Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

Valet switch

jjsea55

Seasoned Member
My XLR/V(s)
2006 Black Raven XLR-V, Shale interior
In the nearly three years since acquiring my '06 V I've never been in a situation to use my glove box valet switch. I've read the few sentences in the manual, but always appreciate practical experience.

I'll be using a valet service over two nights at a hotel in New Orleans (only option). They'll park it upon arrival and fetch it upon departure, as we'll use other transportation while on location. I'd appreciate any information as to whether I should use the switch, what advantage it provides, and what I should leave with the attendant (ie. fob only, no access key). I've read where some valet switches control the speed at which the vehicle can be driven, but the manual doesn't imply this with the XLR. Has anyone had any (shudder) negative experiences?

Thanks for any input from those of you who have used valet services with your Caddy.

Turn on the valet switch and lock the glove box. The only access with the fob will be entry into vehicle and starting it, can't get into the trunk or operate the top. I don't know about reduced speed, etc. if it's a reputable place, you shouldn't have a problem. Good luck!

In the nearly three years since acquiring my '06 V I've never been in a situation to use my glove box valet switch. I've read the few sentences in the manual, but always appreciate practical experience.

I'll be using a valet service over two nights at a hotel in New Orleans (only option). They'll park it upon arrival and fetch it upon departure, as we'll use other transportation while on location. I'd appreciate any information as to whether I should use the switch, what advantage it provides, and what I should leave with the attendant (ie. fob only, no access key). I've read where some valet switches control the speed at which the vehicle can be driven, but the manual doesn't imply this with the XLR. Has anyone had any (shudder) negative experiences?

Thanks for any input from those of you who have used valet services with your Caddy.

Don't watch "Ferris Bueller's Day Off" before you go! :laugh::laugh:

Only bad experience I've ever had is I forgot to get something out of my car (wasn't a XLR) & the guy had to bring it back as soon as he parked it. He burned rubber right in front of me to let me know his irritation as he took it back a second time. Probably didn't help that it was a ritzy DC hotel, I was really young, & the car was a Ford that wasn't so ritzy. Hopefully they would treat something nicer better!

Heh... I've considered that movie, no doubt ; ) I'll try to have everything I need in luggage, and will activate the valet mode and lock the glove box as a parting gesture. This is nice hotel and I'll "assume" a high level of professionalism exists, but will additionally attempt securing favorable treatment with an above average tip on the front end.

I do like like the concept of governed speed when in this mode, however. Perhaps it's late-blooming technology, but surprised this wasn't incorporated within the XLR production scheme. Thanks for the input!

Just more reasons that reinforce the fact that I would NEVER leave my XLR anywhere with Valet Parking!

Do whatever you can to discourage any use of your car while in control of valet parking. Many years ago I had a Shelby mustang GT350, a '66. I had a Paxton supercharger installed and it was a pretty quick car. I left it with a valet parking service at a hotel in NYC. When I got the car back the supercharger was blown. Someone had exceeded its rev limit. I learned two lessons. The car was red lined 250 rpm higher than the Paxton!!! I knew that, but didn't want to spend the money for a rev limiter as I never over revved the car myself.

Heh... I've considered that movie, no doubt ; ) I'll try to have everything I need in luggage, and will activate the valet mode and lock the glove box as a parting gesture. This is nice hotel and I'll "assume" a high level of professionalism exists, but will additionally attempt securing favorable treatment with an above average tip on the front end.

I do like like the concept of governed speed when in this mode, however. Perhaps it's late-blooming technology, but surprised this wasn't incorporated within the XLR production scheme. Thanks for the input!

Here's an idea. If you have Onstar that is active, tell them a valet will be parking your XLR and to limit the car's speed. If they can slow the car down if it is being driven while stolen, they should be able to limit the speed it can be driven at. I'd contact them to find out.

I don't have active Onstar so I can't help you there. I would have to pay $200 to have 1 years service and my dealer will upgrade my system to the digital service for no charge other than the $200 for service. I might do that in the future but not at this time.

Let us know if that would work for you. Have a safe trip.

Excellent idea... but am told it would need to be an "emergency" type situation such as a stolen vehicle to get involved in that capacity... that they don't monitor specific vehicles constantly... yada, yada, yada. Also, was told they couldn't even suspend my calling privileges for those two days. Guess On-Star won't be of any help unless it's ripped off.

I'm gonna try to persuade them to let me keep the fob until time to leave. There should be no reason to move the vehicles around during that time.
Thanks for the input! I think I'll manage to get through it okay... ; )

You can take your fob with you and they can still park it. Just can't get back in till you give them your fob when you are ready to pick it up. Prevents them from going on a joy ride after they park it. I also reset the trip meter and leave it displaying on the DIC so they know you are watching them.

You can take your fob with you and they can still park it. Just can't get back in till you give them your fob when you are ready to pick it up. Prevents them from going on a joy ride after they park it. I also reset the trip meter and leave it displaying on the DIC so they know you are watching them.

I have not tried it but with the engine running and no FOB and the DIC reporting no FOB, can you change the setting for auto locking the doors, and disable the setting so the car will not auto lock after the engine is shut down and the doors are shut? :dunno:

I have not tried it but with the engine running and no FOB and the DIC reporting no FOB, can you change the setting for auto locking the doors, and disable the setting so the car will not auto lock after the engine is shut down and the doors are shut? :dunno:

The auto door lock when you exit can be changed with the info button on your dash council. Just scroll up or down till you see that command then change to on or off. So what onalaska is saying is when the car is running someone else can jump in drive it away without any signals from the fob. That doesn't seem to safe or secure? I won't let anyone drive mine I would walk the distance from the far corner of the parking lot. they could have a pen in their pocket,door dings,throttle happy,or just jealous.

Update on valet experience:

Everything went as smooth as could be desired. The Hotel Monteleone in NOLA has an entranceway into their multilevel garage off Royal St. that has an immediate covered area for 8-10 cars that can be viewed from the inside area through a series of large windows. Other vehicles are taken through and beyond this area into the adjacent garage or across the street in another multi-level facility.

The valet that met me said he wanted to keep the X in the open, more publicly viewed area just outside the windows, helped me unload and graciously accepted my $10 tip... with the understanding that he would "park her well and keep her safe". He was true to his word... parked the car in the most safe and viewable spot parallel to the windows and backed against a wall. I checked on her a couple of times while there... even had to retrieve an item or two with no issue due to its location.

Many hotels and restaurants like to keep the higher-valued "looker" vehicles in noticeable locations. This was the case in my instance and I'm grateful. Now, if I could've just pulled The Tide through in the game... :banghead:

Wow, not just valet parking but a display car behind the big glass - very cool!

Please tell me you took pictures, right?;)

Please tell me you took pictures, right?;)[/QUOTE. Actually, yes... image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    111.3 KB · Views: 348
I like your "Go Tide" appropriate bumper decoration! (Took me a second to figure out what the heck that was)

Glad to see that the "valet parking" situation worked out well! :)

Turn on the valet switch and lock the glove box. The only access with the fob will be entry into vehicle and starting it, can't get into the trunk or operate the top. I don't know about reduced speed, etc. if it's a reputable place, you shouldn't have a problem. Good luck!

I was getting out of my xlr today and the trunk release on my key fob accidentally hit and raised the trunk. So before I left the area of the car. I went in the glove box and hit the switch. Then tried pressing the trunk release on the fob again. Again the trunk raised. So my question is. It's a mystery if the valet switch is in the on position why is it that the trunk can still open using the key fob. Has anyone here had that happen?
Or maybe I should've waited for a couple minutes before I pressed it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I remember when we were leaving our "valet event" I went to open the trunk via the under-lid lift button and it wouldn't budge. Only then did I remember that I had set the valet switch to "On". I never tried the key fob, but just unlocked the glove box and flipped the switch.

A few minutes ago I tested both the lift button and the key fob with my valet switch set "On". Neither attempt would lift the trunk, but it did make the lights blink a couple of times, fore and aft. It's a pretty handy feature when operating properly and you're exposed to these type of events occasionally. Now, if we could just come up with a way to shrink that key to a more comfortable size.

Did I read somewhere that later model XLR's had a key that recessed into the fob? Maybe that was a dream... :dunno:

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back
Top Bottom