Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

The Weather Channel

Another SPRING-LIKE day in Chicago

Its supposed to get in the Mid 50's today - so another day with the XLR. They are talking SNOW by Thursday afternoon - so I am going to try and squeeze in a couple of more days before putting the XLR away and hooking up the battery tender again for Winter. Wish it were just a tad bit warmer - to put the top down. But hey - I'll take open window driving any day! :cool:

Supposed to have an inch of snow here by morning... so Chicago on Thursday afternoon sounds about right.

This has been a dream Winter .... LinSue said it has been colder in FL than IL ...

We've had Fall weather since, well, Fall .... the leaves on our maple have just started to fall and create a mess in the front yard. :rolleyes:

'Looks like a short Winter will put all of the MM's on the road much sooner!

Rod .... an inch? Hey that's hardly snow .... ;)

This has been a dream Winter .... LinSue said it has been colder in FL than IL ...

We've had Fall weather since, well, Fall .... the leaves on our maple have just started to fall and create a mess in the front yard. :rolleyes:

'Looks like a short Winter will put all of the MM's on the road much sooner!

Rod .... an inch? Hey that's hardly snow .... ;)

It's actually the most we've had this Winter... been mostly in the 50's since Fall. It's been snowing loads in Red Lodge, a skiing community about 75 miles away; I understand Red Lodge Ski Area has the best snow in Montana this year.

Well - everyone seems to love where they love .... let me show you why I love where we live .... This is today, January 13th .... at Mission Bay in San Diego ... it is the start of our weekend ... we don't have to rake, shovel, scrape or put our cars away .... It's beautiful and ours for the taking .... I am thankful to live here .... and thankful that my family and friends can too. Wish you all could come see us ....

View attachment 1639

It was bright and sunny today, though the high temperature was only 45.

We were going to the funeral of the wife's Great Aunt in a small town about 65 miles away. I decided to drive Crimson Pearl. It was a nice scenic drive on a combination of two-lane and four-lane roads, and through 3 small towns.

The service was held at the cemetary, and we arrived about 20 minutes early. As soon as we pulled up and parked, two of the men from the funeral home came up and started asking questions about the XLR!

After the service, most people met at the church for light snacks. After that, we drove over to another Great Aunt's house (sisters) and visited for a while before we left for the trip home.

All in all, I managed to make a good day out of a less than happy occasion. The Great Aunt was in her 90s and had been in deteriorating health for the last 2 years.

Out and about yesterday in "Little Bugger" with the top down. Supposed to have rain this weekend.

Out and about yesterday in "Little Bugger" with the top down. Supposed to have rain this weekend.
It was beautiful there today as well .... we left for home around 11 this AM ... it only took us about 4 1/2 hrs to get home ... as soon as we climbed out of the desert and dropped down over the mountains into San Diego we could see clouds way out on the horizon .... seems like we are going to have the same band of clouds. Historically January 28th is the coldest day of the year for us .... well, tonight it is 9:15 and we still have the front door open - what a strange and wonderful winter.

Barrett Jackson

Well, I survived my day at BJ, drove "Little Bugger" top down, turned on the heated seat on the way home at 8:30 P.M. We signed up a lot of new members for the Cadillac/Lasalle Club. Stopped by the SLP Performance booth to see Rick Hill, his wife works for Red Noland Cadillac in Colorado Springs in sales. Love the new Bentley Convertible, only $283,000 plus but will stick with my XLR, it still turns heads!!!

Robert,

What did you think of Barrett-Jackson? Was the club only there for one day? I don't think I saw them Tuesday but then we did not make it to everything. Ran out of drool :laugh:

Robert,

What did you think of Barrett-Jackson? Was the club only there for one day? I don't think I saw them Tuesday but then we did not make it to everything. Ran out of drool :laugh:
The club has been there every day and will continue to be there until it is over. Signed up a lot of new members including some from Alaska. I did not realize how large the Cadillac/LaSalle Club is until I saw the 2012 membership directory, really hugh and in all parts of the world. I really enjoyed my time at BJ and was able to park close in by using my handicap placard.

A variation of the "XLR" effect

We had torrential downpours all last weekend here. As a result, everyone was stuck inside all weekend (which includes 2 large dogs, a child, 2 cats, etc). I didn't go cruising in the XLR in that weather.

At the end of the weekend, my husband hugged me and said, "I love you, & I promise you the sun will shine again, because you are not fun to be around when you can't take the XLR out" (to be honest my calendar for the next 2 weeks wasn't helping either). :(

I guess I should just be glad that driving the XLR puts me in a good mood - & especially that I don't live where I have to store it for the winter! :willy_nilly:

Speaking of Barrett-Jackson, I'm always amazed at how beautiful the paint looks on any car or year of car. I know they probably have many, many coats of paint, but how do they get them all to shine so beautifully? It must be more than a little Zaino and elbow grease! :dunno:

Speaking of Barrett-Jackson, I'm always amazed at how beautiful the paint looks on any car or year of car. I know they probably have many, many coats of paint, but how do they get them all to shine so beautifully? It must be more than a little Zaino and elbow grease! :dunno:
The cars go into a 'READY' tent - they do everything except paint the entire car .... we watched them for awhile when they were prepping a car ... amazingly micro detailed .... then the car goes to the 'SET' tent area where it is hand wiped for a final time - no dust allowed - then it is rolled onto to the 'GO' stage where it is auctioned .... you notice only gloved hands touch the cars on and off of the stage. There was an enourmous amount of products to ready these cars - but for the most part the restored cars have mirror-finish paint jobs to begin with. Also, the lighting of the cars for television/auction is fabulous ... As many years as I have watched this on TV, only a trip to see it live can do it complete justice. The cars that are the most amazing to see are the black cars. There are not a whole lot of them because black shows every single touch ... the black cars up for auction are for the most part, absolutely flawless .... more perfect, deeper and completely mirror-like than any production line car. You are right, there has to be many, many, many coats of paint applied. The black cars - are, of course - my favorite.

The cars go into a 'READY' tent - they do everything except paint the entire car .... we watched them for awhile when they were prepping a car ... amazingly micro detailed .... then the car goes to the 'SET' tent area where it is hand wiped for a final time - no dust allowed - then it is rolled onto to the 'GO' stage where it is auctioned .... you notice only gloved hands touch the cars on and off of the stage. There was an enourmous amount of products to ready these cars - but for the most part the restored cars have mirror-finish paint jobs to begin with. Also, the lighting of the cars for television/auction is fabulous ... As many years as I have watched this on TV, only a trip to see it live can do it complete justice. The cars that are the most amazing to see are the black cars. There are not a whole lot of them because black shows every single touch ... the black cars up for auction are for the most part, absolutely flawless .... more perfect, deeper and completely mirror-like than any production line car. You are right, there has to be many, many, many coats of paint applied. The black cars - are, of course - my favorite.

Thanks Ruthie, I'd love to go there and see it all first-hand! :cool:

Thanks Ruthie, I'd love to go there and see it all first-hand! :cool:
It's the first time I ever knew that ready, set, go! applied to other than a foot race ;) All of the other stuff I'm sure everyone else knew (besides me) .... oh, and to 'count the pens' in the guys shirt pockets .... I did not know that they were sometimes the indicator of how many BJ cars they had bought ...

I guess I should just be glad that driving the XLR puts me in a good mood - & especially that I don't live where I have to store it for the winter! :willy_nilly:

But you don't get the thrill of driving her every year for the FIRST TIME. And every year it IS like the very first time behind the wheel... What a thrill!!!!! :wave::wave:

You are so right - I can imagine that - the first trip out with the top down in the spring.

BUT you still have a better attitude than I might!

Can't Wait!!!!

Can't wait to put the XLR top down either, that's why heading down south to WARM Savanah Ga. for :love: 33rd anniversary on Feb. 23rd, But we are waiting to the 1st week of March to head down hope weather fine after all the bad storms they just had last couple of days! Gonna do couple of day trips to Fl. & SC while we are there! :rocker: Caddyman Dan :rocker:

Here's an early congrats & happy anniversary to you! :wave:

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back