Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

Show and tell

My other Toy!

What a beautiful car. If we ever get to your area, would you please give Bruce a ride in the car? That's always been his "dream" car; he has never changed his mind in the 27 years that we've been together!! :)

Kathy

Not near as many of these left around...

I picked this up on a rainy Wednesday night in November, 1974 (18 years old) and have managed her various states of disrepair/repair ever since. Completed a body off restoration in the mid-90's and enjoy her driver-status condition regularly. She's basically stock in appearance excepting the Cragars and Daytons, but has a mildly modified crate 350 with headers and a Muncie four-speed. She still turns my head!

I picked this up on a rainy Wednesday night in November, 1974 (18 years old) and have managed her various states of disrepair/repair ever since. Completed a body off restoration in the mid-90's and enjoy her driver-status condition regularly. She's basically stock in appearance excepting the Cragars and Daytons, but has a mildly modified crate 350 with headers and a Muncie four-speed. She still turns my head!

GORGEOUS car, Jeff!

Great looking '55. It's nice that you two have been together for so many years. Thanks for sharing.:wave:

My 1977 FXE-1200

I'm the type of person that clearly identifies what it is that he really wants, then works to acquire it. After that, I take very good care of it and keep it for a long time!

As a young man, I wanted a Harley-Davidson. I had a nice Honda 350 that I rode while I was in college, and for the first year I was out and working. I worked as much overtime as I could get, and saved my money at every opportunity. After about a year, I sold my Honda and laid specific plans to acquire my Harley.

I placed a deposit with my local dealer on 9/14/76 for a new Harley Davidson FXE-1200. I wanted it in white, which was not a standard color for 1977. That was the reason it had to be ordered. The agreement was that I would take delivery by 4/15/77. That was the date on which I had calculated that I would have the total amount of money in order to pay the balance in cash.

Things went a little better than I planned and I picked it up on 3/18/77. Here's a picture of me in front of the dealership the day I took delivery.

FXE-1200March181977.jpg

I've had the FXE for 34 years as of Friday, the week before last, 3/18/11. I took the afternoon off and went out for a little "anniversary" ride.

Here's a picture that I took that afternoon. This is at what is known here as "High Shoals". I think it looks pretty good to be 34 years old!

DSC00450.jpg

Great story...even better pictures. Thanks for sharing. Congrats on 34 years together.

Great pics, Ken. Glad to see you have taken such good care of it. It's hard to believe it's still running--that's one of the AMF years bike. You probably spent a fortune on oil and gaskets!!(A liitle dig on Harley, not you):lol::lol:

Been a Harley rider for over 28 years. Stiil the best American bike built, in my opinion!!:cool:

I'm the type of person that clearly identifies what it is that he really wants, then works to acquire it. After that, I take very good care of it and keep it for a long time!

As a young man, I wanted a Harley-Davidson. I had a nice Honda 350 that I rode while I was in college, and for the first year I was out and working. I worked as much overtime as I could get, and saved my money at every opportunity. After about a year, I sold my Honda and laid specific plans to acquire my Harley.

I placed a deposit with my local dealer on 9/14/76 for a new Harley Davidson FXE-1200. I wanted it in white, which was not a standard color for 1977. That was the reason it had to be ordered. The agreement was that I would take delivery by 4/15/77. That was the date on which I had calculated that I would have the total amount of money in order to pay the balance in cash.

Things went a little better than I planned and I picked it up on 3/18/77. Here's a picture of me in front of the dealership the day I took delivery.

FXE-1200March181977.jpg

I've had the FXE for 34 years as of Friday, the week before last, 3/18/11. I took the afternoon off and went out for a little "anniversary" ride.

Here's a picture that I took that afternoon. This is at what is known here as "High Shoals". I think it looks pretty good to be 34 years old!

DSC00450.jpg

Urban Legend

Great pics, Ken. Glad to see you have taken such good care of it. It's hard to believe it's still running--that's one of the AMF years bike. You probably spent a fortune on oil and gaskets!!(A liitle dig on Harley, not you):lol::lol:

Actually, I've never had the engine or transmission torn down nor have I spent very much $$ on repairs for the FXE. In the 34 years that I have owned it, I've only replaced the clutch once, the starter ring once and had the carburetor rebuilt once. Of course, there have been several sets of tires and a few chains and rear sprockets, as these are normal wear items.

I think the "bad reputation" of the AMF years has become "Urban Legend" with a lot more smoke than fire. It seems to have originated from the labor strike after AMF acquired the company in 1969 and streamlined production, which resulted in some reduction in personnel and a subsequent strike. The new safety regulations that required the change from a right side shift to a left side shift on the Sportster models resulted in some motorcycles that were less than smooth shifting.

It's probably rare to find a 77 model that is still as close to stock as mine is. Most have been highly modified or customized over the 34 year time period.

I hope to be able to continue to ride my FXE for quite a few more years. I know that it will outlast me!

I know a few friends that had nothing but problems with their AMF models; like you state the strike surely did help matters and I have heard stories; don't know how true they are; about deliberate sabotage in the early years of the takeover. I'm sure yours will 'outlast' you--hope you have someone to pass it on to. See you in a few weeks!!

Actually, I've never had the engine or transmission torn down nor have I spent very much $$ on repairs for the FXE. In the 34 years that I have owned it, I've only replaced the clutch once, the starter ring once and had the carburetor rebuilt once. Of course, there have been several sets of tires and a few chains and rear sprockets, as these are normal wear items.

I think the "bad reputation" of the AMF years has become "Urban Legend" with a lot more smoke than fire. It seems to have originated from the labor strike after AMF acquired the company in 1969 and streamlined production, which resulted in some reduction in personnel and a subsequent strike. The new safety regulations that required the change from a right side shift to a left side shift on the Sportster models resulted in some motorcycles that were less than smooth shifting.

It's probably rare to find a 77 model that is still as close to stock as mine is. Most have been highly modified or customized over the 34 year time period.

I hope to be able to continue to ride my FXE for quite a few more years. I know that it will outlast me!

Some of our Fleet!

Here are some of our other cars: you can't be a car collector with only one car......... Left to right, 1963 Chevrolet C-10 3 speed manual on the tree, low miles, original paint updated with chrome. 1968 Buick Special Deluxe, recently sold :ugh: 1965 Chevy Malibu wagon w/TPI engine. 1967 Corvette 350 4 speed car, this is the car we have owned the longest around 17 years, restored to mostly factory but used allot of stainless fastners to bug the purists (not really but it sure bugs the vet snobs) My 1992 Z28 convertible, I purchased it when it was 10 years old. Check out my profile albums for more pictures.

Here are some of our other cars: you can't be a car collector with only one car......... Left to right, 1963 Chevrolet C-10 3 speed manual on the tree, low miles, original paint updated with chrome. 1968 Buick Special Deluxe, recently sold :ugh: 1965 Chevy Malibu wagon w/TPI engine. 1967 Corvette 350 4 speed car, this is the car we have owned the longest around 17 years, restored to mostly factory but used allot of stainless fastners to bug the purists (not really but it sure bugs the vet snobs) My 1992 Z28 convertible, I purchased it when it was 10 years old. Check out my profile albums for more pictures.

NICE!!

What a GREAT toy collection!! I really like your Harley room. :rocker:

New Toy

Corndog was busy yesterday. On the way to Kroger, I figured I would stop by and tell the salesman at Lockhart Cadillac that this was not the best time for me to buy another car. So, I drove a couple, anyway; came home with a 2008 V6 SRX. My first trip? To Kroger.

SRX_02.jpg

SRX_03.jpg

SRX_05.jpg

SRX_04.jpg

Niiiiice ..... verrrrry nice ........ You will love it, I'm sure .... also nice to see the V in the garage ... ;)

Sweeet!

It looks great George! What a beautiful sight; two Cadillacs in the garage.:rocker: Can't wait to see it in person. You're going to have to quit going shopping...you bought your XLR-V on the way to purchase an outdoor grill.:lol:

Looks Great! We got our 2008 SRX last year and love it.

P1000931.jpg

That's a great looking car. I like it better than the new SRX! It has it's own personality instead of trying to look like the other crossovers. Similar design to the STS that Diane loves.

1989 Chevrolet S-10 Cameo Tahoe

I'm not one to trade cars very often, and I probably still own half of the personal vehicles that I have ever bought. I decided to take advantage of the cooler weather Sunday to hand-wash my small truck.

It's a 1989 Chevrolet S-10 Cameo Tahoe. Chevrolet only built 37 Cameo Tahoes in 1989. Perhaps a picture would better illustrate what a Cameo is.

DSC00616.jpg

It was originally to be the platform for the 4.3 litre turbocharged engine that was put into the GMC Syclone, but GM decided to let GMC develop it rather than Chevrolet. Chevrolet decided to go ahead and produce the truck with the standard engines and call it Cameo, a name last used in 1955, 1956 and 1957.

DSC00615.jpg

My truck is completely stock with the exception of the tires and the addition of a Belltech lowering kit for the rear axle. The original tires were Goodyear Eagle GT, which are no longer produced. The current replacement for the Eagle GT is the Eagle GTII, which is what I installed when it was time for replacements.

DSC00617.jpg

The truck came equipped with every option available, including A/C, P/S, P/B, Tilt, Cruise, High-back buckets, V6, 5-speed, AM Stereo/FM Stereo/Cassette with EQ, Sunroof and many others.

One of the coolest options is the Digital Dash Cluster, shown below.

DSC00618.jpg

The reason the "Check Engine" light is on is that the engine was not running when the picture was taken. You might notice that the truck has only 43K miles on it, pretty low to be 22 years old (less than 2k per year).

Thanks for letting me share this with you.

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back
Top Bottom