Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

New Member in Pittsburgh

boilermaker

Seasoned Member
My XLR/V(s)
2009 Black/Tan XLR: 2008 STS V8 AWD: 2008 SRX Premium AWD
2007 Black/Tan XLR...9,100 miles
Jumped right in ...bought 18" 15 spoke chromed wheels from LA Wheel.
Installed Chrome grill from a Platinum edition XLR.
Clayed and waxed with "Rejex"
Awesome vehicle.
Sure beats my Black/Black 93 Allante.
Only drawback...I didn't get a key with the XLR and no key codes to be found in entire GM system.

Welcome to the fourm. Glad you found us. You are going to love it here. Someone will answer your technical questions just give them time. :wave:

Awesome vehicle.
Only drawback...I didn't get a key with the XLR and no key codes to be found in entire GM system.

Welcome to the group! You'll love your car.

I bought my '05 Black X over the summer from Philly. I didn't get a key either. I just went to my local dealer, gave them the VIN # (and proof of ownership) and they cut me a key right there. Shouln't be a problem for you to get a new key.

Awesome vehicle.

Welcome aboard... I hope you enjoy both your new toy and your time spent here. You should be able to get your key made from your VIN. Let me know if you have any problems.:wave:

Welcome theres a lot of info and fun and many many nice members.:wave:

Speedway;)

XLR key or no key..that is the question..whether it..

Thanks for all of the greetings.
Cadillac tech: I tried to get a key made but I was informed it can't be done. Now what ? Do I actually need one ?
Evidently , after numerous calls with a Cadillac service rep(in Argentina of all places) I was told GM has no record of a key code to match my VIN #. They even checked at Bowling Green and the original Cadillac dealer.
No record exist of a key code for my vehicle.
However they suggested installing a new lock cylinder, at a cost of $299 labor and $150 parts. What to do.
Any suggestions on where to go from here would be greatly appreciated.

Welcome! That is a stunning color combination. I would have Cadillac Tech help you get a key made.
Bruce

Welcome! Key is a must. Hope Cad Tech can help. Please post pics. I;d like to see the new wheelss.

XLR key

I sent Cadillac Tech my vin #, at his request, and he is going to see what he can do for me on Monday.
I know I have sinned...had the XLR over a month and no pictures yet !!!
Haven't even had the chance to drive it with the top down yet...crappy weather.
Lets see ..new wheels, new grill , I guess its a windscreen next., but I got all winter for that.

I sent Cadillac Tech my vin #, at his request, and he is going to see what he can do for me on Monday.
I know I have sinned...had the XLR over a month and no pictures yet !!!
Haven't even had the chance to drive it with the top down yet...crappy weather.
Lets see ..new wheels, new grill , I guess its a windscreen next., but I got all winter for that.

You are gonna love it with the top down! I just came back from a business trip in LA and was afraid to come back to the Chicago weather. Today, beautiful sunshine, mid 70's. Devin and I had a nice drive with the top down. Nice that I can "ease" back into the Chicagoland weather.

Good luck on your key issue, I'm sure Bruce can hook you up.

No luck

I checked today and got the same bad news. No key information. I sent you the info on the selling dealer in SC, the key info should be on the invoice for the car. It looks like you may have to replace the lock cylinder in the rear.

Wow! That's a real bummer! Why wouldn't Cadillac have info on every car they've produced? If Caddy dropped the ball they should give him the lock and key!

Floyd (BB)

key

Cadillac Tech
I can get a good price on a new lock cylinder.
Question: how difficult is it change the cylinder. I would have a local mechanic do it if it wasn't too involved. Do you have to remove the rear bumper cover or can it be accessed from underneath?

key

Floyd
You got me thinking.
Maybe I should post the Service Reps name and phone number and have everyone flood her with calls requesting that GM should step up to the plate!

A good locksmith could either remove the cylinder and replace the wafers, read the code direct from the original wafers or do "impressioning" (read marks on a blank} and hand generated a key from the blank. These methods are common ways to make a key from a cylinder without having to replace it.

XLR KEN :D

Cadillac Tech
I can get a good price on a new lock cylinder.
Question: how difficult is it change the cylinder. I would have a local mechanic do it if it wasn't too involved. Do you have to remove the rear bumper cover or can it be accessed from underneath?

The rear fascia/bumper cover needs to be removed first.

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back
Top Bottom