Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

My February... BUSINESS FIRE

Wednesday, March 27th
After the last surgery on Monday, the doctors were stumped about why Rod's blood pressure dropped so drastically. They did a chest ex-ray, many blood tests, and an electrocardiogram. All came back negative. Today they did a cat scan and found blood clots in both lungs so now they are treating it. Hopefully the next surgery will be Monday.

Cindy

Cindy, thanks for the update on Rod's condition. FYI, my wife also developed clots in both lungs, following a hip replacement operation. They put her on a Coumadin (sp?) regimen for 6 months, and now she's fine. Rod's in a wonderful hospital, and I believe that he's getting the finest treatment available. Just know that we all care, and we're pulling for both of you.

Tim

Hi Rod ..... Today is Easter and I know your faith is strong. We hope you are another day closer to healing up and heading out ..... You're a tough guy and it's showing up now .... you guys hang in there .... and don't just eat the ears off the bunny ..... Love to you .... Ray & Ruth Ann :love:

Hope all goes well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Update on Rod

Sorry I haven't posted all the updates on the xlr forum - I am just learning how to do! Cindy

Update
Friday, April 12, 2013

The past two days, Wednesday and Thursday, Rod has not felt well at all. The doctors have figured out he has a couple of infections going on as well as the infections in the burn areas that have not been grafted with his own skin yet. He has had many tests run and he finally felt better last evening about 9:30 pm. He ate a good breakfast and lunch today so we are finally relieved that some of the infections are getting taken care of. Next surgery is scheduled for Monday so we are praying that this weekend he will continue to heal so surgery goes well.

Thanks for your continued prayers!

Cindy

8th surgery
Written Apr 8, 2013 10:09pm

Monday, April 8, 2013
Rod had his 8th surgery today which went very well. The Dr. grafted Rod's own skin onto his left hand and arm. He also took all of the donor grafts off of his legs, cleaned them up to get more of the infection out, and put donor skin back on the legs. Rod has 2-3 more surgeries in the next couple of weeks then he will be on the road to recovery.

Thanks so much for all your cards (condolences for his mom passing away and for his recovery), prayers, and phone calls. We miss all of you and can't wait to get home!

Cindy

7th surgery
Written Apr 3, 2013 12:36pm

Wednesday, April 3, 2013
Rod had his 7th surgery today which went very well. They took off the rest of the donor skin (remember in the 4th surgery they took some off and then stopped surgery because of his blood pressure dropping) and cleaned it all up again. There is still some infection so they decided to put donor skin back on his legs and left arm. The next surgery is scheduled for Monday.

Rod really enjoys reading all of your posts...thank you so much for your continued support.

Cindy

Journal update
Written Apr 1, 2013 3:58pm

Surgery was scheduled for this morning but was cancelled again due to his blood pressure not being stable all night and his heart rate was way up. He walked last evening and when we got back to the room his blood pressure went way down and his heart rate went way up. We stayed with him until about midnight when he seemed stable. Then we got up early and came to the hospital and the doctor came in and let us know that they had cancelled surgery. They are running more tests so we just need to take one day at a time and be patient.. Hopefully he will go into surgery Wednesday.

Thank you for your continued prayers!

Cindy

Things will get better

Rod and Cindy,

I am so sorry to hear about your mother Rod. Keeping you in my prayers and know things will get better. Am so glad you are feeling better today and will pray you will have the surgery as planned on Monday.

9th surgery

9th surgery
Written 25 minutes ago

Monday, April 15, 2013

Surgery today went well. They took skin grafts off his sides and grafted them onto his right leg on the front from the knee down and the whole backside of his right leg. He has been in a lot of pain since surgery mainly on his donor sites (they basically said these would be more painful.) They are giving him some major pain meds to keep him comfortable. They also took the donor skin off of his left leg, cleaned it up some more, and put new donor skin back on it. They are trying to get all the infection out before they graft his own skin on there so the graft will take. He won't be up and walking for a few days.

The skin grafts on his left hand, arm and elbow are looking great!

The next surgery will probably be next Monday.

Thanks for continued prayers and all of your cards. They really brighten his days!

Cindy

Good news when thing are going well ! Still praying for things to start recovering more quickly! God Bless you all!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Thanks Dan

Thanks for keeping us informed, I have also been getting the updates from CaringBridge. We are all thinking of you and continue to send our prayers and good karma your way.

Update and next surgery

Well, Rod has had 4 good days. Tuesday Rod's dad and I took Rod for a wheelchair ride (he was going stir crazy in that bed). The nurses got him all bundled up in blankets and off we went. We went up to 8th floor and toured around acute rehab. Then we went downstairs to the cafeteria and had ice cream bars. Wednesday evening we took him to the burn support meeting and dinner (pizza and apple salad). Those meetings really help him to talk with other burn survivors. Thursday I took Rod's dad to the airport to fly home. Rod's brother, Marv, and dad are getting the shop premises ready for demolition. That evening I took Rod down to the courtyard right outside the front door of the hospital. There were two baby bunnies running around and eating. Friday afternoon I took Rod for another wheelchair ride and we went outside and sat in the beautiful sun for about 15 minutes then back in to the cafeteria for an ice cream bar. Between all the physical therapy, occupational therapy, dressing changes, and wheelchair rides, I have been wearing him out which makes him sleep well at nighttime which is good. He gets quite a few naps in also during the days.

So many of you have asked how I am doing and I am good! Some days are rough but overall I try to keep a positive attitude and I keep telling Rod that we will get through this one day at a time!
The next surgery is scheduled for Monday then hopefully only one more after that.

I think spring has sprung here in Colorado but still can't wait to get home and see all the spring flowers & everyone back home in Billings.

Cindy

Thanks for the update

Well, Rod has had 4 good days. Tuesday Rod's dad and I took Rod for a wheelchair ride (he was going stir crazy in that bed). The nurses got him all bundled up in blankets and off we went. We went up to 8th floor and toured around acute rehab. Then we went downstairs to the cafeteria and had ice cream bars. Wednesday evening we took him to the burn support meeting and dinner (pizza and apple salad). Those meetings really help him to talk with other burn survivors. Thursday I took Rod's dad to the airport to fly home. Rod's brother, Marv, and dad are getting the shop premises ready for demolition. That evening I took Rod down to the courtyard right outside the front door of the hospital. There were two baby bunnies running around and eating. Friday afternoon I took Rod for another wheelchair ride and we went outside and sat in the beautiful sun for about 15 minutes then back in to the cafeteria for an ice cream bar. Between all the physical therapy, occupational therapy, dressing changes, and wheelchair rides, I have been wearing him out which makes him sleep well at nighttime which is good. He gets quite a few naps in also during the days.

So many of you have asked how I am doing and I am good! Some days are rough but overall I try to keep a positive attitude and I keep telling Rod that we will get through this one day at a time!
The next surgery is scheduled for Monday then hopefully only one more after that.

I think spring has sprung here in Colorado but still can't wait to get home and see all the spring flowers & everyone back home in Billings.

Cindy

Thanks for the update Cindy. I am happy to know you are doing good. I totally understand you both wanting to get home. The longest I spent in the hospital at one time was five and a half weeks, home for a week and then back for another three and a half weeks. That time was in Colorado Springs, the other time was five and a half weeks at Mayo Clinic. My own bed sure felt good when I finally got home. Thankful for good hospitals and good doctors but I really prefer to be on a cruise or a nice resort for that amount of time.

I think spring has sprung here in Colorado but still can't wait to get home and see all the spring flowers & everyone back

Cindy

WOW I got tired just reading all that, but seriously sound like hings are moving right very welland smoothly! I'm sure you are home sick and would just love to get back to reality of life Again! As always God Bless you all and we keep praying that recovery stays on this good track!!!

Glad to know that things are still heading upward & onward. Cindy, hope you aren't wearing you out too much & you get some good rest too! :sleeping:

Thanks for the update Cindy. Come on Rod!

10th surgery

Tuesday morning, 4/30/13
Yesterday, Monday, 4/29/13, was Rod's 10th surgery. It was a 7 hour surgery and the doctor said it went well. They took his own skin off his back and grafted it onto his left leg front and back. They also regrafted his left derrierre and part of his right derrierre (they had previously done his derrierre and some of the grafts took and some of it didn't). He was in extreme pain after surgery until they got a pain drip started which took forever. Needless to say, he didn't sleep well at all last night. I stayed with him and he was nauseous for a couple of hours. I'm sure it is due to all the pain medications. He will be on complete bed rest for 5-7 days.

The next surgery is scheduled for Monday and they will finish grafting his right derrierre and do any followup grafting that hasn't attached properly.

Cindy

Well I guess the only good news is that things are getting close to being finished. Also the nausea can be coming from the Intense pain, I have nerve damage in left side of my face and I would wake up in pain everyday with face and feeling sick in the belly for 1/2 of the day! Glad that part went away! As always still sending prayers your way and God Bless you all!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Thanks Dan

Hang in there Rod, it sounds like you are getting close to being done. You and Cindy are in our thoughts and prayers.

Thanks for the update, Cindy. Hang in there Rod - keep that positive attitude and you will be out of there before you know it. Continuing to send you thoughts and prayers for a speedy recovery, Rod! :wave:

Next (and hopefully last) surgery

My FINAL (11th, but who's counting) surgery will be this coming Monday, May 6. How appropriate, the day my body shop starts getting demoed, my last surgery is scheduled. Anyhow, this surgery will be to finish up my derrière area and to address any other areas of concern. It shouldn't be near what surgery 10 was. Waking up after surgery 10, I Was in so much pain, I couldn't even move. After 2 hours in postop I was brought back to my room.in major pain. And then, later in the morning, MAJOR stomach pain. Then,I started having chest pain to boot. Man, did I.have a room full of doctors, nurses, etc, They pumped my stomach, did 2 EKG's, etc., etc., etc, I started feeling better, so I'm don't know what exactly they attributed all the problems to.

My FINAL (11th, but who's counting) surgery will be this coming Monday, May 6. How appropriate, the day my body shop starts getting demoed, my last surgery is scheduled. Anyhow, this surgery will be to finish up my derrière area and to address any other areas of concern. It shouldn't be near what surgery 10 was. Waking up after surgery 10, I Was in so much pain, I couldn't even move. After 2 hours in postop I was brought back to my room.in major pain. And then, later in the morning, MAJOR stomach pain. Then,I started having chest pain to boot. Man, did I.have a room full of doctors, nurses, etc, They pumped my stomach, did 2 EKG's, etc., etc., etc, I started feeling better, so I'm don't know what exactly they attributed all the problems to.

Rod
Just great to see that you are feeling much better now Rod! I'm sure you are hoping this last one gets done on Monday so you get HOMEWARD BOUND! I'd be stir crazy by now being stuck up in a hospital that long. Good luck on Monday wishing to best and God Bless you on your way out soon! :rocker:

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back
Top Bottom