Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

Oil leak survey

I have had multiple oil leaks on both the 2005 4.6L and the 2006 4.4L Northstars that I own. Both have been back to several different dealers multiple times for attempted repairs. Three dealers and they all follow the same pattern, maybe it's just a loose oil filter (not), maybe it's a leaking oil drain plug (not), maybe it's loose oil pan bolts (I don't think so since they are specifically torqued during assembly). The 4.4 had a leaking timing chain cover. It was reapired two years ago and now I have a leak around the oil pan, but the dealer finally said that since it has 67,000 miles on it that some leaks are normal. The 4.6 had leaks at the oil pan and oil filter adapter at 5,000 miles, both were finally reapired and no more leaks at 96,000 miles. This tells me that they don't have to have leaks, but there must be flaws in the factory assembly process that were not being addressed. It's kind of embarrassing when you have to park you Cadillac on the side of the road instead of your friends driveway for fear of dripping oil on their drive.

Reading all of this makes me think of references to "Monday-Friday cars" in some CTS-V posts/discussions I've seen - i.e., some of the same year etc. have a ton of problems while others are just fine, with no reasonable explanation. One theory is maybe the problem children were made when everyone was a bit off, like on a Monday or a Friday. Makes me wonder if that's true for XLR's.

I still don't understand how an '06 base can have twice the miles but half the leak of an '07 V (that wasn't owned by Gizmo!). :dunno: Fingers crossed mine won't get any worse, but at least it sounds like if has to be fixed, it will probably be fixed for good (but how come they all couldn't come from the factory "fixed for good"?).

It's also a shame that of all the cars I've owned over the last 20 years and that I've put up to 95k miles on - all GM except for one Ford - the XLR's are the ONLY ones that have had oil leaks. But I did know what I was getting into thanks to this forum & to expect that as a possible problem, & I still just couldn't keep away from getting one!

Almost 66k miles on my '04 and not a hint of an oil leak. If one does occur at least it is covered by my extended warranty.

I have had multiple oil leaks on both the 2005 4.6L and the 2006 4.4L Northstars that I own. Both have been back to several different dealers multiple times for attempted repairs. Three dealers and they all follow the same pattern, maybe it's just a loose oil filter (not), maybe it's a leaking oil drain plug (not), maybe it's loose oil pan bolts (I don't think so since they are specifically torqued during assembly). The 4.4 had a leaking timing chain cover. It was reapired two years ago and now I have a leak around the oil pan, but the dealer finally said that since it has 67,000 miles on it that some leaks are normal. The 4.6 had leaks at the oil pan and oil filter adapter at 5,000 miles, both were finally reapired and no more leaks at 96,000 miles. This tells me that they don't have to have leaks, but there must be flaws in the factory assembly process that were not being addressed. It's kind of embarrassing when you have to park you Cadillac on the side of the road instead of your friends driveway for fear of dripping oil on their drive.

Oh, I forgot to mention that my Allante also leaks oil, but it's not a Northstar and after all it is a 1990 model with 150,000 miles so all three of the Cadillacs I have owned have leaked oil. Regardless of this my wife loves her STS with the 4.6 and I love my XLR with the 4.4 and I still have the Allante with the 4.5 so it can't be all bad. I will say though my next car will be an all electric Tesla so oil leaks shoud not be a problem with that one.

Ok don't mean to scare anyone but Roxy just turning 70k on her! Sent her in for oil change and spring check up and left them know she was leaving a few oil drips on the garage floor, and here's the news I got she leaking at 3 different gaskets and one at an area they need to remove the spring and shock to get to they said aleast 20 hours plus on labor plus parts, sure am glad I purchased the Route 66 aftermarket warrantty at 90.00 hours labor. They qoute about 300.00 out of pocket for the oils, diagnoses to find the problem and aligning the front end! :dunno:

Oh, I forgot to mention that my Allante also leaks oil, but it's not a Northstar and after all it is a 1990 model with 150,000 miles so all three of the Cadillacs I have owned have leaked oil. Regardless of this my wife loves her STS with the 4.6 and I love my XLR with the 4.4 and I still have the Allante with the 4.5 so it can't be all bad. I will say though my next car will be an all electric Tesla so oil leaks shoud not be a problem with that one.

Hey Steven, I don't think you'll like the Tesla! I drove one and talk of lack of comfort, NONE AT ALL! My TF 1500 MGs were more comfortable than the Telsa and for the money, my next car is going to be a Cadillac ELR!

Hey Steven, I don't think you'll like the Tesla! I drove one and talk of lack of comfort, NONE AT ALL! My TF 1500 MGs were more comfortable than the Telsa and for the money, my next car is going to be a Cadillac ELR!

Jack, Tesla model S to replace the Cadillac STS, not the roadster. Model S | Tesla Motors I hope to have the XLR for a very long time oil leaks or not!

I am also watching the progress of the Cadillac ELR, drove a Volt for the first time last weekend in Phoenix, hope Cadillac is not going to do like they did in the old days and take a Chevy Volt and rebadge it. Remember the Cimarron!

Reading all of this makes me think of references to "Monday-Friday cars" in some CTS-V posts/discussions I've seen - i.e., some of the same year etc. have a ton of problems while others are just fine, with no reasonable explanation. One theory is maybe the problem children were made when everyone was a bit off, like on a Monday or a Friday. Makes me wonder if that's true for XLR's.

I still don't understand how an '06 base can have twice the miles but half the leak of an '07 V (that wasn't owned by Gizmo!). :dunno: Fingers crossed mine won't get any worse, but at least it sounds like if has to be fixed, it will probably be fixed for good (but how come they all couldn't come from the factory "fixed for good"?).

It's also a shame that of all the cars I've owned over the last 20 years and that I've put up to 95k miles on - all GM except for one Ford - the XLR's are the ONLY ones that have had oil leaks. But I did know what I was getting into thanks to this forum & to expect that as a possible problem, & I still just couldn't keep away from getting one!

Amy - I have had many Cadillacs over the years and unfortunately, most of what you read on the Northstar engine is the oil leak problem. My '94 Concours had a leak at 60K, my 2000 DTX had a leak at 90K (still under warranty, dealer replaced all piston rings and pistons)... no more leaks until recently, at just over 200K. Bruce knows where the leak is and I hope to have him fix it this spring. My '05 XLR has a small leak too (at almost 180K) and I will ask Bruce to fix that one this spring too (Bruce - with 3 Cadillacs right now - I might be spending a few weekends in Indianapolis this spring :chuckle). I think things got better with the Northstar over the years - but not perfected. But even with the oil leak problems - you can't find and engine that gives you 300+ hp and mid 20's mpg too. I still love my Northstars - all three of them (DTX, XLR & SRX). :cool:

BTW, I went with a yellow top Optima rather than the red because of it's ability to do a deeper cycle (read parasitic drain) and not an overly high cranking needs. Just my thoughts. I'm glad I did and have not had a single battery related problem since.

In the boat business, we use the Blue Tops - even deeper cycle capable. I use 5 in my Sea Ray 450...

Almost 66k miles on my '04 and not a hint of an oil leak. If one does occur at least it is covered by my extended warranty.

I get a few drips out of my '05. I'll just replace the cardboard under it every 6 months or so. My Northstar Allante didn't leak a drop...

Amy - I have had many Cadillacs over the years and unfortunately, most of what you read on the Northstar engine is the oil leak problem. My '94 Concours had a leak at 60K, my 2000 DTX had a leak at 90K (still under warranty, dealer replaced all piston rings and pistons)... no more leaks until recently, at just over 200K. Bruce knows where the leak is and I hope to have him fix it this spring. My '05 XLR has a small leak too (at almost 180K) and I will ask Bruce to fix that one this spring too (Bruce - with 3 Cadillacs right now - I might be spending a few weekends in Indianapolis this spring :chuckle). I think things got better with the Northstar over the years - but not perfected. But even with the oil leak problems - you can't find and engine that gives you 300+ hp and mid 20's mpg too. I still love my Northstars - all three of them (DTX, XLR & SRX). :cool:

Dave, your cars are definitely the inspiration! Like I said, I at least knew what I was getting into with the Northstar (XLR is the only car I've had with it), plus mine's not too bad yet. And if I get it fixed maybe I can try for 150+ miles! :rocker: BUT, still disappointing/sticker shock to deal with it on a lower mileage car. Somehow it doesn't alter my love/addiction for XLR's . . .

I'm probably going to stick with the "change the cardboard" approach on mine until it gets worse. Mike has assured me it will but I'm trying to ignore him. :hearseespk:

A little leaky but so far no bills....

I found a small amount of oil on the floor and when I took it into the dealer they located the problem as oil "wicking" up an electrical wire through the cam shaft actuator. For only $1200 est. they thought they could fix it up for me. The tech thought that maybe we should just keep an eye on it and if it got worse then deal with it. It is not worse so far.....6 months later. The drip is annoying though.

My 05 has had all of them, some were fixed under warranty. The camshaft actuator covers are leaking now, as well as the Oil Pan. Anyone know how mucht the oil pan repair might cost or what is involved? I have a mechanic, but he fears the engine may need to be lifted to get to the oil pan..........:dunno: I hope not.

All I can tell you was the bill was around $1800 they had to remove the front shock to get to the one but they did NOT say they had to lift the motor to do the oil pan. Mine is an 05 also with 70,000 on her back in January this year when they did the work! I sure I'm glad I bought the aftermarket warranty it ended up costing me I think around $400 in the end but I had some add on's that they did also! And had a oil changed in rear end and front end alignment done.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Thanks Dan

Oil Leaks....... and what next.....

My 05 has had all of them, some were fixed under warranty. The camshaft actuator covers are leaking now, as well as the Oil Pan. Anyone know how mucht the oil pan repair might cost or what is involved? I have a mechanic, but he fears the engine may need to be lifted to get to the oil pan..........:dunno: I hope not.

I had a small drip last year and when we got to the source, it was those camshaft actuator covers. It seems the oil is "wicking" up and along the wrapping of a cable that passes through there. They estimated that I was looking at $1500 to get this fixed so decided to keep an eye on it for now. There is no damage being caused by this, other than the drip on the garage floor and it is very small in any event. My 05 has about 50,000 miles on it at this time.

Kenn

I will pay money for someone to tell me what part number these actuator cover gaskets are.......The dealers I have been to can't find them on any diagram.

I will pay money for someone to tell me what part number these actuator cover gaskets are.......The dealers I have been to can't find them on any diagram.

I will check with my dealer repair shop and see if they change them on mine in January when they change a bunch of my gasket! If not may they can still know WHAT YEAR IS YOUR & BASE OR V???

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Thanks Dan

How much moola? Drumroll the manual says " apply a 2mm bead of rev sealant GM p/n 12378521 or equivalent around the flange of the camshaft position actuator magnet". Probably why they leak all the time. No gaskets.:blinzel:

Here is the diagram. Underneath Part #735, that's where the oil is coming out.

Attachments

• Cadillac Diagram.PNG
    Cadillac Diagram.PNG
    33.1 KB · Views: 1,588

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics