Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

Kenwood DNX893S in the XLR

DNX893S

Thanks guys. This is a lot of good information. I wish you and yours the best thanksgiving ever!

Good report on installation of Kenwood DNX893S in 2005 XLR

Following Rexter's lead, and others, after finding the right master audio-tech installer at a Best Buy in Kingsport TN, (on rec of my dealer's service mgr who told me this guy was "the man" in these parts for anything car audio installation), I took the plunge and could not be happier with the result.
Mine is a 2005 XLR and the gear my guy used that resulted in all systems "go" (except heads up display for radio info---heads up for mph etc still work), was as follows:
the unit, a Kenwood DNX893S
GMOS-06
ASWC 1 Steering wheel control
GM FWD Ant adapter 85-13
SiriusXM SXV300v1 tuner kit

I think the installer did a couple custom connections to make everything work. Did not need the PAC TR 7 trigger.
Have the use of all the advanced audio controls on the new radio. Steering wheel controls work great.
Only lost the onstar which I never used after free script ran out. Two usb plugs are in center console. Sat antenna in upper right corner of windshield, nearly invisible from outside; can't see from inside.
Looks outstanding, with some custom trim he installed. Will try and post photos later. Could not be happier.
Total cost of everything: $1550.

Last edited:
Did you get a backup camera to go along with it?
One of the USB plugs is strictly for an iPhone/Pod playback. The other is for other USB uses.
Have you got Android or Apple Car Play going? It's an excellent feature.

Following Rexter's lead, and others, after finding the right master audio-tech installer at a Best Buy in Kingsport TN, (on rec of my dealer's service mgr who told me this guy was "the man" in these parts for anything car audio installation), I took the plunge and could not be happier with the result.
Mine is a 2005 XLR and the gear my guy used that resulted in all systems "go" (except heads up display for radio info---heads up for mph etc still work), was as follows:
the unit, a Kenwood DNX893S
GMOS-06
ASWC 1 Steering wheel control
GM FWD Ant adapter 85-13
SiriusXM SXV300v1 tuner kit

I think the installer did a couple custom connections to make everything work. Did not need the PAC TR 7 trigger.
Have the use of all the advanced audio controls on the new radio. Steering wheel controls work great.
Only lost the onstar which I never used after free script ran out. Two usb plugs are in center console. Sat antenna in upper right corner of windshield, nearly invisible from outside; can't see from inside.
Looks outstanding, with some custom trim he installed. Will try and post photos later. Could not be happier.
Total cost of everything: $1550.

wow, sounds eezy peezy. Makes me want to upgrade too! :cool:

Rexster:
Did not get a backup camera, but understand there are two ports that can be used for cameras if I decide to add one or two. Have an Iphone 6 but I actually use an Ipod touch for music. Have not used it yet but intend to this week as I havent driven the car in several days due to holiday company.
Appreciate all the info you provided.

The key is getting someone to install it that is a true car audio master installer. My guy had never done an XLR and I think he enjoyed the challenge in figuring it all out. It took him prolly 7-8 hours over two days to get it all done to his satisfaction. Will try to post pics this week if I can figure out how to upload them on this site.

The unit looks great installed.

Rexster:
Did not get a backup camera, but understand there are two ports that can be used for cameras if I decide to add one or two. Have an Iphone 6 but I actually use an Ipod touch for music. Have not used it yet but intend to this week as I havent driven the car in several days due to holiday company.
Appreciate all the info you provided.

The key is getting someone to install it that is a true car audio master installer. My guy had never done an XLR and I think he enjoyed the challenge in figuring it all out. It took him prolly 7-8 hours over two days to get it all done to his satisfaction. Will try to post pics this week if I can figure out how to upload them on this site.

The unit looks great installed.

Yes, there are 2 inputs for front and back cameras. The Kenwood is an awesome head unit isn't it? I kept OnStar since I get an insurance discount. If you get the backup camera, you'll wonder how you did without it.

which back up camera did you go with?

Im just starting to explore all the things the Kenwood has to offer. It is such an upgrade over the OEM unit in so many ways!

Thanks again!

I don't remember the exact model #, but it is a Kenwood camera. Beautiful image and color rendition

I wanted to update this thread a little. I've attached the wiring instructions for the speakers that had to be done to get the sound out. Thanks to 64rdc19 I've taken his pictures and combined them into one image.

With the information already here, and with this addition, this should be a definitive answer to how to replace and upgrade the sound system in our X cars.

completed wiring diagram.jpg

Finished installing Kenwood!

Thanks to everyone on here with the great info I just finished my Kenwood radio install. I was over thinking when looking at the schematics and just wired up with parts and info on here. Everything works great! I did have to drill a few mounting holes on the cage and also called metra access to program buttons on steering wheel controls. Make sure you don't use wire taps for the steering or it will not detect...too much resistance on wire. I also removed cigarette lighter and put a USB adapter in its place. Android carplay is awesome! Sounds great but can't turn up too loud because it's way more powerful than OEM and speakers distort.
I did post a few more wire schematics if it will help anyone. Thank to everyone on here for the awesome info.

Thanks to everyone on here with the great info I just finished my Kenwood radio install. I was over thinking when looking at the schematics and just wired up with parts and info on here. Everything works great! I did have to drill a few mounting holes on the cage and also called metra access to program buttons on steering wheel controls. Make sure you don't use wire taps for the steering or it will not detect...too much resistance on wire. I also removed cigarette lighter and put a USB adapter in its place. Android carplay is awesome! Sounds great but can't turn up too loud because it's way more powerful than OEM and speakers distort.
I did post a few more wire schematics if it will help anyone. Thank to everyone on here for the awesome info.

Glad it's working! I do believe if it's like my truck radio I installed, you are to have your volume source of listening (phone, iPod, tablet or whatever your using) if you didn't have you should have the volume button all the way up....... if not you don't get the full benefit of your sound! It's trying to amplify the low volume and distorts the sound. Just something I had a issue with I figured out that was the problem!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Glad it's working! I do believe if it's like my truck radio I installed, you are to have your volume source of listening (phone, iPod, tablet or whatever your using) if you didn't have you should have the volume button all the way up....... if not you don't get the full benefit of your sound! It's trying to amplify the low volume and distorts the sound. Just something I had a issue with I figured out that was the problem!

You are correct if you're using bluetooth. If you're using Android Auto or Apple Car Play, it won't make any difference about the music source's volume as it's through a USB connection and you won't have access to the volume button on the phone.
With a little tinkering with the Kenwood equalizer it will blow you out of the seat if you crank it up, especially from the seat back speakers. Those things remind me of wearing headphones and listening to Steppenwolf back in the day

You are correct if you're using bluetooth. If you're using Android Auto or Apple Car Play, it won't make any difference about the music source's volume as it's through a USB connection and you won't have access to the volume button on the phone.
With a little tinkering with the Kenwood equalizer it will blow you out of the seat if you crank it up, especially from the seat back speakers. Those things remind me of wearing headphones and listening to Steppenwolf back in the day

I don't know why but on mine.... on FM radio only..... I get a distorted noise, if I move the volume sound off the back seat speakers it sounds ok. I've also noticed not using the Spacious sound option effect it's not as bad! It even does it on local station. Has anyone else notice this too? It's done it every since I owned her, kind of sounds like a weak signal station sort of like static interference distortion. I know there's not much of an FM antenna, just a wire running through the trunk lid, but since even on strong local station it does I don't believe it that .

Have you tried to turn the "gain" down on the gmos

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Have you tried to turn the "gain" down on the gmos

Please explain how to do that, I'm not sure what you mean by turn the gain down where would you do that from on a original head unit that came with the XLR TY!

Your right the original isn't adjustable, confusion on my part I thought the conversation was about an aftermarket install with a GMOS-06 that is adjustable

Your right the original isn't adjustable, confusion on my part I thought the conversation was about an aftermarket install with a GMOS-06 that is adjustable

Ok thx anyway.... it was a good thought[emoji1303]

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry