Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

New Member with headlight assembly issues

T

tvedit

Hello to everyone on this forum...

I'm a new member who just purchased a Certified Pre Owned '04 XLR as a second car and I wanted to know if there's anything specific I need to watch out for. The car is in excellent condition, with only 14K miles on the clock, and it's at the dealer for a bumper to bumper, top to bottom inspection.

The only issue in the two weeks I've had the car is the annoying chuggle/surge issue from the rear end, which just happens to be the same problem I had with my '96 Impala SS, so they're changing the differential fluid according to a TSB they have on this issue.

I've already checked to make certain the selling dealer did all the recalls (which they did) but right now I'm stuggling with the service department to get the headlight assemblies replaced (due to the bubbling of the DRL's and turn signal indicator plastic lens assembly). I understand these parts are upwards of $900 each and some dealers may not want to do the job. Anyway, with that said, can anyone suggest a good way to get a dealer to handle this? Possibly the name of the west coast regional service manager?
Lastly, are there any other issues on the XLR I need a heads up on?

Thank you for any help you can offer, Ken

If GM doesn't or won't do anything about the headlamps, there are several on ebay... do a search for xlr headlamps or xlr headlights...
good luck with GM

If GM doesn't or won't do anything about the headlamps, there are several on ebay... do a search for xlr headlamps or xlr headlights...
good luck with GM

I would be very leary of the headlamp assemblies on Ebay--they are most doubtably units that have melted lens, not new ones:dunno::dunno:

I just had this conversation with Cadillac Tech .... seems that the dealerships don't have to replace them under the warranty because that is not a recall issue .... but some do as sort of a "good will" gesture ..... My dealer did replace both of them .....
You are up in Standby's area ..... maybe he can give you the name of his dealership .... he talks like his techs walk on water. (They treat him wonderfully) I would definetly go there if I was closer to the LA area.

Mine were replaced under warranty with no questions asked. Meet the group at Bob's Big Boy in Burbank this Friday. Jay Leno will probably be there again this year. Maybe you can get him to shame GM Cadillac on the air if they don't come thorugh for you.

Just had both my headlight assemblies replaced as a "goodwill" gesture; I paid only for the installation/alignment. My local dealership does a great job for me. The new assemblies for an '04 backfit will need an interface harness for each, which my dealer had to overnight to finish the job.

If you go the eBay route, ensure the headlights being sold show a clear, close-up picture to ensure the bezels aren't melted. You'll see a lot of "good deals" that are as bad (or worse!) than the ones you're replacing. Caveat emptor and all that.

There are upgraded parts for the '04s being introduced during replacement:

My power steering fluid reservoir was cracked and weeping uncontrollably, so that was replaced with the new version, complete with cooler. (The old reservoirs were rectangular, and the new ones are cylindrical.)

As previously mentioned, the '04s were blessed with radiators that failed at an abnormally high rate. Those are being replaced with "V" units.

I would highly recommend instaling the rear sway bar. It's a cheap mod and does wonders for the handling.

CCC :wave:

If your XLR is certified,the headlamps will be covered. The problem with replacing them is usually when you are dealing with GMPP or an aftermarket warranty. I have a good set if you need them.

Bruce :)

I just had this conversation with Cadillac Tech .... seems that the dealerships don't have to replace them under the warranty because that is not a recall issue .... but some do as sort of a "good will" gesture ..... My dealer did replace both of them .....
You are up in Standby's area ..... maybe he can give you the name of his dealership .... he talks like his techs walk on water. (They treat him wonderfully) I would definetly go there if I was closer to the LA area.

Hi, Just my 2 cents, but I went to my local dealer in madison, wi and they made a good will gesture and replaced both of them on my 04. I had just went off warranty at 51k. They were helpful enough where I decided to get a early oil change, tranny flush, and rear end oil change. We all made out.

I'm glad to her some dealers are still covering this. I was not as lucky, my dealer wouldn't cover them. I took it up the food at Cadillac Customer Service and they seem to have forgotten about this problem. My dealer is not high volume, but otherwise a good dealer. Anyhow, I'm picking up a set that Bruce has and I'll be good to go. I already did the rear sway bar using the part list & pricing from here.
Bruce

I'm glad to her some dealers are still covering this. I was not as lucky, my dealer wouldn't cover them. I took it up the food at Cadillac Customer Service and they seem to have forgotten about this problem. My dealer is not high volume, but otherwise a good dealer. Anyhow, I'm picking up a set that Bruce has and I'll be good to go. I already did the rear sway bar using the part list & pricing from here.
Bruce

Your headlamps went out yesterday,UPS.

Mine were replaced under warranty with no questions asked. Meet the group at Bob's Big Boy in Burbank this Friday. Jay Leno will probably be there again this year. Maybe you can get him to shame GM Cadillac on the air if they don't come thorugh for you.

I hear ya my friend; the problem is - how do you publically shame a company like GM?? They tossed their boss under the wheels to please polititions (who have no shame) and now are preparing for bankruptcy........:dunno:

I have to admit that I did buy other vehicles from them, and they were serviced there in the past, which probably didn't hurt. But come on this is their flagship car why would they need any prompting at all to take care of issues that are obviously design issues. You would think they would want all these beauties looking their best.

They should remember that all of us will remember in the future when we buy and how we were treated.

There's the old wino. Hey, I might have good news next week about the uprgraded nav discs, Gm is really ****ed at this outfit that has denied our upgrades from 06 and 07. A very stern email went to the president of this company and my GM contact is waiting for his boss to come back from vacation to read their response. Will know next Tuesday. Fingers crossed here.:pat:
I hear ya my friend; the problem is - how do you publically shame a company like GM?? They tossed their boss under the wheels to please polititions (who have no shame) and now are preparing for bankruptcy........:dunno:

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back
Top Bottom