Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

Daily Chat

Here is the TSB #15643-- with special coverage.

http://www.revbase.com/BBBMotor/TSb/DownloadPdf?id=198455

You can just send me the $820.00 Ha-Ha!

Last edited:
Hawkeye, since your car is the twin of mine, the “free” repair has probably expired. That said, I would still push on your dealer for what they call “good will” repair help, which are free/reduced repair costs that Cadillac ends up reimbursing the dealer for (I know this existed before current Cadillac president Johan but I don’t know if he backs that anymore). The argument would be this is a known problem to Cadillac & they should take care of it for free (1st approach) or at a reduced price (second approach). I always found it cute that Cadillac sent out the TSB with 10 year coverage at a time when the ten years was pretty much up for most owners. :(

If the above works, maybe you can split the $820 with me & Cubby!

Hawkeye, since your car is the twin of mine, the “free” repair has probably expired. That said, I would still push on your dealer for what they call “good will” repair help, which are free/reduced repair costs that Cadillac ends up reimbursing the dealer for (I know this existed before current Cadillac president Johan but I don’t know if he backs that anymore). The argument would be this is a known problem to Cadillac & they should take care of it for free (1st approach) or at a reduced price (second approach). I always found it cute that Cadillac sent out the TSB with 10 year coverage at a time when the ten years was pretty much up for most owners. :(

If the above works, maybe you can split the $820 with me & Cubby!

Thanks, After you forwarded me this info i looked in my paperwork about this. I found the article that i printed off with t he diagram and everything.

I have a call in to my service advisor about this. I'm waiting on a call back. I hope its still covered thats what i'm praying for. I'll let you know whatever i find out.

Well I talked to my service advisor and he said he also looked into this before calling my aftermarket warranty and myself. After he told me my aftermarket warranty was up through Zurich. So I tried and my service advisor said they are working on it, but probably won’t be til Monday when I get it back. Oh well I have other things I can do to keep me busy on this cold Florida weekend. [emoji85]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well I talked to my service advisor and he said he also looked into this before calling my aftermarket warranty and myself. After he told me my aftermarket warranty was up through Zurich. So I tried and my service advisor said they are working on it, but probably won’t be til Monday when I get it back. Oh well I have other things I can do to keep me busy on this cold Florida weekend. [emoji85]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Well a couple things I found out today. On a good not I picked up my xlr today. 2nd I was asking through my dealers financial department if I could renew or rebook a extended warranty. The person loonies on his computer and cane to a point where he said my car is to old and didn’t find anything. So now I’m feeling the pinch. Well at least he tried. I’m now going to look into searching foe extended warrenties. I asked grandaddy here and he gave me a name on who he used. But I’ll takw as many suggestions as I can right now.

XTS - the car Cadillac loves to hate?

All I’ve read for a number of years is how soon Cadillac is dropping the XTS, it was really never meant to be but was the only new thing ready to go after the bankruptcy, it doesn’t fit in their lineup, etc.

Now I know Cadillac is truly dazed & confused because today we got a fancy, cellophane wrapped booklet with lots of pictures - but actually almost no substance, despite the cover page - promoting the redesigned XTS. 14 pages, maybe one page total of text of advertising fluff (focusing on its roomy & pretty), the rest pictures.

Of all the cars I thought they’d promote, this wasn’t even on my list. Surprise!

Attachments

• EA2B80EF-BFD4-44DA-979F-682CC262377C.jpg
    EA2B80EF-BFD4-44DA-979F-682CC262377C.jpg
    98.4 KB · Views: 219
  • 0580B70B-5A46-4431-9FFA-AD55F87E73E8.jpg
    0580B70B-5A46-4431-9FFA-AD55F87E73E8.jpg
    101.8 KB · Views: 217
Mystery vehicle

Great a good one for you. I go to renew my registration. I think I’m doing everything alright. Before I go to put on my registration sticker though. I look at the card. It says my vin number and everything but it lists this as a 4 door. So I’m going to take a pic of my vin number and also take the car down to the motor vehicle place to get this 6 year confusion that I just noticed and hopefully get it straightened out. This is probably the reason why BG couldn’t find my car when I asked for a replica window sticker. Mistirious

Last edited:
Greed a good one for you. I go to renew my registration. I think I’m doing everything alright. Before I go to put on my registration sticker though. I look at the card. It says my vin number and everything but it lists this as a 4 door. So I’m going to take a pic of my vin number and also take the car down to the motor vehicle place to get this 6 year confusion that I just noticed and hopefully get it straightened out. This is probably the reason why BG couldn’t find my car when I asked for a replica window sticker. Mistirious

ok mystery solved. I would’ve had this done earlier. (Last week when I noticed the mistake) But since the vehicle is titled under my moms name, I had to wait fo my mom to get around to it. Seems like 2 mystery’s were solved today. First off the registration of having this as a 4 door instead of a 2 door convertible and 2nd found out it was titled this way all the way back in 2005 as a lease.
so now it’s titled the right way and hopefully now I can finally contact BG to see about the replica window stucker

got a reply back from BG

this is what she said

We did not receive all the Cadillac XLR Build sheets from the plant. They kept them somewhere in the plant. . When they came to us they were just thrown in boxes etc. We received all year’s production in these boxes 2004-2009. It is possible yours was thrown away or just didn’t make it to the boxes.

Last edited:
Well I took the car to the dealership today. I just was going to get this XM/radio worked on and my service guy asked if I wanted to do my oil change also. He looked and figured it’s been about 5 k since my last oil change. So I said go ahead and do it. Then while my service tech was doing this he said my front shocks are shot. He also said that after searching on the computer. The computer only showed a couple left in stock for that part number. He gave the paperwork to my service manager who then took me into the service bay where I could see and have my tech guy explain more about the radio. So after he showed me the shocks. He mentioned to me that since these are 10 year old vehicles and he had a hard time finding the shocks. Btw he did see some evidence of wear starting to show on the back ones too. But not as bad as front. He also said these parts are becoming scarce and who knows if and when the back ones need replacement they might not be available anymore or what kind of replacement parts will work. So after a while of talking we both agreed to replace all 4 shocks at this time. So parts are ordered and hopefully they will be overnighted so I can have the car back home for the weekend.

Oh the joy of owning a classic and hard to find replacement parts. I think my car over hears my thoughts about what vehicle I will be replacing this one with. Now she’s saying “Please don’t throw me away”. I keep saying I’ll keep her as long as I can unless something desperately goes wrong.

Ok bit the bullet now. With the radio reception and oil change and 4 new shocks. The total was just under 4,400.00. new shocks were $816.00 each Yes I could’ve probably waited on the rears but just like the tech said. These cars of ours are 10 years old and getting the 2 rears when they need to be replaced later could be impossible because of availability. Even if they are remanufactered. The shocks for these cars are already high dollar. He even said he could see some wear starting. But the fronts were the worse. So I just made the disision to replace all 4 at the same time. The parts were overnighted from 2 different locations. And the fronts were already at the dealership when they opened and the backs were shortly behind the other shipment So I feel better having them all done now and know the parts were in. instead of doing the fronts then waiting to do the rears later and risking the parts being discontinued or having them have bad secondary parts later and not being the correct size. So this year has started out to be a heavy major expense for these 1st 2 months of the year. ��. But well worth it In the long run. ���� No more major problems for the next couple months atleast.

Last edited:
Sounds like my year too,

Got my XLR in May, had local dealer search for shocks; installed all 4 of them 2 weeks apart. 4 new tires; support struts for drooping trunk lid, added a Bluetooth for the radio, new floormats, spend some serious money! But I sure enjoy driving the car and getting lots of looks and can’t wait for warm weather to return to this part of the world!

Ok but the bullet now. With the radio reception and oil change and 4 new shocks. The total was just under 4,400.00. new shocks were $816.00 each Yes I could’ve probably waited on the rears but just like the tech said. These cars of ours are 10 years old and getting the 2 rears when they need to be replaced later could be impossible because of availability. Even if they are remanufactered. The shocks for these cars are already high dollar. He even said he could see some wear starting. But the fronts were the worse. So I just made the disision to replace all 4 at the same time. The parts were overnighted from 2 different locations. And the fronts were already at the dealership when they opened and the backs were shortly behind the other shipment So I feel better having them all done now and know the parts were in. instead of doing the fronts then waiting to do the rears later and risking the parts being discontinued or having them have bad secondary parts later and not being the correct size. So this year has started out to be a heavy major expense for these 1st 2 months of the year. 😓. But well worth it In the long run. 🙏🏼 No more major problems for the next couple months atleast.

Went for a topdown drive today. The weather was nice (finally) tomorrow a line of showers will pass through. So I had to drop off some car show fliers to area stores. One was auto zone and the other two were convenient stores. Today also starts the high pollen count. So by the time I got back home, the car had attracted some yellow spots. Here is the car at a fishing Pier and then again at my place in north Florida.
98E7F850-E59C-4983-9497-5CDBCBA91A5B.jpg833CDD9A-1C90-4DB3-9C79-6CDED4DD6E6D.jpg

Attachments

• 8BBC6F49-AC2F-47F0-B25E-A20D8E51CBC7.jpg
    8BBC6F49-AC2F-47F0-B25E-A20D8E51CBC7.jpg
    102.7 KB · Views: 323
  • 0674A18B-F716-4780-80FA-1B90E83E8CD0.jpg
    0674A18B-F716-4780-80FA-1B90E83E8CD0.jpg
    103 KB · Views: 319
  • E8A2A041-49CE-4EBD-B0B3-5C35DBF2B177.jpg
    E8A2A041-49CE-4EBD-B0B3-5C35DBF2B177.jpg
    101 KB · Views: 315
Look what's sitting in my driveway!

Too bad it's just for tonight. :(

CT6 AWD. Rear-wheel steeering. All the goodies.

I have one of my vehicles into the dealer for some service and THIS is what I got for a loaner.

It pays to have friends at the dealership! :thumbsup

Too bad it has to go back!

Attachments

• DSC02412.jpg
    DSC02412.jpg
    122.9 KB · Views: 329
  • DSC02413.jpg
    DSC02413.jpg
    125.7 KB · Views: 336
While filing up at a local gas station a guy coming out of the daily’s/subway station saw my ride. He walked over and said he has a blue 05 that was at his house in his garage. I thought he said his interior was black but not sure. So I asked him if he knew of this forum. He said he heard something about a group but wasn’t sure. So I handed him my card with this website on it. He said he would look into it. He had his hands full with subway so I couldn’t shake his hand. But he said he had to get back to deliver his wife’s subway meal. Hope he registers here.

Smog Test

Yesterday was a good day for me in the California desert. I had been having problems with my engine light coming on and I replaced the gas cap and started filling the gas up to the one half to three quarter level and not topping it up. I bought a tool to turn the code off. Well yesterday was D day and my car passed with flying colors. Now I am in good shape for another two years.
John F.

Crimson Pearl at Elgin

Crimson Pearl was in attendance at the Cars 2 Dreams show in Elgin, SC. This was a fundraiser for the Shriner's Hospital in Greenville, SC held on March 10, 2018.

Several other members of the Carolinas Cadillac-LaSalle Club were there as well.

Attachments

• XLR at Elgin.jpg
    XLR at Elgin.jpg
    124.1 KB · Views: 289
Chevron Techron BOGO deal

Until April 2, 2018, AutoZone has Chevron Techron Fuel System Cleaner on sale Buy 1 Get 1 free.

This is the same product that was sold under the AC Delco label. This product is proven to prevent and sometimes correct fuel gauge sender problems that can occur with our XLRs.

NAPA had a good sale on this product some time back and I stocked up then, but I also picked up some more this week with the BOGO deal.

At my local store, they honored the deal on both the 12 oz. and 20 oz. size.

Well what else could go wrong. The other day I was packing my trunk up for a car show on sat. Then as I closed it I forgot to pack one last thing. But then the trunk wouldn’t open. So I took it into the dealer and had them look at it. I also asked if they could reapply the side liner carpet. They did that told me it was a bent bar that hit the switch for the trunk to register open, so the top could go down. Well today I am looking around and spot cleaning the car and noticed this
C6D187D7-243E-41D3-A927-B4B8EBCCB543.jpg
The drivers side headlight washer grommet is missing. I’m going to call my service guy tomorrow to see if it turns up. But was wondering how much these are. I looked on GM parts direct. But don’t really know the actual part name.

Well what else could go wrong. The other day I was packing my trunk up for a car show on sat. Then as I closed it I forgot to pack one last thing. But then the trunk wouldn’t open. So I took it into the dealer and had them look at it. I also asked if they could reapply the side liner carpet. They did that told me it was a bent bar that hit the switch for the trunk to register open, so the top could go down. Well today I am looking around and spot cleaning the car and noticed this
View attachment 7948
The drivers side headlight washer grommet is missing. I’m going to call my service guy tomorrow to see if it turns up. But was wondering how much these are. I looked on GM parts direct. But don’t really know the actual part name.

I replaced one of mine and it's cheap. Don't let the dealer sell you a whole new kit.
John F.

Other options!

Yes, you don’t need the dealers help. These are cheap from many sources, I got a pair on eBay.:cool:

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back
Top Bottom