Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

Gulf Trip Planning

standby-V

Seasoned Member
My XLR/V(s)
2004 Lt. Platinum & 2006 Lt. Platinum XLR-V
Gulf Trip to Corpus Christi

GULF TRIP (trip planners are Standby & xlr05 with input from all)
We thank all members for their support and help with their input.

Hand outs will be available on Thursday Morning at breakfast for the Gulf Trip at the Hampton Inn or after breakfast at the line up of cars. We will check and make sure everyone has a hand out.

This trip is pretty much set in stone at this time. Ideas are always accepted but must be very small changes at this time and no one will be fired. This is not the Donald Trump reality show, but a fun time for everyone or my name isn't Bobo the Clown.

Cars should be gassed up & lined up behind my Light Platinum with Texas Flag and the blue bunny on my dash at the Hampton Inn, mainly because the Hilton has a fee for parking in their parking lot.

Hampton Inn for a quickie breakfast between 6:00 & 7:00, and assuming everyone is in the breakfast area, I can give hand outs and give a quick address to everyone with my stage voice as to how to stay together, and get a show of hands for the Texas State Aquarium, which is right next to the USS Lexington with the flight Simulator.
We leave at 7:30 sharp which should get us to the Lexington by 10 am which is the time they open for business.
The latest news is: Bringing any cars onboard takes months of preperation at a cost of $5,000 dollars. Needless to say, we will just be touring the ship and seeing an I-Max movie all for a group price of $11.95 each. This will surely help everything to be more on time and comfortable.
http://usslexington.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=3&Itemid=4
Below is a picture of Lexington and location. I will have pictures and directions for hand outs of Corpus Christi area including the ship and our choice for lunch which is Doc's seafood & Steakhouse which was recommended very highly by the Texas Travel Bureau.
http://maps.google.com/maps?t=h&q=2....815413,-97.391138&spn=0.005124,0.021715&z=16

http://www.texasstateaquarium.org/

I should warn you that the aquarium will take more time because they usually have shows.

(Doc's Seafood & Steaks) See review below, will be our lunch location.
http://www.docsseafoodandsteaks

Lunch @ 1:00 with Photo Opt wherever Photo Girl agrees would make a good shot.
We should all be able to gas up and leave by 2:30 to get back by 5:00 pm. (give or take a half hour) time for the ladies to prep for the Blue Bunny meeting.
I'm a very aggressive driver as others will attest too, but I have learned to accommodate and will be doing the speed limit because we will attract attention and this should keep everyone together. We will be making one stop for, munchies, beverages or water, relieve some water, AKA sand box. We suggest everyone put the Lexington and Doc's addresses in their Nav systems and if possible send me a PM with your cell phone and I shall return a PM with mine and Dales.

We tightened up the schedule so we wouldn't be going from one event to another without a chance to clean up and take a deep breath.......Haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!
Then we can all relax at the Blue Bunny event.
:bar00: Agenda (click on link) Rendezvous-Agenda
Please check back here often for minor changes. This trip is pretty much set in stone at this time

Don't know about anybody else... but I'm glad you decided to "take charge" for this drive. It's GREAT to have one person in "charge" of each event in the rendevous...

The flight deck of the Lexington would make a good place for a group photo.

I would suggest everyone check out the websites listed above to see if either of them are something they would be interested in doing. The whole idea of this trip is for everyone to have a good time and enjoy themselves.

Bruce :)

Bruce,
I would agree. Intentions in the beginning was to do a nice drive to the Gulf coast and lunch. We have to be careful not to use up too much time and not get back for Professors BBB meeting.
There doesn't seem to be many more options to do at CC unless others have a suggestion.
Aquariums are nice but there's only one USS Lexington, but that will be everyones choice.
The fees are for the lexington are $13.95 and $11.95 for seniors.
Dale is trying to get a group rate. I would ask Photo Girl to do her magic but she probably is figuring on doing that anyway since you guys are coming too.
Any advise is welcomed:blinzel:
PS The cars are diven on the lower deck and put on an elevator to get to the flight deck. Heck, put me in the catapult and let her rip.

I would suggest everyone check out the websites listed above to see if either of them are something they would be interested in doing. The whole idea of this trip is for everyone to have a good time and enjoy themselves.

You are correct...Photo Girl is already looking for places to have lunch and there is only one USS Lexington.

Thanks for all of your help with the planning.

Bruce :patriot:

Dale just came up with one under the JFK bridge which has a great menu.
Cathy, I know your working hard on this but I think Dale has found a great spot, called Doc's Seafood and Steaks. Everyone please check out this URL below. We have added this to the Gulf Trip agenda.
You are correct...Photo Girl is already looking for places to have lunch and there is only one USS Lexington.

Thanks for all of your help with the planning.

Thanks Rod,
I'm having a difficult time choosing a good place for lunch, it seems that most reviews for places in CC are just OK to bad, including the Mexican Restaurant Blackbeard's.
I have found another called Snoopies on the beach which has a menu more liking to everyones taste and has one of the best ratings in CC. Maybe I could make you my first Lt. and see what you can google for lunch.

I'm not on the computer over the weekends much at all (too much during the week). Doc's sound like a GREAT place for lunch... the menu is superb, not to mention the prices being quite reasonable!! I could be your first Lt., just let me know what you would like me to do. I will PM you my cell phone #... it's probably the best way to get ahold of me, as I check the forum rather sporadically during the day.

Dale just came up with one under the JFK bridge which has a great menu.
Cathy, I know your working hard on this but I think Dale has found a great spot, called Doc's Seafood and Steaks. Everyone please check out this URL below. If I get enough good responses, I would like to add this to the Gulf Trip agenda.

Fantastic selection right on the water. The Menu will be pleasing to everyone because there are so many different entries and the prices are good. Thanks for all the hard work you put into this.:rocker:

Speedway

Fred

I know I am a newbee but I would like to suggest to you changing days with Saturday that way we will not be strapped for time to get back for the Professors Blue Bunny event. Right now were in the planning stages. I read where people will not want to travel the day before you leave but it really isnt that long of a run. The idea of a group picture on the Lexington would sure look nice on our site and in our memories.

Speedway

Fred

I know I am a newbee but I would like to suggest to you changing days with Saturday that way we will not be strapped for time to get back for the Professors Blue Bunny event. Right now were in the planning stages. I read where people will not want to travel the day before you leave but it really isnt that long of a run. The idea of a group picture on the Lexington would sure look nice on our site and in our memories.

Speedway

Fred

That's not a bad idea. What does everyone else think? Some of the people won't be in SA in time to go to CC. There would be less people to deal with if we go on Thursday. It's not that far of a drive from SA, so it could work out for Saturday.

Bruce :D

Speedway

Fred

Personally, either day would be fine. Our Midwest group will be arriving Tuesday afternoon, so it isn't a big deal for us. We're coming in early because there is so much to see & do, and I want to see and do it ALL! :)

Speedway does bring up some good points. Having enough time to return for the Professor's event...(you all know how long it can take some women to get ready!) :laugh::laugh: The trip from San Antonio to Corpus Christi is roughly 150 miles (a little over 2 hours)...a walk in the park compared to everyone's trip home!!:lol: And yes, a group photo with the USS Lexington:patriot:

What a fun time we will all have!!:party

I contacted the visitor center at the USS Lexington. I had them check attendance numbers form last years Memorial Day weekend to compare the number of visitors from Thursday to Saturday. Last year on Thursday they had 420 people and on Saturday they over 2000 people.

There is a option of lifting the XLRs on to the flight deck. :rocker:
This would be available on Thursday, the option is not available on Saturday due to the number of visitors.

I could check on this if there is interest for it I think that it is somewhat costly. In September they have a large group of Vettes being placed on the fight deck. They call the group Vettes and Jets, how cool is that! :rocker:

Also, I will schedule group rates for us for what ever day we decide to go.

A little side note the Aquarium and the USS Lexington basically share the same parking lot.

I contacted the visitor center at the USS Lexington. I had them check attendance numbers form last years Memorial Day weekend to compare the number of visitors from Thursday to Saturday. Last year on Thursday they had 420 people and on Saturday they over 2000 people.

This would be available on Thursday, the option is not available on Saturday due to the number of visitors.

I could check on this if there is interest for it I think that it is somewhat costly. In September they have a large group of Vettes being placed on the fight deck. They call the group Vettes and Jets, how cool is that! :rocker:

A little side note the Aquarium and the USS Lexington basically share the same parking lot.
XLR's on the flight deck of the USS Lexington... that would be SOOO COOL, not to mention a once in a lifetime photo op!!! It wouldn't hurt to find out the cost of lifting the cars onto the deck... then we could decide from there. As far as Thursday vs. Saturday... it really doesn't matter to us, as we'll be coming in on Wednesday with the group meeting in Las Cruces.

Thanks for checking into this for all of us.:worship:
WOW, how cool would it be to have our babies up on the flight deck.:rocker: I hope that we can do that. It looks like Thursday might be the better day for our visit.

If you can get that to happen that would be awsome. That would be nice having the cars on the flight deck. Just my .02. :worship:

Ah ah! The worm as turned. Both choices have value but being a short drive and my plan of coming back by PM would give everyone a chance to chill at the bar or get out the make up kit.

Cubby............you'll probably need the make up kit.
I for one choose Thursday with our cars on the deck of an aircraft carrier regardless of the price. I found out they use an elevator to do this. I as well as Dale are waiting for the Market Director to call back with a price on the vehicles and I'm going to guess around a hundred a car.
Thanks for checking into this for all of us.:worship:
WOW, how cool would it be to have our babies up on the flight deck.:rocker: I hope that we can do that. It looks like Thursday might be the better day for our visit.

Bobo,

Doesn't matter to me which day, but I'm up for having the cars on the flight deck--once in a lifetime opportunity;);)

As far as getting back in time to relax for Professor's; if everyone meets me in the bar, they can drink enough to make me better looking--no need for the make up kit:laugh::laugh::laugh:

Ah ah! The worm as turned. Both choices have value but being a short drive and my plan of coming back by PM would give everyone a chance to chill at the bar or get out the make up kit.

Cubby............you'll probably need the make up kit.
I for one choose Thursday with our cars on the deck of an aircraft carrier regardless of the price. I found out they use an elevator to do this. I as well as Dale are waiting for the Market Director to call back with a price on the vehicles and I'm going to guess around a hundred a car.

I say we go on Thursday. Like mtrocket said, 'a once in a lifetime photo op'. (I better not forget the camera!!) :lol:

Kathy

I will definitely check on putting the X's on the flight deck. The person in charge is in and out of the office for the next couple of days. Give me a few days and I'll let you know what I find out!!
The Vettes and Jets group are putting about 300 Vettes on deck. :rocker:

Also, yesterday I made reservations at Doc's restaurant for a room for Thursday at 12:00. We will have a full menu with separate billing and of course there will be a 18% group gratuity added to your bill. The room that I have has a occupancy rating of 60 people so there should be plenty of room. I have been talking to the Convention and Visitors Bureau and they recommended Doc's as a good restaurant before I mentioned that we were going there.
Doc's have a large paved parking lot, so parking should not be any problem. She said that Saturday could also be a option for them, but of course they have more business on Saturday. The reataurant is located on the water so they do have a lot more boaters there on the weekends.
If this trip is changed to Saturday I must let them know so we don't lose the option of the room.

This is going to be a great trip!!!!!! :patriot: :cool:

I agree on Thursday if we can have the cars on the flight deck this would be way KOOL and it sounds as if they will be hammered on Saturday.:willy_nilly:

Speedway

Fred

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry