Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

Driver door not opening

mtrocket

Seasoned Member
My XLR/V(s)
2007 Red Jewel XLR
I went to start the X after sitting the winter months... driver's door would not open from the outside, but would from the inside. When I push the door handle switch to open from the outside, I hear clicking, so I believe the switch is making contact, but just won't operate the lock. Passenger door opens from both inside and outside. Anybody have any ideas? Maybe order and replace the door handle switch?

Check your battery .... that's how I found out last week that mine was dead (dying) doors wouldn't open ..... and how's your fob batteries???

You didn't mention if the car would start or all DIC lights went nuts and started reading out codes. If so, get a new battery like Ruthie said.
This should be an easy fix with all the work you have done on this car.
I went to start the X after sitting the winter months... driver's door would not open from the outside, but would from the inside. When I push the door handle switch to open from the outside, I hear clicking, so I believe the switch is making contact, but just won't operate the lock. Passenger door opens from both inside and outside. Anybody have any ideas? Maybe order and replace the door handle switch?

Battery checks fine and car started right up, once I got in. DIC lights were normal. Everything seems to be fine except being unable to get in from the outside using driver's door. Haven't checked the fob batteries... they are probably the originals, but with everything else working fine... just rather baffling. Guess I'll start with the fob batteries.

If your holding the fob in the same hand as your trying to open the door with, it won't open the door. Mine will not open if I have the fob in the same hand as I try to squeeze the handle. It's too close.
Battery checks fine and car started right up, once I got in. DIC lights were normal. Everything seems to be fine except being unable to get in from the outside using driver's door. Haven't checked the fob batteries... they are probably the originals, but with everything else working fine... just rather baffling. Guess I'll start with the fob batteries.

Went and checked... doesn't matter where I have the fob. I can have the fob in the same hand when I open the passenger door and the door opens fine. Also, when I try to open the driver's door, the red "lock" light on the passenger door blinks. But when I open the passenger door, the driver's door light stays off.

On the corvette side, some have had problems with the door switch. A couple of screws and it come out. Have you tried a different fob. I doubt the battery in the fob would be dead in 2 years.

doesn't matter which fob... think I'll order a switch... only $14.00
will let you know what happens...

If your holding the fob in the same hand as your trying to open the door with, it won't open the door. Mine will not open if I have the fob in the same hand as I try to squeeze the handle. It's too close.

Bobo: You can actually leave the fob in your pockets now -left or right, front or back; it doesn't matter, then approach the car and press the switch and voilla -the door unlocks! No need to unlock the door with a fob in your hand anymore. It's like magic or somethin. Try it, you'll like it! (Honestly, I couldn't resist this one!!)

Smart cars are cool.

ccc :chuckle

doesn't matter which fob... think I'll order a switch... only $14.00
will let you know what happens...

Try using the touch pad from the passenger side. Just unscrew it and plug it in on the driver's side.

Bruce :wave:

Yea, I just click my keys on my belt loop and walk up to the car and open the door. My daughter walks up to the other side and the car has already recongnized my fob and she can open the door before I open mine. Someone asked me one day, "don't you lock your car?" I walked away from the car, let the car reset the alarm and then asked the person to open the door. He was amazed he couldn't get in, then I walked up and said, now try it and it opened. His remark was, "and they are stopping production of this wonderful car?"
Bobo: You can actually leave the fob in your pockets now -left or right, front or back; it doesn't matter, then approach the car and press the switch and voilla -the door unlocks! No need to unlock the door with a fob in your hand anymore. It's like magic or somethin. Try it, you'll like it! (Honestly, I couldn't resist this one!!)

Smart cars are cool.

ccc :chuckle

OK here's the deal... I can have the fob in my pocket and get in the passenger side, but not the driver's. But, if I press the "unlock" on the fob, I can get in the driver's side just fine. Ideas, anyone?

It sounds like the switch is working properly but not recognizing the fob in your pocket. Maybe the wire(s) for the antenna are broken or fell off their mounting spot?

thanks... where is the antenna located?

According to my information, the antenna for the drivers side is located behind the "cutout" area of the body, where your hand is when you push the button to open the door. It is NOT in the drivers door. You have to take a number of pieces of trim off to access it.

It appears to be a small unit with a 2 wire connector.

Antenna Replacement - Ignition Lock Key Transmitter - Right

<A href="http://127.0.0.1:9001/servlets/BlobShtml?ShtmlFile=1327935&evc=sm&pubid=423&cellId=119630&mspsdsubkey=2942#ss1-1327935">Removal Procedure

1. <LI type=1>Remove the right lock pillar trim. Refer to Trim Replacement - Lock Pillar in Interior Trim. <LI type=1>Remove the rear window trim panel. Refer to Trim Panel Replacement - Rear Window Panel in Interior Trim. <LI type=1>Disconnect the antenna wire lead from the antenna.
    TifToGif

2. Pull on the antenna to disengage the antenna from the retaining bracket .
<A href="http://127.0.0.1:9001/servlets/BlobShtml?ShtmlFile=1327935&evc=sm&pubid=423&cellId=119630&mspsdsubkey=2942#ss2-1327935">Installation Procedure

1. TifToGif

<LI type=1>Push on the antenna to engage the antenna to the retaining bracket . <LI type=1>Connect the antenna wire lead to the antenna. <LI type=1>Install the rear window trim panel. Refer to Trim Panel Replacement - Rear Window Panel in Interior Trim.
  2. Install the right lock pillar trim. Refer to Trim Replacement - Lock Pillar in Interior Trim

Don't know if this helps, but I just solved pretty much the same problem in my Vette. I was unable to get into my drivers door, but could get into the passenger side. I hit the release latch and climbed in the car and it started up. The problem went away for about a week or so and all of a sudden I could not get into any of my doors. The battery had died... Took it in and they found that the communications module inside the drivers door went bad and drained the battery. The mechanic replaced the module and put in a new battery and the problem was solved.

I'd have to chime in and agree that the DDM (Driver Door Module) is a good candidate to scope out for this problem. Let us know what fixes it so those of us with bets can either collect or pay up. Passive antennas are a lot more reliable than modules.

CC :wave:

False alarm... again I can't open the driver's door from the outside, but the passenger side works fine, as does everything else. The battery checks out fine. Guess I'll just have to deal with opening the passenger door or reaching in and pushing the driver's door inside latch button until I get to Colorado Springs on the SA trip. Will let you know in SA what was found out...

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back
Top Bottom