Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

Important! New thread - Colorado Event

Robert ... were you ever able to get more information on the Chyenne Mountain Resort? I believe that is the one that had the golf course, bar, etc., etc. .... that you mentioned in the beginning. You were thinking that you thought you might be able to negotiate a good rate ... and if it's not all that much different in price it might be a good alternative to take a look at.
I know not everyone wants to be out on drives all day - everyday .... and resorts offer something for everyone.
What do you think?

I agree ... I think we should all stay at one place.
I looked at it when you first mentioned it. Two distinctly different places to hold an event. My thought was that if it wasn't all that much different in price it may be an alternative choice. Scenic hiking ... swimming.... golf .... lots of things to do when we're not out and about in the cars .... or shopping! 4 restaurants, a bar (!) a nice place to hang out and relax ... Thanks in advance for checking it out ... can't hurt and maybe you will get a good rate.
Here is the website http://www.cheyennemountain.com/About_Us/our_location.asp

More Choices equals better pricing

FR,
I think you are confused about the MM's and cost of lodging. We chose the Hampton in SA, as we figured we would be out most everyday--either walking or driving and figured the $40 per day rrom rate and $25-35 per day parking fee equated to more $$$ to spend on our other activities and some fine dining experiences. I don't have aproblem staying at a resort, but you pay for amenities that we may not be using if we are on the go most everyday. I do agree it is best if we all stay at the same place; especially if a banquet or get together is being planned. Just my opinion.

I never went back due to the price as so many of the MM's seem to not want to spend that much. Now that we have pretty much selected a date I will go back and talk to the sales manager and see what rates he will give. It truly is a great place. I think the most fun can be had if everyone stays at the same place.

That sounds good to us! A resort is always nice and if we can keep it at a good enough $ amount then lets look at it and see. Actually I feel CO is all about the resorts. That is what makes it fun, looking at the mountians and being in a resort type atmosphere! Nice!! Check it out for us you Foxy Robin You!! Te He!:D

I never went back due to the price as so many of the MM's seem to not want to spend that much. Now that we have pretty much selected a date I will go back and talk to the sales manager and see what rates he will give. It truly is a great place. I think the most fun can be had if everyone stays at the same place.

Manitou Springs RodeWay Inn @ the Castaways. The RodeWay Inn has 49 Rooms.

I'm a little concerned that this hotel only has 49 rooms. Some of us can book really early and don't have a problem. But there are some people that have to work around work (bad pun) and may not be able to book very early, and by that time the hotel may be booked up. I for one think we should stay with a bigger hotel and one that has meeting rooms.

My pennys unworth.
Chad

Baby Steps

FR,

With the amount of time we have right now; I would only get some preliminary pricing from the resorts and hotels. I did the Hampton for SA last November 08 and they held the block of rooms I requested with a cut-off date until 30 days before our stay. After that time any rooms left were back up for the general public.

I think we need to do the same thing and try to have an idea from people within six months of the event to be able to give the resort/hotal an estimate on rooms and banquet/meeting room capacity. Then we can get more specific on the rates.

With the exception of the banquet type dinner (first night or last or both) I don't think we need to be very structured in what we do. This will be a vacation for many attending and give everyone the opportunity to do what they want, when they want. With people doing things in smaller groups it makes it easier to get through activities and going for lunch/dinner. Just my thoughts, hope I didn't offend anyone:chuckle:chuckle

In May of next year, on line rates for a standard room is about $170 .... without any negotiation at all. FR .... I know you are a good negotiator ... that cost could probably go WAY down - but you are right. This forum needs to start posting their interest in attending ... at least INTENTION ... that doesn't lock anyone into anything .... but it is very hard to get bids and estimates without some sort of count.

My thought was, the same as the rest of you .... it will probably be a vacation for most of the attendees.

Not everyone will want to be out driving or away from their hotel every day or sit in a bar every night (I don't know why not :lol:) ... nor will everyone want to play a game of golf, or do everything else together. We are a diverse group (from the 20's to the 80's) - my thought is that it is at the least worth looking into. All the more important to have to a place that will draw more attendees, offers something for everyone. The difference in cost would be probably less than a hundred dollars for 3 days.

I haven't read anything that constitutes "stepping on toes" ... To get this rolling we need opinions and reasons why or why not something will or won't work. It has to be a group (or committee) decision, or else there won't be an event for everyone, but everyone going in their own direction. No one is going to be 100% in agreement with everything - and that's okay ... that's what life is .... 99% negotiation (ask any married man :laugh:).

I agree totally, we can't get to ahead of ourselves here. We still have alot of time and still no knowledge of how many will attend and who may want to join in later. Or a newbe to the group who may want to also join us fun, fun, people. The larger the group the harder it gets with who wants to do what, when and where and then we have upsets. So FR you are doing an awesome job seeing what all we can do and where it's best to do it, and where we can stay, so please keep it up and we will come to a decision. As for RA you keep up the good work also, we will get this planned out. When there is a will, there is always a way!!! Git R done!!:rocker:

FR,

With the amount of time we have right now; I would only get some preliminary pricing from the resorts and hotels. I did the Hampton for SA last November 08 and they held the block of rooms I requested with a cut-off date until 30 days before our stay. After that time any rooms left were back up for the general public.

I think we need to do the same thing and try to have an idea from people within six months of the event to be able to give the resort/hotal an estimate on rooms and banquet/meeting room capacity. Then we can get more specific on the rates.

With the exception of the banquet type dinner (first night or last or both) I don't think we need to be very structured in what we do. This will be a vacation for many attending and give everyone the opportunity to do what they want, when they want. With people doing things in smaller groups it makes it easier to get through activities and going for lunch/dinner. Just my thoughts, hope I didn't offend anyone:chuckle:chuckle

:chuckleYou go girl! You are so right in picking a place that can suit everyone to do what they want and still give us the room to be together when we want. And to be able to put a plan in action for an area that holds us all.. We need things to do on site or near, so we do not have to drive alot when having fun. A place we can all stay at together that has alot to offer. And an area we can all be together for our beginning and ending. Lets all get together and figure this out! It should not be up to just FR since he lives there. We need suggestions and what and how far people will go in spending. Lets get a count and then the Hotel/Motel/Resort and then figure out the fun part. :blinzel:
In May of next year, on line rates for a standard room is about $170 .... without any negotiation at all. FR .... I know you are a good negotiator ... that cost could probably go WAY down - but you are right. This forum needs to start posting their interest in attending ... at least INTENTION ... that doesn't lock anyone into anything .... but it is very hard to get bids and estimates without some sort of count.

My thought was, the same as the rest of you .... it will probably be a vacation for most of the attendees.

Not everyone will want to be out driving or away from their hotel every day or sit in a bar every night (I don't know why not :lol:) ... nor will everyone want to play a game of golf, or do everything else together. We are a diverse group (from the 20's to the 80's) - my thought is that it is at the least worth looking into. All the more important to have to a place that will draw more attendees, offers something for everyone. The difference in cost would be probably less than a hundred dollars for 3 days.

I haven't read anything that constitutes "stepping on toes" ... To get this rolling we need opinions and reasons why or why not something will or won't work. It has to be a group (or committee) decision, or else there won't be an event for everyone, but everyone going in their own direction. No one is going to be 100% in agreement with everything - and that's okay ... that's what life is .... 99% negotiation (ask any married man :laugh:).

I didn't write it down but just remembered Penny also said if they give us a Suite for a hospitality room they could also set up a cash bar in it. If they do that they will have to stock lots of wine and I am not mentioning any names as consumers. :chuckle:chuckle:chuckle
Don't forget beer and you can mention my name. :laugh::laugh::laugh:

Nope ... no signed contracts. We've seen the havoc that can cause. The hotel can offer those same rates without one. Like Cubby found ... rates up until a certain date and then those that didn't make a reservation, too bad, so sad. I think the facility fee is ridiculous. I would think they would wave that as well .... for goodness sake, what does the room rate cover? Just a bed and TV? Heck for that they're back into competition with regular motels who throw in a doughnut ... That's the only problem that the Hilton did to us in San Antonio ... first a room rate, then a parking rate, and then an internet fee. Everything was an add-on. That was nuts. The hotel was wonderful, but nickle and diming so spoiled their image.
Again, I don't think CHEAP should determine where we stay .... I think we can still find a wonderful place ....but perhaps this resort isn't the only game in town??? I wonder how their reservation books look? Everyone else is suffering and would welcome a group in this economy. You're doing such a great job, Robert ... and we all know that it is very time consuming .... I'd like to thank you again for all of your efforts. :rocker:

FR,

I agree Cubby,we don't have to make all of the plans right now,we have some time. People should take some time and check out what they would like to see and do in CO. First Robin has supplied us with many good websites. It will be a great vacation and people should do the things that they enjoy. Everyone needs to vote on what dates they prefer.
Thanks FR for all of your hard work.

Robert. You have done MORE than enough and I thank you. :worship:
As soon as the dates are firmed up I think we can start making plans.
Several options have been put on the table and we should be able to take our combined opinions and come up with a plan.

My preferences at the moment include staying at the Rodeway Inn. It is casual and a comfortable size. We had, what, 24 cars in San Antonio. Why would we think we might have 50 plus cars in Colorado Springs? We would be "near" each other no matter what the room assignment. In a hotel of 300 plus rooms I would feel a little anonymous.

I love fine hotels and resort living, but with our group, I find the more casual, the more successful and fun things are. I would also enjoy a welcome time of some kind. Something like "meet in the bar/restaurant betweeen 6 and 10" would work just fine. Also, I would love a farewell dinner that does not include a podium, scheduled speaches, or "awards." After twenty years of those, I'd rather people who have something to say just stand up at their table and address the group, much as Rich did in San Antonio on our last night. Once the formality starts, we are off and running which each year trying to be "better" than the last until the event itself becomes more important than the people who just want to get together to enjoy each other's company and our beautiful cars. Plus, I really perfer ordering off the menu.

Now that I've said all that, please remember that it is our differences of opinion and our ability to meet on common ground that make us strong as a group. I have heard other good ideas and I hope to hear many more.

Again, I want to thank First Robin for all his work. You have really gone above and beyond the call of duty. Also, thanks to Ruth Ann. I can tell that this group means an awful lot to you by the suggestions you have made during the preliminary planning of this trip. WE WON'T BE ABLE TO PLEASE EVERYONE. I promise to have a respectful and POSITIVE attitude no matter what we decide.

SEE YOU IN COLORADO :wave: George

I would lean towards the Rodeway/Comfort option. I will also book as soon as they are ready for us. You can always cancle if things change.

I would lean towards the Rodeway/Comfort option. I will also book as soon as they are ready for us. You can always cancle if things change.

I agree, JetBoy/George - the date vote hasn't changed in a couple of days ... clearly we can't vote on everything or nothing will get done .... we need a date and a place to stay so that we can move on .... we can't promote the event without the basics settled.
'Looks like you've checked out things pretty thouroughly, Robert ... if there's a vote or not, I'd say go for it. Cubby .... I think you have stepped into the role of decision maker :)rocker:) so, if you want my support, you've got it.

(No, Robert .... there wasn't a planned farewell dinner - I believe Rich's comments were made at The Cadillac Bar when we had a drink and celebrated some birthday's. Some of us did, very spontaneously, stop at an unknown hotel on the way back to The River and had dinner together ... I did say farewell there to many more than dear friends :bawling:... )

Good job everyone ... :grouphug:

Robert. You have done MORE than enough and I thank you. :worship:
As soon as the dates are firmed up I think we can start making plans.
Several options have been put on the table and we should be able to take our combined opinions and come up with a plan.

My preferences at the moment include staying at the Rodeway Inn. It is casual and a comfortable size. We had, what, 24 cars in San Antonio. Why would we think we might have 50 plus cars in Colorado Springs? We would be "near" each other no matter what the room assignment. In a hotel of 300 plus rooms I would feel a little anonymous.

I love fine hotels and resort living, but with our group, I find the more casual, the more successful and fun things are. I would also enjoy a welcome time of some kind. Something like "meet in the bar/restaurant betweeen 6 and 10" would work just fine. Also, I would love a farewell dinner that does not include a podium, scheduled speaches, or "awards." After twenty years of those, I'd rather people who have something to say just stand up at their table and address the group, much as Rich did in San Antonio on our last night. Once the formality starts, we are off and running which each year trying to be "better" than the last until the event itself becomes more important than the people who just want to get together to enjoy each other's company and our beautiful cars. Plus, I really perfer ordering off the menu.

Now that I've said all that, please remember that it is our differences of opinion and our ability to meet on common ground that make us strong as a group. I have heard other good ideas and I hope to hear many more.

Again, I want to thank First Robin for all his work. You have really gone above and beyond the call of duty. Also, thanks to Ruth Ann. I can tell that this group means an awful lot to you by the suggestions you have made during the preliminary planning of this trip. WE WON'T BE ABLE TO PLEASE EVERYONE. I promise to have a respectful and POSITIVE attitude no matter what we decide.

SEE YOU IN COLORADO :wave: George

Well said George,thanks for your input. As you stated,we won't be able to please everyone. People should look at all of the options themselves so that First Robin doesn't have to do all of the work.

Very well stated George. Foxy Robin thank you for all your hard work you have done. Everyone stop worring about stepping on toes or offending anyone. We are discussing and opinions are wanted. If we want we can put the hotel situation to a vote. We can have two choices and vote. It seems to me right now we are leaning toward Rodeway/Comfort option. I have went on the link that FR has provided and it appears to me that we have options with this choice. He has provided different room rates. I agree with Jetboy. It appears to me that there is restaurants next to the hotel. Is this correct FR? We just need to start getting things lined up and opinions heard. I for one am not going to think anyone is stepping on toes. I want the opinions and respect anything anyone has to say on this matter. JMO:D

I am all for the Roadway then if it is decided upon. Price is good, area is good, and most of all Foxy Robin knows what he is talking about. Colorado has so much to do and just the view is all I need. I love it there and know what all FR has done and picked for us is more than adequate. So I'm easy and we are not in our rooms that much so the Roadway sounds just fine. Thanks to you Mr. Robin you have done alot and if anyone wants to throw out more then go for it. Otherwise what FR has found I'm good with.
He is also correct in saying that it is a Holiday week and weekend and CO is extremely busy, so yes I guess we do not need to leave this open for very long. ;)

Thanks George, I agree with everything you have said. I was not aware that there was a farewell get together in San Antonio, must have been an MM thing. Since the most votes for dates has been May 23rd thru 29th those are the dates I gave to both lodging facilities today. That being the week prior to Memorial Day and just before peak season I am sure they will be coming up with a little more discount than what they quoted today. I know that once everyone arrives in Colorado they will all have an absolutely fantastic time and probably will leave here saying, gee, I think I should move to Colorado. :):):) There are a lot of other places to stay but I am not up to checking anymore out. Please feel free to use the internet, you might come up with something better than I have located.

Hi Everyone
Its been a while since I have posted but Ingrid and I have been through so much this past month that its drained us. We are interested in this trip however,we would like to give our opinion. We do not know Colorado but rodeway inn in Tucson is a hang out for prostitutes and crack addicts. I realize price is important to everyone but were driving XLR's and Colorado has a lot of resorts. This is not only a gathering to have fun but a vacation also. Surely we can fine a resort that would give rates that would be agreeable with everyone. These resorts are hurting financially as everyone else in this industry. They want business and will bend over backwards to get it. We both think this will be really fun trip so where we stay must be safe, clean and enjoyable.

Thanks for all the hard work First Robin.

Fred & Ingrid:wave:

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back