Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

MP3 / iPod

Congrats...and have a fun, yet safe, trip home! BTW, let me know if you have any issues with the AppRadio 4. As a dealer, I have a direct support line to Pioneer.

Premium is just a "nicer" connector. From what I understand the module still has to be there because that's what tells the head unit to show the "XM" band, no? I tried hooking it up and didn't see the XM band when I did, though I didn't try restarting the car.

I remember now, you are correct.

What is nicer about the connector? Not that big of a deal, really. Just curious how to improve on a simply molded female socket :dunno:

What is this unit used for and what is the purpose of it. Does it support Bluetooth and how much are you asking for it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Dan & Wendy
"05 GRAND DADDY"

The AUX-1F interface provides an auxiliary audio input (3.5mm stereo socket) that many, like myself, use to interface a separate Bluetooth bridge. It is described very well earlier in this thread. I use a Kinivo BTC450 for a Bluetooth interface that plugs into the AUX1F. With an AUX1F you lose XM function. With the similar but different AUX2F XM ability is still available if nothing is plugged in.

Either one gets plugged into the XM module and the cable that was plugged into the module now gets plugged into the new harness.

I remember now, you are correct.

What is nicer about the connector? Not that big of a deal, really. Just curious how to improve on a simply molded female socket :dunno:

Just a slightly heavier duty component. It's probably masturbatory at best and Ray notes as much on the page, but I figured for the small difference I may as well get it.

Road trip update: 4 hours and 300 miles down. Another 2800 or so miles to go!

The AUX-1F interface provides an auxiliary audio input (3.5mm stereo socket) that many, like myself, use to interface a separate Bluetooth bridge. It is described very well earlier in this thread. I use a Kinivo BTC450 for a Bluetooth interface that plugs into the AUX1F. With an AUX1F you lose XM function. With the similar but different AUX2F XM ability is still available if nothing is plugged in.

Either one gets plugged into the XM module and the cable that was plugged into the module now gets plugged into the new harness.

Thx Phrede!
I don't like the quality of the sound on the XM it seems weak..... if I switch from it to a CD it's an amazing sound of much louder and quality sound without change the volume! Even the FM radio sounds better then the XM! Does Kinivo unit produce better quality sound than XM? And to use AUX 1 or 2 do you still need to buy the XM Monthly service plan or do you just use the module to transfer the sound!

Dan & Wendy
"05 GRAND DADDY"

I just did the install using the Kawal AUX2-VRT harness. He also sells a fuse jumper that lets you change the 12v outlet for bluetooth to only be hot in the acc/run mode so the bluetooth isn't always on and run down the battery. It replaces fuse #35 in my 2006 xlr. the extra $10 for the jumper assembly to avoid more battery drain is worth it to me.

My under-the-armrest power receptacle shut off when RAP disabled after ten minutes, so there never a chance of depleting the battery.

CC :wave:

My under-the-armrest power receptacle shut off when RAP disabled after ten minutes, so there never a chance of depleting the battery.

Thanks. Needless to say, I din't wait long enough to time out.

BTW, also thanks for sending the XLR instructions to Ray who forward them on to me after the order. They really helped a novice with the install

I just ordered my AUX2 an the Kinivo for Bluetooth hook up!

Dan & Wendy
"05 GRAND DADDY"

I just ordered my AUX2 an the Kinivo for Bluetooth hook up!

My Kinivo is coming in today so I'll get to that part tonight.

If you haven't worked with the type of connectors that the harness uses before, getting the connector off the XM box can be a challenge. I'd suggest plugging and unplugging the harness connectors from itself a few times to get familiar with the feel. After you slide the blue locking mechanism out, you have to press up (given the way the connector goes into the XM) on the black piece that the blue slides through while pulling gently out on the connector. By trying it on the harness, it will make sense and make the actual job easier since the XM is in a spot that is hard to reach and see at the same time.

Update: I got in the Kinivo and the volume through bluetooth or direct connection to iPod is less than half the volume of the radio. Somewhere, I read another person mentioned this issue and they fixed it with a LGB-1 amp from HTD.com. I've ordered the $35 amp along with some power adapters that I think will work with it. I'll update when everything comes in and the volume levels are the same.

Last edited:
My Kinivo is coming in today so I'll get to that part tonight.

If you haven't worked with the type of connectors that the harness uses before, getting the connector off the XM box can be a challenge. I'd suggest plugging and unplugging the harness connectors from itself a few times to get familiar with the feel. After you slide the blue locking mechanism out, you have to press up (given the way the connector goes into the XM) on the black piece that the blue slides through while pulling gently out on the connector. By trying it on the harness, it will make sense and make the actual job easier since the XM is in a spot that is hard to reach and see at the same time.

Update: I got in the Kinivo and the volume through bluetooth or direct connection to iPod is less than half the volume of the radio. Somewhere, I read another person mentioned this issue and they fixed it with a LGB-1 amp from HTD.com. I've ordered the $35 amp along with some power adapters that I think will work with it. I'll update when everything comes in and the volume levels are the same.

Thanks for the connector tip! As for volume I mentioned this same thing to CC and he said to follow his directions the way he wired his and it would work great! Along with that amp they add a ground loop also which CC said neither off them were needed or a good idea! May he can chime in when he reads this!

Dan & Wendy
"05 GRAND DADDY"

Thanks for the connector tip! As for volume I mentioned this same thing to CC and he said to follow his directions the way he wired his and it would work great! Along with that amp they add a ground loop also which CC said neither off them were needed or a good idea! May he can chime in when he reads this!

I got all installed and am pretty happy with the result. On the amp, I think I followed the CC instructions and the volume was lower. Possibly the reason was I wanted to leave the phone at the volume I use for headphones rather than crank it to full. The amp fixed the issue though. I can switch the car from BT phone to FM and the phone from car to headphone without a volume adjustment.

Hopefully, your install won't require the amp but if you need it, along with the LGB-1 amp, you will need a splitter to convert the single 12v outlet to dual, a 12v power supply adapter to power the amp and a short 3.5mm M-M cable. Other than the amp, I got the stuff off Amazon. Let me know if you would like part numbers.

From the Amazon suggestion, I did order the ground loop filter but didn't need it.

My volume level was fine, and an amp wasn't needed, but your mileage may vary. There were multiple part numbers of Denso infotainment units used during the six-year build cycle. Perhaps there's a difference in the circuitry. If in doubt, install the Knivo as per the instructions, and add if required.

Another possibility is that your instructions and other people's no volume loss reports were written for the AUX1 harness and my install was the AUX2. The difference in the harness may affect the volume.

Considering my experience and yours, I'd suggest using the AUX-1F VRT unless the owner NEEDS XM capability. I went with the Aux2 to allow the possibility of easily reactivating XM but it may have been the wrong choice.

A good point! Aux 1 was my preferred harness for this installation.

XM was advertised as "commercial-free radio" but turned out to be anything but. While some stations were great for long-distance trips, commuting drives were better suited for me to use an iPod, so the AUX-1 harness was implemented as the XM service was shown the door. For me, it was ideal.

An AUX1 harness wires a 3.5mm male connector to the input of the radio, and AUX2 harness adds a 3.5mm female plug which disconnects the output of the XM audio when you plug in a 3.5mm jumper into the 3.5mm receptacle.

Electrically, the input would be the same with both adapters to the stereo.

Another possibility is that your instructions and other people's no volume loss reports were written for the AUX1 harness and my install was the AUX2. The difference in the harness may affect the volume.

Considering my experience and yours, I'd suggest using the AUX-1F VRT unless the owner NEEDS XM capability. I went with the Aux2 to allow the possibility of easily reactivating XM but it may have been the wrong choice.

I went with the Aux2 also to keep the XM it's definitely not as loud as the FM radio or the CD player but to be honest I can just turn it up and it's plenty loud that way, but adding the amp may help bring back a little more of the feeling of having the CD player and the FM loudness which could help if you don't want to switch to FM/CD mode and blow your eardrums out. So far I have the AUX2 wired in and tried it with an iPod and iPhone using a cable old, but I did not get to hook up the. Kinivo unit yet maybe today just have a lot going on this weekend so I'm going to try to finish it today but if not may be one day in a evening!

Dan & Wendy
"05 GRAND DADDY"

I got all installed and am pretty happy with the result. On the amp, I think I followed the CC instructions and the volume was lower. Possibly the reason was I wanted to leave the phone at the volume I use for headphones rather than crank it to full. The amp fixed the issue though. I can switch the car from BT phone to FM and the phone from car to headphone without a volume adjustment.

Hopefully, your install won't require the amp but if you need it, along with the LGB-1 amp, you will need a splitter to convert the single 12v outlet to dual, a 12v power supply adapter to power the amp and a short 3.5mm M-M cable. Other than the amp, I got the stuff off Amazon. Let me know if you would like part numbers.

From the Amazon suggestion, I did order the ground loop filter but didn't need it.

Yes please send the info I believe to fix the volume difference between FM/CD Loudness that would solve The volume difference and would not need to turn up the system when using the iPod or iPhone thank you have a wonderful day!

Dan & Wendy
"05 GRAND DADDY"

The parts I used in addition to the AUX2 and BTC455 are:

LGB-1 from HTD.com Line Level Gain Boost
8" 3.5mm patch cable 3.5mm Patch Cable
a 12v power supply for the amp Amazon.com: HitCar 12V 12-Volt 24V DC 2.1mm Car Truck Bus Van Boat Cigarette Lighter Power Supply Adapter Charger Cable: Cell Phones & Accessories
a dual power splitter Amazon.com: E-xy Two-way 12v Dc Car Charger Double Power Adapter Socket Dual Splitter for Most Cell Phones - Retail Packaging: Electronics

If I were to redo the install, I'd substitute for a more compact install:

Amazon.com: JacobsParts 12V DC 5.5mm x 2.1mm Car Cigarette Lighter Power Supply Adapter Cable for Electronics and LED Strip Lights: Electronics

http://www.amazon.com/Roadpro-Plati...&sr=1-1-catcorr&keywords=roadpro+12v+2+outlet

After hooking everything up (read instructions with amp that factory setting is turned down so no sound until turned up, I started half way), check that the phone volume is set to the normal level that you use it for headphones or whatever. Start playing through BT and adjust the amp volume to match FM/CD volume. After living with install a while, tidy up cables.

If you have any questions, please feel free to ask

BTW, extra parts cost about $60 total.

Last edited:

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry