Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

Oil leak survey

I never really checked how many miles between oil changes!
Just wondering if it goes by mileage for oil changes or does the motor detect when it needs changed?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Dan & Wendy
" 05 GRAND DADDY"

I never really checked how many miles between oil changes!
Just wondering if it goes by mileage for oil changes or does the motor detect when it needs changed?

Dan & Wendy
" 05 GRAND DADDY"

My understanding is the system monitors the oil's temp and your driving style such as rpms, speeds, etc.

I've notice when I'm really easy on my driving the percent stays stable, around the same number. When I start getting on it and playing around manually shifting at higher rpms and pushing it on twisty roads then the percent drops a percent or two.

Watch yours and your driving habits and see what the percent shown in the DIC does.

Hey Thx Mark like I said was not sure how it tracks the oil changes, so I got a problem now an that try to baby her to see if you know what I mean!
I'm been at a once a year oil change when I send her in for the PA inspection which is around now it runs out in March, but we were tripping a lot every year since I bought her in March of 2011. This year not planning on tripping much so may be I'll get more than a year out of her next year!
Good info. Thx

Dan & Wendy
" 05 GRAND DADDY"

Yes I took mine in for the oil leak issue. Just received call from my service guy and he said they found one area that it was coming from. The area of the cam shaft. So they have one in stock and the other 3 will be in by tomorrow. So that's one headache down. My Zurich warranty is covering part or all of it. Couldn't really understand because he was going through some other issues. Mainly my 30 k mile check up,oil change, tonneau cover alignment and squeaky brake. He told me that another lady that has the same color or similar color and yr. has the same issue with her brakes. So the only thing they recommend is applying spray every so many months or just live with the problem. So that's great news for me. So I'll get her back late afternoon Tuesday. :burnout: I was looking at my oil life and the last I saw was 60%. But I was over by 1 k miles. So I'm having that done too. Guess I'll go by miles instead of what the percentage says.

squeaky brake noise

quote: "So the only thing they recommend is applying spray every so many months or just live with the problem."

What type/kind/brand of spray do they use to spray on the brake pads to quiet them down?
dunno.gif

I have a left, rear brake pad that has an annoying squeak to it...

Any help appreciated...

Yes both my rears are making that noise or 1 rear and 1 front. The dealer said there is another person who has my car, she has that problem. I'll find out tomorrow when the service guy calls

quote: "So the only thing they recommend is applying spray every so many months or just live with the problem."

What type/kind/brand of spray do they use to spray on the brake pads to quiet them down?
dunno.gif

I have a left, rear brake pad that has an annoying squeak to it...

Any help appreciated...
I would not recommend spraying any lube near or by your brakes. Usually something is going on like worn,contaminated,warped,glazing. I know ALOT of semi metallics will do so depending on driving habits. :dunno:

I talked to my service advisor and it's the o rings with the that connect to the camshaft. Zurich will pay for those but not for engine clean up from the oil. The service guy said they told him it's the customers response ability for that. When I know more ill post. The $400 is because I'm due for my 30 k check up. I have a coupon. So when I dropped the car off I told them. But as for the spray I'll find out more when I go to pick up the car.

Hi hawkeye372,

Sorry for the oil leak issue you've recently encountered with your XLR. Glad to hear you were able to bring your vehicle in for service at your local dealer and they will be replacing necessary parts to resolve this concern. Please keep me updated after you pick up your vehicle. If you have additional questions or concerns, don't hesitate to send me a private message. I am always happy to assist anyway that I can.

Regards,

Laura M.
Cadillac Customer Care

Well I noticed it a couple months ago. But was very small amount. Recently it was getting larger so I brought her to the dealership so she can be taken care of. She's also getting her 30 k checkup. I hope when I get her back she'll be running like new

Ok got the car back around 5 pm. The oil leak was from the camshaft position actuator magnets leaking oil. So they had one in stock and had to order the other 3. Zurich aftermarket warranty paid. Then while I had it in the shop they did the 30 k mile check up. Boy that's a lot of work. performed fuel system and replaced cabin air filter and did a all 4 wheel alignment and pressurized tires then test drove it. Then gave her a comp bath. So then I rushed her back home and put her to bed. Because weather man was calling for heavy storms with hail. (But nothing really happened). Oh btw before I pulled away, the service guy said someone was around the corner wanting to buy my xlr. He said do you really want to. I said no way. But then I thought about it when I got home. I should've said 100 k. But then I would've probably gotten a /:)7. You know those other cars made at bg plant. But that's a dirty word around here. As I left I think the person was looking at a pony car in the Cadillac lot

I managed to make about 160,000 before I started seeing leaks, small and not droping on floor but gets on exhaut and smells. I am not sure if this has anything to do with it but I washed my engine and udercarrage at least onece a month, it always had what I call, sweat as most engines do but never considered them leaks. However I just came to california and needed an oil change and went to a local quick change joint. all they had was High end pennzoil, I almost left but they convinced me the oil was equal or better than Mobil one? anyway the leaks seem to be worse with this oil? it may just be the miles who knows. to be safe I am going back to Mob one.
Steve

I just got done with my oil leak at the dealer. They found out it was the cam shaft actuator. I think it was somewhat do to these darn potholes

I have the perfect trifecta!

Beauty's oil leaks are getting bigger so I took her in to get her checked. Turns out I have multiple oil leaks, managed to get ALL the usual ones:
1. Cam shaft actuator (they said that's been leaking a while)
2. Timing chain cover
3. Oil pan
As usual, if I'm going to do something, I'm going to do it right!

This will be the first test of my USAA aftermarket warranty. Dealer thought they would cover everything, & I'm sure going to need them to.

Beauty's oil leaks are getting bigger so I took her in to get her checked. Turns out I have multiple oil leaks, managed to get ALL the usual ones:
2. Timing chain cover
3. Oil pan

This will be the first test of my USAA aftermarket warranty. Dealer thought they would cover everything, & I'm sure going to need them to.

Yep Roxy had got hers done last spring too and thank goodness for the aftermarket warranty[emoji6]

Dan & Wendy
"05 GRAND DADDY"

2. Timing chain cover
3. Oil pan

Yes that's what happened to me a while back. I think late July early August. And my Zurich warranty covered [emoji3]. Mine was leaking for a while slow drips. But then I just went to the dealer and the warranty covered it

Took a week to take care of everything but Beauty is back home & all seems well so far. Can't see all the fixes, but I can see shiny new cam actuators with big "Made in Germany" stickers on them. On the good side, since all the typical leak areas needed fixing at once (& were approved by the extended warranty :thumbsup) I'm hoping that I'm done with oil leaks for the life of the car.

Ok got the car back around 5 pm. The oil leak was from the camshaft position actuator magnets leaking oil. So they had one in stock and had to order the other 3. Zurich aftermarket warranty paid. Then while I had it in the shop they did the 30 k mile check up. Boy that's a lot of work. performed fuel system and replaced cabin air filter and did a all 4 wheel alignment and pressurized tires then test drove it. Then gave her a comp bath. So then I rushed her back home and put her to bed. Because weather man was calling for heavy storms with hail. (But nothing really happened). Oh btw before I pulled away, the service guy said someone was around the corner wanting to buy my xlr. He said do you really want to. I said no way. But then I thought about it when I got home. I should've said 100 k. But then I would've probably gotten a /:)7. You know those other cars made at bg plant. But that's a dirty word around here. As I left I think the person was looking at a pony car in the Cadillac lot

Did Zurich cover the cost for the "Performed Fuel System"? Enquiring minds would like to know.;)

Early unhappy New Year to me!

Today was 60 & next week will be rainy & in the 40's, so I took Beauty for a good drive & stretched her legs on the interstate for a short distance. When I got back home Mike said it had the hot oil smell so checked it - sure enough, it's leaking again. :bawling::bawling::bawling: Coming from the bottom front of the engine, not sure if it's a new leak or an old one not properly repaired. Be calling Mon to see about getting it fixed.

Oh well - I guess at least I won't be missing top down time ...

Us too Amy it was 59 and sunny top went down for Christmas at the end of November in PA! It was a lucky day!
I Ask Wendy if she want to put down she said hell yeah! [emoji41] so off we went to the movies to see the 3rd Hobbit!
Hopefully your oil leaks an easy fix!
25799720f23f3278dd66ce12039da83b.jpg

Returning Roxy back to moms garage today where she's staying for a couple more weeks before bringing her out for spring prep and down south road trip!
Can't wait to see you all again in May!

ALL SO LOOKING FOR A CHROME GRILL FOR MY 2005 if anyone has one or connection to one please contact or PM me!
Thank You![emoji41][emoji482][emoji485][emoji483]

Dan & Wendy
"05 GRAND DADDY"

Last edited:
hate to say this But i guess i will take the chance. It's in the mid 60's and will be touching in the mid 70's here next week. If it wasn't for the baltimore game today I would be taking a spin around town. Maybe during halftime or monday. Right now its very foggy out here. The fog has been slowly lifting, But not fast enough. So if i even take her out the interior will get messed up with the fog. I've had the girls top down for the last week or so. The only movement has been backing her in and out of the garage because I've been cleaning out the garage and putting away christmas decorations.

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back
Top Bottom