Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

Please Help! Very Nervous!

TREE MAN

My XLR/V(s)
XENON BLUE/EBONY
I did a search of the forum and didn't see anyone with this problem. I am hoping some one on here can ease my fears.

I have owned my XLR for 2 months without any problems whatsoever. However, when I was driving to work yesterday I noticed my engine did not seem to be running as smoothly as usual. As I look down at my dash I notice the tach jumping around a bit and in the DIC it says service traction control (the warning light for TC-off is also lit up). Just as soon as I can say to myself "WTF", the RPMs drop to zero and the car shuts off. I coasted into the shoulder, put the car in park, and it started right back up and I continue to drive to work with no problems.

On the way home from work an identicle incident happens, but again it starts back up and gets me home. This morning scared the crap out of me though. When I start the car up there are no warnings related to the TC, but before I am half way to work the same symptoms occur as yesterday but instead of once, my car shut down while driving 5 times! Each time I have to coast out of the way of traffic and restart the car.

Some additional info, if it helps... two days ago my oil light came on. I am assuming it is because my oil life said 61% on the DIC so it is time to change the oil, but is this possibly related? Also I have read on here before the stabilitrac is a bit scetchy in the colder temps, but I do allow an appropriate amount of time in the morning for the car to warm up before I drive off.

I am pretty inexperienced when it comes to this car mechanically since I have barely owned it 60 days, and I don't know any mechanic I trust with this car so I am hoping someone can enlighten me a bit so I don't just have to blindly hand it over to the dealer.

Any insight from anyone who might have experienced this type of problem would be greatly appreciated!!!

Thanks all!

-Tree

Your best bet would be to get it to a Cadillac dealler with an XLR tech to take a look at it. With those messages coming up on the DIC, it should be storing codes for them to look at. I'll try and search for some information for you and repost later.

I did a search of the forum and didn't see anyone with this problem. I am hoping some one on here can ease my fears.

I have owned my XLR for 2 months without any problems whatsoever. However, when I was driving to work yesterday I noticed my engine did not seem to be running as smoothly as usual. As I look down at my dash I notice the tach jumping around a bit and in the DIC it says service traction control (the warning light for TC-off is also lit up). Just as soon as I can say to myself "WTF", the RPMs drop to zero and the car shuts off. I coasted into the shoulder, put the car in park, and it started right back up and I continue to drive to work with no problems.

On the way home from work an identicle incident happens, but again it starts back up and gets me home. This morning scared the crap out of me though. When I start the car up there are no warnings related to the TC, but before I am half way to work the same symptoms occur as yesterday but instead of once, my car shut down while driving 5 times! Each time I have to coast out of the way of traffic and restart the car.

Some additional info, if it helps... two days ago my oil light came on. I am assuming it is because my oil life said 61% on the DIC so it is time to change the oil, but is this possibly related? Also I have read on here before the stabilitrac is a bit scetchy in the colder temps, but I do allow an appropriate amount of time in the morning for the car to warm up before I drive off.

I am pretty inexperienced when it comes to this car mechanically since I have barely owned it 60 days, and I don't know any mechanic I trust with this car so I am hoping someone can enlighten me a bit so I don't just have to blindly hand it over to the dealer.

Any insight from anyone who might have experienced this type of problem would be greatly appreciated!!!

Thanks all!

-Tree

Thanks Cubby!

I really hope it is something simple and inexpensive to repair like that.
This is a terrible time of year for a large unexpected expense to pop up.

I am about to leave work early since on top of all of this stress I am getting pretty sick, I am going to stop by Cadillac and see if they can take a look at it today.

I'll keep you posted on the issue.

Glad to help, hope it is as simple as the bulletin. Have a safe and happy holiday season!!:xmas:

Thanks Cubby!

I really hope it is something simple and inexpensive to repair like that.
This is a terrible time of year for a large unexpected expense to pop up.

I am about to leave work early since on top of all of this stress I am getting pretty sick, I am going to stop by Cadillac and see if they can take a look at it today.

I'll keep you posted on the issue.

Had very similar problems with my 04

I had almost the same identical problems with mine. Replaced the battery and everything started working again. The dealer cleared all the codes while replacing the battery and 6 months later still working ok. Hope your resolution is as simple as mine.

Merry Christmas to all on the forum!!

JIM

I agree with XLRJIM these cars do stupid things when the battery is going bad. I had the traction control/abs message with mine and I had a bad body control module. Take it to Cadillac and get it scan.

Us the same .... I've had 2 dead batterys that didn't act like a battery going dead ... weird. BUT .... I never had the car stop.

<HR>
#04-06-04-013: Lack of Power, Check Engine Light, Traction Control Light On, DTC P2108 Set (Reprogram PCM) - (Mar 16, 2004)

<TABLE border=0><TBODY><TR><TD vAlign=top width=100>Subject:</TD><TD vAlign=top>Lack of Power, Check Engine Light, Traction Control Light On, DTC P2108 Set (Reprogram PCM)</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>​

<TABLE border=0><TBODY><TR><TD vAlign=top width=100>Models:</TD><TD vAlign=top>2004 Cadillac SRX, XLR</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
<TABLE border=0><TBODY><TR><TD vAlign=top width=100></TD><TD vAlign=top>with 4.6L Northstar® V8 Engine (VIN A - RPO LH2)</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
<TABLE border=0><TBODY><TR><TD vAlign=top width=100></TD><TD vAlign=top>and Built Prior to the Following VIN Breakpoints: SRX -- 40148215, XLR -- 45600799</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>​

<HR><A href="#ss1-1474828">Condition

Some customers may comment on a lack of power, Check Engine light illuminated and sometimes the Traction Control light is also illuminated. Upon investigation, the technician may find a P2108 DTC set. The customer may also notice that if the ignition is cycled off and then restarted, the condition is corrected.
<A href="#ss2-1474828">Cause

The time allowed for the PCM software to recognize the Throttle Actuator Control (TAC) module may be too short under some conditions.
<A href="#ss3-1474828">Correction

Reprogram the PCM with the calibration below, or later, from TIS 2000.
<TABLE border=1 width="95%"><TBODY><TR><TH vAlign=bottom align=middle>Model

</TH><TH vAlign=bottom align=middle>Calibration

</TH></TR><TR><TD vAlign=center align=middle>SRX

</TD><TD vAlign=center align=middle>12590565

</TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=center align=middle>XLR

</TD><TD vAlign=center align=middle>12590555

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>The above calibrations are available starting with the TIS 2000 version 13.0 for 2003 data update.
Warranty Informationhttps://www.xlr-net.com/forums/#ss4-1474828

For vehicles repaired under warranty, use:
<TABLE border=1 width="95%"><TBODY><TR><TH vAlign=bottom align=middle>Labor Operation

</TH><TH vAlign=bottom align=middle>Description

</TH><TH vAlign=bottom align=middle>Labor Time

</TH></TR><TR><TD vAlign=center align=middle>J6354

</TD><TD vAlign=center align=middle>PCM - Reprogram

</TD><TD vAlign=center align=middle>Use Published Labor Time

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE width="95%"><TBODY><TR><TD width="80%" align=left>

</TD><TD width=42 align=middle></TD><TD width=167 align=middle>

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>​
© 2010 General Motors. All rights reserved.
</FORM>

I haven't been on in a while but I figured I'd post an update to this issue in case anyone else had simmilar issues.

When I originally brought my X in to the Caddy dealer it appeared as though they thought a software update was needed, somewhat along the lines of what Cadillac Tech had suggested in his post. They updated the computer and cleared the error codes and to my suprise the only charge was for an hour of labor. I should have known that was too good to be true because I barely made it a mile down the road before "service traction control" was displayed on my DIC.

After they looked at it again it was decided there was actually a problem with the throttle body. As it was explained to me, there are two wires that connect to the throttle body that are shorting out. Hence the random lack of engine power and the occasional stall. It makes less sense to me now that the traction control is related to this but I am going to trust the experts on this one and hope after replacing the throttle body my ride is back to operating flawlessly as before. Parts and labor are estimated just over $500, but they are going to credit me the previous charge (since all it really did was prevent me from ever using my nav in motion again lol) and throw in a 10% discount for my inconvinience. If this actually repairs the problem its pretty reasonable in my opinion.

They had to order the part so it might be a few days before the verdict is in but I will let you guys know if its successful.

Have a great week everyone!

-TREE-Man

The verdict is in...

I've tested all the conditions in which the error message usually appeared and there are no problems. On top of that I noticed the acceleration and responsiveness is back to the performace I enjoyed when I drove off the lot originally. My gas milage is even back up to respectable numbers!

The parts replaced were the throttle body, throttle body connectors (the actual cause of the problem), and some gaskets and seals associated with it. The cost for the repair after a credit and discount they generously offered was just over $500. Add to that the complimentry wash and wax they suprised me with and a 68 degree day in the middle of February and I fell madly in love with this car all over again!!!

The verdict is in...

I've tested all the conditions in which the error message usually appeared and there are no problems. On top of that I noticed the acceleration and responsiveness is back to the performace I enjoyed when I drove off the lot originally. My gas milage is even back up to respectable numbers!

The parts replaced were the throttle body, throttle body connectors (the actual cause of the problem), and some gaskets and seals associated with it. The cost for the repair after a credit and discount they generously offered was just over $500. Add to that the complimentry wash and wax they suprised me with and a 68 degree day in the middle of February and I fell madly in love with this car all over again!!!

Glad to hear she's back to normal! Not too bad, cost-wise... I'm sure you were pleasantly surprized. Enjoy! You might have some continued nice weather this weekend, I hope. :rocker:

The verdict is in...

Glad she's (or is yours a he?) back to normal...

haha I think to keeps things less complicated and considering my undying affection towards this machine it has to be personified as a "she"

although the distinction is irrelevant to my girl friend who either way is probably just greatful "the other woman" in our relationship is actually a car

haha I think to keeps things less complicated and considering my undying affection towards this machine it has to be personified as a "she"

although the distinction is irrelevant to my girl friend who either way is probably just greatful "the other woman" in our relationship is actually a car

:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back