Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

Insurance Quotes

Lola's Mom

Seasoned Member
My XLR/V(s)
2004 Black Raven
This was discussed last year ... but I'd like your comments and input this year ... yesterday our quote for auto insurance came in again. We are not in a No-Fault state ... can't use FL rates.
Our insurance is currently through AARP The Hartford ... the quote is just shy of $2000 for the YEAR ... (3 autos) .... that is up by a couple of hundred dollars from last year ... So, I am shopping around today and tomorrow. I have checked with AAA - they ARE about a hundred less - but they require a membership fee ... Does anyone else have a recommendation? If you have one but don't feel like being public would you either PM me or send an email.
It's the XLR Collision that is so high ... almost double the other vehicles .... but I guess that makes sense ... :willy_nilly:

I wish I could give you some advice but hubby takes care of that department. I just drive them. :chuckle:chuckle

When I purchased the Vette I decided to look around. I also had Hartford. I wound up with Geico, just under $2,000 for the three. I figure we saved about $200+-. What really surprised me was it costs $2.00 more to insure the 06 Maxima than the Vette!! Seems strange to me! :dunno:

Floyd (BB)

I'd be happy to share rates with you, but there are too many variables to deal with on this subject. My XLR-V is not a daily driver like your is, so I estimate yearly mileage with the insurance co. as to how much it will really be on the road. I also store it in the winter months ( 3-5 months)

You also have different deductible amounts you can choose which brings the cost of your insurance down. There are also different limits to choose on what total payouts will be for different accident situations. Because I also carry a million dollar umbrella policy all my auto/bike limits have to be 100/500,000 and that adds cost to the policy as well.

Making calls and checking rates with several companies in your area is actually the best, as all companies have different formulas for different parts of the country. If you have one vehicle (i.e. Ray's MB) that is used that often you might want to list it as a pleasure vehicle with limited usage. Hope this helped give you more info for your search.

Thanks ... I am going to check with Geico next.
I am finding that rates are not varying much ... but heck, if I can save $200 that is a tank of gas! :lol:

Cubster ... you're right .. I have found that the deductibles don't change the price but a few bucks with comp ... but a whole lot for collision. So, I'm changing that.

Also, I found that AFTER my quote, when I asked was there ANY OTHER discounts that might be applicable to our policy, the agents would go through a list ... if you take the "Mature Driver's Course" offered online that is a qualifier for some company's. I did. It's good for 2 years.

Thank' you guys ...

PS While I was typing this State Farm came in .... whoa! Way up there.

I am finding that rates are not varying much ... but heck, if I can save $200 that is a tank of gas! :lol:

Cubster ... you're right .. I have found that the deductibles don't change the price but a few bucks with comp ... but a whole lot for collision. So, I'm changing that.

Also, I found that AFTER my quote, when I asked was there ANY OTHER discounts that might be applicable to our policy, the agents would go through a list ... if you take the "Mature Driver's Course" offered online that is a qualifier for some company's. I did. It's good for 2 years.

Thank' you guys ...

What's the link for the "Mature Driver's Course"? Does it cost anything? What age do they consider to be a "Mature Driver"?
And yes... State Farm IS usually way up there. Can't imagine how they continue to get policyholders...

What's the link for the "Mature Driver's Course"? Does it cost anything? What age do they consider to be a "Mature Driver"?
And yes... State Farm IS usually way up there. Can't imagine how they continue to get policyholders...

Here you go:
http://www.aarp.org/families/driver_safety/

I believe it's 55 years ...

You can check ...
this was not fun to do ... haha ... felt like I was back in school!

AllState is usually high too isn't it.

State Farm

I have been insured with State Farm since 1957 and in Colorado I find their rates are very reasonable, also when I had the Winter Homes in Florida. I get multiple discounts with them as my automobiles (2) and my home plus my umbrella policy are all with them. When I owned the motel it was also insured with them. State Farm in Florida was not writing new policies when I bought the first home there but because I had so many policies in Colorado they were able to give me coverage in Florida. They are a great company, home office in Bloomington, Illinois. They are a Mutual company which means they are owned by the policy holders. Never do business with a stock company, they are the ones that take your money to pay their shareholders. State Farm pays dividends to the policy holders. That is coming from a retired insurance agent even though I did not write Fire and Casualty I still had to learn all about it. Hope this helps. :):):)

Thank' you guys ...

If my premium ever got that low I'd buy another car! Actually I keep the daily drivers through Hartford, they also have my house insurance so the rate is pretty good. I keep the classics with Hagerty, that helps a lot on those. Good luck shopping.
Bruce

Interestingly enough, AAA also pays a dividend back to it's members at the end of each year ... and have for the past (he quoted how many ... I forget) years ... he said that each year you stay with them that the dividends are higher. I never had heard of that before, and now I hear it twice in one day. They actually have been my lowest quote today and the dividend would actually reduce it further. I am leaning toward them at this point. State Farm was 1 1/2 times my original AARP quote and they would only quote a 6 mos policy - I prefer a one year. I would say that you have extraordinary rates. I had State Farm for about 35 plus years ... both home and auto. I left them for AARP 5 years ago when a friend of mine told me how much he had saved by switching. I still have one more day to shop! :willy_nilly:

If you have at least one additional car for every adult in the family, no under 25 year old drivers, and the car to be insured is not a daily driver, Grundy Insurance may be your answer. Agreed value, no deductable ect. I have 93 Allante and 06 XLR with them and pay just over $1,200 per year for both. Forgot, unlimited mileage for recreational use. Doug-J

I just switched from State Farm to Allstate this spring.

I had Allstate when I started driving; I've had State Farm for years, but, for some reason, my homeowner's policy was getting VERY expensive! Knock on wood, I have never had a car or homeowner's claim. Allstate quoted me BETTER homeowner's insurance with a LOWER deductible for HALF of what I was paying with State Farm! I immediately gave the agent my cars as well. Allstate was cheaper, but not by toooo much on the cars.

FYI- I pay about $900/year for my 04 XLR and my "DD", a 2001 Acura MDX. The cost for either vehicle alone is almost identical - about $450/yr.

PS Insurance is also based on your credit rating. On Allstate's scale of 1 to 18 (1 being the best, 18 the worst) my agent told me I was a 1! Yeah, I was shocked too!! ;-) I always thought I was a "10"!!

Interestingly enough, AAA also pays a dividend back to it's members at the end of each year ... and have for the past (he quoted how many ... I forget) years ... he said that each year you stay with them that the dividends are higher. I never had heard of that before, and now I hear it twice in one day. They actually have been my lowest quote today and the dividend would actually reduce it further. I am leaning toward them at this point. State Farm was 1 1/2 times my original AARP quote and they would only quote a 6 mos policy - I prefer a one year. I would say that you have extraordinary rates. I had State Farm for about 35 plus years ... both home and auto. I left them for AARP 5 years ago when a friend of mine told me how much he had saved by switching. I still have one more day to shop! :willy_nilly:

AAA takes care of our cars as well as our homeowners. :) Good rates and their road side service can be counted on; unlike GM's. :(

If you have at least one additional car for every adult in the family, no under 25 year old drivers, and the car to be insured is not a daily driver, Grundy Insurance may be your answer. Agreed value, no deductable ect. I have 93 Allante and 06 XLR with them and pay just over $1,200 per year for both. Forgot, unlimited mileage for recreational use. Doug-J

So - great info. I can get quotes on our XLR and The Truck .... but do a separate one on the MB ... Thanks .... I will check into that!

AAA takes care of our cars as well as our homeowners. :) Good rates and their road side service can be counted on; unlike GM's. :(

So far, for this part of CA and our situation they are at the top of the list ....
I've still got today to shop .... :pat:

If my premium ever got that low I'd buy another car! Actually I keep the daily drivers through Hartford, they also have my house insurance so the rate is pretty good. I keep the classics with Hagerty, that helps a lot on those. Good luck shopping.
Bruce

Everything is with AARP Hartford with full coverage $500 ded. 1966 Mustang Convertible for $56 per year!!! Have it insured for $21,000. '07 XLR is $1,056/year, I suspend all coverages except comprehesive for the winter months, so it actually costs me about half. '01 Chrysler Sebring, $517/year, '94 Ford Ranger, $369/year, '95 RexAir Motorhome, $253/year. Also have $50 towing coverage per incident on each vehicle. Motorhome towing coverage is unlimited.

Everything is with AARP Hartford with full coverage $500 ded. 1966 Mustang Convertible for $56 per year!!! Have it insured for $21,000. '07 XLR is $1,056/year, I suspend all coverages except comprehesive for the winter months, so it actually costs me about half. '01 Chrysler Sebring, $517/year, '94 Ford Ranger, $369/year, '95 RexAir Motorhome, $253/year. Also have $50 towing coverage per incident on each vehicle. Motorhome towing coverage is unlimited.
That just goes to show how the rates from the same company (mine currently) vary from location to location ... :pat:

Wawanesa USA is my choice ... the 1 year quote is $600/year less. That is a lot. The difference is in the collision costs for all 3 cars - but mainly the XLR.
Thanks to all of you ... this was really worth shopping around for ...

Whew! Glad this is done. :willy_nilly:

Wawanesa USA is my choice ... the 1 year quote is $600/year less. That is a lot. The difference is in the collision costs for all 3 cars - but mainly the XLR.
Thanks to all of you ... this was really worth shopping around for ...

Whew! Glad this is done. :willy_nilly:
I'm glad your done too. You haven't been on here playing with me that much.:laugh::laugh::laugh:

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back
Top Bottom