Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

Optima Battery

BILLS_XLR

Seasoned Member
My XLR/V(s)
2006 Black/Shale XLR-V
Has anyone ACTUALLY INSTALLED an Optima battery on an XLR-V. I've seen several posts about Optimas but don't remember reading about an actual install. Remember the TV commercial with the guy with the huge hammer and 2x4 trying to fit the wrong size battery in something or other and saying ....Oh yeah we'll make it fit...'
Thanks,
Bill

I planned on replacing my GM battery with a yellow top optima in the near future... I'm curious if there are any hang ups as well.

Odyssey Battery

The original owner of my 2005 XLR drove the car so little the last year she owned it (200 miles), the factory-installed battery died. It was replaced with a Duralast (Autozone) battery. It seems to do fine, but I decided to replace it with an Odyssey Battery.

I ordered the battery specified by the Odyssey website, but when it came in, it was obviously wrong. After I pulled the Duralast out to determine what exactly what battery was appropriate, I was able to order the correct one for my car.

I picked it up last week, but haven't yet installed it. I also purchased their charger unit as well.

I've used the Odyssey batteries in other applications where the battery is subject to slow discharge due to infrequent use of the vehicle. I have had excellent results with them.

They make a terrific battery, but their vehicle application guide leaves something to be desired. Then again, I have noticed that the XLR seems to be subject to a lot of misinformation in part application guides.

http://www.odysseyfactory.com/index.html

No affiliation other than I am a satisfied user of the product.

Thanks CP please let me know how the install goes.
Bill
The original owner of my 2005 XLR drove the car so little the last year she owned it (200 miles), the factory-installed battery died. It was replaced with a Duralast (Autozone) battery. It seems to do fine, but I decided to replace it with an Odyssey Battery.

I ordered the battery specified by the Odyssey website, but when it came in, it was obviously wrong. After I pulled the Duralast out to determine what exactly what battery was appropriate, I was able to order the correct one for my car.

I picked it up last week, but haven't yet installed it. I also purchased their charger unit as well.

I've used the Odyssey batteries in other applications where the battery is subject to slow discharge due to infrequent use of the vehicle. I have had excellent results with them.

They make a terrific battery, but their vehicle application guide leaves something to be desired. Then again, I have noticed that the XLR seems to be subject to a lot of misinformation in part application guides.

http://www.odysseyfactory.com/index.html

No affiliation other than I am a satisfied user of the product.

Hi! I put one in my V and the only real problem is the length of the factory hot lead being a bit short. I think I just had to put a new bend in the lead to get it to work. You will also have to work out the factory hold down and I forget what I did but it is not a big deal. My wife has the car out right now but I will check exactly what I did and get back to you tomorrow. Also, I see we are just a few miles away from each other. We should get together sometime.
Jack

Thanks

Hi! I put one in my V and the only real problem is the length of the factory hot lead being a bit short. I think I just had to put a new bend in the lead to get it to work. You will also have to work out the factory hold down and I forget what I did but it is not a big deal. My wife has the car out right now but I will check exactly what I did and get back to you tomorrow. Also, I see we are just a few miles away from each other. We should get together sometime.
Jack
Jack thanks for the update ...did you go with a red top or other. For some reason I can't seem to accept your friend request or send PMs.

Jack

If you have the time, some photos would be great to see! :)

Odyssey Battery

I hope to put the new Optima battery into the car this weekend. My back had been a little touchy and I just didn't want to risk it, because the Odyssey Battery is so heavy! :ugh:

I would suggest than anyone that isn't familiar with Absorbed Glass Mat (AGM) batteries check out the info on the Odyssey site that I listed in my earlier post.

I will post pictures of the current installation, as well as with the battery out and the new Odyssey installed. One additional pain will be keeping the system voltage up, I'll be using a "jump box" so I don't lose the memories and settings!

I would suggest that if you have a few minutes, read the info contained in the Odyssey brochure available at the following link. Good info to explain the AGM battery as opposed to conventional units :

http://www.odysseyfactory.com/documents/US-ODY-ALTV-002_0209_rev.pdf

Brochure looks great, which battery fits the XLR? Was wondering if its a close fit or you'll need to do some tinkering. I'd also like to check the cranking and reserve power to compare with the standard battery. Keep us posted, sounds like a great alternative so far.

Hi! I have the red top. The battery fits nicely and comes with hold down adapters that keep it in place. The original OEM foam surround fits around it also. Again, the only problem is the height. I had to bend the the hot lead wire end to get it to work. It is a very minor and evident when you try to hook it up.

Jack

IT'S DONE!!!

I installed the new Odyssey battery into Crimson Pearl this afternoon.

I first connected a "jump box" to the car electrical system in order to maintain the voltage so as not to lose any settings or memories. I connected the + to the terminal next to the fuse block and the - to a good ground on the engine.

I then turned to removing the present battery. The original owner of the car had driven the car so little the last year she owned it (200 miles) that she let the battery die and had to replace it. It was replaced with an Autozone Duralast 86-B. This battery was rated at 525 cca. It was doing a satisfactory job, but I really wanted to put a AGM (absorbed glass mat) battery in there.

Here is a picture of the Duralast installed in the car.

MVC-001F-6.jpg

After I removed the Duralast, I took a picture of what it looked like, for size and identification comparison. It was installed reverse of how you see her it, with the terminals toward the front.

MVC-002F-3.jpg

Here is a picture of the battery well empty, after removing the Duralast and prior to installing the Odyssey.

MVC-005F.jpg

Here is a picture of the new Odyssey battery that is going in! Notice it has the proper recessed flange at the bottom to allow the "hold down" block to properly secure the battery. It also has side terminals that are plugged with the red plastic color plugs. The drop-down folding handle is a nice touch and makes it easier to handle.

MVC-004F-1.jpg

Here is a picture of the Odyssey battery installed. It fits like a glove, with no modification of any sort required, no bending of the battery leads or any type of change.

MVC-007F-2.jpg

This installation could not have been any easier. The new Odyssey battery is rated at 710 cca as opposed to the 525 of the Duralast. I am certain that it will perform better and last much longer. The Odyssey is much more tolerant of sitting with a less than full charge and according to Odyssey, it will not suddenly and often, unexpectedly, die without warning. They say that near the end of the battery life, the performance will begin to deteriorate slowly.

I can't say that installation in your car will be identical, as this is the only XLR I have! It is a 2005 model, but your installation may be simular or even identical.

These batteries are somewhat expensive, but I think an XLR is certainly worthy of the best!

If you have any questions, please feel free to post them!

Hey, Why all the fuss with the fancy batteries?
I don't know what they cost, but I'm sure they're not cheap.

Buy a "CTEK Multi US 3300" battery charger. It works great. It's a very small unit that can be mounted under the hood , if you like. When the charge is complete the unit automatically go to "pulse maintenance".
My XLR sat in the garage all winter under the cover and it started right up last week (1st day of Spring). The voltmeter reads 14 volts.

:patriot:

I've got an CTEK tender also, but mine is only a 800 model. Do you leave hook up and on the battery running all Winter? I usually hook it up and charge about 4-6 days and take it off the car (battery) for about 10 days maybe 2 weeks and then it's back on the battery again.

I think my car has "battery envy" with all this talk! I took her off the Battery Tender when the weather was geting warmer a few weeks ago and now, when I start her up, I get the "Service Stability System" message. I figured out that it was due to low battery voltage during start up. She's fine AS LONG AS I keep her on the Tender.

PS She's received a new PCM and BCM recently. Thank you GMPP!!!! (The old BCM was bad; the new BCM wouldn't communicate with the old PCM, so she got a new one - all is now well!)

I've got an CTEK tender also, but mine is only a 800 model. Do you leave hook up and on the battery running all Winter? I usually hook it up and charge about 4-6 days and take it off the car (battery) for about 10 days maybe 2 weeks and then it's back on the battery again.

Yes, I left it on all Winter. According to the manual the unit will maintain the voltage level and not overcharge the battery.

When I started it up the cars voltmeter read 14 volts.

When I started it up the cars voltmeter read 14 volts.

As long as your car's alternator is working properly, the dash will always ready 14v... its typically not a good indication of what the battery's condition is.

With all the horror stories that I hear about our batteries not lasting, I'm getting interested into this thread, I'm going on my 4th season on my battery and I've heard some of you people say that your battery didn't last that long. I really like what I've read on this Odyessey battery. I measured my battery, it's about the same as what Crimson Pearl put into his car but his is taller, about an inch. It looks taller in his pictures, it's higher on the cabin filter door. The Odyessey web site recommended an pc1200mjt battery for my "X". But that's an 1 1/2 less in length than what I measured my current battery. The battery in the pictures here is an pc 1230, more CCA's

Here's an article from the Vette fourm about using a different Odyessey battery with even more CCA's:

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-...92-odyssey-battery-install-2008-c6-coupe.html

Does our X's and V's use these battery trays? Anybody got part numbers? This might be a way to get a lot better battery into the cars!

Edit: the pc1230 has the terminals in the wrong position for my car. + side is on the drivers side on my car!

Finally had to replace my battery today... realized that the cigarette lighter is not the correct place to plug in a trickle charger (when run-down protection mode kicks in)...
Replacing the battery was not very difficult (thanks to some tips from Cadillac Tech)... the biggest pain was getting the HOLD DOWN clamp back in and tightened up ... not much room down there to get your fingers in. Overall it took me about 15-25 minutes to change out. Hooked up the cables and it fired right up.

Even with a Battery Tender the Delco battery only made it three years. Looks like the make an Optima Red Top to fit our cars now (25, 8025-160). I hope to get one this weekend.
Bruce

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back