Cadillac XLR Net - The ultimate online hub for Cadillac XLR owners and enthusiasts!
Supporting Membership - Supporting Vendors / Dealers - Advertise With Us

Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Cadillac XLR

2008 XLR-V Alpine

Default Bruce Elam built my engine. Forgot to torque the crankshaft/harmonic balancer bolt. Blew my engine.

Sorry to say but Bruce Elam did not torque the bolt on the end of the crankshaft of my 2008 XLR-V, upon disassembly it was finger tight, which caused insufficient oiling to my engine. [see pictures] The engine had <10,000 miles [note original chalk marks on the pistons chamber] when the rods started to knock. Back in Jan of 2017 I sent it to Jake Wiebe @ Northstar Performance and now have had to retain an attorney to get him to communicate with me regarding his repair of and secure the return of the engine.

I am now in search of a reputable shop to inspect the engine. Jake told me that he put bearings, oil pump and a new crankshaft as well as his patented head bolts in the engine.
    "Multiple connecting rods were overheated (heat discoloration) as well as damage from spun bearings. I am waiting patiently on the replacements- the crank and oil pump are in. Won't be much more to complete."
    He makes no mention of replacing the discolored rods or re-balancing the engine. This makes me very uncomfortable.

Will someone please give me a recommendation for a good reputable shop to checkout this engine?
    Bruce Hatch
    Attached Images Attached Images If you have a XLR-V, who built your engine?-screenshot_20170724-180647_resized-bearings-jpg If you have a XLR-V, who built your engine?-20160122_092140-jpg If you have a XLR-V, who built your engine?-xlr-v-eng22-jpg If you have a XLR-V, who built your engine?-screenshot_20170724-180659_resized-jpg If you have a XLR-V, who built your engine?-screenshot_20170724-180651_resized-jpg 

Pit Crew
    Post Thanks / Like

from what I have read that is more of a design issue than a error in assembly of the engine. I have heard of engines being checked over their life only to one day find the bolt is loose. No warning just a heat /cool rpm sort of star alignment .

Post Thanks / Like

Cadillac XLR

2008 XLR-V Alpine

Default With less than 10k miles?

Quote Originally Posted by mickeytee View Post
    from what I have read that is more of a design issue than a error in assembly of the engine. I have heard of engines being checked over their life only to one day find the bolt is loose. No warning just a heat /cool rpm sort of star alignment .
    They [GM] should have used some Locktite on the bolt! A key way would not be out of the question for the oil pump. Bad engineering GM.

Pit Crew
    Post Thanks / Like

Default keyway

keyway has worked for a hundred years but I think they felt a tapered fit would not weaken the crank . I think I read you need 2 bolts to replace one. One is sacrificial . tighten to like 140 pound then remove it and throw it away. use another to tighten to 20-30 pounds then 140 degrees past. yep a keyway and then just goodentight would have been way to hard for them.