Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

XM Radio display issues

Bruce W

My XLR/V(s)
Crimson Pearl 2005 XLR (current),1988,1989 and 1993 Allante (departed)
I need advice from members who have newer XLR's than my 2005. I just discovered that my XM radio should display the channel header information in the HUD the same as my FM and AM sections do. All it shows is XM1 or XM2 and that's it. So I know that part of the radio/interface is not working correctly, but I am interested in the radio display itself as well. The 1-6 buttons never change, even when you memorize an XM station to the button. This is unlike AM or FM, where the button changes to show the memorized station information. The upper radio display shows the header information but the button stays 1-6. Do the later models actually allow the button to change to the station header data so you know what channel is memorized to each button?
I asked my dealer and they of course are clueless. I haven't pushed hard enough to speak with one of the two certified XLR technicians yet. I'm hoping this forum can provide me the information I need.

On my 2009 the XM buttons just read 1 thru 6: this is bloody stupid. Considering all the work that went into making this car as great as it is, GM really dropped the ball on this one.

Personally I think everything about my XLR is fabulous except for the Nav/Audio controll system. I would investigate replacing it except that everything I read here on the forum tells me that there are many other systems running thru the Nav/Audio so in doing that I create other problems.

If anyone understands more about what is routed thru the Nav/Audio system I sure would like them to speak up here! Maybe a swap can be done!

You can thank Denso for the Nav/Audio system in the XLR and GM for not being forward thinking enough to demand some technology upgrades over the production period. The only thing that was added was Bluetooth and a few additional buttons on the steering wheel. Otherwise the software remained the same, most of which was probably written in 2000-2001. I wonder what would have happened if Apple had tried that with the I-phone!

Our NAV/audio is old technology and should have been upgraded over the model years. XM1 gives you up to 6 presets and XM2 gives you another 6, for a total of 12 presets as we all already know.

Could our system be swapped out for one of the newer GM systems that have a better interface and hard drive capability?
:cool:

I agree with Graytoad.

The Infotainment GUI looks like someone bribed a pre-school class with edible paste to come up with the design before their first nap break. And with no way to update it without an army of fourteen year-old computer hackers, we're pretty much stuck with it. I'd upgrade in a second if there was a 100% compatible entertainment system available.

CCC :pat:

Perhaps we should go after Denso :bash: (whoever they are) and see if they make a more modern system for another car that will fit and interface correctly?

I need advice from members who have newer XLR's than my 2005. I just discovered that my XM radio should display the channel header information in the HUD the same as my FM and AM sections do. All it shows is XM1 or XM2 and that's it. So I know that part of the radio/interface is not working correctly, but I am interested in the radio display itself as well. The 1-6 buttons never change, even when you memorize an XM station to the button. This is unlike AM or FM, where the button changes to show the memorized station information. The upper radio display shows the header information but the button stays 1-6. Do the later models actually allow the button to change to the station header data so you know what channel is memorized to each button?
I asked my dealer and they of course are clueless. I haven't pushed hard enough to speak with one of the two certified XLR technicians yet. I'm hoping this forum can provide me the information I need.

My HUD displays the new XM channel number and channel label, ie. Classic Rewind, whenever a new channel is selected. The touch screen never displays anything but P1, P2 etc.

My HUD displays the new XM channel number and channel label, ie. Classic Rewind, whenever a new channel is selected. The touch screen never displays anything but P1, P2 etc.

In the upper left hand corner of the actual radio screen you will see song info as the song changes, if you push the "info" button you can re-display the song info.

:cool:

My HUD just displays "XM1" or "XM2" - even when the station is changed... must have been an upgrade to the HUD part from 2005 to 2008... I usually just press the INFO button if I want to know the song or artist.

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back
Top Bottom