Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

National Corvette Homecoming 7/14-7/16/11

Rod,
I guess you're missing my point. GM should be to blame, if you look at the calendar, July 1st starts on Friday. If they shut down the last week of June and first week of July, it would not affect the Homecoming. Joe had these dates scheduled last year; GM just announced the shutdown--they knew when the Homecoming was scheduled because Joe has been in contact with them.

I DO see where you are coming from. Maybe everyone going should email GM asking them to NOT shut down the second week of July because of the Homecoming - I would hope they would listen, especially since we (taxpayers) bailed them out of their financial woes??
Or maybe Joe has contacted GM about it?

BGA Plant Shut Down Explanation

The shut down for Bowling Green Assembly Plant is the week that the 4th of July falls in and the following week and is always considered shutdown week for GM.

I've spoken to a friend who was employed there & retired from there; it has been this way for the last 30 years.

There is no need to contact GM. GM and the National Corvette Homecoming are not affiliated in any way. The NCH is a business run by Joe & Vera Pruitt.

Well, if the closing was so well known, as it takes place every year at that time, it would surely make me to be sure to black out those weeks for anything like "The Homecoming." Am I missing something??? :dunno:

The shut down for Bowling Green Assembly Plant is the week that the 4th of July falls in and the following week and is always considered shutdown week for GM.

I've spoken to a friend who was employed there & retired from there; it has been this way for the last 30 years.

There is no need to contact GM. GM and the National Corvette Homecoming are not affiliated in any way. The NCH is a business run by Joe & Vera Pruitt.

Thanks Photo Girl...
I'm just saying that since this is what GM always does, Joe could have taken this into consideration and postponed Homecoming for a week or had it the last week in June. It'll be fun anyway - getting together with everyone is always a blast. Guess it just gives us more time to look at everyone's cars, and have a few more drinks?? AND an excuse to return to Bowling Green someday??

XLR-V Lover said:
Well, if the closing was so well known, as it takes place every year at that time, it would surely make me to be sure to black out those weeks for anything like "The Homecoming." Am I missing something??? :dunno:

EXACTLY!!! That should have been a no-brainer...:pat:

I can't speak for Joe, but I'm guessing it was just an oversight.

Thanks Photo Girl...
I'm just saying that since this is what GM always does, Joe could have taken this into consideration and postponed Homecoming for a week or had it the last week in June. It'll be fun anyway - getting together with everyone is always a blast. Guess it just gives us more time to look at everyone's cars, and have a few more drinks?? AND an excuse to return to Bowling Green someday??

You're right, getting together with everyone is a blast. (And a very important part of ANY event.)

Joe Pruitt's reply to my email

I sent an email to Joe Priutt expressing my dissapointment that the plant will be closed during Homecoming. I also told him that it seemed to be real bad planning. I will post back his reply when I get one...

Here is the letter I received back from Joe Pruitt after my earlier email to him:

Dear Rod
I received your email regarding the Corvette Assembly Plant’s closure during Corvette Homecoming’s 30th Anniversary this coming year, and wanted to reply personally, and thank you for your comments.
We schedule the Homecoming event up to five years in advance due to the demand for our Convention Center and the Holiday Inn itself. We are currently in our 3rd year of that 5 year contract. In the past 30 years of Homecoming, we have tried many dates from June through August but as you might imagine, the summer months are full of competing schedules all across the country. In 2004, we settled on the third week of July for overall best convenience and so we can put some separation between the other major events for those who attend several events a season.
We of course have no control over whatever GM’s schedule may be and they would be the first to admit that it may change at any time. The plant schedules their regular annual shut down for the first two weeks of July, however, last year there was no shutdown whatsoever. GM just recently announced they will again be participating in the annual corporate-wide shut down this July and because of the way falls on the calendar, it will conflict with Homecoming by just a few days. Looking at the future, our schedules will not conflict for either 2012 or 2013. This all depends on GM’s schedule remaining the same.
We are as disappointed as you that this year our schedules (so far) do not accommodate a personal plant tour. We also inquired if the plant will resume tours on Monday, the 18th, for those who might want to stay over an extra day, but GM plant officials informed us that plant tours will resume on Tuesday the 19th, allowing a day to get up to speed after the break.
I can and will say we are scheduled to have a terrific GM new Corvette display, and some very informative discussions with both our new Plant Manager Dave Tatman, and David Leone, former Chief Engineer of the Cadillac XLR.
We are greatly looking forward to hosting this year’s 30th NCH and Corvette Plant anniversaries and XLR Reunion and we have a fantastic schedule of events including a new Road Tour, Golf Tournament, and a 30 year Corvette display for each of Bowling Green’s Corvette production models.
Please feel free to share this with your forum group.
Joe Pruitt

It looks as though we are not going to be attending the Homecoming - we have a new addition scheduled to arrive just prior and because I don't work, lucky me, I get to be mama's helper and keeper of the 3 year old until she is back up on her own.

We will really hate to miss all of the fun and seeing all of you -
Most all of you knew this was probably going to happen ..... but, I always think that I can have it all ... ;)

It looks as though we are not going to be attending the Homecoming - we have a new addition scheduled to arrive just prior and because I don't work, lucky me, I get to be mama's helper and keeper of the 3 year old until she is back up on her own.

We will really hate to miss all of the fun and seeing all of you -
Most all of you knew this was probably going to happen ..... but, I always think that I can have it all ... ;)

Congrats on the new Grandbaby... but we ARE going to miss you in Bowling Green!!!

Thank you Rod ...
It was fun caravaning with you and Cindy ... wine and BIG cookies, plastic cups by the pool .... and big HUGS .... that's my favorite memories of you guys from New Mexico ...

It, for sure is going to be a 'don't miss' event - a chance to show off one of the most beautiful cars in automotive history - ...

You are going to have a great time .... KY is beautiful country ...

Exactly ... can't have too many trips to Bowling Green, right? :cool:

And because I would like to attend Western Kentucky University, I think dad may just find some time to 'come visit me' and while he's there he should drive around and visit the plant... :chuckle:chuckle:chuckle

Do you guys know how many are planning to make this event, only reason i ask is because im taking 30 days leave in july and driving from florida to minnesota in my xlr, would be nice to hit this up on the way.

Do you guys know how many are planning to make this event, only reason i ask is because im taking 30 days leave in july and driving from florida to minnesota in my xlr, would be nice to hit this up on the way.

There is an attendee list under the Event's forums .... I believe there is about 32 cars that have already registered ....
'Everyone' says this is a don't miss occassion .... Take a look at all of the links that are connected to it - It's gonna be a once in a lifetime event!

Looks like I will be bringing Cubby's first XLR to this trip. :D

Bringing this one back up! I believe this is the next big event! :D

There should be at least 30 XLRs @ The Homecoming. It would be nice to see you and your XLR there as well. :wave:

There should be at least 30 XLRs @ The Homecoming. It would be nice to see you and your XLR there as well. :wave:

Im still trying to figure how many days they will let me take off, it works out that its the weekend before car craft summer nationals which im going to im minnesota. the only down part is that the museum will be closed during this time?!? lame... even so, im gonna try to plan for it.
also been busy with the front end of my '05 being converted to an '09 V. should have it back this week!

The National Corvette Museum will be open during The Homecoming. The Bowling Green Assembly Plant will not be open during The Homecoming.
Hope to see you there.

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back