Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

Rear swaybar parts list '04-'09

I'll let you know if I find out more.
The car ran so good for the two rides I got in before the salted roads, the last thing I want to fool around with is the computers and/or engine lights. I know more air is only good for the motor but don't want anything to change.

My sway bar just arrived. Probably do it on Monday...I guess I'll back the rear wheels up on a couple of inches of wood.
I assume I mount the bar (in the position in your photos) with the two clamps first ?
...and then add the links ?

Thanks Again, Brad

Mr. Sunshine,
I just checked out the sway bar that arrived.
So just mount it in the clamps....put each link on and then tighten all 8 to specified torque values.
Looks easy enough and will back up on to 3-4 inches of wood.
Stupid question but need to ask ...the supplied grease goes inside the rubber boots on the links ?
Thanks Michael.
I do appreciate your help. I always spend more time worrying in advance than I do working on the job.

grease attracts sand, sand and grease make sandpaper and wear out parts . Factory sway bar rubber bushings do not have grease on them. If you use any just barely coat the rubber inside. I just bought a new 1 inch (25mm) rear bar with links for 125 shipped on ebay. The vette guys take them off to upgrade. Mine had 50 miles on it. The 25mm may be too much as the v comes with a 17mm rear. If its too firm I will just upgrade the front to the z06 front bar which is a little stiffer than the factory xlr . I am betting it will be perfect due to the extra rear weight of the XLR

That's how I did it.😁

Thanks.
I only mentioned the grease because this kit came with a tiny tube of it.
I guess I won't put any...I don't want to peel back the rubber boots.
The car won't ever be used in the rain anyway.

I didn't see the message about the grease, etc. until just now. I'd definitely utilize the grease as directed. I've got Z06 sway bars & wish they were even stiffer. It has ZERO impact on the "ride". It simply helps keep the car flat in the turns.

So the grease just goes in the bushings on the bar....or it's for the link swivels but you'd have to peel back the boot....so you used no grease ?
Thanks

The end links are already greased. You just want a little grease on the bar & brushing side it doesn't squeak.

from the engeneering dept at Moog,

No grease.

The rubber bushing deforms to allow the swaybar to rotate, stretching like a rubber band and snapping back. This is the best way because it tries to return to the same position always.

Grease it, allow it to slip, and the static position is constantly changing based on the direction of approach.

Thanks.
I won't grease anything.
Just was under the car though and as simple as the job looks, had trouble already in trying to loosen the two nuts. Did you lift your car ? Will the bolts turn with them ?
Also if the 4 link nuts have to be torqued with the socket how did you hold the piece back....thin open end wrench ?
Simple things to me sometimes become the hardest.
Really hate to take the car to someone that's not so careful.
Thanks, Brad

all bolts on a car have a specific torque based on size and material. Some torques more important than others. Ie Head bolts , wheel lugs. Not so much with stabilizer link bolts. since these are a self locking type .Just give the ma good snug up. you can try and hold the back side with a thin 18mm wrench but it would have to be very thin to not damage the rubber. or you can hold the stud with a 6mm allen in the end of it and tighten the locking nut with a 18mm box end. That's they way I would do it. the nut you need to remove on the lower control arm I think is a thru bolt so you would have to hold the other end to loosen it Don't worry you do not change anything on the alignment on the control arm.

I picked up a like new vette bar for mine on ebay. Get the small one though. The big one can sling you around a corner.

Thanks.
Yes, I checked it out yesterday .....the nut to that comes off..I have to hold the bolt on the other side....the rest I'm going to do as you said as soon as I get a day off.
Also, as you found out....no grease .
Its the V bar so hopefully it won't affect the ride but help in cornering as everyone says.
Thanks Again, Brad

From what I read the stiffer the rear bar is the more understeer it creates. This can be a problem under some situations.

anyone running autocross or track days in their xlr will know how to formulate the proper sway bar and links for oversteer and understeer. None of these bars should induce that even in aggressive highway driving.. If anyone is afraid they got too big a bar, just order the adjustable links . You can perfectly dial it in. I wil lbe glad to tel lyou how.

Stock xlr people upgrade to v or vette 17mm
V cars upgrade to 23- 25 mm z06 bars
z06 cars upgrade to zr1 bars
zr1 go aftermarket because they have the biggest bar from GM

oh and size is not all that's involved the 25mm bar is just a few grams heavier than the 17mm bar as it is thinner .I would have to do the math but its most likely 15% heavier duty
really no need to get into torsional rigidity on this site . just say, you will be happy with a v bar or a z06 bar.

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back
Top Bottom