Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

Help! XM Radio reception problem

Mountsberg, Ontario, Ca., winters: Port Charlotte
My XLR/V(s)
2009 XLR Crystal Red Metalic
I would appreciate any feedback you can provide. I seem to have XM radio reception issues. My radio seems to cut in and out quite often due to loss of signal. My husband has had a couple of GM trucks with the little shark fin style of antenna on the roof and he has great reception, occasional brief loss of signal in underpasses or beside mountains etc. I can pass stand of trees near the road and loose signal, mine is cutting in and out annoyingly often even. I have yet to go on even a 15 minute drive without loosing signal 8-10 times; all be it for just for a second or so.

I had my car in for service yesterday (trunk switch replacement) and even though I mentioned this reception issue when booking my service appointment they didn’t book a time slot with the audio guys for the car so I have to take it back another time. :mad: I just bought the car last month and it came with an ongoing subscription to XM (thanks!) so I am going to assume the past owner thought it was OK, or perhaps they only drove it on open highways

Is spotty reception part of the nature of XM radio with XLR’s due to the hidden antenna or does it sound like my system has a problem?

I would truly appreciate any feedback you all can give me: what is your experience with your XLR’s reception VS other vehicles?

Likewise, has any one added some sort of antenna power booster that has made a big difference? I have no intention to bolt on anything on the outside of the car.

Thanks! :worship:

Sandy -

My '05 has the blade antenna on the trunk, and when I drive on the tree lined, hilly, curvy roads from my house to the freeway (about 15 minutes), I lose reception exactly like you do. Once I'm on the freeway, it's fine.

I don't know where their satellite's geosynchronous positions are, but they may not be located in a favorable position to provide reception where you are due to the angle... BUT...I'm sure their signal works for the NY area and your latitude is about the same as Norther NY, Portland, ME, etc, so I don't think that could be a factor...

Hi Sandy,

I recently went the "3rd Party" antenna route with mine (I got a deal on a 4 month XM subscription). My antenna is mounted on the speaker grill on the front dash (magnetic mount) and my signal sometimes becomes quite erratic (losing signal just passing a row of trees) - but then I will go a long time with no interruptions. It gets really bad when I go into downtown Chicago (not surprizing). My wife's GMC Envoy (with the shark fin) has a little better reception, but it too, would lose signal sometimes. But the XLR is definitely more "sensitive" to signal loss.

Hope this helps... just load up all 6 CD's in your changer - When the XM gets too annoying, I switch to CD's then. :wave:

... by the way - love your collection of cars. They're beautiful. :rocker:

Sandy...
My '07 has the same problems with the XM signal... and, I agree, it IS quite annoying; hence, the reason I don't subscribe to XM. I think it my be an inherant problem with the XM system in our XLR's... :ugh::(

Being close to the Chicago area; not downtown; I seldom have any problem with reception. I have talked to 'radio people' about it before and below is how it was explained to me:

There are two ways to get satellite radio: Directly from the satellite (which requires direct line-of-sight between your antenna and the satellite--clouds usually don't break it up, but tunnels and indoor or underground parking garages often do, and underpasses, tall buildings, and even dense trees can also cause the signal to drop out as you pass by because they break up the line-of-sight connection). Satellite radio signals are much weaker than AM/FM radio, so they're much more susceptible to dropout problems as line-of-sight is broken.

Big cities and some midsize cities and suburban areas of big cities also have terrestrial repeaters, the second way you can receive satellite radio in your car. Repeaters have an antenna with line-of-sight to the satellites and a transmitter to rebroadcast the signal. If you are within range of a terrestrial repeater, and the range is limited, you will still receive uninterrupted satellite radio as you go through underpasses, by tall buildings and trees, and maybe even in tunnels and garages because the local signal is strong enough so you are not dependent on line-of-sight reception. Car radios can get both simultaneously or either one. But most areas of the US do not have terrestrial repeaters. Terrestrial repeaters are an optional/where is/as is part of satellite radio service. They are specifically not guaranteed in your user agreement.

Your problem may be due to no repeater in your area, or not close enough to a repaeter. :dunno:

I keep XM in both my XLR and DTS tuned to Symphony Hall and have had no problems with reception. I even can pull into the garages at both homes and still have signals, both cars.

I have the same issues when driving through some areas that are tree lined. Every where else reception is great.

:cool:

Sandy,

Please keep us posted on any information from the audio tech at the dealership.

Thank you,
Caron, Cadillac Customer Service

I would appreciate any feedback you can provide. I seem to have XM radio reception issues. My radio seems to cut in and out quite often due to loss of signal. My husband has had a couple of GM trucks with the little shark fin style of antenna on the roof and he has great reception, occasional brief loss of signal in underpasses or beside mountains etc. I can pass stand of trees near the road and loose signal, mine is cutting in and out annoyingly often even. I have yet to go on even a 15 minute drive without loosing signal 8-10 times; all be it for just for a second or so.

I had my car in for service yesterday (trunk switch replacement) and even though I mentioned this reception issue when booking my service appointment they didn’t book a time slot with the audio guys for the car so I have to take it back another time. :mad: I just bought the car last month and it came with an ongoing subscription to XM (thanks!) so I am going to assume the past owner thought it was OK, or perhaps they only drove it on open highways

Is spotty reception part of the nature of XM radio with XLR’s due to the hidden antenna or does it sound like my system has a problem?

I would truly appreciate any feedback you all can give me: what is your experience with your XLR’s reception VS other vehicles?

Likewise, has any one added some sort of antenna power booster that has made a big difference? I have no intention to bolt on anything on the outside of the car.

Thanks! :worship:

XM radio

I have XM in both my XLR and my wife's 07 Escalade and we Rarely have a reception problem in either car. In fact we just drove to Denver and back and the only loss of signal was in the mountain pass between Mesquite AZ and St Geo Ut and around Glenwood Springs Co.

We never experienced loss of signal in the cars we had before these.

It may be since the satellites are in a geo stationary orbit the signal is a bit stronger in the southern states where the angle from satellite to reciever is more direct.. That being said I didnt experience and problems driving to the northern midwest but I was never in a really big city back there.

I do have the old fashioned wart on the X and the newer blade antenna on the Escalade.

I would have the dealer check all the antenna connections..

Good luck

JIM

Thanks to everyone who replied, I will keep you posted when I take it back to the dealer. I am extremly busy right now with work, car shows, son getting married in 10 weeks etc and I don't fancy using up a good portion of my day having to run down to the dealer to drop it off and pick it up again later. To add to that, I only just got the car a month ago and have seperation anxiety leaving it at the dealership :rolleyes: :laugh:
Perhaps if I can get a specified appointment my darling husband may be willing to take it down to the dealer for me. Anyway, blah blah blah, I will let you know if we find something wrong or not, but I am starting to think it is just the nature of the beast!

XM Service in the South

I have XM Radio in both my 2008 Tahoe and my 2005 XLR. My Tahoe has the "shark fin" antenna and my XLR has the "trunk wart".

Reception is excellent in both! I travel a LOT in the Tahoe and only experience reception problems in the mountains. There is a terrestrial signal in the Charlotte area that helps a lot.

I used to have an "outboard" XM Receiver in my prior Tahoe, and it had a menu function where you could see the signal strength of both the satellite signal as well as the terrestrial signal!

Of course, I live in the southern U.S. and perhaps have better coverage from the satellite. Did any of you folks from the Chicago area notice better coverage on the Asheville/Charleston trip?

I hope you find a solution.....I am quite fond of the XM service.

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back
Top Bottom