Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

Winter Storage vs Winter Driver

My story is the same as Marc's. I drive the XLR unless there is a good reason (like weather) not to drive it. HIGH MILES = MUCH HAPPINESS.
Some people buy cars to HAVE, this group buys them to DRIVE!
:rocker: Sometimes it's not about the money. :wave:

Did you know that in October the Professor had over 200K on his 2004? He uses his car (or did) for his accounting buisness travels that took him all over the southern USA - many, many times ....

Is there anyone else who has beaten that odom?

Is there anyone else who has beaten that odom?

I'm still a ways away (only at 155K) on my '05 XLR... but my DTX just kicked over 179K as well ... the miles don't stop in the winter (still need to get to work). So between the two of them - I'm over 330K. :chuckle

Was just wondering how many of us store their XLR's indoors for the winter months as opposed to those who drive theirs year around.

Of course this mainly applies to those who live in winter climates.

And if stored are they in warm storage or cold storage?
Stored in a dry, clean, but cold garage, uncovered, with a tender. I run it every couple of weeks and back it out of the garage. I would take it out if the roads were salt free, but they're not right now here in northeastern Ohio, so it will stay in until the salt's gone.

There are several XLR owners over seventy on this forum. It is a lot of fun to see reactions when you get out of the car with a cane and display your handicap hang card. I plan to keep right on driving "Little Bugger" and "Big Bertha" right up to the end. I have to renew my drivers license next month but I don't think that will be a problem.

As one of the several XLR "over-seventy" owners:sleeping::sleeping:I agree
it is fun to see the reactions to the handicap card hanging in the windshield:):):wave: I feel very lucky as it is my birthday today and I had a deep brain stimulation (DBS) operation on Tuesday and I am up and running today. Blooms

As one of the several XLR "over-seventy" owners:sleeping::sleeping:I agree
it is fun to see the reactions to the handicap card hanging in the windshield:):):wave: I feel very lucky as it is my birthday today and I had a deep brain stimulation (DBS) operation on Tuesday and I am up and running today. Blooms

Never heard of a deep brain stimulation... how is it done and what is it supposed to do??:dunno:

Half and half. Trixie sits in the garage unless it's over 40, sunny, and dry roads. I try to drive it any day I can. I believe driving as much as I can improves reliability.

I am in the sun room, drinking coffee, and watching the sun come up. Supposed to be 38 today. Close enough. Trixie will get to come out and play, for the first time in a week.

Decided it was time to just start up my XLR today - I had purchased a "trickle" charger to keep it fresh. Well, NOTHING... got the door open, but not enough to get anything out of the battery. Threw my battery charger on, still wouldn't start.
I talked to Cadillac Tech - he is thinking the battery went bad. I'm changing out the battery tomorrow - I think I'll just start it every two weeks - just to keep it going.
I don't like storing my car over this winter - I miss driving it. But spring will be here before we know it.

Hi Bruce, where underneath the vehicle do you place your Jack stands? I have to take my wheels off so that I can remount the tires on a set of chrome (stock) wheels I purchased... I purchased a low profile jack along with the aluminum inserts for lifting the XLR. I am just a little apprehensive about where to actually place the jack stands.
Thanks much!!

Hi Bruce, where underneath the vehicle do you place your Jack stands? I have to take my wheels off so that I can remount the tires on a set of chrome (stock) wheels I purchased... I purchased a low profile jack along with the aluminum inserts for lifting the XLR. I am just a little apprehensive about where to actually place the jack stands.
Thanks much!!

I would use your low profile jack & place it under the front cradle & lift the front end. Place the jack stands under the front lower control arms out close to the wheels. Use the same jack & place it under the rear cradle & lift the rear of the car. Place the jack stands under the rear lower control arms out close to the wheels.:)

Never heard of a deep brain stimulation... how is it done and what is it supposed to do??:dunno:

Deep Brain Stimulation (DBS) is a therapy for chronic tremor diseases like Parkinsons, Dystonia, or Essential Tremor that do not respond to drug treatments or the patient has become resistant to or intolerant of the drugs. It can also be used to treat chronic pain in some cases. A pacemaker type device is emplanted under the skin in the upper chest, electrodes are threaded up the neck and along the scalp, small holes are drilled in the skull and the electrodes are placed in the brain where the tremors are originating. When the pacemaker is turned on the signal interfers or cancels out the tremor signal to the muscles and normal motion is restored. It works very similar to 'noise cancelling' headphones for hearing only this is electrical signals directly into the brain. It is quite remarkable technology and patients usually have very dramatic and positive results with the therapy :cool:.

To get back on topic. I drive any day it is not snowing or icy, which this winter has been many days here in MN.

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back
Top Bottom