Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

Local Car Shows

I took mine to a local Corvette Club sponsored car show - non judged - and pretty much found the same thing. The Corvette owners hardly looked at my XLR... one even said something about "thanks for bringing your 'other' car here". The Corvette Club did however said they would make an "exception" and "let" me join their Corvette Club. I'm still waiting for the info they said I would get in the mail... and this was a couple months ago. Glad I didn't hold my breath waiting...

Actually, I had better luck on that end -- the members of the Corvette club that sponsored the show could not have been nicer. Very welcoming from the moment I came through the gate, loved the car and talked to me quite a bit, wished me luck and invited me to a show they have in April. I had a great time with them and the Corvette owners parked near me. It was the judge who seemed to be a hole, and not from a donut either. I found it amusing that he told me I should have a photo album of mods when he didn't even look at the info that I did put together, and the GT 500 had nothing like that at all, album or otherwise.

Lesson learned: stick with you guys who know, love, and appreciate the car! And also my dealer, who not only told me I had the paint looking better than when they delivered it, but was hunting down the former owner - who was at the dealership at the same time the painted calipers were being put on - to show him just how much we had done with it. These are special cars that I think take special people to appreciate them.

Lesson learned: stick with you guys who know, love, and appreciate the car! And also my dealer, who not only told me I had the paint looking better than when they delivered it, but was hunting down the former owner - who was at the dealership at the same time the painted calipers were being put on - to show him just how much we had done with it. These are special cars that I think take special people to appreciate them.

WELL SAID!!!

I really think envy is a big part of the "attitude".

It is my understanding that there is a fair amount of discontent between owners of different "generations" of Corvettes.

I took mine to a local Corvette Club sponsored car show - non judged - and pretty much found the same thing. The Corvette owners hardly looked at my XLR... one even said something about "thanks for bringing your 'other' car here". The Corvette Club did however said they would make an "exception" and "let" me join their Corvette Club. I'm still waiting for the info they said I would get in the mail... and this was a couple months ago. Glad I didn't hold my breath waiting...

Take you car to a convenience store sometime when you see a vette in there and see which car the people stare, point at, and ask about!! I can answer that rhetorical question :cool:

Car Shows

Sent in my registration today for "Little Bugger" to be in "Our Lady of Joy" car show, October 13th from 9:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m., There are several different classes, he will be in Domestic Sports Modern.

Good luck Robert. I have had good luck here with the XLR and it usually takes a first place or runner up in its class in most shows that I have entered.

On a positive note from my recent show experience, I reluctantly (because I didn't want to seem like just some whiny loser) contacted the Corvette club that hosted the show & asked questions. Mike encouraged me to do it, since this was the first formally judged show I've been in & I didn't know if part of the car "failed" (like my dusty engine compartment), meant that the rest wasn't even bothered with. They have been very responsive & apologetic, told me things weren't supposed to work that way, & are looking into it. WAY more than I expected to happen. There's really nothing to be done about it - all I wanted was the entire car looked at for my time & trouble, which is pointless now - but the club is really stand up to even bother (especially when it involves the "red headed stepchild" XLR). And I have always liked Corvettes & still do - just the XLR takes first place in my heart!

Good luck Robert. I have had good luck here with the XLR and it usually takes a first place or runner up in its class in most shows that I have entered.

Entered a show at the Budwiser facility in Fairfield, CA...looks like fun...even if I don't place...just fun explaining to folks what this strange car that they have never seen before is...

I reluctantly didn't want to seem like just some whiny loser. Mike encouraged me to do it, since this was the first formally judged show I've been in & I didn't know if part of the car "failed" (like my dusty engine compartment), meant that the rest wasn't even bothered with. - all I wanted was the entire car looked at for my time & trouble, especially when it involves the "red headed XLR [that] takes first place in my heart!

I can not believe your engine has ever seen dust.... Your engine paint job is just that spectacular! Since you were not at Carmel I thought Kathy might have had a chance to win the "People's Choice.". However, it would have been very hard for me to vote against your red headed XLR if we had both been there... You get first place in my view even though it's one of those slow red ones....

Steve

I can not believe your engine has ever seen dust.... Your engine paint job is just that spectacular! Since you were not at Carmel I thought Kathy might have had a chance to win the "People's Choice.". However, it would have been very hard for me to vote against your red headed XLR if we had both been there... You get first place in my view even though it's one of those slow looking red ones....

Steve

Well, I wouldn't try to take on Kathy, that's for sure!

And the slow appearance of my red XLR helps me avoid tickets even though I'm not moving slowly. If I get some of that weighty dust off my engine, I might go so fast that I'd blow my sleeper mode.

Actually, I think even now I'd probably be able to blow some good engine dust off on the white XLR's that I've seen. . . :burnout:

Concerning the car show in which you entered the reproduction Cobra, it should not have been in the same category as the Bonneville. This should have been obvious when you registered the car and was the fault of the registration staff, not you.

The simple fact is that most of the people running your local car shows are not knowledgeable about cars, if not downright ignorant about them. Most of these local shows are run by well meaning folks that are trying to raise funds for some good cause or organization. As a result, they aren't full of car-savvy people.

It is unfair to someone with a vintage car (you didn't state how old the Bonneville was) to have to compete against a reproduction of a vintage car that may be only a few years old.

My favorite little local car show, which is run by a men's group from a local church close to my home, awards a plaque for "Most Original Car". They awarded it to a very nice 65 Corvette. The problem is that there was a small tag affixed to the console that stated that the car was "Restored by John Smith Restoration Shop". Also entered was an extremely nice original, unrestored 66 Pontiac Lemans. A "restored" 65 Corvette beat an unrestored 66 Lemans!

Now to address your two questions.

First, the older gentleman was upset at what he considered a miscategorization that put him at a disadvantage. Had your car been properly classified, he probably would not have been upset. There is a fellow that shows up at the same local car shows that I do. He has a vehicle that would compete against my El Camino. We enjoy good conversation and friendly competition because we compete in the same class.

I have entered Crimson Pearl in a few local shows, not with the idea of "winning", but primarily because most people have never seen an XLR in person, or have no idea of what it is. Quite frankly, most of the local car shows award "Top 25" plaques in addition to the other awards, in an effort to send more people home with an award.

Second, I would enjoy a win over another vehicle if they were both properly classifed as in the category. I would enjoy it if Crimson Pearl beat a current generation Camaro, Mustang, Challenger or Corvette. It would be a hollow victory against an original and unrestored Chevelle or 442.

MY moral of the story is this. I enjoy participating in the local car shows because I know that many of the people there have never seen an XLR, or at least never seen one close up! I enjoy answering questions about it. Same with my EL Camino. I enjoy the opportunity to meet and talk with folks about it and other cars from the same era.

Enjoy driving your replica Cobra, meeting new people and answering questions about it. If you get a plaque or trophy, great. But if not, you still take home the BEST trophy, you get to take your car home!

Agree that most viewers in a car show approach the XLR with a "what is that?". The Saratoga show I entered was simply fun...no awards, just fun.

I recall entering 67 mustang in a show...just a basic coupe with a deluxe interior option. I got dinged right and left since some of my seat parts were not OEM (those who recall the deluxe or Shelby interior will remember the impossible to find side panels on the seat bottom...had found a reproduction...only option)...so, that car show was not fun at all. All of my subsequent mustang restorations use reproduction parts...just fun to drive and judges be dammed!

So, I'll be at a Budweiser show next weekend in Fairfield to have some fun with the XLR...too new to compare with the old iron, but rare enough to elicit conversation.

Have fun with that cobra!

Seems class selection is a key strategy for car shows. My most recent one was a pick your own. I picked "miscellaneous GM" because it made the most sense given the other classes they had (generally by make & model). My class also had Fieros and a mid '80's Monte Carlo, which seemed reasonable.

The winner of my class? A '72 Nova - despite the fact there were antique, classic, etc. classes that seemed more appropriate for it. :dunno:

I will agree that a XLR is NO competition for a '72 Nova - no comment on which way that goes.

If I just wanted to win something, I should have picked the "exotic" class - don't think anyone else was in that one. :squint:

Car Shows

I never go to car shows with the XLR-V expecting to win any awards. Ive been involved with many shows over the years, with my father and his collection of 'old cars'. Most tend to get very technical on all aspects of the car. He had many great cars, but only one that was original. His "best ones", IMO were the restored cars with late model suspensions and drivetrains on them, that were a pleasure to drive to the shows. He went, never expecting to win either, but won many over the years. If you go looking to win, you're going to be disappointed most of the time. Go to have fun and enjoy the experience!!

Here are some of the cars we brought to the shows:

The '68 Chevelle is the only original 'untouched' car. I'm still kicking myself for not keeping it!!
32fordblk.jpg39Packard.jpg67CHEVELLE.jpgPb160156.jpgSep12_0001.jpg

z's46Ford.jpg

Roxy hits the newspapers!

[h=5][FONT=lucida grande, tahoma, verdana, arial, sans-serif]It's all the FUN OF IT ALL [/FONT]:twist:

[FONT=lucida grande, tahoma, verdana, arial, sans-serif]I entered Roxy last Sunday 9/16 /12 in the 1st Annual Gettysburg Battlefield Harley Davidson Motorcycle & Car Show they was raising money for the Ronald McDonald House and Gettysburg Times Newspaper photographer snap a shot of me and my Caddy and they put in this Sunday Newspaper under the FACES Page! Below here is a picture! Only about 15 cars showed for their 1st show but it's all about have fun and a good time. I personally wished there was more lookers but the one's that was there, as usual had that quote "I did not even know Cadillac made something this awesome" I could care less if I win or not! I get more kicks[/FONT] out of enjoying showing her off and of course driving my XLR when ever I can! [/h]Dan :wave:
9-24-12 010.jpg

Car show judging is so subjective it's hard to get upset about not winning (unless the judges won't even come look at your car, which is what I got upset about).

For example, at my last show the guy behind me had a C4. Part of his display was a model of a male dog taking a whiz. He set that up as if it was peeing on his wheel, & to complete the effect poured water under it. He also had stick-on turn signal indicators on his side view mirrors, with coiled wires running from them outside the car to under his hood. The car had an old repaint job with gold flecked paint, but had the original red seats, which were well worn & faded to orange.

He took second in the C4 class.

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back