Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

Oil leak survey

Yes that's the part and theirs no gasket only rtv or equivalent. Make sure it isn't leaking from the part itself internally and coming out the seams of the part too.

Thank you so much! I didn't want to take those off without seeing what was underneath for fear of not being able to find the gasket. Guess I won't need it.

True.
Rod ... probably happened before you got your car. The 'other' forum had quite a thread on that problem. Also have had 3 radiators put in Lola ... coolant leaks were the first sign. Ater about 26,000 and half the car replaced, knock on wood, that hasn't been an issue.
Kind of doubt it... only 6 months old and 2,075 miles when I got it.

I'm just getting ready to turn 25 k on mine. When you said 26 k on yours rod. I hope i don't have anything like that happen to me. But i'm keeping a eye on anything and everything. any minor things and i either bring it up on the forum or take it to the dealer.
Knock on wood nothing major has happened yet.

Gee I hope this don't come about like every 25-30K mine had 53K on her when I bought her and it was leaking than but not real bad so I put up with it until this year in January and had them all changed since the ext. warranty covered most of it. So now just wonder if one of the owners before me had changed at 25-30 ???

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Thanks Dan

all four of mine leak as well

There are many places for oil to leak, here are the most popular; timing cover ('04-'05) & timing cover gasket, oil manifold (above engine oil pan), lower crankcase seals, both cam covers, all 4 camshaft position actuators & housings, oil filter adapter & oil cooler lines on the 4.4L.:wave:

It is quite ugly now, about 1 drop from each after each drive. What is the fix? Doesn't appear to be a gasket between the actuator and the piece the 2 bolt onto?

The dealers have a Service bulletin on oil leaks. When I had the leak you describe they had to pull the engine and reseal the lower end. I think it was 16 hours of labor but I was still under warranty and it did not cost me. When my Allante had the same thing I was told it was about a $2500 repair.

leaks

Well gang my 05 has started to show her age a bit, noticed at the last oil change pan was wet and somewhere in the front of engine leaking, not enough to leave spots on pavement but enought to create a smell, getting on exhaust is guess. However she is coming on 161,000 miles and going strong, mabey I need to take her in for some adjustments and plugs , belts ect. Cant complain about the girl , awsome car.

After I got back from my 2 month trip I noticed several small oil drops on the garage floor. I have spence then put a flattened cardboard box down to se if she's leaking. :(. I'm crossing fingers that there is no leak. I noticed this after I had the new battery installed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rebuilt mine from a total. Purchased with 2075 miles, now has just over 42,000, no oil leaks at all (knock on wood)...

Both of ours have a couple of drips at 18k & 42k miles, had the drips since we got them with lower mileage, but hasn't gotten any worse. Gonna leave it alone until it gets worse as a badge of honor - "I am Northstar, watch me leak!" (Like,"I am woman, hear me roar")

Both of ours have a couple of drips at 18k & 42k miles, had the drips since we got them with lower mileage, but hasn't gotten any worse. Gonna leave it alone until it gets worse as a badge of honor - "I am Northstar, watch me leak!" (Like,"I am woman, hear me roar")

:chuckle :chuckle :chuckle

I've had several n*s starting with the original 93 allante up to the 05 xlr. they all leaked oil!! talk to the techs that service them they'll tell you gm got better at it over the years but never really cured the leakes on the n* engines. jmho.

Mine has had oil leaks requiring the valve/cam covers (not just the gaskets) replaced and 2 camshaft actuator gaskets.

BTW, I went with a yellow top Optima rather than the red because of it's ability to do a deeper cycle (read parasitic drain) and not an overly high cranking needs. Just my thoughts. I'm glad I did and have not had a single battery related problem since.

Think Spring!

Do these red and yellow tops need a special way of being charged not like a acid battery?

Do these red and yellow tops need a special way of being charged not like a acid battery?

Yes their are different ways of charging different battery's. On the technical side I don't know the difference. On my battery tender there are three different settings for different batteries. One is a agm, one is a gell type, and one is flooded. Mine also desulfates which is said why a battery goes bad.

leaks

I managed to make about 160,000 before I started seeing leaks, small and not droping on floor but gets on exhaut and smells. I am not sure if this has anything to do with it but I washed my engine and udercarrage at least onece a month, it always had what I call, sweat as most engines do but never considered them leaks. However I just came to california and needed an oil change and went to a local quick change joint. all they had was High end pennzoil, I almost left but they convinced me the oil was equal or better than Mobil one? anyway the leaks seem to be worse with this oil? it may just be the miles who knows. to be safe I am going back to Mob one.
Steve

Good morning Hatty!
Hope you a Dawn had a wonderful holiday season! I fully agree with that sitting in a garage and not being driven is true, your car is a perfect example at 3000 miles who would ever think it would leak! Hell that's like almost a brand new car! I had Roxy in last spring for PA inspection and they notice it leaking oil so they changed a lot of the gaskets and O rings ect...! It's good I still have the aftermarket warranty on her! Don't remember how much but it wasn't cheap!
If you get down this way sometime give me a call we will do lunch or dinner! Have a great weekend!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Dan & Wendy
" 05 GRAND DADDY"

So far with 57K on the clock, no leaks of any kind. It uses about a quart of oil per 11000 miles but from I've read, this is normal for this engine to burn some oil.

Sent a sample to Blackstone Labs and the report came back great. Had plenty left on the oil and their recomendation was to go to 13000 miles before I change again.

I'm going to go by the engines oil monitoring system (as I did with this sample) and change when it tells me to. I did have 5% left on this oil as per the system but decided to change while I had the time to do it.

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back
Top Bottom