Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

Paint wear mark on roof

Good to hear... just wondering, which shop did you take it to between the three?

I actually took it to the shop with the lowest quote. After doing research on all three shops, they were the best in terms of customer satisfaction, quality of work and catalog of "higher end" cars that they serviced. I was able to follow the progress of the work online and in real time. They had a real good mix of "old school" work ethic in a high tech work environment.

:cool:

I actually took it to the shop with the lowest quote. After doing research on all three shops, they were the best in terms of customer satisfaction, quality of work and catalog of "higher end" cars that they serviced. I was able to follow the progress of the work online and in real time. They had a real good mix of "old school" work ethic in a high tech work environment.

:cool:

Interesting... anyway, glad you're pleased with the work. After all, that is what matters.

My solution to avoid the paint chip

The paint scratch / chip is caused by a trunk lid metal piece (part of the lift hinge mechanism) when the roof is not 100% secure. I added felt pads into this location to avoid contact of the metal edge with the roof paint - see attached picture. The felt pads (self adhesive) are available at Home Depot or Lowes. Hope that will work for you too - at least to avoid any further damage...

GM has also come out with a replacement bolt that is a little shorter than than the original one.
The local dealership replaced mine a few months ago, they are aware of this problem.

Had my tech check for this while having the differential fluid changed this morning. He said the questionable spot on my top was a from a rock strike and that the top was in proper adjustment. However, I think I'll acquire some of the felt pads and cover the potential issue points for the sake of proactivity.

I think I'll acquire some of the felt pads and cover the potential issue points for the sake of proactivity.

Great idea ... I am going to do the same. Thanks for the info.

GM has also come out with a replacement bolt that is a little shorter than than the original one.
The local dealership replaced mine a few months ago, they are aware of this problem.
I also thought its the bolt. If you align the position of the paint nick you will see that it is the metal edge of the hinge piece (see white arrow on my pic) that touches the roof surface!

Just had mine fixed! But, it was on the trunk lid, there are 2 bolts on the right & left side that has a black rubber cone shape that is molded on to the end of the bolt so that when closed it seats into a hole the adjust lid, on mine the driver's side was missing just the rubber cone cone. The bolt was still there, they had to order the whole piece as one unit! Then adjust the bolt after installing it. ;)

Caddyman Dan

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back