Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

How I Came To Buy My XLR

GizmoQ

Seasoned Member
My XLR/V(s)
2006 Black Raven XLR-V; 1996 Eldorado ESC-V
I remember seeing the concept car at a car show here in San Diego YEARS ago ... but, I never saw an XLR up close and personal until we bought Lola ...

Hey - wouldn't a thread for how we came to buy the car be cool?

O.K. I'll go first. In 2003, I started seeing pictures of the concept car in magazines. By 2004, I sat in one at the St Louis Auto Show (they let met run the top up and down). Decided right then and there that I would have one sometime after I retired again, but figured it would be ten to 15 years, hence.

As I always do when I want to achieve a dream, I put pictures up to visualize the outcome. I had an opportunity in 2006 to take a sawzaw to an 04 adding Strut grille/badges to it for a music video. I still have the 4x6 piece of the fender we cut off for the badge. That piece of fender is displayed on my "I love Me" wall.

Last year, with the discontinuation of the XLR line and the economy in such turmoil, I decided "Why not now!" So I began calling internet sellers and making offers: "$$$$$$ is how much cash I have for the car, you can sell it to me now or I'll call back and offer the same next month." I started calling back in August of last year. Started with 6 sellers all over the country and up to as many as 9 one month. And in May, after talking to the same guy at one dealer for 8 months, he said, "Come get it!" Ran down to Nashville, TN the next weekend and picked it up. Bought it with 30k miles on the odometer and will bed it down for the winter next month with 44K.

Turned 50K 10 May 2011 - that's 20K in less than a year.

I always wanted a sports car .... and out of the dozens of cars that we bought I never had one. (Ray had a 64' Mustang convertible ... but that doesn't qualify in my mind) ...... We went to every dealership out here driving everything from BMW's to Corvette, even a Skye ... everything. The 2nd car I drove was a blue XLR ... (Marc Tofolo's color) ... we were just driving past a Cadillac dealership and I saw that magnificent machine sitting out front - Ray did a U-turn into the lot ... I drove it ... and LOVED everything about it. Ray ... ever the "are you sure" person in this marriage said we needed to keep looking and not rush. Hah! After that nothing could compare. I kept wanting to go back after the blue one. Well ... you know what happens to he that waits. Yep, it was gone. About 3 weeks later he had me at a Lincoln dealership ... I don't know WHY.... but on our way out we passed another Cadillac dealership and on the pre-owned lot I saw Lola sitting up there on the lot and it was love at first sight. I took it for a test drive, brought it back to the lot and wrote a check .... deal done in probably an hour from start to finish.
I have not had a sorry day since. She is now almost 6 years old .... and EVERY time I drive her I feel like it's my first time. We have talked about giving her up several times for a Corvette .... but I just can't do it. It's like she's part of me. Hmmmph .... listen to me .... I sound like a guy. :pat:

Me... I was perusing Ebay for a new shop truck (a total to rebuild) and came upon a XLR. I thought... "What the he** is an XLR." I clicked on it and thought, "WOW... what a cool looking automobile". I emailed the link to Cindy with a note that said,"What do you think about this?" She sent back, "You know it's a convertible, don't you?" I said, " No way."
I had just looked at the pictures that were posted, none with the top down, and having not read the discription entirely. I then read the entire description and felt that I had to have it. Well, Cindy and I talked about it and she told me not to go more than $$$... well, I went a tad more than that amount. The former owner purchased my XLR in October of '07... totalled it in March, '08. I bought it in May, 08 and was driving it in late August of the same year. It has, by far, been the best automobile purchase I have EVER made!! Not only is it the finest automobile I have owned... it has brought me to this forum and the fine friends we have found here!!!

Well, my Audi A4 Cabriolet (1.8T), just wasn't doing anything for me. Although fun to drive with the top down, it's a bit boring. I started looking at Corvettes when my son, who sells Cadillacs at a NJ dealership, told me about the XLR. I couldn't afford a new one so I asked him to keep an eye out for a good used model. For about two years he saw a few XLRs come in for trade in or off lease but they were still pretty expensive.
Finally, in August of 09 he called me to come and look at one that came in on a trade in. The owner bought it from his dealership less than three year before and traded it in for one of the last 09s left on the floor.
The car was like new and it was love at first sight. With 22K on the odometer, still under factory warrantee and 100K extended coverage it was an easy decision. SOLD!!!
As we all know, the car's a thrill to drive whether the top is up or down.
PS- My wife loves her Audi.

My V found me when I sold a Jeep. I bought my dream Jeep in July 2005. She was a two door Rubicon Unlimited, dark green, and totally fulfilled my need for that Scrambler I had in High School. Well the Jeep sat in the garage for 4 years and accumulated a total of 5,500 miles. Although fun, was WAY too much work to put the top up and down and storing the hard top was too much work. So I sold the Jeep (2 door unlimited was discontinued) to a local guy in NJ who had the same idea I did; to relive the Scrambler days. With a hunk of money in my savings account and the stock market in the toilet, I sunk the entire amount into a single stock with great potential and some time to kill. Well less than a month later I had tripled my money and wanted another convertible, this time with a button. I hadn't even considered the XLR because I hadn't seen one on the road in years. I stopped at a local Benz dealership ready to purchase an SL550 and was offered a demo for the weekend. The weather was beautiful and the top was down. I put over 300 miles on the SL that Saturday and Sunday morning when the clouds rolled in and I had to put the top up. A 60 mile drive home with the top up and a kinked neck and I was completely turned off by the SL. Monday morning I returned the SL to the dealership and took my Escalade and left. That day driving home from work I saw an XLR at a local porche dealer and stopped to a look. The top was down so I immediately put it up and see about the head room, than I took her for a very short test drive. I made an offer and we went back and forth to no avail. The dealer called twice the next day in hopes of getting me to sign paper, but alas, no deal. The next Saturday I took the Harley out for a nice long ride down through Philly (had to get my cheese steak fix at Pat’s) and happened upon a Cadillac dealership just west of Philly and low and be hold a silver XLR-V with 18,000 miles certified pre-owned… I popped in for a look and was offered a test drive. I told the guy I was familiar with the XLR and didn’t need to test drive it when he said this one is a V and I really need to compare it to the standard XLR. A little convincing and we went on a nice 30 mile test drive and even got to just on a test track owned by the dealership… “How much?”… “Really…” “and it’s certified pre-owned…” SOLD! “What will you charge to deliver it up to Northern NJ?” “Really…”
Well, I drove the car home that Saturday and the service manager followed me home with my Harley on a trailer, talk about good customer service. J I absolutely loved my XLR-V and love it even more now that I’m living in Denver. I do kinda feel bad for the Harley every once in a while. She looks so lonely in the garage on nice days.

I guess I loved our older Cadillac Eldorados so much that when Jr. traded off my '94 Eldo for a '98 Concours I just lost it:mad:. He had brought me home a slightly used '88 gold Eldo as a surprise and I was hooked and followed it with a '91 and a '94. So after that, for years I drove Tahoes with no complaints. But I got the sportscar/convertible bug and since he likes "old" things (tractors, farm antiques, and me) I thought I could win him over if I found something a little more vintage. I had done alot of research looking for a Buick Reatta convertible which was affordable. And then my son made some remark about being a cheapskate and why not look for a used XLR. I found the "perfect one" on line at a Chrysler Dealer in Central IL. A retired airline pilot had traded it in with ony 2,100 miles for a Viper. They gave me his name and number in Kansas City and I learned all about it before we drove down to Roanoke, IL "just to look". It was all over when I saw her:drool:....so we took her out for a spin....I think we were both afraid to drive her.....but then I couldn't be around for the price dickering since he takes it so seriously :argue: and I was nervous. So I hung out at the Mopar show that was going on at the dealership that day and then DEAL DONE! And this was on a Sunday....they really weren't open for business. They delivered it on Tuesday. Their driver that brought it to us, had picked it up in Kansas City when he delivered the Viper so he saw it go full circle. She's pushing 9,000 now and is just as beautiful as the day she was born.

LinSue ... I did not know that ...

This is a wonderful topic! I love these stories ... because the ending is always the same ....

'...and then I found the XLR forum ..... and we all lived happily ever after!!! :blinzel: '"

From even before I was able to drive, my love for cars was so strong. Like many kids, I really loved the Corvette and vowed someday to own one. As I grew up, got married, had kids - my wife, Cindy and I started thinking about "upgrading" to a nice used Cadillac. Our first Caddy was an '88 FWD Fleetwood DeElegance... I loved the car - talk about LUXURY. Well, after that, it was a '94 Concours and then a 2000 DTS. By then, Cadillac introduced the XLR - when I had heard that Cadillac was working on a "Corvette Caddy" - I thought: "great, the best of BOTH worlds I love". Ever since the XLR was out there - I always thought that it was well beyond my reach. Last year, as Devin was getting set to get his driving permit, I had a great idea (well, great for me - I STILL don't know if Cindy is convinced it was a great idea)... Devin will need to drive something - run to the store for mom, take Jared, his brother, to practice, etc.... so why not let him drive my DTS - and I will get a "fun" car. I started browsing eBay for a Corvette - mileage didn't bother me (DTS had 150K already). Then I just decided to see what XLR's were going for on Ebay - and noticed that the high mileage ones weren't that bad. I started to search and search - mainly looking for a high mileage one. Then I found one in Philly - affordable - with 130K miles. I discussed with Cindy and told her I wanted to do the "buy it now" - afraid I was going to lose it. Cindy said - "I don't care" ... only later, did I find out that when your wife says "I don't care" - it doesn't me it is OK to move forward. :pat:
But I took care of everything - flew to Philly and drove it home. I left Philly at 3pm and drove until about 10pm - only because I needed gas... I wasn't even tired from driving. I made it to a hotel by midnight - but couldn't sleep - stayed up another hour reading the owner's manual. After a couple of hours of sleep, I continued home.

Ever since - any chance to drive it, I do. I get itchy - in the winter - I go and start it, back it out of the garage - then pull it back in.

But as much joy the XLR brings me, each and every time I drive it, it doesn't begin to compare to the friendships that I have found on this forum and the get-togethers that I've enjoyed with them and my son.

THANK YOU ALL for showing that, while we have a common interest in our cars - its the friendships that make this forum what it is to me. :rocker:

My story is I have been a car guy my whole life. I guess since I was 6 years old I was Corvette crazy. I got a job in 1974 when I was 16 years old at the local Chevrolet dealership. My job was making sure all of the cars were washed on the lot. It was a great thrill getting to drive new and used Corvettes.

I bought my first Corvette in 1976 the day after high school graduation it was a 1967 convertible rally red with black interior and a white top. This was the first of 23 other Corvettes I would buy over the next 33 years. I have also owned other Cadillacs through the years including a 1987 Allante.

I remember seeing a TV ad of this Blue Caddy at a train crossing and at that time the car was call Evoq. The car showed up at the Philadelphia Auto Show and I got to see it and said that is the best looking car on the road.

I work for a used Corvette dealership and buy most of our cars. The first couple of XLR's that showed up at auction 2003 were bringing close to 100K. I got to drive a new 06 XLR at a dealer I do business with and just fell in love with the car.

Last year I was either going to buy a XLR or a C6 Corvette to replace my C5 Vette. The problem was maybe one or two XLR's would show up at the auction vs 60 Vettes. Since I am very fussy none of the XLR's were nice enough for me. I just couldn't beleive how rough some of these XLR's were with low miles. Not to knock anyone but it seem all of these GMAC off lease cars aren't taking care of very well. Paint work, curbbed wheels, rough interiors, etc.

I was just about to give up on the XLR and buy a 2006 yellow Corvette convertible when a good dealer friend of mine called me. He said Ed are you still looking for an XLR? I said yes, he said, I just traded a 04 crimson pearl with 22k miles. The car is garaged kept and just perfect with new Michelin runflats all of the service records. So I bought it. Other than the BCM module going bad the car has been great.

I would like to upgrade next year to either a Passion Red 07 or maybe a V car!!!!

BCM module going bad the car has been great.

I would like to upgrade next year to either a Passion Red 07 or maybe a V car!!!!

Ed, I'll call you when I'm ready to upgrade!!

Anyway, my quest started at the end of 2005. I had seen the XLR at the Chicago Auto Show and feel in love. I've been a car guy forever--bleesed by my father, who had from A-Z on autos. He was a racer first though and that's what hooked me. I started researching the XLR after I saw it and knew it would be what I wanted, not only in speed, but also in comfort. I couldn't afford a new one at the time; even though my business was growing pretty well; I knew to save for our current economic situation, so it went on the 'back burner'. In Jan '06 I ran into a friend whos family owned a Cadillac dealer. I told him I would be interested in a used XLR with low miles coming off a lease or going through the GM sale. That was a Friday. on Monday he called and found a 2004 Crimson Pearl with 8,000 miles going through the sale. I told him I would pay $$$ and to buy it if it was right with them. Needless to say on that Friday I owned 'Scarlett'. She has been to both Rendezvous in Bowling Green--RII & RIII. After RIII, I started looking for my current gal ,Scarlett-V which I found in April of 2009. Besides the thrill of driving these fine Cadillacs, the best has been meeting the great people that also have the best taste in the world to own the same vehicle.

Ed, I'm now in search of my next XLR--hence the note at the begining--a 2009 Black Cherry XLR-V; preferably a two-tone interior. My search may take awhile, as only 9 were made and I'm sure the owners are just like us--THEY LOVE THEIR CAR!!:):)

Like many others, I've always been a "car guy". And that meant "GM Car Guy". My first car was a 1966 GTO that I still own. My first "new car" was a 1976 Chevrolet El Camino that I still own. I had a 1981 Eldorado that I really liked, and put a lot of miles on it when I was travelling quite a bit. I really hated it when it had to go. I had others such as an Olds Cutlass, a Turbo Buick Regal and a Chevy Lumina Euro Coupe.

I bought a 1989 Chevrolet S-10 Cameo new and still have it. I also have a 1977 Harley-Davidson FXE-1200 that I bought new. I have a tendency to clearly identify what it is that I really want, then acquire it, take very good care of it and keep it for a long time!

So of course, I was suitably impressed with the Cadillac Evoq when it was shown. And even more so when the XLR became a production vehicle! But I just wasn't ready to spend that kind of cash. The XLR was relegated to be my "if I win the lottery" car.

But when the financial crunch hit in the fall of 2008. I noticed that there were a number of low mileage XLRs starting to show up on the market. I think the financial crunch, combined with the number of people that were trading or selling their XLRs in order to purchase a 2009 model, knowing that it would be last year for them, combined to put more cars on the market than in the past.

I was looking for a Crimson Pearl XLR with Shale interior and low miles. I looked at a few, but they just weren't the "right one". And then, one appeared at the local Cadillac Dealer in the next town over. It was exactly what I wanted and had been sold new by this dealer. It had clearly been well-cared for and was absolutely flawless inside and out, with only 8,000 miles on her. This was the car for me, and I bought her!

My dealer has been top of the line all the way! The previous owner was a friend of the owners of the dealership, and they were glad to see the car go home with someone that would truly appreciate the car and care for it just like the original owner did.

It is my intention to drive my XLR for the next 20 years, and that is not at all unreasonable as it joins my other cars that I have had for 38 years, 34 years and 21 years!

Ed, I'm now in search of my next XLR--hence the note at the begining--a 2009 Black Cherry XLR-V; preferably a two-tone interior. My search may take awhile, as only 9 were made and I'm sure the owners are just like us--THEY LOVE THEIR CAR!!:):)

I just saw that car on cars.com for sale last week. The dealer who I bought my XLR from had a 09 black cherry not a V with 600 miles. He sold it and told me he would like that car in a V.

Last week I saw a V black cherry/two tone int for sale on cars.com I just did a search again and it is no longer listed.

I've been a car guy most of my life also, more interested in horsepower and handling than A/C, cruise control, power windows and other frilly options than do not really enhance performance. Long story, lots of vehicles came and went, some came and stayed, but all were fun, and degrees of fast. My wife enjoyed sharing my passion for cars. We were at the LA Auto Show and I saw the C6 Corvette. We were both disappointed, it just didn't do anything to us. Then she glanced across the way and saw a black over cashmere XLR. She grabbed my arm "You can buy me one of those." she said. We both walked over, drool running from the corner of my mouth. It was drop dead gorgeous, but no way could I justify that much money when we raising a son and I was the the only paycheck coming in. It never quite left our minds though. A few years pass, I bought a C5 Corvette, some other cars, and a special (to me) car got totaled by a jack hole truck driver. Well, the good news was that opened up a parking space in the garage. I started a short list of replacement vehicles, everything from a V8 Vega to the XLR. Those are probably as close to polar opposites as you can get. I shopped, drove, looked. I was seriously disappointed by how shabby some of the XLR's were, and lying car salespeople. I found a black/Cashemre XLR that was more than I wanted to spend and a lengthy service history. No wonder it was low miles. The previous owner only visied it at the dealer. I kept looking and noticed one down towards Mission Viejo. I called and spoke with a salesman, he sent some great pictures and gave a honest description of the vehicle, even sending pictures of flaws. I had my friend at my Chevrolet dealer run the service history and it was very clean, nothing out of the ordinary, plus it was CPO. I made plans to drive down there on a Friday night. Sitting in bumper to bumper traffic I was doing a slow burn, convinced this would be another disappointment. I roll into the dealer just as they are bringing the car up front, I stop dead, what a beautiful color (Steel Blue), and it looked clean. Too late now to make a long story short, so I might as well keep typing... it turns out this salesman is the ex brother in law of my friend! I had never told my friend where the car was, so no one knew anything. He is a car guy, a great person, and a friend now. We looked at the XLR, but he insisted I drive a few supercharged Jags just for kicks. We closed the deal on the XLR and the following day I picked up Ondrya (The XLR's name now). Every time I take her out it takes my breath away what a gorgeous job Cadillac did with her, and stayed so faithful to Kip Wasenko's original lines of the Evoq. Funny thing, both my son and my wife's boss said the same thing when they saw the car "What a beautiful car. I don't really picture you driving it." Oh yeah, I'm still looking for another Vega too.
There is mine, Tracy's and Ondrya's story.
Bruce

This Saturday, November 20th is our XLRs 1st anniversary.:D:D. Went to dealer looking for something to replace our 2006 DTS. Saw this black XLR on the used car lot and knew that this was our car. Ten minutes later we the proud owners of this fantastic car. We could not be happier then when this XLR won a "top twenty" trophy at a local car show. Love driving this car and we are looking forward to the Charleston and Bowling Green events. :D:D

Went to dealer looking for something to replace our 2006 DTS. Saw this black XLR on the used car lot and knew that this was our car. Ten minutes later we the proud owners of this fantastic car.

Isn't it funny how it's always just love at first sight???? :love::love:

I knew as soon as I saw the XLR I had to have one. The dealer drove one to my home so I could see how much luggage would fit in the trunk with the top up. Low and behold all three pieces of my Hartman luggage fit with room to spare. Having had five or six convertibles already I knew I would not travel across country with the top down so all was good to go. Since I bought it I have also purchased several new pieces of luggage that fit in the smaller space when the top is down but still prefer on long distance driving to keep the top up. I loved my Alante but the XLR is so much better all the way around.

Several of our friends bought convertibles a few years ago, Saturn Sky, Chrysler Crossfire, etc. We were enjoying our Honda CB900 for short trips, but the idea of a top down cruiser seemed like fun. I wasn't sure about a convertible so I found an inexpensive Cadillac Allante for sale on one of the forums and flew up to St. Louis and drove it home. Another friend liked the Allante so much he bought two! We had a blast taking weekend trips together. After a year the Allante started to show it's age, 1990 model with 150,000 miles and then someone at the office ran into it with a pickup truck!

I had seen a XLR in the dealer showroom when we bought our STS and knew they were out there and I started watching them on Craigslist and Auto Trader. Found one just off lease with CPO warranty and made the deal. It's been a lot of fun and I look forward to driving it to the East Coast and the Corvette Homecoming next year and meeting other XLR owners. I still have the Allante and drive it some weekdays while the XLR sleeps in the garage waiting for longer weekend drives. Two completely different Cadillac convertibles, both with their own history and personality and both loads of fun to drive. The Honda sits in the garage now and hasn't been driven in the last two years.

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back
Top Bottom