Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

Driver door not opening

False alarm... again I can't open the driver's door from the outside, but the passenger side works fine, as does everything else. The battery checks out fine. Guess I'll just have to deal with opening the passenger door or reaching in and pushing the driver's door inside latch button until I get to Colorado Springs on the SA trip. Will let you know in SA what was found out...

Carry some jumper cables until you can get it fixed. Sounds like you are having the same problem I had in my Vette, only so far it sounds like the problem is not putting a constant drain on your battery or you are driving it often enough to keep the battery charged up. My Vette did the same until it sat for a few days with the problem and it finally killed the battery. Good luck!

This first started after sitting all winter with a float charger on it. Nothing else seems to be a problem. I won't be driving it this week at all, going to be 35 and snow most of the week, so will probably know for sure about the battery next week when I try it (I'm won't put the charger on it). I am soooo tired of this on again, off again winter we've been having!!!

:wave: Greetings Rod!

I got to thinking about your door lock problem and wondered if there might be another way to check it out symptom-wise. Since the Driver Door Module is a good candidate, you might want to check the LED operation of the driver's door which is controlled by that module. The switches (which you've already checked) change the door lock/unlock status to the module. Each module provides a display of that status through the LEDs.

---When the door is closed, there are two short flashes each second if the door is unlocked. When the closed door is locked, the LED displays one long flash for three seconds.

---When the door is open and unlocked, the LED displays short continuous flashes during a one-second period. If the open door is locked, the LED remains illuminated.

If your driver's side LED isn't displaying the correct status, the DDM is highly suspect.

(We're pounding multiple shots of winter in WA also. . . ) :(

CC

thanks, cc.
The light on the driver's door doesn't do anything, no blinks, no nothing. In the service manual, I show the location of the DDM behind the trim panel, but my computer repair software doesn't show it. Do you have a part # for the DDM? If the part is not too expensive, I will probably just replace it and hopefully that will take care of the problem. If not, I can still have Red Noland Cadillac in Colorado Springs take care of it on our way to SA...

I hope your going to call Nolan to make sure they have these things on hand. With no light showing, I would think that Bruce would have a good idea as to what part you need.
Don't worry, if you run out of money we will buy the drinks for you and yours.
thanks, cc.
The light on the driver's door doesn't do anything, no blinks, no nothing. In the service manual, I show the location of the DDM behind the trim panel, but my computer repair software doesn't show it. Do you have a part # for the DDM? If the part is not too expensive, I will probably just replace it and hopefully that will take care of the problem. If not, I can still have Red Noland Cadillac in Colorado Springs take care of it on our way to SA...

Rod,

With no LED lit, Bruce can narrow the cause down further. The best nomenclature I can come up with for the DDM from gmpartsdirect is the window regulator (which includes the window motor.) In one of my XLR supplemental tech manuals, it has a decent picture of the DDM, (the DDM has the window motor attached as part of the assemby) but the part number in the pic is too fuzzy for me to pass it on with any degree of reliability; it looks like: 992124-100. I ran the number with various combinations and nothing of note came up. The left side window regulator goes for $259.43.

We really need to pool our knowledge resources and build a FAQ with part numbers for re-occuring failures. As these cars age, and invariably fail, forums like this will have plenty of information. I've been collecting some as I go. Much, much more will be needed.

Keep me posted as to what fixes this, okay? The LED not working could be a good symptom for this module failing. Does the left side window index properly?

CC :wave:

Left window indexes just fine. I'm thinking that if Nolan doesn't have the parts, they could at least tell me what the porblem is, and I can take care of it when I get back home. I'm also not able to get the left window adjusted properly... it doesn't want to go up into the top channel; it hits about in the middle of the guide. I've played with it quite a bit... I have the bolt at the bottom of the door all the way to the outside to tilt he window in as much as possible, but still hits the guide and won't go into the channel. When I get out, I have to push the top of the window in slightly to get it to go into the channel... I'll probably have Nolan look at this while there also

Rod,
It sounds like your window is not indexed. With your car running run the window all the way down and hold the switch in that position for about five seconds; then run the window all the way up holding the switch in that position for five seconds. When you are done turn off the vehicle and exit the car. The window should side down enough to get past the weatherstrip. Shut the door and you should then see the window go back up into the weatherstrip.

Left window indexes just fine. I'm thinking that if Nolan doesn't have the parts, they could at least tell me what the porblem is, and I can take care of it when I get back home. I'm also not able to get the left window adjusted properly... it doesn't want to go up into the top channel; it hits about in the middle of the guide. I've played with it quite a bit... I have the bolt at the bottom of the door all the way to the outside to tilt he window in as much as possible, but still hits the guide and won't go into the channel. When I get out, I have to push the top of the window in slightly to get it to go into the channel... I'll probably have Nolan look at this while there also

Rod,
It sounds like your window is not indexed. With your car running run the window all the way down and hold the switch in that position for about five seconds; then run the window all the way up holding the switch in that position for five seconds. When you are done turn off the vehicle and exit the car. The window should side down enough to get past the weatherstrip. Shut the door and you should then see the window go back up into the weatherstrip.

OK... I re-indexed the window, but it still won't go up into the channel. Seems like the window has to be tilted in at the top slightly.
Well, knock on wood... for the past few days, the driver's door has been opening again from the outside. The led still doesn't light up at all on the door, but I can get in from the outside. Wonder for how long tho??? Hopefully, it again won't work when I get to Nolan so they can check it for me... I hate this intermittent problems!!!

I would think this has something to do with the accident before you made the car whole again.:wave:
OK... I re-indexed the window, but it still won't go up into the channel. Seems like the window has to be tilted in at the top slightly.
Well, knock on wood... for the past few days, the driver's door has been opening again from the outside. The led still doesn't light up at all on the door, but I can get in from the outside. Wonder for how long tho??? Hopefully, it again won't work when I get to Nolan so they can check it for me... I hate this intermittent problems!!!

I would think this has something to do with the accident before you made the car whole again.:wave:

It had been working just fine most of last year... it just started doing this about the last month of driving it before winter storage. Wierd stuff, huh???

OK now this is getting wierd... In the morning, after the car has been sitting all night, the door opens just fine. But after I've driven it, I can't get in using the outside button... have to get in the passenger side and use the interior button to open the driver's door.

Rod, was anyone killed in the accident of your car, cause it might be a ghost.:laugh:

Not that I'm aware of... if I do have a resident ghost, I was rather hoping he (or she) would be happy I saved the car from the scrap pile, but maybe the ghost is thinking "if I can't have it, it will cost the new owner dearly???":dunno:

Guess I'll deal with the minor glitches until I get to Colorado Springs...

Just thought I'd post an update... the driver's door finally quit opening from both outside & inside... replaced the driver's door window regulator, which has the DDR built into it. Although after replacement, I couldn't figure out why the window wouldn't operate fully up... was operating it with the door open. I operated it once fully up & down with the door closed and now everything works like new. Noland Cadillac told me this needed to be replaced and sometime the door will quit opening at all... the only thing is, the tech told me the DDM would have to be reprogrammed; I did no reprogramming whatsoever - just installed and everything works.

Just thought I'd post an update... the driver's door finally quit opening from both outside & inside... replaced the driver's door window regulator, which has the DDR built into it. Although after replacement, I couldn't figure out why the window wouldn't operate fully up... was operating it with the door open. I operated it once fully up & down with the door closed and now everything works like new. Noland Cadillac told me this needed to be replaced and sometime the door will quit opening at all... the only thing is, the tech told me the DDM would have to be reprogrammed; I did no reprogramming whatsoever - just installed and everything works.

Happy to hear you got the problem fixed and all is well now. :wave::wave::wave:

Driver's side door

So I noticed yesterday that my driver side door was acting funky. Well today it locked me out, was glad I got home without kicking in the side of the car! I swapped out the pressure pad form the passenger side and still no go.

I can hear the striker trying to do something. Is this a problem with the striker inside the body or the window regulator in the door?

As an update from a few years ago............I put a full Corsa exhaust on my car and it has an ok sound. But it was prone to backfiring under hard acceleration from 1st to 2nd and sometimes 2nd to 3rd. I've lived with this for maybe 2 years. I wanted to put an intake kit on it but was disappointed that Volant said it wouldn't work on my 08.
After looking and reading I decided to buy one anyway. I figured if it threw a code I would just take it off and throw it in the trash.
I ended up cutting a good 4 inches off the end of the Volant plastic y and mounting it directly to the Mass Air Sensor. So it's all stock from the sensor back, retaining the OE air plenum.
What I noticed right away was no lean mis-fire between gears! The car now pulls clean to redline with no embarrassing pops between gears. And it has a nice intake growl to go with the exhaust tone. Something that I've wanted since I put the exhaust on.

I had to replace driver door actuator last fall, only manual door release would open the door. Dealer had the part, about $300 to fix.

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back
Top Bottom