Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

Va. Beach/Outer Banks XLR Trip May 3-9, 2015

They have a car show later in the summer on the Va. Beach Boardwalk too, but I was aiming for "just us"! :wave:

Yeah I kinda figured that....... Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Dan & Wendy
"05 GRAND DADDY"

Would have been a nice shot. I'm sure we will have other nice places for group shots.

Couple of trip things - first, we are working on name badges. Please PM me with what "real name" (as opposed to just your forum user name) name you would like on badges for you and your spouse/significant other (if coming).

Also, both of our hotels are literally right on the beach. We've been working on planning a couple of events a day, which everyone can participate in or not as they wish, but the thought has crossed our minds that folks might want some scheduled "beach time" without missing out on any other fun. We'd like some input from you guys - would you prefer at least one afternoon (better temperature wise that time of year than morning) left open at each location just to play or relax on the beach? Or, to have something scheduled no matter what that you can opt out of as you wish?

Getting your bearings in NC

We went down to work on things for the trip yesterday. Basically, we will be working up & down Route 158 with the hotel in Kitty Hawk as our base. We'll be visiting some things in Corolla, Duck, & Manteo. These are little towns on Route 158 (actually, the whole area is beach houses with little towns thrown in). For shoppers, there are lots of quaint, local shops all over, some very high end. In fact, we know people who go down there from Tidewater/Hampton Roads just to shop. I think you can find out more about stores, etc. that you're interested in if you just "Google" these little towns, rather than me providing web links. It will be a very different experience from Va. Beach, which is much more built up & populated.

FYI, the Whalehead Club is off the list of places we might visit - it had a sign taped to the door saying "Closed until further notice." :confused: Nothing about that on the web site & I couldn't find any info on what's going on, which is unfortunate.

Actvities in NC are very outdoor based, to the point the movie theaters don't even open unless it rains. So we're working to have backup plans if the weather doesn't cooperate, & we'll just have to adapt & go with the flow if that happens!

There really aren't many hotels around, & ours is the tallest - & it's just 5 stories! There is a fishing pier right next to the hotel, open for you to go on 24/7. Maybe we can have a fishing tournament ... There's also a large patio near the pool with a fire pit & "beverages" available.

Can't wait to take out XLR's on the drive to Corolla - nice scenic road with just the right amount of curves & a 45 mph speed limit - which to me is just right for having the top down! :blinzel:

Last edited:
We have a few more folks added to the trip, so here's an updated list:

Cubby & Supa
Crimson Pearl (Ken & Alexis)
BobW & Gayle
Popbigguy (Chad & Rogene)
05 Grand Daddy (Dan & Wendy) (NC/Outer Banks only)
Chicago Dave (Dave & Cindy)
Harrisburg Hat
Nils & Elise
Fireduck69 (Bob & Marianne)
Cadillac Tech & Photo Girl (Bruce & Kathy)
Schooley (Steve) (NC/Outer Banks only)

If you're coming & are NOT on this list, please let me know!

Is anybody interested in visiting Jockey's Ridge? Tallest sand dune system in the eastern U.S., although a bit removed from any water. Let us know! Here's a link to some info: Jockey's Ridge State Park

last minute ...

We have a few more folks added to the trip, so here's an updated list:

Cubby & Supa
BobW & Gayle
Harrisburg Hat
Nils & Elise

If you're coming & are NOT on this list, please let me know!

Can you please add us to the list? (Hotel reservations confirmed)
Quinn & DD (Cathy and David)
-soooo excited!!! :jump:

Midwest Caravan

Looks like almost half the group will be caravanning in on Sunday. Watch for us on I-64!!

Cubby & Supa, popbigguy & Rogene, Nils & Elise, Chicago Dave, & Quinn & DD.

See you all soon!!:wave::wave:

Last edited:
Can you please add us to the list? (Hotel reservations confirmed)
Quinn & DD (Cathy and David)
-soooo excited!!! :jump:

We sure can - glad you were able to get the reservations! Mike & I will be glad to meet you.
Wow, this is getting to be a big :party

New list:

Cubby & Supa
BobW & Gayle
Harrisburg Hat
Nils & Elise
Quinn & DD (Cathy & David)

11 XLR's in Va., 13 in the Outer Banks (if we bring both of ours) - WOW! Better still are gonna be all the people in those XLR's! :cool:

Wanted to remind everybody if you want trip shirts/hats, the ordering deadline is in a couple of days. Pics & details are earlier in this thread. Shirts are $22.50 (2x/3x sizes are extra), hats $9.50.

To order call: All Star Embroidery @ 740-364-9212 and let Beth (Tim/Nerkpower's wife) know this is for the Va Beach trip. Specify men's or women's style for the shirts and size, plus let her know if you will be ordering a hat and how many. For payment, Beth will take credit cards over the phone.

Orders must be in by April 17th

The orders will all be processed and sent to Mike/me to arrive before May 2nd, so they will be waiting for you when you arrive in Va Beach (if you're only with us for the NC part we'll bring yours down with us).

Amy

IMPORTANT: Visiting Nauticus/Battleship Wisconsin

I am going to be emailing or PMing everyone on this trip about this, but I'm giving you a heads up here.

We can have our own personal group tour of the Wisconsin above & below decks for $32/person (this includes Nauticus museum admission too). Normal price is $36. The catch is we have to have 15 people committed to doing this, & I would have to pay for all in one shot by credit card. Much as I love you all, I can't afford to foot the bill for even one of you at that rate so I would collect in cash sometime after you arrive but before we go. No pay me = you no go as part of group.

Some other considerations are you need closed toe shoes for the tour and have to wear a hard hat inside the ship. There's lots of stair climbing & passages are small & narrow. As a teaser to you, we are going to be able to line our cars up & get a picture with the bow of the Wisconsin in the background before the tour (we won't be able to leave them there though & will have to park them elsewhere). Believe me, I checked it out today & that will be a great group picture.

Finally, we're looking at Tues. afternoon 5/5 for doing this. Because of the way traffic is here, we are planning to stay & eat dinner in downtown Norfolk without returning to the hotel first - otherwise we'll get caught in rush hour traffic & you DON'T want that! I know that eliminates "freshening up" before dinner but it's going to be the best way to go.

If we can't get the 15 people, we can obviously still visit but don't get any rate cut & have to catch on with whatever tour group is available.

Think it over & I'll be in touch.

We'd be thrilled to go!! Count us in!

Count us in

You guys just put us over the 15 limit - great to know you're coming on the tour!

Amy

Schedule shape up at the moment:

Sun., 5/3: welcome dinner at 7 pm at the Taphouse restaurant (in hotel). Park your cars on the 4th floor of the hotel garage, which is the same floor your rooms will be on. Spaces will be marked off with cones.

Mon., 5/4: Mariners Museum in the morning. Lunch at our dealership. Also, someone will be available at the dealership for detailing your cars - more on that later. Parking at the oceanfront is scarce so there was no way to set up detailing there (hotel said no on doing that in their lot). We're also checking out do it yourself car washes. If there's time, we'll go to the Aviation Museum in Virginia Beach in the afternoon; if not we might plug it in another day. Dinner at 5:30 at Tautog's at the beach.

Tues., 5/5: 1st thing in the morning, car photos in front of the Boardwalk (may switch this up depending on weather). Then, enjoy the beach & Boardwalk. Head to Doumar's (very classic drive-in) in Norfolk for lunch. Pictures of our cars in front of the Wisconsin at 1 pm. We'll have to park the cars in a parking garage, then head into Nauticus & check that out until our tour of the Wisconsin at 2:30 (FYI, more than 15 can go, we just needed at least 15). Still working on a couple of options for dinner in Norfolk, which will probably be about 5:30.

Wed., 5/6: Leave for the Outer Banks, NC, & eat lunch at Hurricane Moe's (we'll go straight there without stopping at the hotel so they have some extra time to get our rooms ready). Note, there is a $3.00 toll on the way down; if you have an "EZPass" you can use that. Enjoy the beach for the afternoon. Not sure we can set up a detailer down there but we did find a do it yourself car wash. Parking will be outside but we will have spaces marked off with cones. Dinner 7 pm at Bluewater Grill.

Thurs., 5/7: visit Corolla, can see the lighthouse, historic village, & it looks like the Whalehead Club is back in play. Working on finding the best wild horse tour provider (go to see them, not ride them!). Lunch in Corolla. Dinner at the Black Pelican, 7 pm.

Fri., 5/8: Morning, visit the NC Aquarium & Manteo. Then the Wright Bros. Memorial. Dinner at 7 pm at 1587 Restaurant in Manteo.

Sat.: Departure day.

Most of the things we are visiting have admission running from $10-14.00/person. Everyone is free to join anything on the schedule or not, no hard feelings either way. The schedule isn't written in stone & there will probably be some "plug & play" as we go. Feel free to explore on your own, but just remember Virginia Beach is very developed & busy so parking is tough & rush hour is to be avoided. We aren't planning scenic drives in Virginia Beach because you will be doing a LOT of driving in NC & all of it is pretty scenic. Everything in NC is pretty spread out, so some longer drives (& maybe some running back & forth) are just part of the deal.

Also, these are resort areas, so dinners etc. are going to be a little pricier than elsewhere. We tried to keep it as reasonable as possible while still going to decent places.

Heads up to anyone who might be coming via 264 & going through the "Downtown Tunnel" (not sure anyone would be doing this): it is tolled & it's electronic only (no attendants/no cash). While the charge is less than $2, if you don't use an EZPass they take a picture of your license plate & mail you a bill (+ some extra fees for not having an EZPass). They have had a LOT of problems with the "pay by plate" system, like sending you a bill with late fees even though they never sent you the first bill, so I recommend trying to avoid using it. None of our group trips will be going through there, so just avoid it coming in or leaving.

Whew! We're almost there!

Car detailing service for Virginia Beach

We have a fantastic dealer - Suttle GMC Cadillac in Newport News, Va - who has worked really hard to set up some nice things for us. They are providing lunch & have invited a TON of other owners, so hopefully we'll get some new members!

Suttle has arranged to have someone available to detail cars during our lunch on Mon., 5/4 (that way they'll look good for the Wisconsin pictures the next day
:thumbsup). They can do about 3 an hour, & we won't be on a tight schedule that afternoon so we can make it work for those who are interested. Charge is $35.00 for a hand wash, vacuum and dress tires, clean windows, etc.

Also, the detailer is offering a special for us of hand wash & detail including leather dying/blending (extra for hole repairs) & carpet dying to repair stains for $129 (usually $199). That does take a couple of hours to do. I also can give you pricing for wheel repairs, scratch fill ins, windshield chip repairs, & headlamp restoration if you're interested (although hopefully no one will need all that!).

Suttle says he does a great job; I don't use detailers but I am ridiculously anal about maintaining my car's appearance & Suttle knows that, so I trust their referral.

They would really like a "car count" of who wants to take advantage of this, so please let me know if you're interested, & whether you want the hand wash or the $129 full shebang.

For those of you who ordered shirts &/or hats, they have safely arrived & we plan to hand them out at the welcome dinner (thanks Nerkpowers/Tim & Beth for your work on them!). Dash plaques are also on the way - thanks Bob W for providing those!

You'll know where to park in the hotel garage on Sunday because we'll have these up :thumbsup:

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    108.3 KB · Views: 268
Have Fun!

I hope you guys have a wonderful trip out to VB! Sure wish we were joining you. Everyone stay safe & take plenty of pictures.:wave:

I hope you guys have a wonderful trip out to VB! Sure wish we were joining you. Everyone stay safe & take plenty of pictures.:wave:

Bruce, we will certainly miss you & Kathy! Thanks for your help & ideas over the course of planning this.

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back
Top Bottom