Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

Optima Battery

Cubby, I bought the PC1200MJT, unfortunately there is no way to use our bottom clamp as the case is smooth. You have to go to an auto parts store to get an "over the battery" clamp. Other than that all is fine. Best price was TNR Technical, Inc. here in Fl, and you won't even have to pay sales tax!

I installed an Odyssey 75/86-PC1230DT-A (Catalog # 0788-2035) in my 2005 XLR and used the bottom clamp as that unit has a recessed area for it.

I also know that there is some inconsistency in orientation of the positive and negative battery cables in the various years of XLR manufacture.

XLR%20Battery

Last edited:
I installed an Optima Yellowtop 8040-218 D35 No problems. Standard stock mount and terminal location. I'm very happy.

Can anyone explain the jump box when changeing battery and is it possible for us to reprogram the computers?

Can anyone explain the jump box when changeing battery and is it possible for us to reprogram the computers?

I've never been concerned with any kind of aux. power when changing batteries. Re-index the windows is all that is really needed if you work at an ordinary pace. A long term disconnect may require driver settings and radio stations to be re-done. I've never had to do it.

Some user functions a programmable thru the DIC. The PCM is changeable by using a high end system usually only had by tuners and relatively expensive for a car or two. It depends on what you are wanting to do. The roof can be re-taught using a TechII.

Me Too!!!

I installed an Optima Yellowtop 8040-218 D35 No problems. Standard stock mount and terminal location. I'm very happy.

Same here. Ten minute job to swap it on my '06, including hooking up the "Memory Saver" to the OBD port for use during the replacement.

:thumbsup

Tim

Same here. Ten minute job to swap it on my '06, including hooking up the "Memory Saver" to the OBD port for use during the replacement.

:thumbsup

Tim

Do you think the memory saver is really needed or just being careful? I've never had a problem without it. Window indexing is all I've ever need to do.

Anyone else think it's needed? :dunno: just curious.

Do you think the memory saver is really needed or just being careful? I've never had a problem without it. Window indexing is all I've ever need to do.

Anyone else think it's needed? :dunno: just curious.

Maybe it was just an abundance of caution, on my part, Phrede. I tend to be a "belt & suspenders" kind of guy. It's a symptom of the engineering background, I guess. I wanted to avoid a Saturday afternoon being dedicated to trying to remember radio stations, seat positions, option settings, etc. Better safe than sorry. :wave:

Anyway, it was an uneventful change-out, and the battery's as "Strong as Goat Dip", as they say in Texas. :laugh:

Tim

It all sound easy enough to do. But I wonder what other small things there are to think about before doing minor work. Thank goodness there is an XLR net

Any Idea what clamp you used. I tired one that looks like (Road Power 975 6.8-Inch Universal Cross Bar Battery hold down, Black - Bench Clamps - Amazon.com) With the clips in it is too deep (on rear of the battery) to fit into the engine compartment.

For the 2006 XLR the Odyssey PC1200MJT is recommended. This battery as some other individuals have stated is not as wide as our stock battery. It also doesn't have the lip to hold it down. I ordered the smaller 2004/2005 trey ([FONT=arial, sans-serif]10268430) only to find that it too was too wide. I also ran into issue with a battery hold down clamp as suggested above. [/FONT]

Unfortunately the clamp only fit front to back and the little winglets made it to large to fit in our engine compartment. Instead i bought a number of other alternatives off of amazon. I found that the adjustable length clamps did well because they allowed me to secure the battery from side to side. Ultimately i used Amazon.com: Cars Auto Part Black Silver Tone Metal Battery Hold Down Kit 3 in 1: Automotive as it seemed to fit the best. if left stock It fits with the L brackets on an angle in the least graceful install ever. However, ultimately I ended up drilling a small hole through the battery trey (on the left hand side) and sliding the L bracket through the hold. The other L bracket is secured to the bottom right side of the trey. This provided quite a tight hold that I am confident in (and looks way better). I ended up reinstalling the stock GM lip clamp to prevent front to back wiggling as well (not that it can but what else am i gonna do with it). Overall it is quite a strong install. Pictures available upon request. Thanks to those that helped!

For the 2006 XLR the Odyssey PC1200MJT is recommended. This battery as some other individuals have stated is not as wide as our stock battery. It also doesn't have the lip to hold it down. I ordered the smaller 2004/2005 trey (10268430) only to find that it too was too wide. I also ran into issue with a battery hold down clamp as suggested above.

<snip>

I don't know where the recommendation for the Odyssey for the '06 XLR originated [cite your source, as they say in Wikipedia], but I certainly have to challenge the flat assertion that it's the clear choice. Phrede's experience with the D35 Optima Yellowtop, and mine, both attest to the fact that the swap does NOT require any strange and unusual efforts to attach it. It goes right back where the stock one was on the '06 base XLR, without swapping trays, without getting special clamps from AutoZone, without drilling holes, without bending cables, without any jumping through hoops. Out with the old one; in with the new D35 Optima, and you're on your way. :thumbsup 10 minutes MAX, including the attachment of the Memory Saver.:blinzel:

Does someone happen to own stock in Odyssey, per chance??? It's not that they're not a great (read: expensive) battery, but why go through all the trials and tribulations? The Optima is also a great battery, and (if you haggle a little) you can get it at a reasonable price and just swap it. No strain; no pain. :dunno:

Just my 2¢ worth.

Tim</snip>

Last edited:
Many may prefer an Odyssey over an Optima for whatever reason from shape or specs. I have never missed having CCA or any other thing that Odyssey ads so strongly promote. It seems like the fitment problems discussed here would be enough to make me not want an Odyssey.

Does someone happen to own stock in Odyssey, per chance??? It's not that they're not a great (read: expensive) battery, but why go through all the trials and tribulations? The Optima is also a great battery, and (if you haggle a little) you can get it at a reasonable price and just swap it. No strain; no pain. :dunno:

The main reason I chose an Odyssey for Crimson Pearl was my previous experience with an Odyssey in my Harley-Davidson FXE-1200.

It has outperformed any battery that has been in there previously. It's been in there at least 10 years and has never failed to deliver.

I had to do some homework to find the right model, as information as to what works and fits our XLRs tends to be somewhat unreliable.

The Odyssey model # 75/86-PC1230DT-A fits in my 2005 without any problems at all.

Knowing how demanding our cars are on their batteries, I wanted the superior performance that I knew the Odyssey would deliver (as compared to a conventional battery).

I have no criticism of the Optima batteries, it's just that the Odyssey was a proven performer with me.

MVC-007F-2.jpg

Last edited:
The main reason I chose an Odyssey for Crimson Pearl was my previous experience with an Odyssey in my Harley-Davidson FXE-1200.

It has outperformed any battery that has been in there previously. It's been in there at least 10 years and has never failed to deliver.

I had to do some homework to find the right model, as information as to what works and fits our XLRs tends to be somewhat unreliable.

The Odyssey model # 75/86-PC1230DT-A fits in my 2005 without any problems at all.

Knowing how demanding our cars are on their batteries, I wanted the superior performance that I knew the Odyssey would deliver (as compared to a conventional battery).

I have no criticism of the Optima batteries, it's just that the Odyssey was a proven performer with me.

MVC-007F-2.jpg

Just curious, did you need any special mounts or mods? I noticed your terminal polarity is the reverse of mine.

The '04 & '05's had the positive terminal near the fender. It was changed on the '06 and up models. That's probably why the problems on the other Odyssey model mentioned.

Just curious, did you need any special mounts or mods? I noticed your terminal polarity is the reverse of mine.

Nothing special required. It just dropped in and the holding clamp fit right.

I have noticed that there is some inconsistency between model years concerning terminal orientation.

I did have to do some research to find the correct unit for my car, but that's often the case for our XLRs.

I don't know where the recommendation for the Odyssey for the '06 XLR originated [cite your source, as they say in Wikipedia], but I certainly have to challenge the flat assertion that it's the clear choice. Phrede's experience with the D35 Optima Yellowtop, and mine, both attest to the fact that the swap does NOT require any strange and unusual efforts to attach it. It goes right back where the stock one was on the '06 base XLR, without swapping trays, without getting special clamps from AutoZone, without drilling holes, without bending cables, without any jumping through hoops. Out with the old one; in with the new D35 Optima, and you're on your way. :thumbsup 10 minutes MAX, including the attachment of the Memory Saver.:blinzel:

Just my 2¢ worth.

Tim

Hey Tim,
You read that a tad out of context. The Odyssey isn't the clear choice for 06' XLR. Instead, the 06 and the 05 have different batteries that require different Odyssey battery types (hence the "For the 2006 XLR the Odyssey PC1200MJT is recommended."). That is recommend by the Odyssey site. Sorry for the confusion.

The '04 & '05's had the positive terminal near the fender. It was changed on the '06 and up models. That's probably why the problems on the other Odyssey model mentioned.

It would appear that if you own a 2006 or later XLR, the Optima might be the best fit.

However, if you own a 2004 or 2005, the Odyssey fits like a glove!

I have only the experience of owning ONE XLR, and it is a 2005. :D

I hope everyone's luck with Optima batteries is better than mine has been. I bought yellow tops for my trucks thinking they might be better than a conventional lead acid battery and have had all of them fail, most in 4-5 years which I guess isn't bad for a battery, but for what these cost I expected better. The last one I bought for my Allante' lasted about two months and then had a shorted cell. That one was replaced at no charge. In every case at least one cell shorts and the battery voltage drops down to 8 or 10 volts depending on the number of cells that short and then the battery will not take a charge. I just removed one yesterday that was purchased in November 2012 and it was down around 7.8 volts and would not take a charge. That one was in a truck that had been sitting for a few months with a battery minder connected to it. Out of warranty by three months! The Delco battery in my XLR was installed in 9/19/2006 and is still going.

Hey Tim,
You read that a tad out of context. The Odyssey isn't the clear choice for 06' XLR. Instead, the 06 and the 05 have different batteries that require different Odyssey battery types (hence the "For the 2006 XLR the Odyssey PC1200MJT is recommended."). That is recommend by the Odyssey site. Sorry for the confusion.

I guess the operative phrase is, "... by the Odyssey site". The original note hit me as a blanket (flat) assertion the the Odyssey was "an obvious, settled-science" choice, which was what I questioned. (I have problems with a lot of things where the term "settled science" is used.) Even so, there seem to be issues with the PC1200MJT on the '06 model, when it comes to fit (tray size, clamps, etc.). I don't know of any reason to challenge the Odyssey batteries, when it comes to performance. They're just pricey. :blinzel:

No worries. Thanks for the clarification. :thumbsup

Tim

odyssey size for the XLR is
04/05 34 PC1500
06/07/08/09 34R PC1500

dont follow the odyssey website.
read this
Odyssey Battery Install - 2008 C6 Coupe - Corvette Forum

several XLR owners here have followed the steps in this thread and it is 100% accurate.
i just did it 3 months ago and can attest to battery fitment being absolutely perfect.
no modification to cables, access to cabin filter unchanged. i will even say the original battery tray fit fine, no need to replace as the corvette thread advises.
but i had a new tray so i did it anyway. tray was only 13 bux.

optima or odyssey ??? thats personal preference. i like the fact that the odyssey ups the CCA significantly. alot more capacity.
and having recently researched optima for my prius, many people are saying optima batteries are now poor quality ever since the factory moved south of the border. i still bought an optima for the prius ( no other good options besides the dealer battery), and an odyssey for the XLR.
i will maintain both with a battery minder periodically. so we'll see which one dies first!

Last edited:

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back