you and Cindy are in our thoughts and prayers. :wave:

Mike

Rod,

Glad to see you are back on the forum! Supa & I are praying daily for you and your family. Don't over do anything and listen to your doctors, they know what is best. Knowing how tough you are, you will have a speedy recovery!!

Rod, sure glad to read your post and that your on the road to recovery. I have never met you but we have had dealings in the past years with parts and etc.
I can associate with your experience in that i was a boilermaker (international brotherhood of boilermakers) for over 30 years and had many close encounters with welding accidents. As they say "familiarity breds content". How many times have members of this forum say to themselves heck "i have done this a thousand times" , as in your case you probably did that too.
Someday I hope to meet you at an event. I have always appreciated your sense of humor and look forward to your posts.

Here's to a speedy recovery !!!:beerchug:

Hey Rod Thanks for an update glad to see you back here posting on the forum!
Listen to docs I'm sure they know what's best they deal with people with your situations every day! God Bless Wendy & I are praying for a very quick recovery for you!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Thanks Dan

Recovery

You have been on our minds down here in Texas too. You have all of our best wisshes for a quick recovery. Hawk

Rod,

Great to see you posting!!! We all certainly are waiting to hear everything that is going on concerning your recovery. I think you'll be up and around before the
Spring thaw. We're all pulling for you!!!!

Rod,
WOW, so very happy to see that you are posting. Everyone's prayers must be working for you, so we will continue to pray for your speedy recovery.

The latest...

Latest round of grafting done yesterday. Everything that is to be grafted now has the donor skin on it. Next wednesday, going into the "graft using my own skin" portion. Probably 3 to 4 rounds to get this done on all areas. Then, into acute rehab for 4 to 6 weeks. So far everyone is telling me I am doing so well and am so far ahead of everyone else thato comes in with even less severe burns than I have. They keep asking me how I can keep a smile on my face; I tell them in my way of thinking, I don't have any other choice!!

Latest round of grafting done yesterday. Everything that is to be grafted now has the donor skin on it. Next wednesday, going into the "graft using my own skin" portion. Probably 3 to 4 rounds to get this done on all areas. Then, into acute rehab for 4 to 6 weeks. So far everyone is telling me I am doing so well and am so far ahead of everyone else thato comes in with even less severe burns than I have. They keep asking me how I can keep a smile on my face; I tell them in my way of thinking, I don't have any other choice!!

Glad to hear from you again, Rod .... you have a lot of friends who check here and on CaringBridge eveyday, waiting to hear about your progress - it's great to hear that you are healing at a good rate and without complication .... That's just fabulous news. Well, the smiling part .... that's just who you are ... and that's why you have so many people who truly care abut you ..... And I would think having a great wife and support team is a big plus in your life right now. We read the article and looked at the pictures in the Gazette ... you were so smart and lucky to have stayed in control and make it out of that bldg .... that was A LOT of smoke and fumes. Well, you just hang in there Rod .... not every day is going to be easy - but the next day just might be .... let us know when you will be available to drink wine ;) :love:

Glad to hear from you again, Rod .... you have a lot of friends who check here and on CaringBridge eveyday, waiting to hear about your progress - it's great to hear that you are healing at a good rate and without complication .... That's just fabulous news. Well, the smiling part .... that's just who you are ... and that's why you have so many people who truly care abut you ..... And I would think having a great wife and support team is a big plus in your life right now. We read the article and looked at the pictures in the Gazette ... you were so smart and lucky to have stayed in control and make it out of that bldg .... that was A LOT of smoke and fumes. Well, you just hang in there Rod .... not every day is going to be easy - but the next day just might be .... let us know when you will be available to drink wine ;) :love:

yes, without the support from family & friends, such as yourselves, I'm sure I would not be doing as well as we are...

Just echoing everyone else in saying how great it is to see you posting on the site and that you are doing better than expected. Your positive attitude is the key to your recovery and combined with all of our thoughts and prayers for you How can you miss. Take care, we are all thinking of you.:grouphug:

yes, without the support from family & friends, such as yourselves, I'm sure I would not be doing as well as we are...

I'll know you're better when you start posting your goofy humor .... :laugh: Sometimes that just makes my day .....

What everyone else said.... Me too. Think Spring and get well soon!

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back
Top Bottom